Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,479 members, 7,770,171 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 06:37 AM

Please I Want To Know The Relevance Of Virgin Mary In Christendom - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Please I Want To Know The Relevance Of Virgin Mary In Christendom (4234 Views)

"What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" / Virgin Mary Statue In St. Joseph Church In Iraq Crying, Tears Turned To Blood / Virgin Mary's Image Seen In Edo At St Benedicts Catholic Church In Ubiaja (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please I Want To Know The Relevance Of Virgin Mary In Christendom by consultmartins(m): 2:39am On Feb 03, 2010
Please i want to know the relevance of virgin mary in christendom. Anytime i hear the "hail mary shit" i feel sick. Please did Jesus Christ emphasize her importance to the christian body.

Re: Please I Want To Know The Relevance Of Virgin Mary In Christendom by Joagbaje(m): 5:49am On Feb 03, 2010
She was just a vessel that God used to bring forth the messsiah, Nothing more . She didnt believe in Jesus at first but later She had to believe in Jesus Christ as her saviour and be born again like any other person or else she would have ended up in hell and lake of fire after death. But She was wise, She eventually got born again, recieved the holyghost ,she prayed in tongues.

Acts 1:13-14
And when they were come in, they went up into an upper room, where abode both Peter, and James, and John, and Andrew, Philip, and Thomas, Bartholomew, and Matthew, James the son of Alphaeus, and Simon Zelotes, and Judas the brother of James. [14] These all continued with one accord in prayer and supplication, with the women, and Mary the mother of Jesus, and with his brethren.

besides that nothing more. Worshiping her or praying to her is idolatory. And those who admire her sould follow her step by being born again and recieving the holyghost.
Re: Please I Want To Know The Relevance Of Virgin Mary In Christendom by karo93: 4:10pm On Feb 03, 2010
THE IDEA IS GOTTEN FROM THE PAGAN CULTS
It is known that the egyptian goddess isis and greek goddess artemis were venerated in the same way and were refered to using the term 'star of the sea' which is sung in pilgrimage honoring mary.
In her portrait she is depicted as the madonna with a corona of stars on a crescent moon. this portrait is similar to the portrait of the egyptian goddess isis
it is said that the church adopted this practice of mother of God who is a more comforting figure so that people would not be left in the fear of a "punishing" God
Re: Please I Want To Know The Relevance Of Virgin Mary In Christendom by AbuZola3(m): 5:09pm On Feb 03, 2010
Hahaha, wonder shall never end, mother of god unholy ! Xtrianity nawa o
Re: Please I Want To Know The Relevance Of Virgin Mary In Christendom by Nobody: 6:23pm On Feb 03, 2010
Abu Zola:

Hahaha, wonder shall never end, mother of god unholy ! Xtrianity nawa o
In ur laughable quran,was mary not a virgin according to allah who sent d quran from heaven
Re: Please I Want To Know The Relevance Of Virgin Mary In Christendom by slavia(m): 8:18pm On Feb 05, 2010
O ye of little knowledge. it obviously would be a waste of precious time, trying to save you from eternal ignorance. I advise u read ur bible a little more, and stop this blasphemy.
Its just a matter of people fearing and rejecting what they dont understand.
Re: Please I Want To Know The Relevance Of Virgin Mary In Christendom by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 9:28pm On Feb 05, 2010
@poster incidentally we (I mean "Christians"wink value the messenger rather than the message. so every one who can be loosely associated with divinity or God or Jesus can rightly have relevance in the heavenly scheme of things. So there you have it, she was fortunate to be Chosen by God to bear his Son (soon to be savior of the known Universe) and she did have children after that, lucky for us the known civilized world was pre-occupied with Jesus. I dread what the world would be today with several saviors from Mother Mary. So it is, she sits on a throne by herself as the Queen of heaven and God as King (Joseph must be turning in his wooded grave) and of course Jesus as Prince of Peace in a world that he prophesied would at the turn of this century be catapulted into Chaos and damnation not unlike the scenarios of Hell and Hades of ancient lore.

She is very relevant for the a particularly sharp=sharp ethnic minority in Nigeria famed for their lack of scruples and constant need to by-pass the norm to 419 their way to success grin She can conveniently open the back doors for a fee if St.Peter does not let you through grin
Re: Please I Want To Know The Relevance Of Virgin Mary In Christendom by petres007(m): 9:50pm On Feb 05, 2010
Joagbaje:

She was just a vessel that God used to bring forth the messsiah, Nothing more . She didnt believe in Jesus at first but later She had to believe in Jesus Christ as her saviour and be born again like any other person or else she would have ended up in hell and lake of fire after death. But She was wise, She eventually got born again, recieved the holyghost ,she prayed in tongues.

