Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,060 members, 7,818,177 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:31 AM

Air Nigeria Suspends Operations And Sacks Workers - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Air Nigeria Suspends Operations And Sacks Workers (9840 Views)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here / Nigeria Suspends Gambian National Airline Over Ebola Virus / Nigeria Suspends Dana Air Licence. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Air Nigeria Suspends Operations And Sacks Workers by rodeo0070(m): 6:25am On Sep 05, 2012
The management of Air Nigeria has announced the suspension of all its local, regional and international operations with effect from Monday, September 10, 2012.

A statement from the airline said the suspension was largely due to staff disloyalty and environmental tension, “which are not conducive for business in the aviation sector.”

The airline said it regretted any inconvenience the decision would cause its loyal passengers on all the routes and advised them to contact agents from whom they had purchased tickets for refunds.

The statement quoted the Chairman of the airline, Mr. Jimoh Ibrahim, as saying that it was difficult to continue further investment in the carrier with the high level of staff disloyalty and weak business environment.

“But we are strongly committed to ensuring that Air Nigeria survives,” he added.

Ibrahim said about 50 loyal members of staff from various departments of the airline had been selected with a mandate to recommence business within 12 months, while the others had been relieved of their employment effective from the last day of work on their various routes.

He thanked stakeholders for their “massive support” in the last two years of operation of Air Nigeria under the new management.

Ibrahim explained that the suspension of all the operations of Air Nigeria was not unusual.

He said, “Corporations are like individuals, who naturally will get sick, and the usual thing to do is to admit them to hospitals, either for corporate surgery or for treatment, as the case may be.

“During such period, it is not likely that they will work in full capacity, depending on the nature of the illness.”

The suspension of operations, he added, was not due to load factor, but largely to staff disloyalty and weak business environment.

Air Nigeria (formerly Virgin Nigeria), was established in 2004 when the Federal Government and Virgin Atlantic Airways signed a Memorandum of Mutual Understanding that gave birth to the airline. Air Nigeria, then trading as Virgin Nigeria Airways, started operating on June 28, 2005 with flights to London.

Air Nigeria had a few months ago suspended its local and regional flights after its pilots embarked on a nationwide strike.

The carrier later resumed operations after its aircraft were certified safe and secure by the Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority.

After operating for sometime, it announced that it was suspending its local and regional flights after the industry regulator, NCAA, accused it of being in financial distress.

The carrier’s international operation had, however, been operating until Tuesday’s decision to suspend all operations.

http://www.punchng.com/business/business-economy/air-nigeria-suspends-operations-sacks-workers/
Re: Air Nigeria Suspends Operations And Sacks Workers by RickyRoss1(m): 8:38am On Sep 05, 2012
Hmm, I thought they said this airline was suspended after DANA Air Crash?
I was at Port Harcourt airport yesterday to buy air Nigeria ticket and was told they have been suspended? Only Arik and Aero Contractors are operating from Port harcourt International airport and you need to see the kind of crowd there. The airport is now like a molue park.
Re: Air Nigeria Suspends Operations And Sacks Workers by Demdem(m): 8:41am On Sep 05, 2012
What an excuse. Staff disloyalty. Me thinks the management may the primary problem.
Re: Air Nigeria Suspends Operations And Sacks Workers by faithin9ja: 8:46am On Sep 05, 2012
Jimoh!!!! He has collected billions from FG for repairs to aircraft, collected billions from financial institutions to purchase the airline in the first place and now he will just close it down.

Wow, this sort of thing gives capitalism a bad name.
Re: Air Nigeria Suspends Operations And Sacks Workers by Nobody: 9:23am On Sep 05, 2012
[size=15pt]Someone told me a company Jimoh Ibrahim buys always ends up this way.
MAYBE HE SHOULD JUST STICK TO HIS FILLING STATIONS.[/size]

See his business and investment portfolio.
Re: Air Nigeria Suspends Operations And Sacks Workers by adora4u1: 9:24am On Sep 05, 2012
Better now than plane crash later!

3 Likes

Re: Air Nigeria Suspends Operations And Sacks Workers by Nobody: 9:26am On Sep 05, 2012
Cost of running businesses in Naija is really on the high side. I dont blame his decision. Tough to keep afloat.
Re: Air Nigeria Suspends Operations And Sacks Workers by Nobody: 9:27am On Sep 05, 2012
Greedy jimoh ibrahim.the same thing just happen to newswatch that he just became the chairman.this is the type of privatization Nigeria preaches, buy and kill.
Re: Air Nigeria Suspends Operations And Sacks Workers by Deiok(m): 9:28am On Sep 05, 2012
why is it always a difficult thing to maitain air planes in nigeria?. Nawaoh.
Re: Air Nigeria Suspends Operations And Sacks Workers by Kx: 9:29am On Sep 05, 2012
Massive investments suspended becos of mere staff disloyalty?

