Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,675 members, 7,816,774 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:50 PM

What Did Apple Really Invent? - Phones (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / What Did Apple Really Invent? (13068 Views)

Chinese Invent Clone Of Iphone 7 - 4gb RAM, 258gb Internal Memory, Android M. / Skype Co-founders Invent An Autonomous Robot That Delivers Package To Buyers / What Did He Say About 2GO Users (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Did Apple Really Invent? by Abrantie: 6:29pm On Sep 03, 2012
The first Iphone in the beginning didn't even have "apps" (short for 'application') . Apple refused to provide an SDK (Software Development Kit) for programmers to use for writing native apps for the device.

It was a sleek and shinny device alright, but coming from a Windows Mobile background, where I had access to thousands of third-party apps off the internet, I was unimpressed by the Iphone's one track mind and closeness. Eventually, Apple did cave in and released the SDK which lead to their "App Store" a year later.

To the uninformed, Apple "invented" the concept of the app store or central repository of software where devices or computers can quickly download and install apps. However, if you are a techie, you would know that, Linux was using the concept of an "app store" long before the Iphone was conceived.

So how about this "slide to unlock" (STUL) that Apple is now crying foul over in Galaxy S3? Apparently, STUL doesn't belong to Apple. It was invented by a company called Neonode, who was finally granted a patent early this year.

STUL Reference: http://www.dailytech.com/Analysis+Neonode+Patented+SwipetoUnlock+3+Years+Before+Apple/article24046.htm

How about the one where phone numbers become clickable links in e-mails or SMS? Yes, Apple claims that's theirs too. Well, I remember clicking phone numbers on my Windows Mobile and Nokia phone messages back in 2003 -- four good years before the Iphone.

I have never been an Apple fan because I always feel my intelligence being insulted whenever I touch their products. Nothing, absolutely NOTHING they have is from their hard work. Apple buys companies and use their technology in their iCrap.

Iphone 5 is coming out in two weeks, and I guarantee you there will be nothing in there you haven't seen before, in a prior phone from a different company.... but I'm sure it will be SHINNY!
Re: What Did Apple Really Invent? by Omogbhollahorn(m): 6:32pm On Sep 03, 2012
Thanks for informing me i never knew apple where reforblishers like aba boys grin grin grin grin
Re: What Did Apple Really Invent? by Omogbhollahorn(m): 7:03pm On Sep 03, 2012
If Blacks had colonized Whites

3 Likes

Re: What Did Apple Really Invent? by otumfour(m): 7:28pm On Sep 03, 2012
Abrantie: If not for Apple's shameless lawsuits, most people would have never known Apple was the greatest copycat of all time.

Did you know LG had a tablet called "Digital iPad" back in 2001?

Sure, it's not exactly the slick tablets of today but it was a tablet and even named "IPAD"

for 1's on nairaland..... grin grin 2 Ghanaians disagree.....APPLE!!!
Re: What Did Apple Really Invent? by UyiIredia(m): 7:52pm On Sep 03, 2012
Interesting info.
Re: What Did Apple Really Invent? by Fiveseventy: 8:14pm On Sep 03, 2012
And it's no coincidence that Apple products mimic LG ipad with;
(i) A rectangular edged display
(ii) Navigational features like touchscreen gestures
(iii) Flat screen
(iv) 'IPAD' product name
(v) White outer body

Someone mentioned the Nokia-Apple Settlement but that was different! It was mostly based on hardware plagiarism (not just design). Besides Nokia tried to convincing Apple to pay loyalties for copyright. Whereas Apple came aggressively on Samsung.
Not to say that Samsung is guilt free, but Apple have always copied others. Recent acquisition of patents is the reason why they get away smiling.
Abrantie: If not for Apple's shameless lawsuits, most people would have never known Apple was the greatest copycat of all time.
http://edge.alluremedia.com.au/m/g/2012/09/lgipad.jpg
Sure, it's not exactly the slick tablets of today but it was a tablet and even named "IPAD"
Re: What Did Apple Really Invent? by scorpio1(m): 8:14pm On Sep 03, 2012
Apple sucks...i'd rather fo drink beer than buy an apple product...as for me and my household...Android bu egwu eji!
#proudgalaxys3owner.
Re: What Did Apple Really Invent? by HumanPsycho(m): 8:27pm On Sep 03, 2012
weather i-apple, j-agbalumo, or p-orange ... All i know is i will use a device not because of its popularity but because it suits my purpose and iDevice does just that even though they have their flaws too, but samsung is certainly not part of me right from childhood!
-tired of same menu kind of display showing different colours
- tired of not being able to apply themes. Although they might have change.
- growing up to like football to see samsung sponsor the club i hate the most (chelsea)... Samsings doomed!
Re: What Did Apple Really Invent? by sizzlers(m): 9:01pm On Sep 03, 2012
elliottibanga: How doe this affect the price of.................iphone in the market? grin grin grin
u de fear? Dont worry i will complete that coment for u
Re: What Did Apple Really Invent? by Pimples(m): 9:36pm On Sep 03, 2012
For all u apple haterz ...just a week with an apple device is all u need to get addicted 2 the apple

1 Like

Re: What Did Apple Really Invent? by otodeluxe(m): 9:54pm On Sep 03, 2012
Apple is stainless bullshit. Android and BB is better

Sent from my MTN Blackberry wireless device
Re: What Did Apple Really Invent? by Abrantie: 10:07pm On Sep 03, 2012
otumfour:

for 1's on nairaland..... grin grin 2 Ghanaians disagree.....APPLE!!!

