Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,190 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 04:03 AM

Horror Is The Best Genre Of Movie? - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Horror Is The Best Genre Of Movie? (2704 Views)

Which Is Your Favorite Genre Of Movies? / What Kind Of Movie Do You Want Nigerians To Make? / I Can Solve The Problem Of Movie Piracy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Horror Is The Best Genre Of Movie? by eugy45(m): 1:11am On Dec 21, 2014
Am a big fan of horror movies, and to me, i feel it's the most intriguing Genre of movie. The blood-shedding and the violence just seem cool and never boring. So what's u guys opinion? What Genre of movie do u enjoy best?
Re: Horror Is The Best Genre Of Movie? by Nobody: 1:36am On Dec 21, 2014
@OP, when i was ur age, i was scared of horror movies.. Now kids love 'em horrors, wat's this generation turning to btw?
Re: Horror Is The Best Genre Of Movie? by eugy45(m): 1:46am On Dec 21, 2014
youngpol:
@OP, when i was ur age, i was scared of horror movies.. Now kids love 'em horrors, wat's this generation turning to btw?
My age? Do u knw me?
Re: Horror Is The Best Genre Of Movie? by EstarKeys(f): 6:19am On Dec 21, 2014
eugy45:
Am a big fan of horror movies, and to me, i feel it's the most intriguing Genre of movie. The blood-shedding and the violence just seem cool and never boring. So what's u guys opinion? What Genre of movie do u enjoy best?
...woa! Jux like me...i love horror movies alot
Re: Horror Is The Best Genre Of Movie? by Guykhena(m): 6:26am On Dec 21, 2014
eugy45:

OP,you're not alone,,the thrills I get is just unbeatable..
Even as a little kid back then,I loved the scare,always saw it as a challenge .

Btw I'm also a big fan of the "Comedy Genre",everyone needs a good laugh once in a while smiley .
Re: Horror Is The Best Genre Of Movie? by eugy45(m): 12:42pm On Dec 21, 2014
Just finished seeing 'Deliver us from evil' now...nt too horror, jus scary
Re: Horror Is The Best Genre Of Movie? by eugy45(m): 5:08pm On Dec 21, 2014
EstarKeys:
...woa! Jux like me...i love horror movies alot
Hmm dats weird tho...seeing a lady watching horror movies
Re: Horror Is The Best Genre Of Movie? by EstarKeys(f): 5:32pm On Dec 21, 2014
eugy45:

Hmm dats weird tho...seeing a lady watching horror movies
weird buh unique
Re: Horror Is The Best Genre Of Movie? by eugy45(m): 5:42pm On Dec 21, 2014
EstarKeys:
weird buh unique
Yeah exactly, unique!...nice

1 Like

Re: Horror Is The Best Genre Of Movie? by severee(m): 5:19pm On Dec 26, 2014
Well, I don't know if horror is the best genre but its certainly the laziest. All horror movies have the same storyline,the same plot even the same concept they hardly try anything new:
-if you are a vampire, you'll never look scary
-if you are a werewolf, you'll be poorly made
-if you are a mansion you will be haunted by ghosts of some evil dude that cursed the house and sacrificed himself on the land
- if you are a little child you'll have an imaginary friend who is actually one of the dangerous ghosts that want to hurt your family
-if you are a parent, you will be possessed by evil spirit and made to murder your family
-if you are a pet, grin you are gonna die
I mean its so bad that sometimes you can't even tell them apart

1 Like

Re: Horror Is The Best Genre Of Movie? by HenCq15: 6:44pm On Dec 26, 2014
Re: Horror Is The Best Genre Of Movie? by eugy45(m): 12:12pm On Jan 07, 2015
severee:
Well, I don't know if horror is the best genre but its certainly the laziest. All horror movies have the same storyline,the same plot even the same concept they hardly try anything new:
-if you are a mansion you will be haunted by ghosts of some evil dude that cursed the house and sacrificed himself on the land
- if you are a little child you'll have an imaginary friend who is actually one of the dangerous ghosts that want to hurt your family
-if you are a parent, you will be possessed by evil spirit and made to murder your family
that's not true...not same story line, jus dah we all know its horrror and ul definitely get to see d werewolfs nd vampires
am not even a big fan of vampire, i love bloody horror like ''evil dead''
Re: Horror Is The Best Genre Of Movie? by severee(m): 9:38pm On Jan 13, 2015
eugy45:

