Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,897 members, 7,844,888 topics. Date: Thursday, 30 May 2024 at 09:31 AM

Interesting Article About John Mikel Obi - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Interesting Article About John Mikel Obi (20913 Views)

Throwback Photo Of John Mikel Obi / Wicked But Funny BBC Comment About John Mikel Obi / John Mikel Obi Better Than Okocha At 19? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Interesting Article About John Mikel Obi by fuadnero(m): 9:11pm On Aug 29, 2012
tlops:

Abi oh. wetin concern me with where/how he passes?
tlops:

tlops:

[bold] i tire sef [/bold]
Re: Interesting Article About John Mikel Obi by COOLDUN: 9:22pm On Aug 29, 2012
Mikel is an average player; my advice to him is to read from his critics and make some changes and not to see his critics as his enemies. Every footballer has his weapons, Mikel is a good passer of ball, but a good players is known to be playing and scoring goals, it is from mistakes we learn, a good player always take risks from that comes goals sometimes, which makes a player to be famous. Many clubs are not interested in Mikel because of his goals droughts .Ramirez is a darling of the Chelsea fans today because of his goals scoring abilities. Goal makes a good player.
Re: Interesting Article About John Mikel Obi by touchplay(m): 9:37pm On Aug 29, 2012
ebamma: mikel obi to me is over rated by chelsea fans,mikel is the only chelsea player that no club have been interested to buy in the past 3 years,i still rate Cheick Tiote higher than Mikel any day any time
e b lyk say u no sabi read,abi ?Abi u dey ignore transfer news jst cos of say na mikel headline am?...b4 d start of d season, Juve came wit 15mil € n 1 oda /dat i cant rememba / also came 4 him...
Re: Interesting Article About John Mikel Obi by Nobody: 9:44pm On Aug 29, 2012
Sisi_Kill: Gah!! I thought dude had died!!!!

I was like. . .when did that happen? shocked shocked

Guess that was the intention of the Author, eh?

lool same here
Re: Interesting Article About John Mikel Obi by Odionidons: 10:09pm On Aug 29, 2012
Mikel is a fame to nigeria football.
Re: Interesting Article About John Mikel Obi by Saintsquare(m): 10:21pm On Aug 29, 2012
Machini:

seriously? Earns more than most of dem? They born dem well make any of dem dey earn more dan mikel. The last time I checked Mikel earns £80,000 WEEKLY!!!
Leave them jo,d guy is making millions every week while most of his haters are worried about the price of garri.
Re: Interesting Article About John Mikel Obi by Nobody: 10:39pm On Aug 29, 2012
i wonder why peeps keep yapping about mikel.
jose turned gallas from central defender to a full back and he did well,
ivanovic changed from central defense to a full back and he is performing very well.

does it not occur to anyone that only good enough players get converted to other positions,
or do you think that chelsea lacks Defensive midfielders? thats why they keep relying on mikel.

against barcelona mikel was the chelsea player with the highest percentage of possession of the ball
when it comes to attacking everyone knows that mikel cannot compete with the likes of Lampard Ramires, and all the other chelsea midfielders.
like wise no one of them can play the holding role like mikel does. thats why essien is sitting on the bench.
chelsea needs someone who is disciplined enough to stay put, while others attack. it suits their play.
if all the coaches that have come and gone, including Mr AVB stuck to him to do the Job, i really think he must be doing something right
thats why they are putting him there.
as good as christiano ronaldo and lionel messi are, people still find a reason to complain about their style of play.
Mikel is one of the most valued chelsea player, he has grown, and coaches even consider resting him for important matches.
Mikel is the connecting Rod between the attack and the defence of chelsea.

let the guy be joor... haters should go climb maggi... tongue tongue

1 Like

Re: Interesting Article About John Mikel Obi by oluplus(m): 11:10pm On Aug 29, 2012
Mikel is playing avery gud football and I wonder why he is not listed in Keshi's squad. It seems Keshi too is anti-Mikel just as some people here.
Re: Interesting Article About John Mikel Obi by thegoodjoehunt(m): 11:43pm On Aug 29, 2012
Super1759: so is that why he won't score goal? I think he is the only chelsea player that have no interest in scoring goal, am sure cech don score pass am

