Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,596 members, 7,809,166 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:22 AM

Second Degree - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Second Degree (5790 Views)

M.SC or Second Degree Which One Is more Preferable / Pharmacy As Second Degree Or Msc / Studying Law As A Second Degree. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Second Degree by otunba27(m): 11:11pm On Jan 02, 2008
Hello Guys!!

I will need your candid answer here,i have a cousin that has 3rd class in computer science from unilag,do you think is best for him to have a PGD course or proceed to North America for another undergraduate degree before taking up his masters,he is presently working with a bank in Lagos.Your reply is appreciated
Re: Second Degree by tboy1(m): 11:18pm On Jan 02, 2008
otunba27:

Hello Guys!!

I will need your candid answer here,i have a cousin that has 3rd class in computer science from unilag,do you think is best for him to have a PGD course or proceed to North America for another undergraduate degree before taking up his masters,he is presently working with a bank in Lagos.Your reply is appreciated

He should go to North America for another undergraduate degree
Re: Second Degree by yimiton(f): 8:34am On Jan 03, 2008
It will be better for him to go to North America for another undergraduate program.
People always look down on third class, no matter where you get to. They'll always refer to you as an example for other to take heart with.

It will be a lot more prestigeous and professionally advantageous as well as career advancing for him to take up another undergraduate program and a direct masters degree afterwards.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Second Degree by otunba27(m): 11:53am On Jan 03, 2008
Thank you Guys!!

But the guy thinks i don't have good plans for him asking him to come for another 3yrs degree,do you have any way i can make him understand?That its all about tomorrow and not today.
Thanks for your reply
Re: Second Degree by olupahpah(m): 1:08pm On Jan 03, 2008
hey otunba,

he doesnt neccesarily have to do another undergraduate degree,

1. some universities take 3rd class degrees for masters degree
2. he could go for the PGD since he has some work esperience and depending on his performance he cld then extend his PGD to a Masters

the basic difference btw a PGD and masters in most cases is trhe master dissertation.

And about tommorrow, a 3rd class degree becomes insignificant with a higher degree.

you both could weigh the options and decide!!!!!!
Re: Second Degree by tboy1(m): 6:14pm On Jan 03, 2008
otunba27:

Thank you Guys!!

But the guy thinks i don't have good plans for him asking him to come for another 3yrs degree,do you have any way i can make him understand?That its all about tomorrow and not today.
Thanks for your reply

Companies in nigerias will pay candidates coming from overseas more money(This is a fact)
I personally know at least 3 ppl who went for their second degree because they got 3rd class

olupahpah:

some universities take 3rd class degrees for masters degree

Not a good university.Do you know that some universities overseas dont even take 2:2 students.
Re: Second Degree by otunba27(m): 6:55pm On Jan 03, 2008
Thanks tboy1, I think you are the only one that feel me in this issues for you to have a prestigious universities in North America you have to come in for another degree a nigerian 3rd class is not acceptable in Canada or US,onless you want a mushroom universities just for your money.
Re: Second Degree by olupahpah(m): 8:06pm On Jan 03, 2008
tboy1

yes some uni's do not take 2:2's it all depends on the course. If u term universities like warwick and westminster as mushroom then i rest my case!!!!!!

otunba27

i am not talking about the prestigious uni's like yale and harvard and sorts, i am sure you will find standard uni's that take 2:2's and 3rds. At the end of the day you will still have to satisfy them SAT/GRE/TOEFL wise ,
Re: Second Degree by tboy1(m): 8:26pm On Jan 03, 2008
olupahpah:

tboy1
yes some uni's do not take 2:2's it all depends on the course. If u term universities like warwick and westminster as mushroom then i rest my case!!!!!!

My younger sister finished from coventry so i know a lil bit bout University of Warwick.i also finished from a university in west midlands.Can u tell me which masters course in University of Warwick will accept 3rd class.