that's not true not same story line, jus dah we all know its horrror and ul definitely get to see d werewolfs nd vampires
am not even a big fan of vampire, i love bloody horror like ''evil dead''
angry are you calling me a liar?!
grin my friend kneel down there
Re: Horror Is The Best Genre Of Movie? by tonididdy(m): 6:08pm On Jan 14, 2015
My fav also...I kickd off 2015 with a new release ”jessebella” and ”oujia” .try c em
Re: Horror Is The Best Genre Of Movie? by parrotibaba(m): 7:28pm On Jan 14, 2015
severee:
u r lying big time n horror does not stop at vampires ,werewolves or ghosts, it spreads further to d supernatural..., Angels ,demons ,God, d devil,evil omens ,curses...

As a kid I watched a lot of naija horror movies n it scared d crap outta me but as I grew ,I began to appreciate d genre ,it's d best for me
Re: Horror Is The Best Genre Of Movie? by severee(m): 8:46pm On Jan 14, 2015
parrotibaba:
u r lying big time n horror does not stop at vampires ,werewolves or ghosts, it spreads further to d supernatural..., Angels ,demons ,God, d devil,evil omens ,curses...

As a kid I watched a lot of naija horror movies n it scared d crap outta me but as I grew ,I began to appreciate d genre ,it's d best for me

oh really? Oya name 1 horror Movie that didn't rely on conventional plot devices like urban legends or serial killers or some curse or some stalker/hitcher/drifter or unnecessary jolts in almost every scene, name 1 horror movie that actually had a storyline, character development and a chance to see actors actually do some acting.
grin No go wikkipedia and IMDB o gimme one from your head
Re: Horror Is The Best Genre Of Movie? by parrotibaba(m): 12:13am On Jan 15, 2015
severee:

oh really? Oya name 1 horror Movie that didn't rely on conventional plot devices like urban legends or serial killers or some curse or some stalker/hitcher/drifter or unnecessary jolts in almost every scene, name 1 horror movie that actually had a storyline, character development and a chance to see actors actually do some acting.
grin No go wikkipedia and IMDB o gimme one from your head
The Rite.
Re: Horror Is The Best Genre Of Movie? by severee(m): 12:35am On Jan 15, 2015
parrotibaba:
The Rite.

Well
1. The rite may be creepy but its not a horror movie that's like calling "constantine" a horror movie
2. Its just another "exorcist" kind of movie

grin try again
Re: Horror Is The Best Genre Of Movie? by parrotibaba(m): 11:19am On Jan 15, 2015
severee:

Well
1. The rite may be creepy but its not a horror movie that's like calling "constantine" a horror movie
2. Its just another "exorcist" kind of movie

grin try again
then u don't know what a horror movie is about ...another one Texas Chainsaw 3D
Re: Horror Is The Best Genre Of Movie? by severee(m): 3:18pm On Jan 15, 2015
parrotibaba:
then u don't know what a horror movie is about

On the contrary, you are the one who is mixing up movie genres just because it has supernatural elements in it, as long as its not a:
Salsher flick
Zombie flick
Urban legend
Or even a torture p*rn flick, then its not a pure horror movie. Even wikkipedia classifies the rite as a supernatural thriller

parrotibaba:
...another one Texas Chainsaw 3D

grin are you kidding? I asked for a unique unconventional horror flick and you gimme texas chainsaw 3D? A movie about a masked dude chasing after teenagers that can't act, that is like the same story with:

-Friday 13th
-Halloween
-Scream
-Urban legends
-I know what you did last summer
-Sorority row
And these are just the few names I can come up with from the top of my head

Try again.