Chaley, you suck! cheesy
Re: What Did Apple Really Invent? by matrixme(m): 10:11pm On Sep 03, 2012
May Steve Jobs haunt you guys in your sleep! The visionary enterpreneur that had to literarily die in his quest to make the world romance QUALITY tech products! If Apple truely did not invent anything, well they did, a great brand. Many people sure knows this!
Re: What Did Apple Really Invent? by Abrantie: 10:24pm On Sep 03, 2012
matrixme: May Steve Jobs haunt you guys in your sleep! The visionary enterpreneur that had to literarily die in his quest to make the world romance QUALITY tech products! If Apple truely did not invent anything, well they did, a great brand. Many people sure knows this!

My friend, you are drunk on Apple's hyped up ogogoro. Do you know the first Iphone didn't even have cut-and-paste? What is it you ask? Well, lets say you wanted to cut some text from an e-mail and send it to your mama via SMS. You couldn't do that in the first Iphone. Meanwhile, your Windows Mobile phone, or LG or Nokia was doing that a few years prior. That was how bad Iphone was.

On top of that, no memory card. No themes. Can't replace battery or use back up battery. Can't change the friggin background to a pic of your baby daughter or son which even cheap chinko phones were doing at that time. Want a custom ringtone?...well good luck!! Apple was, and is still a Nazi phone company raking in billions of USD due to people's ignorance.
Re: What Did Apple Really Invent? by Nobody: 10:26pm On Sep 03, 2012
Apple is not the ideal phone for an Average Nigerian or those that want more out of their device. the worst part is the price, i can never pay that amount for a closed source, copied pattern, stainless bullshit, i rather use outdated symbian. Am looking forward to the iphone5 and the disappionted faces of ifans cos i know there wont be what we havent seen b4.

1 Like

Re: What Did Apple Really Invent? by MAYOWAAK: 10:29pm On Sep 03, 2012
The three apples that changed the world.

Re: What Did Apple Really Invent? by Abrantie: 10:30pm On Sep 03, 2012
Re: What Did Apple Really Invent? by texazzpete(m): 10:35pm On Sep 03, 2012
Fiveseventy: And it's no coincidence that Apple products mimic LG ipad with;
(i) A rectangular edged display
(ii) Navigational features like touchscreen gestures
(iii) Flat screen
(iv) 'IPAD' product name
(v) White outer body

Someone mentioned the Nokia-Apple Settlement but that was different! It was mostly based on hardware plagiarism (not just design). Besides Nokia tried to convincing Apple to pay loyalties for copyright. Whereas Apple came aggressively on Samsung.
Not to say that Samsung is guilt free, but Apple have always copied others. Recent acquisition of patents is the reason why they get away smiling.

The first iPad didn't come in white. Rectangular displays isn't patented by anyone. Flat screens have been on monitors for decads. The iPad gets its name from the Apple 'i' prefix and 'pad'.

None of you can provide compelling proof Apple copied anyone...there's a big difference between being inspired by something and cloning that thing completely as Samsung did with the Galaxy S (ripped off design features from the iPhone 3GS)
Re: What Did Apple Really Invent? by walemoses2(m): 10:41pm On Sep 03, 2012
If you ask somebody to mention any colour apart from blue,the first colour that will come to his mouth will be blue, court session holding in Apple backyard with all the nine person jury using Iphone and the Judge had something to do with apple in the time past one way or the other,i was even told the judge did not accept the strong exhibit Samsung presented,it can never be a fair judgement on Samsung.And mark my word,it is only in United State Samsung will loose at that margin.
Re: What Did Apple Really Invent? by Abrantie: 10:41pm On Sep 03, 2012
Re: What Did Apple Really Invent? by Fiveseventy: 11:18pm On Sep 03, 2012
Rectangular screens with rounded corners was one of many cases that Apple brought forward!

And my point isn't that Apple copied, rather I am saying that the LG product will have a reasonalble case if they did decide to sue (based on the design alone sef). Irregardless of when Apple decided to introduce white.