Acts 1:13-14
And when they were come in, they went up into an upper room, where abode both Peter, and James, and John, and Andrew, Philip, and Thomas, Bartholomew, and Matthew, James the son of Alphaeus, and Simon Zelotes, and Judas the brother of James. [14] These all continued with one accord in prayer and supplication, with the women, and Mary the mother of Jesus, and with his brethren.

besides that nothing more. Worshiping her or praying to her is idolatory. And those who admire her sould follow her step by being born again and recieving the holyghost.

GBAM!!! Don't think I could've said it better myself. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Please I Want To Know The Relevance Of Virgin Mary In Christendom by petres007(m): 9:53pm On Feb 05, 2010
karo93:

THE IDEA IS GOTTEN FROM THE PAGAN CULTS
It is known that the egyptian goddess isis and greek goddess artemis were venerated in the same way and were refered to using the term 'star of the sea' which is sung in pilgrimage honoring mary.
In her portrait she is depicted as the madonna with a corona of stars on a crescent moon. this portrait is similar to the portrait of the egyptian goddess isis
it is said that the church adopted this practice of mother of God who is a more comforting figure so that people would not be left in the fear of a "punishing" God

Well said!
Re: Please I Want To Know The Relevance Of Virgin Mary In Christendom by AbuZola3(m): 10:18pm On Feb 05, 2010
So now mary is unholy ? What da gosh, unholy born a god, i love this
Re: Please I Want To Know The Relevance Of Virgin Mary In Christendom by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 1:39pm On Feb 06, 2010
Abu Zola:

So now mary is unholy ? What da gosh, unholy born a god, i love this

Where was it said that she is unholy, you have pretty tight skills to go into politics. Abuzola
Re: Please I Want To Know The Relevance Of Virgin Mary In Christendom by 49cents(m): 3:29pm On Feb 06, 2010
Mary’s relevance to Christaindom proceeds from the fact of that she was highly favoured by God by saving her from sin at the very moment of her conception because of the role she would play in the role she would play:
1. In the salvific mission of Jesus, from His conception at Bethlehem where she said her Yes to God at the expense of being stoned to death as an adulterer as they almost did to Mary Magdalene.
2. In the beginning of His public Ministry when she saved the couple from gross embarrassment who invited her over for their wedding at Cana; she applied her Faith in the Incarnate Word of God, to obtain the water-to-wine miracle, despite Jesus’ reluctance to perform it; and she has not stopped asking her Son, whom she beholds in heaven, the requests of those who invites her to their lives like the couple at cane did.
Note: Jesus did not refuse her request because the couple did not come to Him directly (this makes mince meat of the argument that criticizes the optional practice asking for Mary’s prayers, did not James tell us the prayer of the righteous availeth much? Huh!)

3. Finally at the foot of the Cross where she would stand sorrowfully but in submission of the Lamb of God who was but A high Priest and Sin offering to God for the remission of the guilt every man and woman under its destructive hold; for her solidarity Jesus would her give her as mother to His disciple (to nurture in the faith those who sought Him, like John did) and to the disciple as Mother (to reverence and to cherish the same way He did while He lived in the flesh on earth) when He said “Woman behold thy son, and to the disciple son behold thy mother”
I could write over 100 pages on this topic cos I once asked this question too but researched very objectively now I am a better believer of Jesus as the incarnate Word of God, you may wanna read this introductory piece….

True Mary, the mother of Jesus is a vessel, but what kinda vessel?
Consider the Person of Jesus, He is the eternal living and infinitely Holy God incarnate: True God and True Man. His Flesh and bones came solely from those of Mary since He was conceived without the agency of man as we all were; Now sin (beyond being an act of disobedience to God commands, an act of ingratitude and foolish pride to the generous and loving God who made man and women free and with love and to partake in His Trinitarian family) makes a soul impure before the all Holy God, it also corrupts not only the mind and heart and weakens the will, but even defiles the body, of course it is not debatable that sin is the reason why our body is subject to illness and will eventually fall lifeless in death to decay and become dust again.
Do you think that the God who prescribed the quality of the Ark of the Covenant to Moses, that is must be made of the best timber and of pure gold, because it would house the stone tablets wherein the ten commandments were written, also wafers of the manna and Aaron's priestly rod would be kept, would Himself reside and take up the flesh and blood of a woman even tainted by sin; The lamb must be without defect as I recall in the Old Testament, Jesus the Lamb of God, must necessarily be born of a pure and sinless human stock, else He would automatically be subject to sin like the rest of humanity!

