Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,741 members, 7,824,137 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:07 AM

How Do Egyptians Feel When Reffered To Metaphorically By Judeo-christians? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Do Egyptians Feel When Reffered To Metaphorically By Judeo-christians? (1338 Views)

Who Are The Unbelievers Reffered To In The Koran? / Who Are The Unbelievers Reffered To In The Koran? / Were Ancient Egyptians Fair Or Dark Skinned? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do Egyptians Feel When Reffered To Metaphorically By Judeo-christians? by esere826: 11:19am On Sep 02, 2012
Listening at service today, this tought just crossed my mind"
"How do Egyptians feel when they are reffered to metaphorically by Judeo-christians?"

Examples are:
"Come out of Egypt because Egypt is a place of darkness and slavery"
"Egypt means bondage"
"Egypt is spiritual wickedness and ruled by the devil" etc

I mean, imagine that Egypt was one of the tribes in Nigeria, and you hear pastors saying things like this:

-"The hausa/fulani tribe represents spirituual wickedness seeking to conquer and dominate the chosen children of God. We must throw away the yoke of slavery. Come out from the hausa/fulani territory saith the lord God of hosts and I will prosper you and make your days long"

-"In the bible, the yoruba kingdom refers to deceit and halotry, we are enjoined as christians to flee from her. Anyone who takes burning coal unto his bossom will get burnt". Pray that God gives you a discerning spirit to reject and bind the spirit of yoruba"

-"The igbo tribe represents confusion and usury of the people of Israel; it represents idolatory and the killing of little children. Israel could not fullfill God's divine purpose without Moses drowning their kings in the Red sea. Pray that all the stronghold of igbo kingdom in your life should perish"

(caveat emptor: I don't think that any of the chracterisation I have just made is true oo. Just giving examples wink )

Food for tought: How would you feel if it were your tribe that was mentioned in the bible and spoken so ill of by preachers some 4,000 years after?

1 Like

Re: How Do Egyptians Feel When Reffered To Metaphorically By Judeo-christians? by Nobody: 11:27am On Sep 02, 2012
egypt was not the name of a place. the place called egypt today was actually called MIZRAHIM. however because israelite slaves were their for a long time the name got changed to egypt. egypt means slavery or bondage. so in the bible when it says egypt, it is not referring to the land mass called egypt. it is refering to the places were the israelites were held in bondage. when it says come out of egypt my people it means even though you are in bondage in this place ( america, greek empire, roman empire etc etc ) do not take on the heathen customs of the oppressor. thats what it means when it says 'come out of egypt'
Re: How Do Egyptians Feel When Reffered To Metaphorically By Judeo-christians? by esere826: 11:39am On Sep 02, 2012
^^^^ Interesting

Lets stretch our emphaty little bit further:

-Would a preacher feel comfortable mentioning Egypt as a place of bondage and slavery if he or she is preaching in an Egyptian church filled to the brim with Egyptians?
-Would the congregation also feel comfortable with this?
-Would the preacher always have to explain before mentioning egypy as a metaphor for slavery?
-Or would the preacher simple choose to use another name instead of egypt?

1 Like

Re: How Do Egyptians Feel When Reffered To Metaphorically By Judeo-christians? by Delafruita(m): 11:40am On Sep 02, 2012
obadiah777: egypt was not the name of a place. the place called egypt today was actually called MIZRAHIM. however because israelite slaves were their for a long time the name got changed to egypt. egypt means slavery or bondage. so in the bible when it says egypt, it is not referring to the land mass called egypt. it is refering to the places were the israelites were held in bondage. when it says come out of egypt my people it means even though you are in bondage in this place ( america, greek empire, roman empire etc etc ) do not take on the heathen customs of the oppressor. thats what it means when it says 'come out of egypt'
buzugee,you have started with your hogwash stories
Re: How Do Egyptians Feel When Reffered To Metaphorically By Judeo-christians? by Nobody: 11:53am On Sep 02, 2012
esere826: ^^^^ Interesting

