Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,151 members, 7,953,578 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 07:33 PM

Drug To Offer 'Single-Dose' Malaria Cure Found - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Drug To Offer 'Single-Dose' Malaria Cure Found (9483 Views)

New Single-dose Malaria Treatment Could Eventually Help Millions / Is Ebola Virus Created By The Whites???? CURE FOUND / Cure Found For HIV/AIDS At Winners Medical Research And Diagnostics Centre. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Drug To Offer 'Single-Dose' Malaria Cure Found by mukina2: 1:24pm On Aug 29, 2012

JOHANNESBURG: Scientists claim to have discovered a drug that could cure all strains of malaria with a single oral dose and also block transmission of the deadly parasite from person to person.

The compound from the aminopyridine class, code named MMV390048, shows potent activity against multiple points in the malaria parasite's lifecycle.

The drug is the first compound researched on African soil to enter preclinical development in partnership with Medicines for malairia venture (MMV), a not-for-profit public-private partnership, in Switzerland.

The synthetic molecule from the aminopyridine class, which has been described as novel and potent, not only has the potential to become a single-dose cure for malaria, but researchers are convinced that it could block transmission of the malaria parasite from person to person.

The aminopyridine series was initially identified by Griffith University scientists in Australia as part of MMV's extensive malaria screening campaign of around 6 million compounds.

A team of scientists from the University of Cape Town's (UCT) Drug Discovery and Development Centre (H3-D) in South Africa, led by Professor Kelly Chibale then scrutinised and explored the anti-malarial potential of the series further.

With parasitological and pharmacological support from the Swiss Tropical and Public Health Institute and Monash University, respectively, Kelly's team selected the most promising compounds from the series to be optimized and re-tested.

In just 18 months the team had identified and developed a candidate suitable for preclinical development.

"We are very excited that this promising compound, researched by African scientists, has been selected by MMV for further development," Chibale, Founder and Director, UCT H3-D, said.

"This is truly a proud day for African science and African scientists! Our team is hopeful that the compound will emerge from rigorous testing as an extremely effective medicine for malaria - a disease that accounts for 24 per cent of total child deaths in sub-Saharan Africa," Chibale said.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/news-by-industry/healthcare/biotech/pharmaceuticals/drug-to-offer-single-dose-malaria-cure-found/articleshow/15942854.cms

1 Like

Re: Drug To Offer 'Single-Dose' Malaria Cure Found by mkmyers45(m): 1:26pm On Aug 29, 2012
This is real good news...hope the vaccines will be screened properly and they be effective...

Great Stride for Science...and also good to know its an african initiative

2 Likes

Re: Drug To Offer 'Single-Dose' Malaria Cure Found by snthesis(m): 3:06pm On Aug 29, 2012
wat are d side effects- short and long term

i prefer my agbo mixture grin grin
Re: Drug To Offer 'Single-Dose' Malaria Cure Found by Nobody: 3:07pm On Aug 29, 2012
Nigeria will never discover anything, only people ideas they always modify everybody is Oil Oil Oil, money money money, yeye

1 Like

Re: Drug To Offer 'Single-Dose' Malaria Cure Found by miteolu(m): 3:09pm On Aug 29, 2012
na so den talk for HIV all na market enchantment
Re: Drug To Offer 'Single-Dose' Malaria Cure Found by Obinoscopy(m): 3:09pm On Aug 29, 2012
mkmyers45: This is real good news...hope the vaccines will be screened properly and they be effective...

Great Stride for Science...and also good to know its an african initiative

Its not a vaccine but a tablet just like Fansidar. The only difference is that Fansidar is used mostly for preventive and is not effective against the multidrug resistant strains of the parasite while this new drug is curative is effective against the multidrug resistant strains.
Re: Drug To Offer 'Single-Dose' Malaria Cure Found by otokx(m): 3:14pm On Aug 29, 2012
A lot of good things have been discovered in my life time as for Nigeria it is to be doing church things, prayer partner and the rest.

1 Like

Re: Drug To Offer 'Single-Dose' Malaria Cure Found by mkmyers45(m): 3:19pm On Aug 29, 2012
Obinoscopy:

Its not a vaccine but a tablet just like Fansidar. The only difference is that Fansidar is used mostly for preventive and is not effective against the multidrug resistant strains of the parasite while this new drug is curative is effective against the multidrug resistant strains.

