Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,751 members, 7,824,158 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:20 AM

WINDOWS RT: Microsoft What Is This? - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / WINDOWS RT: Microsoft What Is This? (1953 Views)

How To Unlock MTN Sm@rt Mini S620 Dual SIM Android Phones / Nokia Windows RT With 10.1-inch Sirius Slate / 10 Drawbacks Of Windows RT (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

WINDOWS RT: Microsoft What Is This? by 4llerbuntu(m): 4:21pm On Sep 03, 2012
I do not intend that this be taken as criticism for its sake or fanboyism,

but i came across this videos and im like wondering, since when did the definition of a touch interface get limited to just a fancy start menu replacement overlay? the old gaddem windows is there. no change.

im upset, primarily because i kinda was hoping this product will give Apple a fight, but from what im seeing, it feels like a gimmick.

[size=18pt]this is the RT version of windows 8. the one supposed to be primarily aimed at tablets.
[/size]

this is not a touch interface!!! other than the start menu, this is so not touch optimised.

i know a laptop from 4 years ago that you could do this with that also sports a digitizer!

unfortunately what i have been hearing from apologists are excuses that you can hook up a keyboard and mouse to it, as if that cures the issue. dont ipads and android tablets use keyboards too?

see for yourself. forget what the mumu in the video is saying, he is famzing microsoft as usual.

use ur eyes and make your own judgment. is this a reasonable [b]tablet os [/b]implementation? what is this?

this pple are just full of hot air. nonsense

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOyOqzLKRKg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4D06Lb0W37w
Re: WINDOWS RT: Microsoft What Is This? by 4llerbuntu(m): 4:44pm On Sep 03, 2012
i guess somebody was right when he siad:

[In Windows 8] you have this shiny tablet interface, and you sit and you use then you press the wrong button then it slaps you in the face and Windows 7 is back.

And then you think OK, this is familiar, so you’re kind of getting into it and whack [Windows 8 is back]

i feel cheated, and im not even a windows fan or user, neither will i spend my dime on it.

imagine device manager on a touch screen. and you still have the same registry hell and drivers issue as per the same old windows. this is cheating! angry angry angry angry

this is cheating, lies and rubbish. they kept on claiming the touch version was not as it was seen in the dev versions. the RTM and the earlier versions are practically identical
Re: WINDOWS RT: Microsoft What Is This? by Skywalker5(m): 1:39pm On Sep 05, 2012
i agree with you.they are identical but they decide to hide most of the features.you have to enable most of them or set it up. windows server 2012 came out yesterday.i just installed it and men,its frustrating like windows 8. the new OS are good for IT guys but for end users, that another training to be done. i think people wont migrate to windows 8 just yet, just like when people refuse to migrate to windows vista and remain on windows XP which is very stable.

We recently tried out windows 8 on end users and my phone keeps going off with end users complaining about missing icons and they were not impressed with the complexity of it. at the end, we had to return them back to XP.
Re: WINDOWS RT: Microsoft What Is This? by texazzpete(m): 5:02pm On Sep 05, 2012
4llerbuntu: i guess somebody was right when he siad:

[In Windows 8] you have this shiny tablet interface, and you sit and you use then you press the wrong button then it slaps you in the face and Windows 7 is back.

And then you think OK, this is familiar, so you’re kind of getting into it and whack [Windows 8 is back]

i feel cheated, and im not even a windows fan or user, neither will i spend my dime on it.

imagine device manager on a touch screen. and you still have the same registry hell and drivers issue as per the same old windows. this is cheating! angry angry angry angry

this is cheating, lies and rubbish. they kept on claiming the touch version was not as it was seen in the dev versions. the RTM and the earlier versions are practically identical

You're a disgrace.

Windows RT will keep you in the Metro interface 99.9% of the time. All settings are accessible in the Metro interface.

The only desktop apps thrown in are Microsoft Office 2013 and Internet Explorer (for webpages that need plugins like Flash, If needed). 3rd party devs will not be able to code apps for the desktop. If you do not click the 'Desktop' tile or use Microsoft Office, you will NEVER need to spend any time in the desktop.

Abeg TRY and pay attention to anything that is not linux or Android. The so-called 'start menu replacement' IS the interface you'll spend more time in.

Windows RT offers up all the advantages of ARM processors (long battery life etc), Metro mode will have loads of apps in no time (they'll definitely outstrip Android before 2013 runs out) and if you need to get productive, you can link up a keyboard and mouse and use the REAL Microsoft Office.

Are you sure you're not just trolling?!
Re: WINDOWS RT: Microsoft What Is This? by 4llerbuntu(m): 5:48pm On Sep 05, 2012
texazzpete:

Abeg TRY and pay attention to anything that is not linux or Android. The so-called 'start menu replacement' IS the interface you'll spend more time in.

