Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,817,998 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:01 AM

Why Not Take Your Wife To Nigeria, Instead Of Polluting Our Country? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Not Take Your Wife To Nigeria, Instead Of Polluting Our Country? (1828 Views)

Why Most Nigerians Go To Malaysia Instead Of Europe And America / Warning: Don't Send Your Pregnant Wife To Uk / Nigerian, Is It Must We Leave Our Country? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Not Take Your Wife To Nigeria, Instead Of Polluting Our Country? by inspiredm(m): 12:13am On Jan 05, 2008
I read this today and was shocked !!!!!

I got to Jomo Kenyatta International Airport in the morning of December, 30, 2006 having left Murtala Muhammad International Airport the previous night. I was on a leave of absence from my teaching appointment at Moshood Abiola Polytechnic, Abeokuta. I got a pleasant thrill from the cold Nairobi weather, something I had experienced on my previous visit and prepared for.

My wife was at the airport to take me home. Meanwhile, I was issued a three month visiting visa at the Kenyan Embassy in Lagos which made it impossible for me to purchase a returning ticket commensurable to the one year leave of absence I was granted by the polytechnic authorities. What the personnel at the travel agency I was unfortunate to buy my flight ticket from assured me was that I could extend my visa at the immigration office in Nairobi, and my flight ticket at Kenya Airways office in Nairobi. In consonance with their assurance, I went to the immigration department three days to the expiration of my three-month visa to request for an extension.

Thus early in the morning of March 25, 2007, I arrived the department of alien immigration in Nairobi (the building is called Nyayo House) and queued with other immigrants with similar request. I can recollect vividly that I stood behind four other immigrants—two Asians, one Canadian and one American. The clerk behind the counter swiftly dealt with the three aliens—she examined their passports and asked them to fill forms and pay certain amount of money, their fingerprints taken, after which their passports were returned to them, they were instructed to come back in three weeks for their alien cards. The whole process did not take more than thirty minutes.

When it was my turn, the lady collected my passport, took one bewildered look at it and asked me to report to one Mr. Wanda on the seventh floor. I stood on the spot for seconds frowning. After a while, I shrugged and went to the lift. Mr. Wanda was not in the office; I waited at his door. About an hour later, an immigration officer asked for my mission I told him I was waiting for Mr. Wanda. He advised me to come back the following day as he was not sure Mr. Wanda would be coming to the office that day.

I was there the following day. Mr. Wanda was yet to arrive. I was chatting with one of the junior officers at the counter when a woman who later turned out to be a senior immigration officer arrived and asked my mission. I told her I was waiting for Mr Wanda. She informed me pointedly that Mr. Wanda would not be reporting for work that day. She demanded my specific mission. I told her that I wanted my visa extended and the lady behind the counter at the ground floor asked me to see Mr. Wanda. She frowned, thrust his palm forward, ‘Let me see your passport.’ I gave it to her. A mild exclamation. The following conversation ensued:   

‘What are you doing in Kenya?’

‘I am on a leave of absence which I am spending with my wife.’

‘You are married to a Kenyan?’

I nodded.

She looked at me pointedly and said there was no way I could be allowed to stay more than the three months I had spent. She advised me to go and buy my flight ticket; she would allow me to spend one more week in Nairobi.

‘But I am here with my wife.’ I shouted.

‘It does not matter. Why not take your wife to Nigeria instead of polluting our cou
ntry.’

I was flummoxed. ‘Polluting your country?’ I retorted. She ignored me and said, ‘The best you can expect apart from what I suggested is to wait for Mr. Wanda; he will be in the office tomorrow morning.’

‘Okay.’ I said, collected my passport and sauntered out of her cubicle of an office, reflecting.

By nine the following morning, I was at Mr. Wanda’s office. He was available. I met him writing a memo. Curiosity, that proverbial instinct that killed the cat took control of me. I stretched my long neck and peeped at what Mr. Wanda was writing and caught a hazy picture of his designation: he was a principal assistant controller of immigration or something similar to that. My curiosity heightened: why am I referred to such a top-notch for a simple immigration matter, something a common clerk handles for other nationals? 