It is said to prevent transmission...
Re: Drug To Offer 'Single-Dose' Malaria Cure Found by Charlesnerd: 3:21pm On Aug 29, 2012
Why cant we have a vaccine for malaria?.Why cant we have a vaccine for HIV/AIDS?.No,because Big Pharma would go out of business.

@Topic

good news from Africa.
Re: Drug To Offer 'Single-Dose' Malaria Cure Found by sylve11: 3:31pm On Aug 29, 2012
Not bad. Those of u crying that Nigerians don't do things like this; it won't be a bad idea if u start it. Remember change begins with u. cool

4 Likes

Re: Drug To Offer 'Single-Dose' Malaria Cure Found by Obinoscopy(m): 3:34pm On Aug 29, 2012
mkmyers45:

It is said to prevent transmission...

Not only vaccine can prevent transmission. Some drugs can also prevent transmission. For example Truvada, an antiretroviral drug, can prevent transmission of HIV between discordant couples or sex partners during sexual intercourse.
Antimalarial drugs like Sulfadoxine-Pyrimethamine (eg Fansidar) also prevents one from getting malaria, that doesn't qualify Fansidar as a vaccine.
Vaccines are actually antibodies or antigenic substances that boosts one's immune system against infections.
Re: Drug To Offer 'Single-Dose' Malaria Cure Found by mkmyers45(m): 3:36pm On Aug 29, 2012
Obinoscopy:

Not only vaccine can prevent transmission. Some drugs can also prevent transmission. For example Truvada, an antiretroviral drug, can prevent transmission of HIV between discordant couples or sex partners during sexual intercourse.
Antimalarials like Sulfadoxine-Pyrimethamine (eg Fansidar) also prevents one from getting malaria.

So its just some so isn't it acceptable to perceive it as a future vaccine?
Re: Drug To Offer 'Single-Dose' Malaria Cure Found by Nobody: 3:47pm On Aug 29, 2012
It takes one to know one. Malaria is synonymous with Africa, so should the right therapy.
Re: Drug To Offer 'Single-Dose' Malaria Cure Found by Nobody: 3:50pm On Aug 29, 2012
Fortunately, mosquitoes wey bite me dey go treat for Malaria... tongue
Re: Drug To Offer 'Single-Dose' Malaria Cure Found by dapo338(m): 3:53pm On Aug 29, 2012
If the medicine is finally out for sale in pharm. It will definately turns fake when it gets to Nigerian border. "Beware of fake drugs" that will be the thing in Naija.
Re: Drug To Offer 'Single-Dose' Malaria Cure Found by OkikiOluwa1(m): 3:54pm On Aug 29, 2012
Good one. Hope it later become effective & with no side effect.
Re: Drug To Offer 'Single-Dose' Malaria Cure Found by Nobody: 3:59pm On Aug 29, 2012
A cure for H.I.V Aids has also been found...lmao! grin
Re: Drug To Offer 'Single-Dose' Malaria Cure Found by mkmyers45(m): 4:11pm On Aug 29, 2012
Brand_new: A cure for H.I.V Aids has also been found...lmao! grin

Yes there is a treatment drug for H.I.V

See here: https://www.nairaland.com/1032317/us-approves-once-a-day-pill-treat
Re: Drug To Offer 'Single-Dose' Malaria Cure Found by Clemzy16(m): 4:18pm On Aug 29, 2012
If this news is anything to go by. Then, It's a plus not just a south africa along but to the entire african continent. But the question now is... Why has Nigeria ever discovered? Your guess is as good as mine.
Re: Drug To Offer 'Single-Dose' Malaria Cure Found by gator666: 4:21pm On Aug 29, 2012
How about Fansidar? It is also single-dose drug.
Re: Drug To Offer 'Single-Dose' Malaria Cure Found by Nobody: 4:32pm On Aug 29, 2012
Am tired of hypocrisy against Africa. Why is there no vaccination against Malaria but there is vacation against H1N1.
Re: Drug To Offer 'Single-Dose' Malaria Cure Found by Nobody: 4:42pm On Aug 29, 2012
Billyonaire: Am tired of hypocrisy against Africa. Why is there no vaccination against Malaria but there is vacation against H1N1.
why is your monkey brain waiting for the white man to develop a vaccine against Malaria for you? you ought to be tired of your worthless existence!
Re: Drug To Offer 'Single-Dose' Malaria Cure Found by Nobody: 4:55pm On Aug 29, 2012
^^^
murrufvcker
Re: Drug To Offer 'Single-Dose' Malaria Cure Found by Blisslife: 5:11pm On Aug 29, 2012
This is great because malaria will kill people finish for nija
Re: Drug To Offer 'Single-Dose' Malaria Cure Found by dino2006(m): 6:00pm On Aug 29, 2012
mkmyers45:

So its just some so isn't it acceptable to perceive it as a future vaccine?

Obinoscopy has said it all. The action of preventing the spread, is more of prophylaxis, and not vaccination.
In vaccination, u innoculate the individual with a whole or fractionated organism (bacteria, virus or protozoa), that is non-pathogenic but antigenic; capable of stimulating the immune system to produce antibodies against the antigens.

@topic

Good development. Way forward for science in Africa. I wish our Nigerian professors can emulate such feat.

Cheers.
Re: Drug To Offer 'Single-Dose' Malaria Cure Found by gator666: 6:01pm On Aug 29, 2012
Blisslife: This is great because malaria will kill people finish for nija

Is it really that special? Medicines such is Fansidar are not all that expensive... and the question is, how high will the price for this one be fixed by pharmaceutical gangsters?
Re: Drug To Offer 'Single-Dose' Malaria Cure Found by ujukala: 7:09pm On Aug 29, 2012
There are effective vaccines available locally.
snthesis: wat are d side effects- short and long term

i prefer my agbo mixture grin grin
Re: Drug To Offer 'Single-Dose' Malaria Cure Found by dasparrow: 7:29pm On Aug 29, 2012
@Post

I prefer to take my Echinacea and vitamin C pills to boost my immune system and if I am to come down with malaria, I will drink Iba (some bitter concoction like that made by boiling different kinds of leaves). I am an advocate of holistic medicine whenever possible. These modern drugs only help to shorten one's life span in the long run whilst making pharmaceutical companies rich.
Re: Drug To Offer 'Single-Dose' Malaria Cure Found by avalontony(m): 8:14pm On Aug 29, 2012
i hope say e go cure naija malaria, becose naija mosquitoes carry AK 47 for mouth. kudos
Re: Drug To Offer 'Single-Dose' Malaria Cure Found by dnawah(m): 10:56pm On Aug 29, 2012
oyibomoses: Nigeria will never discover anything, only people ideas they always modify everybody is Oil Oil Oil, money money money, yeye
no talk like dat o! Na them discover ghana must go,now them don discover #5000 note.
Re: Drug To Offer 'Single-Dose' Malaria Cure Found by TalkingBird: 12:00pm On Aug 30, 2012
oyibomoses: Nigeria will never discover anything, only people ideas they always modify everybody is Oil Oil Oil, money money money, yeye

I think the issue is that there is no encouragement.
I heard of one Agbalaka Jeremiah or so

check this out https://www.nairaland.com/1032262/oyesiku-chairs-american-neurological-surgeons#11977999
Re: Drug To Offer 'Single-Dose' Malaria Cure Found by xtayle(m): 12:26pm On Aug 30, 2012
Obinoscopy:

Honestly, you have no reason to be sick. All sicknesses and diseases have been traced to lack of one diet nutrient or the other in the body. The body require daily supply of certain quantity of certain food nutrient that it may never get considering the type of food we eat.

The picture below list all what d body requires on a daily basis to function optimally and fight diseases on its own the way God created it. However, u will agree with me that it is a tough call but its equally very easy. U may wish to send me a mail for further info as it can change the life of so many people. God bless Nigeria!!!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Teen Sells Kidney For Iphone / Akeredolu Commissions New Medical Equipment To Boost HealthCare In Ondo / How To Rapidly Increase Your Pen*s Size To12 Inches Within A Month

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.