1 Like

Re: Horror Is The Best Genre Of Movie? by parrotibaba(m): 4:24pm On Jan 15, 2015
severee:

On the contrary, you are the one who is mixing up movie genres just because it has supernatural elements in it, as long as its not a:
Salsher flick
Zombie flick
Urban legend
Or even a torture p*rn flick, then its not a pure horror movie. Even wikkipedia classifies the rite as a supernatural thriller

grin are you kidding? I asked for a unique unconventional horror flick and you gimme texas chainsaw 3D? A movie about a masked dude chasing after teenagers that can't act, that is like the same story with:

-Friday 13th
-Halloween
-Scream
-Urban legends
-I know what you did last summer
-Sorority row
And this is just the few names I can come up with from the top of my head

Try again.
dude check d definition of horror movie in Wikipedia n it will clearly tell u dat d supernatural is a theme in horror so u don't even know what attributes a horror movie possesses, shame really,...anyways I made a mistake ,d one I watched was d Texas chainsaw massacre;The beginning not d 3D ,d beginning came out in '06 ,u need to check dat one out
Re: Horror Is The Best Genre Of Movie? by severee(m): 8:14pm On Jan 15, 2015
parrotibaba:
dude check d definition of horror movie in Wikipedia n it will clearly tell u dat d supernatural is a theme in horror so u don't even know what attributes a horror movie possesses, shame really

grin lol! so movies like harry potter,beetle juice and ghost busters are horror movies abi? Don't make me laff abeg. look there are supernatural/fantasy movies, there are horror movies and sometimes there are supernatural-horror movies like haunter,conjuring etc the movie "the rite" just happens to be a supernatural-thriller even though I'm to accept it as a horror flick, its just another exorcist movie like the exorcism of emily rose and co , nothing new or special
parrotibaba:

,...anyways I made a mistake ,d one I watched was d Texas chainsaw massacre;The beginning not d 3D ,d beginning came out in '06 ,u need to check dat one out

Guy whether na childs play part 1 or freddie vs jason all dey under the same lazy and generic slasher genre which has been my point right from the beginning
Re: Horror Is The Best Genre Of Movie? by parrotibaba(m): 8:45pm On Jan 15, 2015
severee:

grin lol! so movies like harry potter,beetle juice and ghost busters are horror movies abi? Don't make me laff abeg. look there are supernatural/fantasy movies, there are horror movies and sometimes there are supernatural-horror movies like haunter,conjuring etc the movie "the rite" just happens to be a supernatural-thriller even though I'm to accept it as a horror flick, its just another exorcist movie like the exorcism of emily rose and co , nothing new or special

Guy whether na childs play part 1 or freddie vs jason all dey under the same lazy and generic slasher genre which has been my point right from the beginning
see u moving from one direction to another ,from supernatural is not part of horror to it's part of horror ,bro ,one thing is for sure ,horror is a genre n supernatural is part of it ,just watch d chainsaw massacre;the beginning n we will talk ,d horror genre is d best not d lazy action ,adventure or super hero genres ,dos ones r super predictable ,in d chainsaw massacre ,everybody died ,a thing dat is rare in d other genres ,look at final destination ,same stuff ...Case closed
Re: Horror Is The Best Genre Of Movie? by parrotibaba(m): 8:59pm On Jan 15, 2015
FYI The Harry Porter series is a fantasy movie not horror ,same as d ghost busters which is an American science ,fantasy ,comedy film(according to Wikipedia) were as d beetle juice is a horror/comedy movie ,just so u know ,u can mix different themes from different genres together ,like de TV show Supernatural ,is a horror/action/comedy series ,dats d reason some horror movies ain't scary cos dia might be a hint of fantasy or comedy in it ,but d horror movies dat involves d dark themes of horror r scary ,themes like occult ,black magic ,supernatural ,etc
Re: Horror Is The Best Genre Of Movie? by severee(m): 9:45pm On Jan 15, 2015
parrotibaba:
see u moving from one direction to another ,from supernatural is not part of horror to it's part of horror ,bro ,one thing is for sure ,horror is a genre n supernatural is part of it

