Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,912 members, 7,821,173 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:17 AM

Why Is Polygamy Not Allowed In Christendom? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Is Polygamy Not Allowed In Christendom? (3237 Views)

Ten (10) Shocking Hidden Truths In Christendom. / Patron Saints Of Christendom or Pagan Saints Of Rome / Please I Want To Know The Relevance Of Virgin Mary In Christendom (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is Polygamy Not Allowed In Christendom? by AbdHafeez1(m): 11:34pm On Sep 07, 2012
Christians generally don't marry more than a wife.In fact,I haven't seen a regular church goer who has wives.As a muslim,I've asked several christian friends of mine why this is so and so far none of them have been able to quote a biblical verse to justify their claim.I therefore bring this question to my fellow Nairalanders-Why is polygamy not allowed in christianity? Thank you.
Re: Why Is Polygamy Not Allowed In Christendom? by Saintparis1: 11:42pm On Sep 07, 2012
Polygamy is for lustful men.
Re: Why Is Polygamy Not Allowed In Christendom? by AbdHafeez1(m): 11:46pm On Sep 07, 2012
Saint paris: Polygamy is for lustful men.
why do you think so?
Re: Why Is Polygamy Not Allowed In Christendom? by PAGAN9JA(m): 11:51pm On Sep 07, 2012
Abd'Hafeez:

why do you think so?

it is for "weak" people who easily succumb to temptations and desires and have no control over it.
Re: Why Is Polygamy Not Allowed In Christendom? by Nobody: 11:53pm On Sep 07, 2012
In christainity, marriage involves a man and a woman coming together to become one. The holy book never instructed christains to marry beyond one wife. It never said, 'and for this reason a man wil leave his family...and join his 'wifes' . A people live their lifes based on the faith that defines them....
You may ask why . This is because no man can rise above been partial in the exhibition of love to multiple wifes. The idea is to help the husband rise above hate, along with maintaining the Edenic tradition. Above all, the bible instructed us to marry only one wife.
Re: Why Is Polygamy Not Allowed In Christendom? by AbdHafeez1(m): 11:56pm On Sep 07, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

it is for "weak" people who easily succumb to temptations and desires and have no control over it.
is that why its forbidden?
Re: Why Is Polygamy Not Allowed In Christendom? by PAGAN9JA(m): 11:57pm On Sep 07, 2012
Abd'Hafeez:

i dont know. you monotheists forbid everything. this was my personal view.

there is no forbidding in Pagan religions. only a sense of what is right and what is wrong. we dont care whether it is for good or for bad.

*forbiddng or not, that is the duty of the Kingship/ruler/chiefship/govt.
Re: Why Is Polygamy Not Allowed In Christendom? by Nobody: 12:03am On Sep 08, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

This is perfect. In other words, it discourages lust and serve as a test for self-control.
Re: Why Is Polygamy Not Allowed In Christendom? by AbdHafeez1(m): 12:08am On Sep 08, 2012
Reyginus: In christainity, marriage involves a man and a woman coming together to become one. The holy book never instructed christains to marry beyond one wife. It never said, 'and for this reason a man wil leave his family...and join his 'wifes' . A people live their lifes based on the faith that defines them....
You may ask why . This is because no man can rise above been partial in the exhibition of love to multiple wifes. The idea is to help the husband rise above hate, along with maintaining the Edenic tradition. Above all, the bible instructed us to marry only one wife.
Of course but neither did it say that no man should marry more than one wife.my point is that both is allowed.If you can only have a wife,thats good but if you want to have more than one,well,thats fine.that's how it is in the bible.
Re: Why Is Polygamy Not Allowed In Christendom? by PAGAN9JA(m): 12:10am On Sep 08, 2012
Abd'Hafeez:

Of course but neither did it say that no man should marry more than one wife.my point is that both is allowed.If you can only have a wife,thats good but if you want to have more than one,well,thats fine.

how about a woman having more than one husband what is your take on that? or are you telling me that your religion is gender-biased
Re: Why Is Polygamy Not Allowed In Christendom? by AbdHafeez1(m): 12:13am On Sep 08, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

i dont know. you monotheists forbid everything. this was my personal view.

there is no forbidding in Pagan religions. only a sense of what is right and what is wrong. we dont care whether it is for good or for bad.