Lets stretch our emphaty little bit further:

-Would a preacher feel comfortable mentioning Egypt as a place of bondage and slavery if he or she is preaching in an Egyptian church filled to the brim with Egyptians?
-Would the congregation also feel comfortable with this?
-Would the preacher always have to explain before mentioning egypy as a metaphor for slavery?
-Or would the preacher simple choose to use another name instead of egypt?
well if you are preaching in the land mass called Egypt to a bunch of Egyptians, who are actually Arabs or Ishmaelites, then you have to be astute and adept. scripture says be as wise as a serpent and as harmless as a dove. so in your wisdom you change the name to something else.
Re: How Do Egyptians Feel When Reffered To Metaphorically By Judeo-christians? by Nobody: 11:55am On Sep 02, 2012
Delafruita:
buzugee,you have started with your hogwash stories
lol Delafruita this is recorded history. http://www.billcasselman.com/place_names_of_the_world/names_of_egypt.htm MIZRAIM NOT MIZRAHIM. LITTLE ERROR ON MY PATH

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mizraim
Re: How Do Egyptians Feel When Reffered To Metaphorically By Judeo-christians? by esere826: 11:56am On Sep 02, 2012
obadiah777: well if you are preaching in the land mass called Egypt to a bunch of Egyptians, who are actually Arabs or Ishmaelites, then you have to be astute and adept. scripture says be as wise as a serpent and as harmless as a dove. so in your wisdom you change the name to something else.

Excellent, now we are talking.

So this brings me to another thougt:

If I am an Egyptian, and anywhere I go within the christian faith and around the world, even on TV, I hear Egypt being referred to as a place of bondage and wickedness etc.Will this not harden my heart against Judaism and christianity?

Imagine everybody around you both in the News, around the world e.t.c saying stuff like:

"Don't let them "Nigerian" you". And when they say this, they mean don't get defrauded. "How would you feel?"
Re: How Do Egyptians Feel When Reffered To Metaphorically By Judeo-christians? by Nobody: 11:58am On Sep 02, 2012
esere826:

Excellent, now we are talking.

So this brings me to another thougt:

If I am an Egyptian, and anywhere I go within the christian faith and around the world, even on TV, I hear Egypt being referred to as a place of bondage and wickedness etc.Will this not harden my heart against Judaism and christianity?
IF YOU ARE WEAK MINDED WITH NO KNOWLEDGE OF HISTORY, IT WOULD
Re: How Do Egyptians Feel When Reffered To Metaphorically By Judeo-christians? by Delafruita(m): 11:58am On Sep 02, 2012
obadiah777: lol Delafruita this is recorded history. http://www.billcasselman.com/place_names_of_the_world/names_of_egypt.htm MIZRAIM NOT MIZRAHIM. LITTLE ERROR ON MY PATH

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mizraim
must you always quote apologetics of your train of thought?
Re: How Do Egyptians Feel When Reffered To Metaphorically By Judeo-christians? by Nobody: 11:59am On Sep 02, 2012
Delafruita:
must you always quote apologetics of your train of thought?
i just quoted you history http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mizraim
Re: How Do Egyptians Feel When Reffered To Metaphorically By Judeo-christians? by esere826: 12:01pm On Sep 02, 2012
obadiah777: IF YOU ARE WEAK MINDED WITH NO KNOWLEDGE OF HISTORY, IT WOULD

OK, as a strong minded person,

Imagine everybody around you both in the News, around the world e.t.c saying stuff like:

"Don't let them "Nigerian" you". And when they say this, they mean don't get defrauded. "How would you feel (considering thats its only a metaphor)?"
Re: How Do Egyptians Feel When Reffered To Metaphorically By Judeo-christians? by PAGAN9JA(m): 12:02pm On Sep 02, 2012
[size=32pt]IF THEY DID SO IN MY AREA, I WOULD TAKE A MOB AND BURN THE RASCALS DOWN![/size] angry angry angry angry
Re: How Do Egyptians Feel When Reffered To Metaphorically By Judeo-christians? by esere826: 12:04pm On Sep 02, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:
IF THEY DID SO IN MY AREA, I WOULD TAKE A MOB AND BURN THE RASCALS DOWN angry angry angry angry

lol.