undecided I had a feeling I was going to fast for you.
ok let me explain to you sloooooooooowly, there are horror movies e.g: Psycho, cannibal holocaust etc which of course have no supernatural theme attached, then there are supernatural/fantasy movies e.g: clash of the titans,frozen etc then there are times when they mix these two genres hence supernatural-horror e.g: insidious etc,its just like when we have comedy-action movies(combination of the comedy genre and the action genre)abi is comedy part of action?
Lol! grin let's see how you'll try to twist my words this time
parrotibaba:
just watch d chainsaw massacre;the beginning n we will talk ,d horror genre is d best not d lazy action ,adventure or super hero genres ,dos ones r super predictable ,in d chainsaw massacre ,everybody died ,a thing dat is rare in d other genres ,look at final destination ,same stuff ..
yinmu! Horror flicks are not predictable? all slasher movies have these in common the killer is a sicko, there are victims who are trapped and can't join together to beat on the killer for some reason and the killer always gets away with it cause he never dies in the end or he resurrects for some really st*pid reason just so greedy and lazy movie producers can continue making more sequels, so texas chainsaw massacre neither enticed nor surprised me.
As for final destination the "shock value" factor failed because the movie was flat out terrible I mean the movie had a very poorly written script, as well as poorly written and narrated plot I couldn't even root for any of the characters cause they had no background stories or elements that the viewers could relate to. Guy gimme better horror flick wey go blow my mind
not all these commercial lazy movies you've been mentioning
Re: Horror Is The Best Genre Of Movie? by parrotibaba(m): 10:20pm On Jan 15, 2015
you just don't quit do u? I'm not going to twist anything u said cos u r already doing dat ur self ,we started arguing about how supernatural is a part/not a part of horror n now u r veering in another direction ...d first half of ur recent post is exactly what my last post is talking about ,u said dat supernatural ain't part of horror n I gave u evidence dat supernatural is part of horror which was why I mentioned d movie "The rite" .Still u didn't want to accept ur mistake ,u went ahead to mention 3 movies(only one was a horror movie) in which u were trying to prove to me that de r not horror cos de r not scary n dis led me to explaining to u about how movie genres can mix themes with different themes from different genres i.e u can get an action/comedy/horror movie ,now dis movie is not meant to be scary but it has hints of horror in it ,an example I gave on my last post was d TV show "supernatural" ,which is an action/comedy/horror series n it ain't scary cos of it contains comedy in it...The movie "The rite" is a pure horror movie because it contains d supernatural theme which is a core part of d horror genre ,what more do u want me to say eh? Horror does not limit to d macabre theme ,it involves d supernatural theme(macabre n supernatural being d two main themes) ,d occult theme ,d black magic theme ,etc so u don't expect a horror flick to be just about vampires werewolves n ghosts or psychopaths n monsters no! ,it also deals with occults ,God ,the devil ,angels, demons ,witches ,warlocks ,wizards ,banshees ,anything supernatural...

You know what? why don't u hit d internet n research more on horror cos I'm done with d argument ,can't explain myself any further...
Re: Horror Is The Best Genre Of Movie? by severee(m): 11:28pm On Jan 15, 2015
parrotibaba:
you just don't quit do u?

grin Well if you weren't being such a clown perhaps I would have gotten bored and quit

parrotibaba:
I'm not going to twist anything u said cos u r already doing dat ur self ,we started arguing about how supernatural is a part/not a part of horror n now u r veering in another direction
undecided horror movies are lazy,horror movies are generic,supernatural movies and horror movies are not of the same genre,these were my points and it never changed

parrotibaba:
...d first half of ur recent post is exactly what my last post is talking about ,u said dat supernatural ain't part of horror n I gave u evidence dat supernatural is part of horror which was why I mentioned d movie "The rite" .Still u didn't want to accept ur mistake

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rite_(2011_film)
"The rite" is a supernatural thriller glad to have gotten this out of our system now let's move on

parrotibaba:
u went ahead to mention 3 movies(only one was a horror movie) in which u were trying to prove to me that de r not horror cos de r not scary n dis led me to explaining to u about how movie genres can mix themes with different themes from different genres i.e u can get an action/comedy/horror movie
Very funny you said definition of horror has "supernatural" in it, now you wan change mouth talk say supernatural na seperate genre? wink nice try

parrotibaba:
,now dis movie is not meant to be scary but it has hints of horror in it ,an example I gave on my last post was d TV show "supernatural" ,which is an action/comedy/horror series n it ain't scary cos of it contains comedy in it...The movie "The rite" is a pure horror movie because it contains d supernatural theme which is a core part of d horror genre