*forbiddng or not, that is the duty of the Kingship/ruler/chiefship/govt.
Its not wrong either to be polygamous.I think its by choice,if a man feels he's capable of marrying more than one,why not?
Re: Why Is Polygamy Not Allowed In Christendom? by PAGAN9JA(m): 12:21am On Sep 08, 2012
Abd'Hafeez:

Its not wrong either to be polygamous.I think its by choice,if a man feels he's capable of marrying more than one,why not?

answer this:

PAGAN 9JA:

how about a woman having more than one husband what is your take on that? or are you telling me that your religion is gender-biased
Re: Why Is Polygamy Not Allowed In Christendom? by wiegraf: 12:24am On Sep 08, 2012
Why doesn't Islam allow women to have more than a husband? Why doesn't it allow men to have husbands, or women to have wives?
Re: Why Is Polygamy Not Allowed In Christendom? by PAGAN9JA(m): 12:25am On Sep 08, 2012
wiegraf: Why doesn't it allow men to have husbands, or women to have wives?

that is against the law of nature. those are rare abnormal cases. lets keep it to normal relationships.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Polygamy Not Allowed In Christendom? by AbdHafeez1(m): 12:30am On Sep 08, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

answer this:

Polyandry creates a lot of problem.
One of them is the Identity of the child,though that can be solved through DNA test,its still not the best option.
Also,a woman married to many husbands won't be able to attend to their various needs at the same time.there's bound to be a clash.
Re: Why Is Polygamy Not Allowed In Christendom? by AbdHafeez1(m): 12:33am On Sep 08, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

answer this:

One of them is the Identity of the child,though that can be solved through DNA test,its still not the best option.
Also,a woman married to many husbands won't be able to attend to their various needs at the same time.there's bound to be a clash.
Re: Why Is Polygamy Not Allowed In Christendom? by PAGAN9JA(m): 12:34am On Sep 08, 2012
Abd'Hafeez:

does it matter, as long as the child is well looked after by the mother?

same vice versa.it is the womans choice just as it is the mans choice.

anyways the point i am trying to make is that both, Polygamy and Polyandry create problems. in polygamy, there is lot of rivalry between women and jealousy and ill-treatment many-a-times.
Re: Why Is Polygamy Not Allowed In Christendom? by AbdHafeez1(m): 12:36am On Sep 08, 2012
There's Nothing like gender inequality,the male has his functions and the female has hers.
Re: Why Is Polygamy Not Allowed In Christendom? by AbdHafeez1(m): 12:38am On Sep 08, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

does it matter, as long as the child is well looked after by the mother?

same vice versa.it is the womans choice just as it is the mans choice.

anyways the point i am trying to make is that both, Polygamy and Polyandry create problems. in polygamy, there is lot of rivalry between women and jealousy and ill-treatment many-a-times.
Jealousy arises when there's inequality in treating them,and thats why Islam attached that condition before its allowed.
Re: Why Is Polygamy Not Allowed In Christendom? by wiegraf: 12:40am On Sep 08, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

that is against the law of nature. those are rare abnormal cases. lets keep it to normal relationships.

I'm confused, what laws of natures do you speak of? Or homosexuality is not observed in other species?
You ignore gay rights, you're being a hypocrite. Simple.

Edit: really, how in the world are you an expert on 'normal' relationships?
Re: Why Is Polygamy Not Allowed In Christendom? by PAGAN9JA(m): 12:43am On Sep 08, 2012
Abd'Hafeez:
There's Nothing like gender inequality,the male has his functions and the female has hers.

who are you to decide on these social functions and roles. do you know women go for work these days and dont just look after kids just saying. .
Re: Why Is Polygamy Not Allowed In Christendom? by PAGAN9JA(m): 12:45am On Sep 08, 2012
Abd'Hafeez:

Jealousy arises when there's inequality in treating them,and thats why Islam attached that condition before its allowed.

then why didnt they attach some kind of law for polyandry as well. such as (for example) a woman can marry another husband only when she has given birth to all the children she could through the first one.
Re: Why Is Polygamy Not Allowed In Christendom? by PAGAN9JA(m): 12:46am On Sep 08, 2012
wiegraf:

I'm confused, what laws of natures do you speak of? Or homosexuality is not observed in other species?
You ignore gay rights, you're being a hypocrite. Simple.

Edit: really, how in the world are you an expert on 'normal' relationships?

im really confused on gays. it doesnt occur much among other creatures if at all neither among my people. i have not reserved my judgement on this yet.
Re: Why Is Polygamy Not Allowed In Christendom? by wiegraf: 12:56am On Sep 08, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

im really confused on gays. it doesnt occur much among other creatures if at all neither among my people. i have not reserved my judgement on this yet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homosexual_behavior_in_animals

Even if it didn't occur much in nature, that's besides the point. What in the world gives you the right to tell other people how to live their lives when they aren't harming you in any way? Your opinion is completely irrelevant. I personally am sometimes uncomfortable with homosexuality, but what does that have to do with what they can and cannot do? So because I don't like it that means they can't do it? Would you appreciate it if I came in and burned all you idols and whatnot and persecuted you for your beliefs, which in now way harm me?
Re: Why Is Polygamy Not Allowed In Christendom? by PAGAN9JA(m): 1:02am On Sep 08, 2012
wiegraf:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homosexual_behavior_in_animals

Even if it didn't occur much in nature, that's besides the point. What in the world gives you the right to tell other people how to live[b] their lives when they aren't harming you in any way[/b]? Your opinion is completely irrelevant. I personally am sometimes uncomfortable with homosexuality, but what does that have to do with what they can and cannot do? So because I don't like it that means they can't do it? Would you appreciate it if I came in and burned all you idols and whatnot and persecuted you for your beliefs, which in now way harm me?