YOU are the one who should actually start paying attention. it seems you are developing ADHD

the start tiles and the application selection menu are the only thing with tiles slapped on.

once you start an app or go beyond that two you get dumped in a generic windows interface.

WATCH THE FRIGGIN YOUTUBE VIDEOS I EMBEDDED BEFORE SPOUTING YOUR GRAMMER.

i guess you spend 99.9% of your time staring at live tiles and menu?
Re: WINDOWS RT: Microsoft What Is This? by texazzpete(m): 7:02pm On Sep 05, 2012
4llerbuntu:

YOU are the one who should actually start paying attention. it seems you are developing ADHD

the start tiles and the application selection menu are the only thing with tiles slapped on.

once you start an app or go beyond that two you get dumped in a generic windows interface.

WATCH THE FRIGGIN YOUTUBE VIDEOS I EMBEDDED BEFORE SPOUTING YOUR GRAMMER.

i guess you spend 99.9% of your time staring at live tiles and menu?

Oh jeez.

You're even dumber than i thought.

Those live tiles opens up in the Metro mode. You'll NEVER see the Desktop if you aren't using any one of the built in Microsoft 'pro' apps that run in Desktop mode like Paint, Microsoft Office and IE10 Desktop mode.

Once you start a normal, metro APP, you do NOT go to the generic Desktop. In the video (in which the journalist DELIBERATELY opens up desktop apps or desktop settings), the Journalist WANTS to use Desktop mode. All other apps and games and programs including the default IE10 browser, built-in games and apps, music and video players et al will ALL open up in Metro mode.

THERE WILL BE NO APPS FROM THE WINDOWS MARKETPLACE THAT WILL HAVE DESKTOP ACCESS!!!

You post a video you did not even watch...if your office does not allow you to watch video with speaker on, PLEASE invest in a decent pair of headphones.

Again, you're a disgrace. You need to learn more about consumer tech. Aside from linux and Android, your ignorance on these things is truly staggering.

With Windows RT Microsoft has made a tablet for the people who love consuming media and apps...and also with a dual personality for those who like being productive with a world-class office suite. No Android tablet in existence will provide as much productivity boost for businesses as this will.

TheVerge has an excellent article where they outline why Windows RT/Pro will practically crush Android tablets and become the only legitimate competitor to the iPad. I suggest you read it here

http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/4/3291249/the-end-of-android-tablets-google-amazon-kindle-fire-microsoft-windows-8

Ignorant fandroid troll grin
Re: WINDOWS RT: Microsoft What Is This? by 4llerbuntu(m): 9:52pm On Sep 05, 2012
which metro apps?

bros, hmmn well old age don dey set in.

everyone else who reads this thread shld pls watch the videos and tell us what they think vis a vis my complaint.

idiotically u think im putting down this product, i am not. i am at present a fanboy of every product that competes with an apple product.

KEYWORDS ARE TABLET, TOUCH INPUT, COMPARE WITH IOS

in your mumu utopia the user will only see two things on the tablet throughout his life, metro, and live metro( sorry modern) apps?

how does this compare with ios on ipad considering those three keywords?
btw what is dat desktop mode for? alien and alien apps? can you compare using that RT word processor with the ones on ipad using touch only?

if only you would quit your stereotypes. wat the f has android got to do with this? we talking money, u talkin nonsense. we wan comot apple swagger u dey mention android on a tablet? android no get tablet cred.

way i see it, u use this thing u end up lugging around a keyboard and mouse. like the ipad has shown, competent tablets are muscling out pcs

. you can carry an ipad about without a keyboard and mouse and use it competently FOR EVERYTHING IT CAN DO

its not like the only thing a tablet is useful for is watching videos and light browsing.
other than not running x86 apps, this is identical to d desktop version. and that sums it all up
Re: WINDOWS RT: Microsoft What Is This? by texazzpete(m): 6:27am On Sep 06, 2012
4llerbuntu: which metro apps?

bros, hmmn well old age don dey set in.

everyone else who reads this thread shld pls watch the videos and tell us what they think vis a vis my complaint.

idiotically u think im putting down this product, i am not. i am at present a fanboy of every product that competes with an apple product.

KEYWORDS ARE TABLET, TOUCH INPUT, COMPARE WITH IOS

in your mumu utopia the user will only see two things on the tablet throughout his life, metro, and live metro( sorry modern) apps?

how does this compare with ios on ipad considering those three keywords?
btw what is dat desktop mode for? alien and alien apps? can you compare using that RT word processor with the ones on ipad using touch only?

if only you would quit your stereotypes. wat the f has android got to do with this? we talking money, u talkin nonsense. we wan comot apple swagger u dey mention android on a tablet? android no get tablet cred.

way i see it, u use this thing u end up lugging around a keyboard and mouse. like the ipad has shown, competent tablets are muscling out pcs

. you can carry an ipad about without a keyboard and mouse and use it competently FOR EVERYTHING IT CAN DO

its not like the only thing a tablet is useful for is watching videos and light browsing.
other than not running x86 apps, this is identical to d desktop version. and that sums it all up

Just when I think i've educated you, you show up again spouting nonsense.