Many say Mikel was an amazing player in the WYC 2005 in Netherlands but he never scored a goal in open play and was the second best player behind Messi. Note Aguero, Silva, Llorente, Rafinha (Bayern Munich) were in that competition. So goals have never been part of Mikel's game.
Re: Interesting Article About John Mikel Obi by thegoodjoehunt(m): 11:45pm On Aug 29, 2012
ajf: For a second there I thought he's dead... John obi mikel can be brilliant sometimes(as we've seen in some important games) he just needs to step his game up a bit. I think so many fans pick on him because he doesn't show enough energy on the pitch,hence they call him lazy. Imagine an old Kanu Nwankwo without his dribbbling skills playing as a DM! Yeah! That's how he plays...

Brilliant, I also noticed that. It is not his fault that he is placed in a defensive midfield position. That is not his game. He is still trying to make the best of it. That shows he is really a bright talent.
Re: Interesting Article About John Mikel Obi by Nobody: 12:28am On Aug 30, 2012
ebamma: mikel obi to me is over rated by chelsea fans,mikel is the only chelsea player that no club have been interested to buy in the past 3 years,i still rate Cheick Tiote higher than Mikel any day any time
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Why are u talking out of point Mr? If a player is good and keeps giving his team what they require of him,why would dey want to sell him to another club? You said "The only Player no club is interested to buy"? Can u pls tell me how many club have bidded for Lionel Messi or C.Ronaldo (the best player & 2nd best in d world for 3years running) is it because they are not good or what? No, but d club is not even to entertain any bid from any club for them! Stop arguing/commenting out of point pls.......................... @OP,Nice Stats Pls (OPTA Statistics r d most accurate in d world of football, even BBC,VOA,CNN,GOAL.COM quote dem 4 references all d time) Mikel is doing what he's asked to do @ Chelsea, his Predecessor, Claude Makalele played for Chelsea for over 4years & scored just 1 goal (a Penalty d "Special 1" ran out from his seat & specifically asked him 2 take, while Lampard was on d pitch! Tho' Chelsea were leadin 4-1 @ d time, he missed, but scored d rebound!) but he was d best DM (Defensive Midfielder Chelsea ever add) no one blame or tackled him for not scoring goals cos he's doin what he is asked to do, EXACTLY what Mikel is doing Presently.

1 Like

Re: Interesting Article About John Mikel Obi by Jarvis(m): 1:06am On Aug 30, 2012
kayoshi: Dispelling Myths: John Obi Mikel always passes it sideways

Chelsea won their opener today with a fairly comfortable 2-0 scoreline. Regardless of that fact, many members of the WAGNH community seemed to feel it necessary to get up in arms over the performance. In a trend that's becoming far to common for my liking, many of you immediately singled out John Obi Mikel as the weak link. With that in mind, I'm going to take a look at one of the most common complaints about his game.

Stop me if you've heard this before...John Obi Mikel always passes the ball sideways. Everybody says it, so it must be true. Well, MCFC Analytics has given us access to all of the Opta stats for the 2011/12 Premier League season, so now we can see if this is statistically correct. If you haven't yet read about the project, you can do so here.

For this exercise, I've decided to compare Mikel to some comparable players at the largest clubs in England (and Liverpool). Gareth Barry, Nigel de Jong, Michael Carrick, Alex Song, Oriol Romeu, Scott Parker, Sandro, Cheik Tiote, and Lucas Leiva all seemed to be excellent guys to compare Mikel with, so I decided to crunch some numbers on that group. Opta gives us totals of passing forward, backward, to the left, and to the right for every Premier League player in every Premier League game last season, so i broke out the calculator and went to work. After the jump, you can see what these guys did in this regard.