Pagan, u don start again
Re: How Do Egyptians Feel When Reffered To Metaphorically By Judeo-christians? by Nobody: 12:06pm On Sep 02, 2012
esere826:

"Don't let them "Nigerian" you". And when they say this, they mean don't get defrauded. "How would you feel?"
I would find it amusing and interesting. I think i may even like it. Reason being, just as egypt is not the name of the land mass called egypt today and those people are not really egyptians, they are ishmaelites.....so also i know i am not a nigerian, its just a name bestowed on the country by white colonists. i am actually a hebrew israelite, but thats besides the point. back toyour question, i would find it funny amusing and interesting.
Re: How Do Egyptians Feel When Reffered To Metaphorically By Judeo-christians? by esere826: 12:10pm On Sep 02, 2012
esere826:

"Don't let them "Nigerian" you". And when they say this, they mean don't get defrauded. "How would you feel (considering thats its only a metaphor)?"

Answering my question,

I think I would first be mildly upset >> then I'll try to re-educate people >> if this doesn't work, i'll become more upset >> i'll then either grow a thick skin or i'll actually became a big fraud (self fulfilling prophesy)
Re: How Do Egyptians Feel When Reffered To Metaphorically By Judeo-christians? by PAGAN9JA(m): 12:10pm On Sep 02, 2012
obadiah777: i am actually a hebrew israelite,

warya: slaaaaaaaaaaaave niggggger tryin to be slaaaaaaaaaave,
Re: How Do Egyptians Feel When Reffered To Metaphorically By Judeo-christians? by esere826: 12:15pm On Sep 02, 2012
obadiah777: I would find it amusing and interesting. I think i may even like it. Reason being, just as egypt is not the name of the land mass called egypt today and those people are not really egyptians, they are ishmaelites.....so also i know i am not a nigerian, its just a name bestowed on the country by white colonists. i am actually a hebrew israelite, but thats besides the point. back toyour question, i would find it funny amusing and interesting.

Right.
it could be funny and amusing alright. It all boils down to personality escape routes.

But remember that while you escaped the psychological tag due to your personality build (of self-claiming another tribe), your loved ones might not be able to escape this tag and its effect
Re: How Do Egyptians Feel When Reffered To Metaphorically By Judeo-christians? by Nobody: 12:16pm On Sep 02, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

you are just an ignorant cretin with absolutely no knowledge of the world around you. you bask in shallow waters and form your opinions in the midst of the shallow waters you bask in. i pity people like you actually. just lost in this world with no bearing point.
Re: How Do Egyptians Feel When Reffered To Metaphorically By Judeo-christians? by Nobody: 12:17pm On Sep 02, 2012
esere826:

Right.
it could be funny and amusing alright. It all boils down to personality escape routes.

But remember that while you escaped the psychological tag due to your personality build (of self-claiming another tribe), your loved ones might not be able to escape this tag and its effect

birds of the same feather flock together. my loved ones will have the knowledge i have.
Re: How Do Egyptians Feel When Reffered To Metaphorically By Judeo-christians? by esere826: 12:18pm On Sep 02, 2012
^^^

although this inevitably launches us into another kind of thinking, but do you realise that this silo effect could be slightly selfish, self serving
Re: How Do Egyptians Feel When Reffered To Metaphorically By Judeo-christians? by esere826: 12:19pm On Sep 02, 2012
obadiah777: birds of the same feather flock together. my loved ones will have the knowledge i have.