Would you do us a favour and READ up about technologies before you start spouting ignorance laced whiny complaints?

Windows 8 is priced to sell. By the end of the year, more than 50 million computers will be running Windows 8. Windows 8 ships with access to the Windows Marketplace...which only sells 'Metro' styled apps. All these apps will be available for both WIndows RT and Windows 8.

As it stands today, even in the beta versions of Windows 8 available today, there are already thousands of apps, with tens of thousands more waiting to arrive at launch, including all the big name players like Chrome, Skype, Netflix, Firefox etc.

Microsoft has thrown in a free version of Office in Desktop mode...and a free, souped up version of Paint...among other apps. In Metro mode, you'll have the same Office suites that 3rd parties have released on the iPad. In desktop mode, you'll have a PROFESSIONAL Office application which works well with mouse and keyboard....and which has a 'Touch Mode' that can be enabled for better finger usage.

So...since when did providing users with an alternate, professional side become a bad thing?

The videos you provided makes it VERY clear that while most apps on Windows RT are Metro apps, there are a few apps that are specifically meant for Desktop mode. The video explicitly goes on to demonstrate these Desktop apps...and you dumbly come on Nairaland to rant that ALL apps open to the Desktop mode.

This is stoopid, even by your standards grin

Dear 4llerbuntu,

Re: WINDOWS RT: Microsoft What Is This? by 4llerbuntu(m): 6:42am On Sep 06, 2012
the 'apps' in those videos were sideloaded?
undecided

the device manager, desktop mode, registry, are all gonna be disabled?

ONLY METRO APPS will run on the RT version?

this 50 million windows 8 is just 50 million windows 8 RT or all windows 8 versions?

im plain old st00pid, make me smarter, oh massa educate meeeeeeeeeee

last i remember, i was on win 8 RT vs IPAD . not sure where the WIN8 all came in.

so in short, d ipad will remain king of the hill? : sobs:

effing self-righteous troll like u
Re: WINDOWS RT: Microsoft What Is This? by 4llerbuntu(m): 6:53am On Sep 06, 2012
seriously, teach me abt this windows hybrid thing. i was thinking the tablet version will stick to being a tablet, but i see its a chameleon.

as far as i can tell clicking one particular button dumps me in desktop looking screen.
i thot the chameleon was just the desktop version.

oh well, i guess i just have to wait in vain for the ipad killer.

one thing iv noticed abt u is that you think every consumer is a geek or should have an IQ above 200.
the fact that this RT thing can turn fancy tricks is not a good thing for the average user. all those win domains shit is for the techies and admins.

An IPAD is I.D.I.O.T. proof. you touch it. it works, EVERYWHERE, IN EVERY SCREEN ON IT. easily. you dont even have to have seen it before to use it

this has screens where touching it is like pinching a strange female arse in the mall.
u gonna get slapped grin grin grin grin,

whats the point of an ipad killer if your boss/pple who can really afford to buy it have to call sys admins/tech support/ask on NL etc 10 times a day whilst learning to use it? little i know, most peeps will just hands up and go back to an IPAD.

For example how many times have you seen any post on NL asking on how to use an IPAD? all you see is Jailbreak, recommend apps etc. this one will definitely have pple asking.

the fact that you have to learn sef is......... smh

[size=18pt]NEEDLESS TO SAY, I AM ACTUALLY ROOTING FOR THIS PRODUCT, I JUST DONT THINK ITS WHAT I THOUGHT IT WOULD BE[/size]

oh i almost forgot... DEATH TO APPLE! grin grin grin grin grin i think i should put that in my siggy
Re: WINDOWS RT: Microsoft What Is This? by texazzpete(m): 9:11am On Sep 06, 2012
4llerbuntu: the 'apps' in those videos were sideloaded?
undecided

the device manager, desktop mode, registry, are all gonna be disabled?

ONLY METRO APPS will run on the RT version?

this 50 million windows 8 is just 50 million windows 8 RT or all windows 8 versions?

im plain old st00pid, make me smarter, oh massa educate meeeeeeeeeee

last i remember, i was on win 8 RT vs IPAD . not sure where the WIN8 all came in.

so in short, d ipad will remain king of the hill? : sobs:

effing self-righteous troll like u

You cannot go to desktop mode by clicking on any button. You have to click on the 'Desktop' tile or launch a 'Desktop' app. 'Desktop' apps are pre-installed by Microsoft. The average user will NEVER enter Desktop mode unless he/she wants to.