First, why don't we take a look at the midfielders mentioned above and their tendencies to pass sideways. To make this easier on the eye, I've just totaled the percentages of passes to both the left and right. I've then layed it out in a pretty little graph below:

Surprised? I think most of you should be. John Obi Mikel doesn't actually pass the ball sideways more than most of the other defensive mids at top clubs in England. He sits a little below the average in this regard, passing the ball to either side 57% of the time.

I'm sure many of you are now jumping to conclusions, making the assumption that these number just look this way because Mikel actually passes the ball backwards more than the rest of this sample. Well since we're digging through numbers anyway, why not take a look at that as well?

Shocking, isn't it? John Obi Mikel doesn't appear to pass the ball backwards as much as his counterparts do in general. As a matter of fact, he only does so for only 9% of his passes. I guess we'd better go ahead and look at how often he passes the ball in a forward direction...

Well there we have it, there were only 2 defensive midfielders at top clubs that actually passed the ball forward at a higher rate than Mikel. One of them is widely considered as the best defensive mid in England, and the other just got purchased by "the best club in the world". This doesn't fit the narrative that many of you have come to adopt, so you should really take some time to let all of this sink in. When somebody complains that Mikel always passes the ball sideways, they are just statistically incorrect. The reality of the situation is that Mikel actually passes the ball forward more than he does in any other direction, with just over 1/3 of his passes sent towards the attack. He also tends to pass the ball forward at a higher rate than most other defensive midfielders in England.

Does this comparison mean that Mikel doesn't have room to improve? Certainly not. What it should tell you wothout a doubt, though, is that John Obi Mikel does not pass the ball sideways more than his counterparts. He actually sprays the ball forward more often than most, and I'm assuming that's a surprise to most of you. There are fair criticisms to be made about John Obi Mikel, but complaining about his tendency to pass the ball backwards or to the side should not be one of them. It's incorrect, and it's not fair to the player. When someone tells you that John Obi Mikel always passes the ball sideways, show them this and let them know that they are wrong.

Source: http://www.ftbpro.com/posts/graham.macaree/43133/dispelling-myths-john-obi-mikel-always-passes-it-sideways

I'm not a BIG fan of Mikel, but the guy is trying.
dis so called article is rubbish..can he play like dis wen he plays for 9ja?
Re: Interesting Article About John Mikel Obi by kunlekunle: 1:31am On Aug 30, 2012
AVB whislt with chelsea did not understand his role and john terry, thats why most of the time they lost their matches cos JT overlap alot while mikel holds up for him.
Same role makelee played while with chelsea, thats their style and it works.
Re: Interesting Article About John Mikel Obi by scorpio1(m): 1:46am On Aug 30, 2012
Mikel was seriously warned by Queen Eliza not to score a goal...dat any day she hears dat Mikel scored, he will be deported back to Jos instanta...#u can guess d rest#.
Re: Interesting Article About John Mikel Obi by Kenistry(m): 1:53am On Aug 30, 2012
I tot u wld hv put d statistical data dat u use in comparin all d DM u mention in ur post........mikel to me remains an average player, least in confidence in all d CM
Re: Interesting Article About John Mikel Obi by Kenistry(m): 2:01am On Aug 30, 2012
modelmike7: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Why are u talking out of point Mr? If a player is good and keeps giving his team what they require of him,why would dey want to sell him to another club? You said "The only Player no club is interested to buy"? Can u pls tell me how many club have bidded for Lionel Messi or C.Ronaldo (the best player & 2nd best in d world for 3years running) is it because they are not good or what? No, but d club is not even to entertain any bid from any club for them! Stop arguing/commenting out of point pls.......................... @OP,Nice Stats Pls (OPTA Statistics r d most accurate in d world of football, even BBC,VOA,CNN,GOAL.COM quote dem 4 references all d time) Mikel is doing what he's asked to do @ Chelsea, his Predecessor, Claude Makalele played for Chelsea for over 4years & scored just 1 goal (a Penalty d "Special 1" ran out from his seat & specifically asked him 2 take, while Lampard was on d pitch! Tho' Chelsea were leadin 4-1 @ d time, he missed, but scored d rebound!) but he was d best DM (Defensive Midfielder Chelsea ever add) no one blame or tackled him for not scoring goals cos he's doin what he is asked to do, EXACTLY what Mikel is doing Presently.
[color=#990000][/color]
makalele actually scored two goals for chelsea.....a decisive 25yards strike against Tottenham wish Chelsea won 1-0, 2005/2006 seasn and d penalty offcoss
Re: Interesting Article About John Mikel Obi by kcpragmatik(m): 5:30am On Aug 30, 2012
Gonzaga1010: I don't know why naija did not like dat guy. But d guy is gud
We did not likin him because he didnt wantin to improve.......shelled!!!
Re: Interesting Article About John Mikel Obi by wengerjay(m): 6:06am On Aug 30, 2012
Monkey no fine bt hin mama like am,teni teni.Up Mikel,up Nigeria!
Re: Interesting Article About John Mikel Obi by maxnj(m): 6:35am On Aug 30, 2012
smileyMikel is an interesting player, lets come 4 once 2 appreciate that. What ever his excesses might be, you've got one too.

