Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,823 members, 7,956,107 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 02:16 AM

Why Do You Buy Stocks? - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Why Do You Buy Stocks? (4868 Views)

Dear Nairalanders, What Can You Buy With One Naira? / 100k To Buy Stocks: What Would U Buy / Help Please Tell Me How And Where To Buy Stocks In Private Placement (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do You Buy Stocks? by palemoon(f): 2:26am On Jan 12, 2008
i buy stocks becos i want to make money. I know it works somehow
Re: Why Do You Buy Stocks? by hbrednic: 3:24am On Jan 12, 2008
because i like the colour of the certificates cool
Re: Why Do You Buy Stocks? by DisGuy: 3:31am On Jan 12, 2008
it's better than saving money in a savings account, if you know what you are doing

I have never seen a certificate grin
Re: Why Do You Buy Stocks? by oore(m): 11:51am On Jan 13, 2008
GMG:

@oore

Thanks for the advice. Please what does cscs account me? Please pardon my ignorance on the subject. Another question is, if I have shares with more than one stockbrokers, do I need to have two cscs account and finally, how long does it take to convert certificate into electronic one.

Thanks in advance for the reply

@ GMG,
CSCS account - CSCS is the central body that keeps share certificates of all companies quoted on Nigerian stock exchange. It transforms your paper certificate into paperless form. When this is done you have an account with them showing you the details of your lodgement. The CSCS account can be liken to taking your money to the bank to keep while they issue you monthly statement or viewing it on-line. for further details on definition of CSCS and anything about CSCS you can visit www.cscsnigerialtd.com. Note that an account can be created for you only if you go through a registered stockbroker of NSE.
For multiple accounts, you also get more info. on the cscs website. There is CHN and investor's account number, I will advise that if you intend to use more than one stockbroker, try to keep only one CHN (clearing house number) while the investor's account number will be issued for each stockbroker.
Pls take time to get more info. on the CSCS website. It will do you good.

Conversion of your certificate to electronic one varies from one company registrars to another and how efficient your stockbroker can follow up with the registrar of the company you own shares. Your personal responsibilities on this conversion is to ensure your address and signature are consistent with those in buying the shares with during the public offer. It could take two weeks or months
Re: Why Do You Buy Stocks? by oore(m): 12:02pm On Jan 13, 2008
yimiton:

I buy them because every other person buys them!
Just as you said, I lock up the certificates and those that are not delivered, i don't care about.
I hope I'll wake up to them some day though.
@ yimiton,
Please WAKE UP NOW. It will do you good if you at least recover all your certificates and lodged them in CSCS even if you are not trading in them. I am sure you will be happy to see how far your investment is generating money for you. You will also have peace of mind that fire or robbery will not affect your investment.
If you do not monitor your holdings (even by keeping ear on the ground about the companies you have shares) and you are not yet awake, by the time you wake up, the paper certificates you have been keeping will just be paper worth not even 50 kobo if the companies you have holdings liquidate.

Please no intended offence if the tone is high for you.
Re: Why Do You Buy Stocks? by 9jafella(m): 11:55am On Jan 15, 2008
Pls can anybody brief me how trading of stocks is being done on the floor of STOCK EXCHANGE and how one can make a "quick" cool cash from it within a specified period of time .
Re: Why Do You Buy Stocks? by walcolm(m): 12:05pm On Jan 15, 2008
9ja_fella:

Please can anybody brief me how trading of stocks is being done on the floor of STOCK EXCHANGE and how one can make a "quick" cool cash from it within a specified period of time .

Stock trading on the floor of the exchange is only done by accredited stockbrokers. you as an individual have to engage the services of these brokers at a fee called commission. they(stockbrokers) charge you a fee when you ask them to buy for you and when you ask them to sell.

to use the services of a stockbroker, you need to register with one (there are so many of them) but only a few are worth your while. if you can get a copy of any public offer prospectus, you will see on one of the last pages, a list of stockbrokers in nigeria.

the cool cash you make is the difference between the price at which you buy and sell after the broker has removed his commission both ways
Re: Why Do You Buy Stocks? by ebizads: 3:36pm On Jan 15, 2008
Hello I am new to this group and I ve something that will be of interest to all member of this forum.

Visit www.e-bizads.com for more information
Re: Why Do You Buy Stocks? by ayobase(m): 7:18pm On Jan 15, 2008
u guys are all
making sense!!!!
Re: Why Do You Buy Stocks? by 9jafella(m): 10:40am On Jan 16, 2008
@ walcom.
thanx for the piece of advice. That goes a long way,
Re: Why Do You Buy Stocks? by babybunmi(f): 1:32pm On Jan 17, 2008
Well to me i buy shares because a friend of mine made to ( he introduced me into buying shares years back) and since then i realize its a good investment and v never had cause to regret it. Would advice you to start buying but b4 then make sure you v a good stock broker to advice you on which share is really worth buying, you just dont buy any share in the market.
Re: Why Do You Buy Stocks? by patFIB: 2:00pm On Jan 29, 2008
Dear Friends,
Joining for the first time. The topic is quite interesting, shares are meant to serve as investment. can anyone link me up with a stock broker.
Re: Why Do You Buy Stocks? by bjluv: 4:33pm On Jan 30, 2008
Re: Why Do You Buy Stocks? by tjax(m): 12:50pm On Feb 01, 2008
Is there anybody that can educate me more on shares and stock.I will also want that person to expalin what right ISSUE is?, Thanks
Re: Why Do You Buy Stocks? by msanda(m): 5:18pm On Feb 03, 2008
Re: Why Do You Buy Stocks? by abujabooks(f): 6:13pm On May 02, 2008
Excellent returns.
Re: Why Do You Buy Stocks? by HRHQueenPhil(f): 7:04am On Aug 22
WHO WANTS TO BUY ACCESS BANK SHARES
COST TEN MILLION NAIRA. CALL ME ON 08169827645. TOMOROW IS D LAST DAY

(1) (2) (Reply)

Crude Oil Price Hits Two-week High At $74 As US Inventories Drop / The Kind If Business I Can Do To Gain 20k Monthly And The Required Capital. / Soft Drink Dealership: What To Look Out For?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.