You ever read about Frederick Douglas and Marthin Luther King??
Re: How Do Egyptians Feel When Reffered To Metaphorically By Judeo-christians? by Nobody: 12:22pm On Sep 02, 2012
esere826: ^^^

although this inevitably launches us into another kind of thinking, but do you realise that this silo effect could be slightly selfish, self serving
Bruh ? the whole world is bigger than your lil feelings. you have to learn to get over trivial issues like this. so what if the nigerian named is associated with scamming or slavery or evil ? what has that got to do with you ? when you die you think you appear to God as a Nigerian ? these are just labels on earth people put on themselves. you gotta MAN UP to survive out here chief. you cant be letting your lil feelings get hurt by trivial issues like this. MAN UP
Re: How Do Egyptians Feel When Reffered To Metaphorically By Judeo-christians? by esere826: 12:23pm On Sep 02, 2012
While the US was still neck deep in the Slavery after effects, Frederick a former mixed race slave rose to become an ambassador to Haiti i think. His family was still left in mental bondage. In fact, his kids saw him as white and hated him
Re: How Do Egyptians Feel When Reffered To Metaphorically By Judeo-christians? by Nobody: 12:25pm On Sep 02, 2012
esere826:

You ever read about Frederick Douglas and Marthin Luther King??
extensively. i also read about john brown, james forten, harriet tubman, sojourner truth, nat turner, gabriel posser, malcolm x, edgar meyers, delaney martin, lloyd garrison, wendell philip, etc etc. there is absolutely no black american history i have not read.
Re: How Do Egyptians Feel When Reffered To Metaphorically By Judeo-christians? by Nobody: 12:26pm On Sep 02, 2012
esere826: While the US was still neck deep in the Slavery after effects, Frederick a former mixed race slave rose to become an ambassador to Haiti i think. His family was still left in mental bondage. In fact, his kids saw him as white and hated him
you dont know what you are talking about. his kids did not see him as white. because of his struggles his kids went and joined the union army and fought in the american civil war.
Re: How Do Egyptians Feel When Reffered To Metaphorically By Judeo-christians? by esere826: 12:29pm On Sep 02, 2012
obadiah777: Bruh ? the whole world is bigger than your lil feelings. you have to learn to get over trivial issues like this. so what if the nigerian named is associated with scamming or slavery or evil ? what has that got to do with you ? when you die you think you appear to God as a Nigerian ? these are just labels on earth people put on themselves. you gotta MAN UP to survive out here chief. you cant be letting your lil feelings get hurt by trivial issues like this. MAN UP

Yup. Point taken

Frederick is not widely known, Martin Luther King on the other hand everyone knows, simply because his goal was to liberate others even at the pain of his own life. Much like Jesus I guess.

So..... "Man down" for others might be more appropriate in this new line of thought
Re: How Do Egyptians Feel When Reffered To Metaphorically By Judeo-christians? by Delafruita(m): 12:32pm On Sep 02, 2012
obadiah777: i just quoted you history http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mizraim
you call that bullcrap history?you can do better than that.you shouldnt just read one article and think it gives you the whole idea.when i got interested in the conquest of jericho as told by the bible,i studied every archeological dig that was dedicated to that site.some agreed with the bible,some didnt.based on all the information available to me,i agreed with those that agreed with the bible.

when i got interested in the shroud of turin,i researched every available article on it and arrived at my conclusion.

wikipedia is just as credible as nigeria's NTA and shouldnt always be your source
Re: How Do Egyptians Feel When Reffered To Metaphorically By Judeo-christians? by Nobody: 12:36pm On Sep 02, 2012
esere826:

Yup. Point taken

Frederick is not widely known, Martin Luther King on the other hand everyone knows, simply because his goal was to liberate others even at the pain of his own life. Much like Jesus I guess.