Why dont they just come out and declare bankruptcy instead of coloring it?
Re: Air Nigeria Suspends Operations And Sacks Workers by ifyalways(f): 9:30am On Sep 05, 2012
Long expected . . . And overdue.
Re: Air Nigeria Suspends Operations And Sacks Workers by Deiok(m): 9:31am On Sep 05, 2012
nija80: Greedy jimoh ibrahim.the same thing just happen to newswatch that he just became the chairman.this is the type of privatization Nigeria preaches, buy and kill.
The situation paffles me. Is not all about privatizing. They should set up laws that will regulate the private companies.
Re: Air Nigeria Suspends Operations And Sacks Workers by Nobody: 9:31am On Sep 05, 2012
After all the bragging this guy did. What a mess. Jimoh used to be my mentor but I'm seriously beginning to doubt his business model.
Re: Air Nigeria Suspends Operations And Sacks Workers by dameasy: 9:33am On Sep 05, 2012
Oh man; "another one bites the dust". Nigerian economy is sick.
Re: Air Nigeria Suspends Operations And Sacks Workers by Nobody: 9:34am On Sep 05, 2012
adora4u1: Better now than plane crash later!
abi o! You can imagine an angry pilot given a plane to convey passengers.wahala dey o!
Re: Air Nigeria Suspends Operations And Sacks Workers by mhm(m): 9:37am On Sep 05, 2012
Everything he touches changes to salt. And how can you be shouting publicly about your disloyal staff? Who made them disloyal?
Re: Air Nigeria Suspends Operations And Sacks Workers by rodeo0070(m): 9:37am On Sep 05, 2012
okpara ugo: Cost of running businesses in Naija is really on the high side. I dont blame his decision. Tough to keep afloat.
Richard Branson chairman/CEO of Virgin testified to that labelled Nigeria as the "worst atmosphere" for business transaction. But that's not the point...
I could be wrong
okpara ugo: Cost of running businesses in Naija is really on the high side. I dont blame his decision. Tough to keep afloat.
Richard Branson chairman/CEO of Virgin testified to that labelled Nigeria as the "worst atmosphere" for business transaction. But that's not the point...
I could be wrong
EXCUSES here and there.
I could be wrong.
Re: Air Nigeria Suspends Operations And Sacks Workers by OldDirtyBastard: 9:39am On Sep 05, 2012
Jimoh Ibrahim is your average clueless govt corruption manufactured billionaire.

He naturally could or should not have the money he currently controls and enjoy because he never worked for it.

He is even more clueless when it comes to investments and management.

You can thank Abacha for this chancre worm

1 Like

Re: Air Nigeria Suspends Operations And Sacks Workers by Deiok(m): 9:46am On Sep 05, 2012
mancheeutd:

Wats the meaning of all this you want to derail the topic or wat?
what do you mean by i want to derail the topic . If you dont understand what i mean you better keep quite.
Re: Air Nigeria Suspends Operations And Sacks Workers by Clerverly: 9:55am On Sep 05, 2012
You all are welcome to Nairaland Job Topics!! PDP i hail you.
Re: Air Nigeria Suspends Operations And Sacks Workers by DeGrace01(m): 10:04am On Sep 05, 2012
Too bad, but thank God for wtever may be the reason is better than to put the life of people at a very high risk, i wounder wy this Jimoh was appointed at the first wn the record has it that many firms and institutions has died due to his mismanagement.
Re: Air Nigeria Suspends Operations And Sacks Workers by Nobody: 10:05am On Sep 05, 2012
One substandard airline down, i just pity the sacked workers.
Re: Air Nigeria Suspends Operations And Sacks Workers by sentoms: 10:06am On Sep 05, 2012
Brand_new: Someone told me a company Jomoh Ibrahim buys always ends up this way. MAYBE HE SHOULD JUST STICK TO HIS FILLING STATIONS.
. How many can you count around you. I don't like his style of management. He loves debt too much. And there is always controversy in companies he acquires. See - Newswatch, Airnigeria, Nicon . He needs to go back to sch( business school)
Re: Air Nigeria Suspends Operations And Sacks Workers by kelahns: 10:08am On Sep 05, 2012
So what apns to the sacked staffs' entitlements and benefits?
Re: Air Nigeria Suspends Operations And Sacks Workers by Ejine(m): 10:09am On Sep 05, 2012
mhm: Everything he touches changes to salt. And how can you be shouting publicly about your disloyal staff? Who made them disloyal?

I believe the word you're looking for is "Clay".
Re: Air Nigeria Suspends Operations And Sacks Workers by tunnytox(m): 10:13am On Sep 05, 2012
Jimoh Ibrahim is a crook! 'Crooker' than farouk in a normal society this man will be cooling off in jail by now. Ole! Barawo banza
Re: Air Nigeria Suspends Operations And Sacks Workers by frankcimc(m): 10:13am On Sep 05, 2012
Mr.Jimoh Ibrahim should let us know what exactly is wrong with the airline, those excuse are quite trivial. Anyways if this decision was meant to prevent a future calamity then it is a welcome one.
Re: Air Nigeria Suspends Operations And Sacks Workers by Fogman(m): 10:23am On Sep 05, 2012
There is something to his business management that is wronng. All business associated with him never last, including his famous Energy filling stations which i think he has give out to private manager.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Echose Of Tyranny In Arik Air Limited / Dana Air Wins Best Customer Service Airline Of The Year Award / Scheduling Us Visa Appointment Date

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.