Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,797 members, 7,824,320 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 08:13 AM

What Kind Of Movie Do You Want Nigerians To Make? - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / What Kind Of Movie Do You Want Nigerians To Make? (9991 Views)

Horror Is The Best Genre Of Movie? / What Movie Do You Never Get Tired Of Watching / I Can Solve The Problem Of Movie Piracy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Kind Of Movie Do You Want Nigerians To Make? by Seun(m): 11:07pm On Jan 02, 2008
The top 10 Nigerian movie producers come to your house to ask you what kind of movie you'd like them to produce more regularly.

How would you respond? Romance? Action? Fantasy? Adventure? Historical? Inspirational? Comedy? What are you missing?
Re: What Kind Of Movie Do You Want Nigerians To Make? by olu4life(m): 1:52am On Jan 03, 2008
Dear seun, it seems u didnt notice sumtin in nigeria movies. It may b thriller,adventure or wateva but all naija movies ar of same storyline. So therefore i wil politely walk away d producer (cos i hate naija films xcept 4 few yoruba movies)
Re: What Kind Of Movie Do You Want Nigerians To Make? by Seun(m): 2:33am On Jan 03, 2008
In other words, all you want is a fresh storyline, right? What kind? Romance? Thriller? Blockbuster?
Re: What Kind Of Movie Do You Want Nigerians To Make? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 2:38am On Jan 03, 2008
Yoruba thriller or historical epics  tongue
Re: What Kind Of Movie Do You Want Nigerians To Make? by doyin13(m): 3:02am On Jan 03, 2008
There is this particular Yoruba film. Apesin, I had a lot of time for. An historical epic as TOH put it.

The story line was engaging, fresh, the acting was pretty good.

That was enough to make the inevitable production faults unimportant.

Highly recommended
Re: What Kind Of Movie Do You Want Nigerians To Make? by janami(f): 8:19am On Jan 03, 2008
seun, try to watch total war and final war (a nigerian movie) came out 2007. Yhe storyline is unique, but wat helps the storyline along is the script itself. The director was good (didnt chk for his name) and all the actors and actresses did well. We all know that a good storyline can turn to a nightmare with bad directors, bad deliveries of lines etc. (i dey go off track o)
what i want to see in a nigerian movie is good line deliveries, very good actors and actresses (not some fake ones that they put on now a days, an old woman acting as a skool girl?), a good story (i have found in ameriacan films that even bad storyline , meaningless ones, are made meaningful with good scripts, or probably engaging even if it is meaningless), originality in everything and i mean everything (they shld try to mimick everyday life and not make it look so fake). The only thing i did not like about total war is omotola's costume when she was in liberia fleeing from the war. when in the 70's did we have the kind of jeans she was wearing? originality man.
Re: What Kind Of Movie Do You Want Nigerians To Make? by iice(f): 12:18pm On Jan 03, 2008
Agree with TOH. . .historical epics (Naija get too many culture and history)

As for the rest. . .i thought they were doing those. . .but all rolled into one

I can already imagine fantasy - mami water, half serpent woman, half bat woman, blah blah - I cringe!!
Re: What Kind Of Movie Do You Want Nigerians To Make? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 3:08pm On Jan 03, 2008
Total War sucked.

Francis Duru was terrible with his horrid Liberian "accent". What a waste of time.

Lmao icce, half bat man. hahah grin
Re: What Kind Of Movie Do You Want Nigerians To Make? by Nobody: 3:08pm On Jan 03, 2008
@post
Drama grin
Re: What Kind Of Movie Do You Want Nigerians To Make? by Iranoladun(f): 4:40pm On Jan 03, 2008
[color=#770077][/color]There are so many things wrong with Naija movies; from the choice of actors to actresses (some are just used due to their so called celebrity status irrespective of whether they match/fit the role or not), choice of costumes, locations, editing and the story/script itself. A good movies is the one that is so real/got you so carried away that you hardly remember it is a movie. When you watch Naija movies you cannot but get separated from the movies due to so many errors; someone who is supposed to be mourning but in a party dress with freshly made up face, a rich man living in a shabby house or driving a rickety car (or like someone said an old woman acting the role of a school girl), the list is endless.

Very very few Naija movies are really good (professionally speaking). I like most of the Mainframe video/film (Yoruba), they always go to great length to ensure they get the right costumes, locations, actors and actresses for their scenes.

If acting, directing, editing (in fact the whole gamut of movie industry) will only be manned/done by professionals we would surely rake in a lot of money locally and from the international community. We are a country with a very rich culture/history from North to South, East to West.