grin congratulations you have succeeded in confusing the both of us guy you should go into comedy

parrotibaba:
what more do u want me to say eh?
Er.......how about giving me the title of a good horror movie? This has been my only request since my first post, you are just complicating everything

parrotibaba:
Horror does not limit to d macabre theme ,it involves d supernatural theme(macabre n supernatural being d two main themes) ,d occult theme ,d black magic theme ,etc so u don't expect a horror flick to be just about vampires werewolves n ghosts or psychopaths n monsters no! ,it also deals with occults ,God ,the devil ,angels, demons ,witches ,warlocks ,wizards ,banshees ,anything supernatural...
grin sure! horror only limits itself to badly written stories with poor theatrics and poor sense of creativity

parrotibaba:
You know what? why don't u hit d internet n research more on horror cos I'm done with d argument ,can't explain myself any further...
grin guy just let it go horror is the laziest genre there is #LiveWithIt

1 Like

Re: Horror Is The Best Genre Of Movie? by severee(m): 11:43pm On Jan 15, 2015
parrotibaba:
FYI The Harry Porter series is a fantasy movie not horror ,same as d ghost busters which is an American science ,fantasy ,comedy film(according to Wikipedia)

My point exactly these aren't horror flicks yet they possess that supernatural element which you have solely given to horror.
And FYI you still haven't named one horror flick to support your claim that horror is the best genre ever
Re: Horror Is The Best Genre Of Movie? by TosinAji: 11:16am On Jan 16, 2015
severee:

Very funny you said definition of horror has "supernatural" in it, now you wan change mouth talk say supernatural na seperate genre? wink nice try

grin congratulations you have succeeded in confusing the both of us guy you should go into comedy

Haha me sef I wuz jst as confused as u wen readin

parrotibaba's last post but nway mr.severe I tink u r
jst being 2 critical its jst a movie d stories & d

performances r nt strong because d genre isnt one

based on stories & performances it's my best genre

because even with bad performances from d actors

and regular storylines it never gets old & still gives

u d same thrill time and time again
Re: Horror Is The Best Genre Of Movie? by vivaciousvivi(f): 12:05pm On Jan 16, 2015
eugy45:

Horror is by far the best genre of all. I absolutely love them. I used to get funny stares when I request for film CDs in the past. Now I just download my horror movies at my convenience at home. However, even horror films to me have their categories - Vampires and zombies (which I loathe tongue), , ghost stories and haunts (my fave cheesy), psychological thrillers (I manage), and maybe religious and exorcisms. Not all horror is deemed as scary to me. Just depends on the theme.
Re: Horror Is The Best Genre Of Movie? by severee(m): 12:46pm On Jan 16, 2015
TosinAji:

Haha me sef I wuz jst as confused as u wen readin

parrotibaba's last post but nway mr.severe I tink u r
jst being 2 critical its jst a movie d stories & d

performances r nt strong because d genre isnt one

based on stories & performances it's my best genre

because even with bad performances from d actors

and regular storylines it never gets old & still gives

u d same thrill time and time again

smiley guy see if you wan like horror film, like horror film the worst I can do is laugh at you but I won't stop you.
c'mon, how can a movie be good without the two main ingredients a good story and good actors?
The Horror genre has died along with the reign of john carpenter and his friends,I'm even surprised there's a thread for horror movies never knew it still had fans,I thought people only watched vintage horror movies to commemorate holidays like halloween and .
they have the least budget in any industry as well as the least turnovers I mean even silly cartoons like frozen rake in billions easier than horror just to show how dead that Horror is. Horror is so dead they leave solely on remakes and franchise stealing just to make a buck. Guy abeg no kill me with laugh
Re: Horror Is The Best Genre Of Movie? by sod09(m): 2:04pm On Jan 17, 2015
Dats d only real film I know........horror movies

(1) (2) (Reply)

Tinsel Is Still The Best Nigerian Soap On Tv / The Production Of Science Fiction In Nollywood / VIDEO - #bbathechase: Hakeem Kissing Cleo - The Magic Moment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.