The Metro interface is a walled garden like the ipad's...no sideloaded apps.

I mentioned Windows 8 because any metro app coded for Windows 8 will have an equivalent ARM version that'll work on Windows RT...so we should see an app explosion. The Windows marketplace should be the next big app rush for developers hoping to make it big.

Windows RT works just the way the iPad does...you click on an icon/tile and it opens an app. The added advantage is that you can run Metro Apps side by side so there's more robust multitasking. There are gestures you can also do...which should easily be conveyed in hands on tutorials to end users. Nobody's going to be confused by tapping on an excel icon and being transported to a desktop version of Excel, then pressing the Start button to go back to the Metro interface.

Happy now?
Re: WINDOWS RT: Microsoft What Is This? by 4llerbuntu(m): 2:44pm On Sep 06, 2012
texazzpete:
Nobody's going to be confused by tapping on an excel icon and being transported to a desktop version of Excel, then pressing the Start button to go back to the Metro interface.

Happy now?

yes massa, a lil.

but isn't the quoted what the chap was doing in those videos? excel, word docs that supposedly have tablet modes that are'nt really different from desktop mode?

plus this issue of desktop tile. why is it even there at all? why can i see a desktop, see a device manager thats identical with windows normal one on the RT tablet why? micorsoft LOCKUP joor. una eff up

in short, im getting old. i dont understand all these things again..... i retiring to my village embarassed
Re: WINDOWS RT: Microsoft What Is This? by texazzpete(m): 4:32pm On Sep 06, 2012
4llerbuntu:

yes massa, a lil.

but isn't the quoted what the chap was doing in those videos? excel, word docs that supposedly have tablet modes that are'nt really different from desktop mode?

plus this issue of desktop tile. why is it even there at all? why can i see a desktop, see a device manager thats identical with windows normal one on the RT tablet why? micorsoft LOCKUP joor. una eff up

in short, im getting old. i dont understand all these things again..... i retiring to my village embarassed

There may be Windows Market apps for opening and editing word, excel and powerpoint docs, but Microsoft has thrown in the big daddy of 'em all for free...and it's purely desktop mode only.

The Desktop tile is there for advanced users to get to the Desktop if they want to, especially for document creating and editing. Perhaps you just don't appreciate how massive a product microsoft office really is.

Windows RT shares much of the Windows 8 core technologies. It's actually a good thing in many ways as many Windows 8 apps can be ported over to Win RT without much stress. Last week at IFA, epic games demonstrated the full version of the Unreal Engine running on Windows RT. not the stripped down mobile version that's for iOS and Android but the full Desktop version. So for example, a Dev can make an Unreal Engine game for the Xbox 360 and Windows 8, and then just port to Windows RT without that much effort.

Look at the advantages. For example, if you go to motioninjoy.com, they have drivers that allow you pair your PS3 controller with a windows PC via bluetooth. All those drivers can easily be transferred to Windows RT without any rewriting and can be ported over in days.

You may also enter Desktop Mode, connect a printer to your tablet via USB and use Paint to import your pictures for editing!

So....at its basic form, Metro mode will give users the ipad-esque walled garden curated apps that'll be great for gaming and media consumption...and the Desktop mode should be great for advanced users. But basic users will NOT have to enter Desktop mode unless they want to.
Re: WINDOWS RT: Microsoft What Is This? by Bawss1(m): 4:46pm On Sep 06, 2012
On behalf of you know who.

TP,

Thanks for the schooling.
cheesy
Re: WINDOWS RT: Microsoft What Is This? by 4llerbuntu(m): 4:56pm On Sep 06, 2012
Bawss1: On behalf of you know who.

TP,

Thanks for the schooling.
cheesy

gengen. 1-0

you are in troublem
Re: WINDOWS RT: Microsoft What Is This? by Bawss1(m): 4:58pm On Sep 06, 2012
4llerbuntu:

gengen. 1-0

you are in troublem

No worries. I don't troll tongue
Re: WINDOWS RT: Microsoft What Is This? by 4llerbuntu(m): 5:02pm On Sep 06, 2012
Bawss1:

No worries. I don't troll tongue

YEEEEEE! 2-0

and what is wrong with trolling? tongue tongue

if not for me, this tech thread was damn boring! nobody visits except advertisers and people selling FBT

now u look forward to coming here to laugh and learn.

dont lie, you always come here whenever you are on NL to come and laugh. I PRACTICALLY MADE THIS PLACE INTERESTING JUST LIKE POLITICS AND ROMANCE SECTIONS>

I deserve a medal!

(1) (Reply)

Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc S Lt18i 3g Issues / Nokia X2 Dual Sim With 1gb Of Ram And 4.3-inch Display Launched / #bendgate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.