As for your question Seun, I will simply tell the man/woman to produce professional films/video bearing in mind all that I have pointed out above. It really does not matter whether it is comedy, satire, tragedy, historical, thriller, detective movies/film, I want value for my money!
Re: What Kind Of Movie Do You Want Nigerians To Make? by faketan(m): 4:43pm On Jan 03, 2008
Good movies.
Re: What Kind Of Movie Do You Want Nigerians To Make? by anusule(m): 4:55pm On Jan 03, 2008
the nigerian movie industry lacks enough professionals. the few pros are into yoruba films, like the tunde kelanis e.t.c we do not have the right technology, when you talk of cameras, we are still back-wards. artists nko? fakes, except for a few. content nko? the same old story, no creativity.
let's look at what bollywood is doing, we can't get there yet, not in a million years. grin
Re: What Kind Of Movie Do You Want Nigerians To Make? by Betty605: 5:26pm On Jan 03, 2008
Less romantic movies, more inspirational ones, unpredictable titles and story lines (i.e you can already predict the end of the movie from the title, or 10 mins into the movie which is so NOT right). LESS REPITITON OF THE SAME ACTORS/ACTRESSES WITH SAME ROLES ALL THE TIME. The projection of the voices/sound tracks should be balanced, at times when watching naija movies, some parts wuld be to low (you won't be able to hear anything) and other tyms its too loud, (you hav to tune down the volume). DEY SHOULD START USING NAIJA SONGS FOR SOUNDTRACKS AND NOT FOREIGN ONES (e.g asa, ty bello, 2face, d'banj, p-square, sasha etc) dey shoul NEVA use them westlife songs again (outdated),
Re: What Kind Of Movie Do You Want Nigerians To Make? by astronp7(m): 5:28pm On Jan 03, 2008
For me I want action. I mean real action movie. St Obi and other few almost made me glad on that but I was disappointed they went into this "Love Thing" and got trapped.

Don't they watch Jackie Chan and co. They should see documentary on how a particular movies were made. Many good movie producers do have medical teams around. Let the action flow. Rather than all this stage management that is never convincing.

They should seek ways to get sponsors, I mean its business. I still do not like the name "Nollywood" It hides under the Hollywood. Whatever name you give your pet, thats what it bears. If they don't know, let them ask us to make a nomination or voting for a replacement. I wish them well.

Happy 2008, everyone!
Re: What Kind Of Movie Do You Want Nigerians To Make? by Kobojunkie: 5:30pm On Jan 03, 2008
faketan:

Good movies.

I agree. The Nigerian movie industry seem filled more with straight-Off-the-street actors, producers and directors and only a handful of actual professionals. I hate Nigerian movies infact cause it seems 99% of the movies out there are all nonsense and nothing genuine is being offered. We are Nigerians and we have a lot of offer when it comes to plots but it seems even the directors do not know how to deliver when it comes to turning good scripts into great pieces on the screen. I say we send them all back to school and have them learn what it really means to make a movie and the why of it. It is not just about pretty gals and good looking men or about putting trashy clothing on the women folk or faking an accent or making sure there is at least one or two "white" people in every other scene. It is more than that. I remember the films from the old days. Directors like Jimmy Odumosu or something like that. That guys movies where the bomb. That guy made a thriller that scared the crap out of me as a teen and I still shake when I remember that movie. It was clean and classic.  He did not have to overdo it and he did a good job. We need clean classy movies, not more fake annoying copies of what has already been made, nigerian style.  

One would almost think any tom, dick and harry who can rent a camera makes a movie these days in Nigeria. Many of the movies out there with up to 3 or 4 sequels can be cut down to one and actually work better than way. I can go on and on about Nigerian movies today and how bad they are but then I understand it is all for making money for most and so I do not blame them much.
Re: What Kind Of Movie Do You Want Nigerians To Make? by TheSly: 5:36pm On Jan 03, 2008
good unpredictable movie! . . . im sick of watchin' movies which u'll already kno where and how its gon end! angry
Re: What Kind Of Movie Do You Want Nigerians To Make? by niceuzor: 5:40pm On Jan 03, 2008
@TOH
Wow! how did you know that?they taught him the liberian english
i wish i was the one that act that part i will speak its perfectly.
Re: What Kind Of Movie Do You Want Nigerians To Make? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 5:45pm On Jan 03, 2008
Iranoladun:

[color=#770077][/color]
Very very few Naija movies are really good (professionally speaking). I like most of the Mainframe video/film (Yoruba), they always go to great length to ensure they get the right costumes, locations, actors and actresses for their scenes.