1 Like

Re: Interesting Article About John Mikel Obi by OkikiOluwa1(m): 8:22am On Aug 30, 2012
Sisi_Kill:
Some times sentiment overides common sense (That's if even there was ever common sense in the first place) undecided
your talk is cheap...
Just answer my question
Re: Interesting Article About John Mikel Obi by Shaw007(m): 8:47am On Aug 30, 2012
Sisi_Kill: Gah!! I thought dude had died!!!!

I was like. . .when did that happen? shocked shocked

Guess that was the intention of the Author, eh?
abeg who be mikel obi? undecided
i hear sey hin dey play ball,shey na true??

Na Victor moses consign me as i dey nOw!!
Re: Interesting Article About John Mikel Obi by vulpeslopez(m): 8:47am On Aug 30, 2012
[quote author=kunle.t.ade]As far as am concern mikel is the second best mid fielder in africa after Yaya Toure... Viva madrid [/quote I have got lot of respect 4 Mikel Obi but he is not better than Song,Tiote....tiote and Song are midfielders that can break into the midfield of the Biggest teams in the world but Mikel don't think he can make a Stoke team..

1 Like

Re: Interesting Article About John Mikel Obi by Shaw007(m): 8:57am On Aug 30, 2012
murtalaa: Someone should please ban the word "garri" on this forum just like the f word and co. I feel like smashing my screen whenever i see that quote.
Garritongue oya smash am natonguetonguetongue
Re: Interesting Article About John Mikel Obi by megxo(m): 9:31am On Aug 30, 2012
comechop: Quite amazing how daft we nigerians can be at times.

Go read up on some chelsea forums and check out the guy's worth to the chelsea team. He performs his duties excellently as a holding midfielder. Thats his job. Yes he occasionally goes forward and one can see that he has quite the excellent passing IQ going forward, but he choses to remain back because that is he duty. Who is going to give the defenders support when frankie lampard is ALWAYS running to the box everytime chelsea has the ball?