‘Can I be of any assistance?’ The question cut through my thoughts. I managed a smile to camouflage my bafflement. I stammered a response, ‘I was asked to come and see you. I need to extend my visa.’

‘Let me see your passport.’

I handed the document over. He collected it, looked at the cover and sighed, ‘Nigerian.’

After he had read the visa pages he asked me what I have been doing in Kenya in the last three months. I told him that I had been visiting my wife.

‘Just that?’ he frowned.

‘Visiting my wife who I had left in the last two years is not enough reason?’

‘If you were a Kenyan and your wife, a Nigerian, it would have been okay but the way it is, now…Kenyan immigration laws do not recognize your kind of union.’

Thoroughly perplexed, I appraised Mr. Wanda curiously. ‘I am also researching a story I am writing about Nigeria and Kenya.’

He looked at me sharply. His countenance relaxing into a pleasant grin, ‘What do the two countries have in common?’

I brightened up and regaled him with a bit of my findings. He looked at me nonplussed and nodded. ‘I agree with some of your comparisons’ he said as he extracted a piece of paper and scribbled on it. He tucked the paper in the pages of my passport and handed it over to me with instructions to take the passport back to the immigration office on the ground floor where I would be attended to. I did as Mr. Wanda said but instead of my visa extension signed at the ground floor, I was asked to take it back to the seventh floor, to Mr. Wanda for his signature!  What is so special about extending a Nigerian visa?

I knocked the door and entered. He collected my passport and countersigned the visa page. He then plucked a giant iron stamp from a rack and stomped my passport with it. ‘Why is Nigeria this special?’ I asked under my breath.

Mr. Wanda smiled, ‘very special,’ he corroborated ignoring my question. I collected my passport and, as I was leaving, he said, ‘Your extended visa expires on June 29, by June 28 you should disappear from Kenya.’

I paused at the door, turned my head and looked at him pensively for a long moment. He met my gaze with an unflinching intent. I nodded and left.

culled from http://www.nigeriansinamerica.com/articles/1800/1/Why-Not-Take-Your-Wife-To-Nigeria-Instead-Of-Polluting-Our-Country/Page1.html
Re: Why Not Take Your Wife To Nigeria, Instead Of Polluting Our Country? by inspiredm(m): 12:14am On Jan 05, 2008
The west for centuries has found many ways to dehumanise black race. Now, within the black race, Kenyans for instance have found and or copying from the west to lower our self-esteem, what a caword move by the Kenya immigration officer(s) toyed around with Mr. Segun Akinyode for visiting so called-Kenya? Mr. Wanda was very lucky, if I was Mr. Akinyade, I would have slap his face for questioning with dehumanity. Poor leadership in Nigeria is really promoting other nations and of all nations-kenyans looking down on Nigerian(s). A good lesson for all of us-Nigerians to stay home and make it work!
Re: Why Not Take Your Wife To Nigeria, Instead Of Polluting Our Country? by inspiredm(m): 12:16am On Jan 05, 2008
We have ourselves to blame for our fate. People didn't treat us this bad in the past. It's just not the fault of the few bad eggs. Our fat, corrupt leadership doesn't care about its citizens, until the president's family or friends are assaulted. We need to change the focus of foreign policies. We can't go on sacrificing our human capital and natural resources to prop up these yeye African brothers, only to be treated like fools over and over again. This story would be good for the newapapers. We may even initiate an online petition to be presented to the new minister of foreign affairs. The least we can do for our so-called brothers and other nationals is to subject them to the same standard they hold us to.
Re: Why Not Take Your Wife To Nigeria, Instead Of Polluting Our Country? by naijaway(m): 12:29am On Jan 05, 2008
Sad story. Very sad indeed.
Re: Why Not Take Your Wife To Nigeria, Instead Of Polluting Our Country? by inspiredm(m): 12:40am On Jan 05, 2008
The colonial mentality is rampant everywhere in Africa-including our beloved naija! Just last summer, I was waiting for the porter at Transcorp to take my luggage outside, what did he do? sidetracked me and attended to a white man that came after me. And there were many instances where this happened- locals will give better treatment to foreigners than their own country-folk. The best cure for this colonization is to ship them abroad for 3months!!! When they see how the West really think about blacks, their colonized mindset will revert to normal
Re: Why Not Take Your Wife To Nigeria, Instead Of Polluting Our Country? by darfur(m): 1:31am On Jan 05, 2008
no need to be too bitter.
no need to hate the kenyans.
the truth is. . . . . . our country stinks . . . . .dont matter if you agree or not.
the stench has got to a point where even countries like uganda and rwanda wont want to associate freely with us.
we have a very bad image to be polite.
our people aint making it any easier with their determination to survive outside nigeria.
i've been in the Uk for a yr, i do not know of any country that is treated with disdain more than nigeria.
the steady damage done to our country is begining to bite hard.
Re: Why Not Take Your Wife To Nigeria, Instead Of Polluting Our Country? by Nobody: 11:13am On Jan 11, 2008
it doesn't mean we who have done nothing wrong should take it lying down.