If

Seriously Ti Oluwa Nile alone is better than 95% of Nollywood movies.
Re: What Kind Of Movie Do You Want Nigerians To Make? by aikayboy(m): 6:25pm On Jan 03, 2008
I would want Nigerians to make movies that would challenge and not insult my intelligence. I do not watch Nigerian movies primarily 'cos I don't have that sort of patience to wait till the end of the movie to be asked, 'Children, what did you learn from this movie?' I'd dare say that all Nigerian movies fit into a particular stereotype, which makes watching very boring indeed.

By the way, I do not believe Nigerians should do all genres of movies yet. Let us stick with drama and comedy, and leave the rest till Nigeria as a country catches up with the rest of the world in terms of more advanced video manipulation. I would love to see a proper Nigerian action movie with realistic ammo and stunts. Small, small sha.
Re: What Kind Of Movie Do You Want Nigerians To Make? by kpomkwem(m): 7:14pm On Jan 03, 2008
I want to see more comedies. There's way too many drama and romance movies (99% with the same story line), but not enough comedies.
I would also like to see science fiction and suspense/thriller movies.
I wonder what a Naija sci-fi movie would look like - flying okada motorcycles, 419 in space, interesting!
Re: What Kind Of Movie Do You Want Nigerians To Make? by dempeople(m): 7:43pm On Jan 03, 2008
Considering that Hollywood is USA's greatest export(though this is my observation), i believe that Nollywood should be making movies which would make a great country of ours, and indeed,the continent itself.Patriotism etc should come naturally to Nigerians and Africans as a whole, from the making of such films. smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley
Re: What Kind Of Movie Do You Want Nigerians To Make? by A40(m): 8:03pm On Jan 03, 2008
Why dont they try I am Legend the film by Will Smith
Re: What Kind Of Movie Do You Want Nigerians To Make? by oldie(m): 8:26pm On Jan 03, 2008
@ Seun
The people who really watch Nigerian movies are not on this forum
Go to Ajegunle, Mushin, Alaba etc
You will get the right answer

Then quality of production will be an added asset
Re: What Kind Of Movie Do You Want Nigerians To Make? by IYaeto(f): 8:33pm On Jan 03, 2008
Story lines that make a lot of sense with a line up of a very good cast,props,diction,costumes, continuity and a whole lot more.
wink.
Not a line up of people who pronounce "bitch" as " "bilch". "Footballer" as "fuborrer" . "Chelsea"as "Shersea". The list goes on and on. I won't mention names wink
Re: What Kind Of Movie Do You Want Nigerians To Make? by ow11(m): 8:36pm On Jan 03, 2008
A movie about Love, comedy, their favourite 'Karma' but please no special effects of any kind. If they can't spend money to do an effect, then they shouldnt bother. Just clean movies like the American chick flicks.

Why dont the movies go to the cinema instead of straight to VCD. people will pay to watch a home video for 500 naira rather than 2000 for a foreign one.
Re: What Kind Of Movie Do You Want Nigerians To Make? by davidif: 8:38pm On Jan 03, 2008
I would love to see big budget epic nigerian movie like gladiator, spartacus or apocalypto but focusing on ancient naija heroes like Queen Amina of Zaria, Usman Dan Fodio, or even King Jaja of Opobo who fought the british. I would also love to see an epic movie like the Jihad of the 1800's. My oyinbo friend who went to Uganda said the place is flooded with naija movies and that our movies are absolutely awful. Its about time we saw a big screen adaptation of "The Passport of Mallam Illiya" which was an amazing book and a TV series like the Eze adventures (Eze goes to school and the other books).

There is so much content to make movies on in naija but our producers and screenwriters have absolutely no creativity and no inspiration, they always want to make things they don't see like life in America. Someone once told me that if you want to watch a movie, just take your camera to your balcony in naija and watch the drama and the craziness that enfolds in our daily lives, those who have lived in Lagos (Oshodi, Yaba etc) can definitely identify with what i am saying that there is so much inspiration everywhere that all you need to do is to open your eyes to what goes on around you. In the developed world, life is so much bland and monotonous and lacks drama and spontaniety unlike naija where Murphy's law (whatever can go wrong will go wrong) is the rule of the day. That's why oyinbo dramas are usually boring and lack passion and spontaniety but they make up for that in good script writing.

We also need to focus on local content instead of focusing on what goes on in the westernized world of the bourgeoise, where you have some fake wannabe yanki accented actors. Oyinbo movie directors would kill to live in a society filled with sooooooo much ideas but we don't make use of them, and we have actors dressing westernized speaking with some stupid awful accent and claiming to be americans, USELESS TRASH.
Re: What Kind Of Movie Do You Want Nigerians To Make? by DisGuy: 8:44pm On Jan 03, 2008
Action movies!