@Poster
Like i said earlier if you know anyone in naija who works in any HR dept for a big company in naija.Ask them which is better.
Re: Second Degree by olupahpah(m): 8:33pm On Jan 03, 2008
tboy1

i went to d uni in warwick and i had a class mate wiv a 3rd from bangalore(india). We studied MSOR(management science and operational research). Hope that satisfies you!!!!!!!!
Re: Second Degree by otunba27(m): 8:33pm On Jan 03, 2008
Olupahpah!!!

Am sure you are aware of the standard of education in this part of the globe,bringing a 3rd class computer science form unilag is nothing but nonsense,but the choice of country is not Britain,but if you know any standard university in north America that will admit my cousin,please don't hesitate to uniform me,i will be very gratefull.

But my school will not admit him,you can mail me on bob893@mail.usask.ca

Your reply is welcome,i really want to help my cousin,Life is wonderful when you have world class education!!!
Re: Second Degree by olupahpah(m): 8:37pm On Jan 03, 2008
otunba27

yes i am very aware of the level nd standard of education in this part of the world,
I was just giving my two pence of advice.
Re: Second Degree by tboy1(m): 8:43pm On Jan 03, 2008
olupahpah:

tboy1
i went to d uni in warwick and i had a class mate with a 3rd from bangalore(india). We studied MSOR(management science and operational research). Hope that satisfies you!!!!!!!!

Apart from the 3rd class, i believe the guy probably showed the university more documents and he'll definately have taken the GMAT test.
I believe u know how hard it is to take a 3rd class students from uk
Re: Second Degree by otunba27(m): 8:49pm On Jan 03, 2008
Olupahpah

I very grateful for the advice,but put yourself in my shoes,unless my cousin wants the UK,he can get admission in universities,but in Canada to be precise am speechless,unless there is another way from what i know,
(Am based in Canada)
Do you feel me now,i don't know anything about United kingdom
Re: Second Degree by olupahpah(m): 8:52pm On Jan 03, 2008
tboy1
tboy1:

Apart from the 3rd class, i believe the guy probably showed the university more documents and he'll definately have taken the GMAT test.
I believe u know how hard it is to take a 3rd class students from uk

I do not know what other documents he showed,, but i know people get admitted with it,, as u said it is very difficult,that i know for sure,

There is another option of doing a one year PGD first before going to do his Masters. There are schools in Naija like LGE and the sorts.

otunba27

well i understand all you are saying, all am doing is just giving you another point of view.

If he wants to do the Masters then let him do the leg work of running around and give you a feedback.

If he cant do it then let him dust his books and start the undergraduate degree all over again.
Re: Second Degree by otunba27(m): 9:03pm On Jan 03, 2008
Olupahpah

You are rite i think i should stop spoon feeding him,but am just trying to be a good cousin atleast i have seen this part of the world and know what its takes,so i think i should be able to help.

But i hope and pray thing work out fine

Once again Thanks
Re: Second Degree by Mustay(m): 9:30pm On Jan 03, 2008
olupahpah:

hey otunba,

he doesnt neccesarily have to do another undergraduate degree,

1. some universities take 3rd class degrees for masters degree
2. he could go for the PGD since he has some work esperience and depending on his performance he cld then extend his PGD to a Masters

the basic difference between a PGD and masters in most cases is trhe master dissertation.

And about tommorrow, a 3rd class degree becomes insignificant with a higher degree.

you both could weigh the options and decide!!!!!!

well said wink

i don't think it's rather necessary doin' it over.
Re: Second Degree by dapsycool(m): 10:09pm On Jan 03, 2008
I read somewhere that the average gpa of students university of maryland,college park accepted in a particular year for Masters in Computer science was 3.75 of 4.00
moreover if you wanna go for MBA in future in a top business school, what they look at is your first degree, GRE and experience, masters is just a supplement, so first degree is very vital. it's better he starts all over he he he.
3rd class in a standard yankee university? I don't think it's possible. He should try schools like southern arkansas university, university of DC.

(1) (Reply)

CIS Professional Diploma Exam: Advice And Help On Reading Materials Needed / Nigerian Civil Defence Recruitment 2016 – NSCDC 2016 Recruitment / Before You Quit Your Low Paying Job Check This List

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.