really a sad story.

we want equality when we migrate to europe and america but are unable to treat our black brothers with the basic courtesy and respect, and treat each person on an individual basis. this story reeks of childish, and uneducated logic that u r a nigerian, and therefore undesirable.

@poster
u r so right. the government does not take the respect of nigeria as a nation to the nigerians themselves who make up the country.

but what can we do till we get good leaders?
Re: Why Not Take Your Wife To Nigeria, Instead Of Polluting Our Country? by PapaBrowne(m): 12:01am On Jan 12, 2008
Don't worry people! There is going 2 be a renaissance. Nigeria is coming back.
Many people can't see the tell tale signs, but we are definitely on a track to glory.
Not even Yar Adua can stop Nigeria, We will be a great nation and all these Kenyans and the like would be standin g at Seme Border trying to get in.
We all just have to contribute ouir own positive quota.
Re: Why Not Take Your Wife To Nigeria, Instead Of Polluting Our Country? by darfur(m): 2:13am On Jan 13, 2008
undecided . . . . . amen o . . . embarassed
Re: Why Not Take Your Wife To Nigeria, Instead Of Polluting Our Country? by NOUBLE(m): 3:09pm On Jan 13, 2008
i must admit, all your coments are great and accepted. keep it up great nigerians, i have been in the uk now for a little morethan 6years and cry everyday why should NIGERIA be in such condition. we have a very bad reputation and its likely to go worse. ca someone tell me who is responsible? confused
Re: Why Not Take Your Wife To Nigeria, Instead Of Polluting Our Country? by Blackcat(f): 3:53pm On Jan 13, 2008
inspired_m:

The colonial mentality is rampant everywhere in Africa-including our beloved naija! Just last summer, I was waiting for the porter at Transcorp to take my luggage outside, what did he do? sidetracked me and attended to a white man that came after me. And there were many instances where this happened- locals will give better treatment to foreigners than their own country-folk. The best cure for this colonization is to ship them abroad for 3months!!! When they see how the West really think about blacks, their colonized mindset will revert to normal