I'll like to see a real car crash, they should stop showing actors with bandage and water drip
and real gunshot-especially the Yoruba films they still use toy guns with the red plastic cap attached to it cheesy

I'll like to see a film with Igbo actors playing Igbo roles, hausa actors playing hausas and Yorubas playing themselves
kannywood, igbowood and the other one wink

Fatia Balogun playing the role of a student undecided how much is it to get real students from the uni theatre departments?
they all want to make quick money

they should also stop killing animals; it's gross
Re: What Kind Of Movie Do You Want Nigerians To Make? by Nobody: 9:06pm On Jan 03, 2008
Seun it's not about romance, action etc. I want quality. Nigerian producers are interested in the money not the quality of the screen and sound. For example you can hear chickens crowing at the background of a presumed "important" discussion between actors. They should also stop picking mediocre actors with thick igbotic accent with no command of english. I prefer they speak their languages if you do not know how to speak english. For example, I watched a naija 'movie' where a woman caught her husband with another woman. I was really impressed because she addressed her husband in their language and you could feel her pain.

I would like to see more of the everyday life of the Nigerian youth portrayed in movies.  There is no teenage naija movie out there. I do not mean an old woman playing a teen part.

davidif:

I would love to see big budget epic nigerian movie like gladiator, spartacus or apocalypto but focusing on ancient naija heroes like Queen Amina of Zaria, Usman Dan Fodio, or even King Jaja of Opobo who fought the british. I would also love to see an epic movie like the Jihad of the 1800's. My oyinbo friend who went to Uganda said the place is flooded with naija movies and that our movies are absolutely awful. Its about time we saw a big screen adaptation of "The Passport of Mallam Illiya" which was an amazing book and a TV series like the Eze adventures (Eze goes to school and the other books).

There is so much content to make movies on in naija but our producers and screenwriters have absolutely no creativity and no inspiration, they always want to make things they don't see like life in America. Someone once told me that if you want to watch a movie, just take your camera to your balcony in naija and watch the drama and the craziness that enfolds in our daily lives, those who have lived in Lagos (Oshodi, Yaba etc) can definitely identify with what i am saying that there is so much inspiration everywhere that all you need to do is to open your eyes to what goes on around you. In the developed world, life is so much bland and monotonous and lacks drama and spontaniety unlike naija where Murphy's law (whatever can go wrong will go wrong) is the rule of the day. That's why oyinbo dramas are usually boring and lack passion and spontaniety but they make up for that in good script writing.
We also need to focus on local content instead of focusing on what goes on in the westernized world of the bourgeoise, where you have some fake wannabe yanki accented actors. Oyinbo movie directors would kill to live in a society filled with sooooooo much ideas but we don't make use of them, and we have actors dressing westernized speaking with some stupid awful accent and claiming to be americans, USELESS TRASH.
Re: What Kind Of Movie Do You Want Nigerians To Make? by janami(f): 9:43pm On Jan 03, 2008
too many epic films with repetitive storylines in the market now tongue
@TOH and niceuzor
Total war sucked? see, u have a right to ur own opinions o.
i pride myself in analysing movies and i give credit where it is due. Total war had a few flaws, so that doesnt stop me from praising the line deliveries and the very unique storyline. Francis duru was speaking like a very crazed military man, a man with no direction at all, (a scatter brain)liberian or not, see u guys have to learn to read between the lines in a movie. The state of his mind was reflected in his speech.That is one other thing i loved about the movie. criticisms of movies goes beyond just speculations. They taught him to speak the liberian english, what did u expect? he was playing a part not claiming the part as real life. we are too quick to put nigerian things down. We shld learn to be more appreciative
Re: What Kind Of Movie Do You Want Nigerians To Make? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 9:46pm On Jan 03, 2008
Im appreciative of good things, not crap

Thank God for MainFrame.
Re: What Kind Of Movie Do You Want Nigerians To Make? by janami(f): 10:01pm On Jan 03, 2008
ThiefOfHearts:

I'm appreciative of good things, not crap

Thank God for MainFrame.
lol, crap? then my dear, try and give ur definition of a good film ok? then we just mite know wat u mean by "crap" kiss
Re: What Kind Of Movie Do You Want Nigerians To Make? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 10:24pm On Jan 03, 2008
would you like a list of non-crappy movies?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Subscribe To Iroko Mobile And Get Data Free Download / The Most Violent Anime You've Ever Watched? / Nigeria's Nollywood Eclipsing Hollywood In Africa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.