Haters will hate sha o - thats what we do best in Nigeria. He's accomplished more and earns more than most of you that are bashing him.
WORD!!!!!!!!! D GUY DE FULL, HIM POCKET, UNA DE HIA DE DRINK HIM PANADOL
Re: Interesting Article About John Mikel Obi by megxo(m): 9:32am On Aug 30, 2012
Kenistry: I tot u wld hv put d statistical data dat u use in comparin all d DM u mention in ur post........mikel to me remains an average player, least in confidence in all d CM
HE'S NOT A CM, HE'S A DM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! angry
Re: Interesting Article About John Mikel Obi by realsammie(m): 10:07am On Aug 30, 2012
we no go hear word with dis chelsea fans. you guyz av come with poo story. very soon you guyz will start comparing HAZARD & MESSI. just because una win CL..METCHEEEEEEWWWW
Re: Interesting Article About John Mikel Obi by Nobody: 10:30am On Aug 30, 2012
....................... @OP,Nice Stats Pls (OPTA Statistics r d most accurate in d world of football, even BBC,VOA,CNN,GOAL.COM quote dem 4 references all d time) [/quote]. . . . . . . This is Another Statistics I Found Out on OPTA STATS last week, Its quite Interesting & amusing @ d same time, here is it => All d Players that left Arsenal in the past 7years have won 44 TROPHIES (YES 44) between them, and all the players they left behind have wont NOTHING. . . It should av been 45 TROPHIES last night (Barca vs Madrid), but d radio refuse to play d SONG! Get my Drift ?!?!?!. . . . . . . . . . . . . @OP UP CHELSEA, UP MIKEL, UP NIGERIA. MIKEL has won 8TROPHIES in CHELSEA, unarguably d most Successful Nigerian Player in (ENGLISH FOOTBALL) capital letters for emphasis pls, i'm not talkin of d Most Successful Nigeria Player, dont start Crucifying, All respect to King Papilo! So haters keep hating while Mikel Keeps amassing Trophies and making money!!!
Re: Interesting Article About John Mikel Obi by Nobody: 10:53am On Aug 30, 2012
Shaw007: abeg who be mikel obi? undecided
i hear sey hin dey play ball,shey na true??

Na Victor moses consign me as i dey nOw!!
. . . . . . . . . . Then ask Victor Moses Who Mikel is, (so u go know if Mikel dey play ball or him na Coach or Team Doctor!) Moses will give u d whole details u need to know about him. Cos he is one of d People he (Moses) is lookin up to right now, and Our Dear Moses will be praying to achieve half of what Mikel has achieved. UP MY TWO BLUE BROTHERS!!!
Re: Interesting Article About John Mikel Obi by chidex15(m): 11:51am On Aug 30, 2012
So, whats the moral lesson..... At inside all dis passes, how many be assist... Mitcheeewww, since his seven years in premier league, he is yet to score a goal
Re: Interesting Article About John Mikel Obi by Nobody: 12:59pm On Aug 30, 2012
Re: Interesting Article About John Mikel Obi by Baawaa(m): 1:02pm On Aug 30, 2012
modelmike7: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Why are u talking out of point Mr? If a player is good and keeps giving his team what they require of him,why would dey want to sell him to another club? You said "The only Player no club is interested to buy"? Can u pls tell me how many club have bidded for Lionel Messi or C.Ronaldo (the best player & 2nd best in d world for 3years running) is it because they are not good or what? No, but d club is not even to entertain any bid from any club for them! Stop arguing/commenting out of point pls.......................... @OP,Nice Stats Pls (OPTA Statistics r d most accurate in d world of football, even BBC,VOA,CNN,GOAL.COM quote dem 4 references all d time) Mikel is doing what he's asked to do @ Chelsea, his Predecessor, Claude Makalele played for Chelsea for over 4years & scored just 1 goal (a Penalty d "Special 1" ran out from his seat & specifically asked him 2 take, while Lampard was on d pitch! Tho' Chelsea were leadin 4-1 @ d time, he missed, but scored d rebound!) but he was d best DM (Defensive Midfielder Chelsea ever add) no one blame or tackled him for not scoring goals cos he's doin what he is asked to do, EXACTLY what Mikel is doing Presently.
You are a real football lover and analysis.
Re: Interesting Article About John Mikel Obi by SisiKill1: 2:59pm On Aug 30, 2012
Okiki_Oluwa:
your talk is cheap...

It is indeed. . .and you give credence to that fact. undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Moses Begged Mikel Before Taking The Penalty Against Ethiopia / DR Congo Vs Ivory Coast: AFCON 2015 (1 - 3) On 4th February 2015 / Ronaldinho Appointed As Brazil's Ambassador For Tourism

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.