Well said. In addition to that the foreign movies shown to the masses in Nigeria should be changed. They should show them the kind of movies I see here in Europe. Movies that tend to show the white man degrading the black man then maybe like you said "their colonized mindset will revert to normal"
Re: Why Not Take Your Wife To Nigeria, Instead Of Polluting Our Country? by honeric01(m): 4:40pm On Jan 13, 2008
why wouldn't they treat us the way we are treated now? when we all believe that until we get out of our country, then we can't make it in life,  una never see anything, if nigerians no take care, we are going to see a process wey sudan and benin republic will chase us away from their border, not to talk of getting into their country. shio eyin osanle angry angry
Re: Why Not Take Your Wife To Nigeria, Instead Of Polluting Our Country? by Blackcat(f): 7:02pm On Jan 13, 2008
So what do you Nigerian men intend to do about the current situation in the country
Re: Why Not Take Your Wife To Nigeria, Instead Of Polluting Our Country? by wany(f): 7:39pm On Jan 13, 2008
we deserve worst,we always think we are smart at everything,see what it has cost,every nigerian is seen as a dupe.from top to bottom.all thanks to the big politicians and our dearest yahoo boys down to nigerian home movies.which really projects nigerians as ritualist and 419ers.then our gbogbotigbo brothers trying to survive out side by all means.where any thing goes to make it happen.my dear you dont expect less.
Re: Why Not Take Your Wife To Nigeria, Instead Of Polluting Our Country? by Blackcat(f): 3:26pm On Jan 14, 2008
it's really disheartening   sad
Re: Why Not Take Your Wife To Nigeria, Instead Of Polluting Our Country? by inspiredm(m): 11:03am On Jan 15, 2008
Well said Wany, Down to the Nigerian Home Video industry. they potray Nigeria as some obscured world where witchcraft, rituals and fraud are the order of the day. but wait,  is it not ?
Re: Why Not Take Your Wife To Nigeria, Instead Of Polluting Our Country? by Blackcat(f): 2:50pm On Jan 15, 2008
inspired_m:

Well said Wany, Down to the Nigerian Home Video industry. they potray Nigeria as some obscured world where witchcraft, rituals and fraud are the order of the day. but wait, is it not ?

It is not. If not for the Nigerian movies I would not have even known such things exist.
Re: Why Not Take Your Wife To Nigeria, Instead Of Polluting Our Country? by londoner: 4:26pm On Jan 16, 2008
Nigeria has its bad sides , but some the atrocities commited in places like Rwanda, Congo, Ivory Coast, Liberia, Sudan, Somalia, Zimbabwe over the past years make some of what goes on in Nigeria look like childs play. If Africa really wants to take an honest look at herself, then the ethnic cleansing, civil war, dictatorships, Aids epidemics of our fellow nations needs to be mentioned. Its all to easy to point the finger at Nigeria, but for a country of our size with all the religious and ethnic differences, our present situation is not even considered in the same breath as some of the places I mentioned above.

Sure we can do much better, but take a look at the whole continent, is Nigeria really the worst?
Re: Why Not Take Your Wife To Nigeria, Instead Of Polluting Our Country? by ayinba1(f): 1:54pm On Jan 19, 2008
@MOST REPLIERS

I am utterly disgusted at some of the replies in here. I am a Nigerian, I do not deserve to be treated badly. Some of you here are actually demanding to be treated like animals or less. If you continue to receive and accept subhuman treatment,it will not go away.

What kind of psyche have we here? I am well respected at my work and school place in the US and they know I am a Nigerian and I am not the only one. Every society has its ills but please it is sickening when we begin to generalize. A lot of Nigerians are making wonderful contributions both at home and abroad. It is an insult when a Nigerian generalizes. For those who have been fortunate too see how good human/customer service works, education is the key. Demand good service, it may take time but the sacrifice is well worth it!
Re: Why Not Take Your Wife To Nigeria, Instead Of Polluting Our Country? by deor03(m): 7:21am On Jan 20, 2008
We don't deserve to be treated badly but we sef we NO dey try. We disgrace ourselves everywhere.
There is NO respect for us , infact Africans don't see us as equals they see us as people with wahala following it about.
We are actually a bunch of disgrace, abi how can you explain the situation we find ourselves right now.
Even Nigerian run away from themselves especially if you travel abroad.

Very Bad really
Re: Why Not Take Your Wife To Nigeria, Instead Of Polluting Our Country? by londoner: 2:16pm On Jan 20, 2008
There needs to be balance, were there is an African community doing exploits abroad, its also Nigerians.

They have to admit that too, its all very well siting our over representation in negative things, but we also stand out in positive contribution abroad.

Where is the South African/Ghanaian/Kenyan/Ethiopian equivalents of Buchi Emecheta, Phillip Emegweali, Ngozi Okonjo-Eweala, Wole Soyinka, Chimamanda Adichie,  John Fashanu to name but a very few? These countries would have to pool their great achievers together to come up with the same  number of Nigerian individuals doing exploits abroad and reaching such heights at that level. So they really need to be more balanced, some would say they need to pull their weight.