You feel its okay for Apple to be inspired? But is it wrong to assume that samsung's resemblance was inspired? Please! It's irritating enough to be brain washed with how Apple introduces their 'revolutionary' devices. As if they never existed before they diversified into that market or became the first to introduce this feature and that.

texazzpete:

The first iPad didn't come in white. Rectangular displays isn't patented by anyone. Flat screens have been on monitors for decads. The iPad gets its name from the Apple 'i' prefix and 'pad'.

None of you can provide compelling proof Apple copied anyone...there's a big difference between being inspired by something and cloning that thing completely as Samsung did with the Galaxy S (ripped off design features from the iPhone 3GS)
Re: What Did Apple Really Invent? by Pimples(m): 11:43pm On Sep 03, 2012
If you ever steal, don't get caught...samsung got caught.
If you are ever caught settle it immediately...or at least acknowledge it...samsung still thinks it is right ...that's the difference between the 2
Re: What Did Apple Really Invent? by femary7(m): 12:10am On Sep 04, 2012
free2ryhme:

stop screaming on this forum. if you dont have anything meaningful to say keep quiet
Una no go kill person with laugh hahaha
Re: What Did Apple Really Invent? by austinsmat(m): 4:32am On Sep 04, 2012
apple wicked the price is too much abeg
Re: What Did Apple Really Invent? by na2day(m): 4:55am On Sep 04, 2012
When Apple steals ideas it's art, when someone steals ideas from Apple it's theft grin

1 Like

Re: What Did Apple Really Invent? by texazzpete(m): 6:51am On Sep 04, 2012
Fiveseventy: Rectangular screens with rounded corners was one of many cases that Apple brought forward!

And my point isn't that Apple copied, rather I am saying that the LG product will have a reasonalble case if they did decide to sue (based on the design alone sef). Irregardless of when Apple decided to introduce white.

You feel its okay for Apple to be inspired? But is it wrong to assume that samsung's resemblance was inspired? Please! It's irritating enough to be brain washed with how Apple introduces their 'revolutionary' devices. As if they never existed before they diversified into that market or became the first to introduce this feature and that.

Show me where Apple brought a case complaining about 'Rectangular screens with rounded corners'. I dare you.

You have been brainwashed by reading blog posts of angry fanboys who have let their ire get in the way of logic.

Funny how you complain of hyperbole from Apple...yet you see no reason to whine about Samsungs 'designed for humans' and 'inspired by nature' tag lines. At least many of Apple's innovations HAVE been revolutionary.

Samsung's touchwiz interface on the SGS and the general phone hardware was not 'inspired' by the 3GS...it was a shameless attempt to ape the phone visually.
Re: What Did Apple Really Invent? by texazzpete(m): 6:57am On Sep 04, 2012
Abrantie:

... and the names "iPhone" and "iOS" were stolen from Cisco Systems: http://www.cultofmac.com/143006/how-steve-jobs-steamrolled-cisco-on-the-name-iphone/

http://newsroom.cisco.com/dlls/2007/corp_011007.html

http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/09/iphone-vs-iphone-cisco-and-apple-play-nice/

I think you need to get a dictionary and check the meaning of the word 'stolen'.

Apple had the iPod, iMac line of products. What did you think their phone was going to be called? Hobscotch McNuggets?

Cisco already had a trademark for the iPhone name. Apple negotiated to get the rights to use that name. I mean, the article you quoted specifically mentioned that Apple NEGOTIATED an agreement with Cisco. WTF do you now come with this 'stolen' story?

If you hate Apple that much that you're willing to make up stories, perhaps you can also say that Apple stole their name and their logo from a naturally occurring fruit.

I know you despise Apple but PLEASE be reasonable. It's disconcerting to have to abandon legitimate arguments to refute your FUD and misinformation.
Re: What Did Apple Really Invent? by texazzpete(m): 7:10am On Sep 04, 2012

Did you know Apple had their Newton tablet in 1987?

Did you know that intel announced a tablet shown in 1998 called the WebPAD?

Did you know that in 1994 the European Commission funded the development of a multimedia device called a 'NewsPAD'?

See what I keep saying about ignorant fanboys spouting misinformation? You didn't know about the Newton because your sources failed to mention that. You didn't realize that 'Pad' was used in the naming convention for several tablets, likely because it's derived from the notepad?

Open your mouth and babble about LG. See a prototype Tablet PC from Microsoft in 2000 below

Nobody has ever accused Apple of 'stealing' the Tablet concept from Microsoft. Apple revolutionalized a failed market with their iPad...and that's something no sane person can deny.
Re: What Did Apple Really Invent? by abes(m): 7:16am On Sep 04, 2012
Apple plans to start legal battle with mini vans and cars.

Re: What Did Apple Really Invent? by Bawss1(m): 7:25am On Sep 04, 2012
^
After mini vans they'd sue my front door for having a slide to unlock bolt. cheesy smiley cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How To Subscribe To A Data Bundle On An Airtel SIM / Please Who Knows The Phone HOTWAV? / Airtel Now Giving Free 500MB, 1GB Or 2GB

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.