infact they are harming us. have you heard of how in U.S. prisons, homosexual men ra.pe other men in jail. i can understand that r.ape in any form is evil. but a man loses all his dignity and honour when someone sticks his thing into his backside. i want to be honest with you. ho.mosexuals scare me. expecially on account of personal experience of a narrow escape i had where a group of them once tried to lure me into coming with them in the UK subway. trust me , you should see the hunger in their eyes . it is disgustingly scary.

honestly i dont know what to say. i have to still research this strange phenomena. i am not saying that all gays are like tht. i am not so narrow. but i have not yet reserved my judgement on this.
Re: Why Is Polygamy Not Allowed In Christendom? by wirinet(m): 1:10am On Sep 08, 2012
Polygamy is not allowed in Christianity because Rome which set the principal doctrine of the religion does not condone polygamy. It allows for mistresses though. Meanwhile Judaism allows you to marry more than one wife as shown by Joseph, Abraham Solomon and David.
Re: Why Is Polygamy Not Allowed In Christendom? by Nobody: 1:11am On Sep 08, 2012
Abd'Hafeez:

Of course but neither did it say that no man should marry more than one wife.my point is that both is allowed.If you can only have a wife,thats good but if you want to have more than one,well,thats fine.that's how it is in the bible.
To start with, can you supply the verse?
Re: Why Is Polygamy Not Allowed In Christendom? by wiegraf: 1:14am On Sep 08, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

infact they are harming us. have you heard of how in U.S. prisons, homosexual men ra.pe other men in jail. i can understand that r.ape in any form is evil. but a man loses all his dignity and honour when someone sticks his thing into his backside. i want to be honest with you. ho.mosexuals scare me. expecially on account of personal experience of a narrow escape i had where a group of them once tried to lure me into coming with them in the UK subway. trust me , you should see the hunger in their eyes . it is disgustingly scary.

honestly i dont know what to say. i have to still research this strange phenomena. i am not saying that all gays are like tht. i am not so narrow. but i have not yet reserved my judgement on this.

Yes, pls notice how the very vast majority of rapists are heterosexual men. You also do realize that most of the rapists in prisons are hetero, yes? Your insinuation that being ra.ped is somehow worse for men than women is just....

Your opinion has didley squat to do with the issue, two or more consenting adults decide some but.t s.ex is their cup of tea, non of your business. You're uncomfortable? Nobodies forcing you to befriend them. You discriminate against them though and you're being a hypocrite and a bigot, unambiguously.
Re: Why Is Polygamy Not Allowed In Christendom? by PAGAN9JA(m): 1:27am On Sep 08, 2012
wiegraf:

Yes, pls notice how the very vast majority of rapists are heterosexual men. You also do realize that most of the rapists in prisons are hetero, yes? Your insinuation that being ra.ped is somehow worse for men than women is just....

Your opinion has didley squat to do with the issue, two or more consenting adults decide some but.t s.ex is their cup of tea, non of your business. You're uncomfortable? Nobodies forcing you to befriend them. You discriminate against them though and you're being a hypocrite and a bigot, unambiguously.

its really obvious isnt it most of the people in this world are hetero, almost ALL. so obvioulsy there will be more hetero r.apist compared to homo ones. but still if you compare with the population of each, then homo r.apists are definitely high. i was talking about non-consentious. it is still disgusting . It is anti-African culture.
Re: Why Is Polygamy Not Allowed In Christendom? by wiegraf: 1:32am On Sep 08, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

its really obvious isnt it most of the people in this world are hetero, almost ALL. so obvioulsy there will be more hetero r.apist compared to homo ones. but still if you compare with the population of each, then homo r.apists are definitely high. i was talking about non-consentious. it is still disgusting . It is anti-African culture.

Provide proof of the bolded, else you are making very serious accusations without any evidence. Stop spreading your bigotry, it's a lot more scary than your homophobia. Irrational hate, no good reason to support it other than you don't like it.

Enjoy this link. Make sure to read to the end. Note, it's anthropology
http://jessiegirl..com/2010_11_01_archive.html
Re: Why Is Polygamy Not Allowed In Christendom? by PAGAN9JA(m): 1:35am On Sep 08, 2012
wiegraf:

Provide proof of the bolded, else you are making very serious accusations without any evidence. Stop spreading your bigotry, it's a lot more scary than your homophobia. Irrational hate, no good reason to support it other than you don't like it.

Enjoy this link. Make sure to read to the end. Note, it's anthropology
http://jessiegirl..com/2010_11_01_archive.html

ok i will go through everything.
Re: Why Is Polygamy Not Allowed In Christendom? by Nobody: 1:41am On Sep 08, 2012
Abd'Hafeez:

its not forbidden, but discouraged in the christiandom

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Proof That Catholic Popes Are Not Chosen By God: Endorsement Of Gay Sex. / Rain Falls At Wuhan In China After TB Joshua’s Prophecy / untold story Of Controversial Pastor AJANAKU

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.