If Africans abroad are honest with themselves, they will see that we are also outdoing them in positive exploits as a country. Many of who's citizens fade into insignificance once they decide to live abroad. It may sound harsh, but its the truth as I see it.
Re: Why Not Take Your Wife To Nigeria, Instead Of Polluting Our Country? by Nobody: 5:55pm On Nov 26, 2009
@Poster

True:::  embarassed Nigerian Passport, but we don't deserve this treatment

Likewise here, the Chinese government do extend visas easily for Nigerians but now it's worst!!

One day I was at the immigration here: A Chinese ask me why are your country people bad? Why? Why? I was like there are bad people every where [OK]

And a white girl near me told me that Nigerians makes the loudiest noise in terms of doing things illegally, I was shocked,   shocked

She told me other countries also do participate in illegal stuffs but she doesn't know why Nigerian case is just different:::

I don't know why, she said
Re: Why Not Take Your Wife To Nigeria, Instead Of Polluting Our Country? by noblegas2(m): 10:46pm On Nov 26, 2009
Kenya!!! Seriously of all places.anyways same ish is been done in Senegal & some oda useless african contries, but if any foreigner tells me rubbish lasan, i go surely giv am double or even quadriple!!!
Re: Why Not Take Your Wife To Nigeria, Instead Of Polluting Our Country? by dancewith: 6:38pm On Nov 27, 2009
This is utterly disgusting. and to think some folks here actually supports the kenyans!!! But again, where d hell is kenya?? is it not that backward country where they were actually butchering each other over election? That shit hole with shanty houses? pleaseeee. Its a wonder Nigerians dignify that accursed rat hole with a visit. I wouldn't near the jungle if they want to decorate with a million dollars. divorce the woman and get a life

NB. Please make sure we deport any kenyas venturing near our shores. They need us, we dont need them. Trust me on this.
Re: Why Not Take Your Wife To Nigeria, Instead Of Polluting Our Country? by redsky1: 8:01pm On Nov 27, 2009
inspired_m:

very funny - this happens alot at the airport - i remember one oyinbo that tried to jump in front of me in the queue and I looked at him and said excuse me there is a queue wait ur turn, i boldly told him and the stupid immigration officer that wanted to serve him b4 me that i too have a red passport so mr white should wait his turn - london is a leveller and that is where we are both going - colo mentality indeed.
Re: Why Not Take Your Wife To Nigeria, Instead Of Polluting Our Country? by MrCrackles(m): 8:05pm On Nov 27, 2009
This is disgraceful! sad
Re: Why Not Take Your Wife To Nigeria, Instead Of Polluting Our Country? by Kc0022000(m): 12:34am On Nov 28, 2009
Its a common thing with the Green Passport, maybe Nigeria should change the colour grin well the poster experience was in 2006 things have changed now between both countries however Nigeria still doenst have a good image and its something we all know. Our get rich or die trying kill the jack
Re: Why Not Take Your Wife To Nigeria, Instead Of Polluting Our Country? by AjanleKoko: 8:52am On Nov 28, 2009
Simple explanation, actually.
Black people already are blessed with a negative bad stereotype. Even the great MJ sang about it 'I'm Bad'! (just kidding, y'all!)
One in five blacks are Nigerian. Therefore it would be simple logic to assume that Nigerians are the worst of black people, by numbers. Imagine if you met five different bad blacks (sic) everyday, and one of them was Nigerian. What would be your conclusion?
Re: Why Not Take Your Wife To Nigeria, Instead Of Polluting Our Country? by SeanT21(f): 10:32am On Nov 28, 2009
Nigerians have a bad reputation around the world. Hopefully, it gets better..
Re: Why Not Take Your Wife To Nigeria, Instead Of Polluting Our Country? by mamagee3(f): 6:50pm On Nov 28, 2009
Nigerians abroad make me sick. angry

(1) (Reply)

Winners Of 2011 American Visa Lottery. / Kindly Help With Guest House/hotel Around Ogba/ikeja Area / Urgent!!! How Safe Is Taraba State To Live?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.