So..... "Man down" for others might be more appropriate in this new line of thought
Martin Luther King is a member of the black illuminati called the boule. what he was trying to do was funded by jewish white people. he was not trying to desegregate america for his own reason. he was trying to desegregate america because the 'jews' wanted that black buying power. during segregation the black community was strong. black businesses had to emerge because they couldnt buy from white stores. the jews wanted that black bussiness. desegregation was how they were going to get it. what happened after desegregation ? the once strong black community collapsed. all the money went to the jews. all the black shops got replaced by white owned stores. my point being MLK is celebrated by white people for a reason. there is a reason why they stay away from celebrating Malcolm X
Re: How Do Egyptians Feel When Reffered To Metaphorically By Judeo-christians? by esere826: 12:37pm On Sep 02, 2012
Now, we've learnt from one of the commentators that the way to deal with my original post is to psychologically assume the personality of a hebrew jew or something like that. The same commentator also made an intersting point about not directly referring to Egypt if preaching in Egypt

However, it would be great to have more opinions on the original post. Thanks
Re: How Do Egyptians Feel When Reffered To Metaphorically By Judeo-christians? by Nobody: 12:38pm On Sep 02, 2012
Delafruita:
you call that bullcrap history?you can do better than that.you shouldnt just read one article and think it gives you the whole idea.when i got interested in the conquest of jericho as told by the bible,i studied every archeological dig that was dedicated to that site.some agreed with the bible,some didnt.based on all the information available to me,i agreed with those that agreed with the bible.

when i got interested in the shroud of turin,i researched every available article on it and arrived at my conclusion.

wikipedia is just as credible as nigeria's NTA and shouldnt always be your source
http://www.whatswrongwithbeingblack.com/assets/wiwwbb2.pdf
Re: How Do Egyptians Feel When Reffered To Metaphorically By Judeo-christians? by esere826: 12:41pm On Sep 02, 2012
obadiah777: Martin Luther King is a member of the black illuminati called the boule. what he was trying to do was funded by jewish white people. he was not trying to desegregate america for his own reason. he was trying to desegregate america because the 'jews' wanted that black buying power. during segregation the black community was strong. black businesses had to emerge because they couldnt buy from white stores. the jews wanted that black bussiness. desegregation was how they were going to get it. what happened after desegregation ? the once strong black community collapsed. all the money went to the jews. all the black shops got replaced by white owned stores. my point being MLK is celebrated by white people for a reason. there is a reason why they stay away from celebrating Malcolm X

The highlighted point is striking, and I agree with it within a different context. I have a theory on this which is contained within this context: https://www.nairaland.com/998137/great-songhai-empire/7

esere826: Thanks guys for this informative post. I enjoyed reading every bit of it.

However, I am worried when sometimes we use the word colonial masters in our description of the europeans that invaded Africa. I think that this is an aberration. Looking through history books of various western cultures, i noticed that they tend to term ppl/nations that went against them derrogatirlly, while extolling the virtues of those that were more closely aligned to their course.

For example, while Martin luther King is extolled for the peacefull way he went about his struggles, Malcolm X is dimminished for his recourse to forceful change. WHereas, in that same USA, the violent rebellion of their fathers against their British overlords is extolled, while the British impositions were derided in the same vein.

I would sugesst that instead of us using the phrase 'colonial masters' which from my little understanding of psychology continues to entrap us, we use phrases like: colonialists, colonial invaders, economic invaders, colonial looters, empire expansionists etc. I hope this soon permeates into our literatures, especially those that our kids would be reading in the future.

As I am not so strong on culture literature like guys such as physicsQED are, and might therefore not be able to argue rigorously on the topic, I am therefore hoping that one of you open a new thread on this naming misnomer . And maybe request that the moderator makes it front page so that it enlightens other Africans and emancipates us from at least some of our mental slavery. Thanks
Re: How Do Egyptians Feel When Reffered To Metaphorically By Judeo-christians? by esere826: 12:49pm On Sep 02, 2012
And by the way Obadiah666,
Despite your many rants and 'once in a while' brilliance, it might surprise you to know that you're "preaching" to the already converted. A number of us have grown past personal escapes. We're now more concerned about others.

But, please back to the OP

(1) (2) (Reply)

Trinitarians And Bitarians , some food for thought / Can A Christian Filled With Holy Spirit Interpret This? / Is It A Sin For Women To Wear Trousers ? (my View)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.