Mary of course had free will like every one of us but she chose to use it in the service of God, as she responded Angel Gabriel ''behold the Handmaid of the Lord, be it done to me according to thy word" she was not forced or overpowered by God to conceive Him (Here God baffles me, asking for permission to use a body He himself has preserved from every taint of sin because He save fallen humanity from it and with it) she chose God to her life for she would stood the risk of being accused of adultery getting pregnant before living with Joseph by the gruesome stoning like they almost meted out to Mary Magdalene in the Gospels; Mary chose to do God’s bidding even on the face of loosing her husband and her life! She believed the words of God from the angel Gabriel that she would “conceive and bear a son whom she was to name Jesus” that was why later on visiting her elderly kinswoman Elizabeth (pregnant with John, who was the forerunner of Jesus) she (Elizabeth) under the unction of the Holy Spirit would cry out “Blessed are you who believed what was said of you would come to pass” ….Mary is a woman of Faith, unlike the childless Zachariah who doubted and was struck temporarily dumb by the angel who brought the message of John’s birth…(will the rest sometime later)

2 Likes

Re: Please I Want To Know The Relevance Of Virgin Mary In Christendom by AbuZola3(m): 3:44pm On Feb 06, 2010
So that means mary is not holy just a privilege for God to slip into her stomach. Kikhkhki
Re: Please I Want To Know The Relevance Of Virgin Mary In Christendom by consultmartins(m): 11:16am On Apr 19, 2010
Thanks brothers for your contributions, i love your firm stance on the Virgin Mary and idolatry. Jesus is the way, our advocate and mediator; not Mary. I wonder why some people still say 'Mary pray for us.' it think it is out of sheer religious blindness. They are just fanatics, not christians.
Re: Please I Want To Know The Relevance Of Virgin Mary In Christendom by Lady2(f): 12:09am On Apr 20, 2010
Anytime i hear the "hail mary poo" i feel sick

Well it's good to know that the Scriptures make you sick.

Luke 1:28 And the angel being come in, said unto her: Hail, full of grace, the Lord is with thee: blessed art thou among women
Luke 1:42 And she cried out with a loud voice, and said: Blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb

It amazes me that so called "christians" are ignorant of scripture they call their authority.
Re: Please I Want To Know The Relevance Of Virgin Mary In Christendom by debeginin(m): 5:11am On Apr 20, 2010
All these blasphemies!I am not surprise. The Bible says it all.Advice you all to study Revelation 12.
Re: Please I Want To Know The Relevance Of Virgin Mary In Christendom by PastorAIO: 8:30am On Apr 20, 2010
Hail, thou that art highly favoured, the Lord is with thee: blessed art thou among women.

The Magnificat:
46 And Mary said, My soul doth magnify the Lord,

47 And my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Saviour.

48 For he hath regarded the low estate of his handmaiden: for, behold, from henceforth all generations shall call me blessed.

A lot of these things are just quotations from the bible. Just like Jesus asking why God had forsaken him on the cross is just Jesus quoting from the Psalms. However you then choose to interpret it is the issue not the words in themselves. What does blessed amongst women mean? That you are the same as every other woman?

@Joagbaje, Mary must have been very stupid to have seen an angel before the birth of her son, seen all the signs that she saw, and still not understood the significance of his birth. Don't you think?
Re: Please I Want To Know The Relevance Of Virgin Mary In Christendom by eleweobi1: 9:45am On Apr 20, 2010
When will ppl stop seeing errors in what others do and mind their business.roman catholic is not the only church in the world.if u cant do as they do then do as u can.if Marry makes no meaning to u fine.if she makes meaning to u fine.

Romans 14:1-6
1-Him that is weak in the faith receive ye,but not to doubtful disputations.
2-For one believeth that he may eat all things;another who is weak eateth herbs.
3-let not him that eatheth despise him that eateth not;and let not him that eateth not judge him that eateth;for God has received him
4-who arth though that judgeth another man''s srvant?to his own master, he standeth or falleth.yea he shall be holden up;for God is able to make him stand
5-one man esteemeth one day above another, another esteemeth every day alike.let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.
6-He that regardeth the day regargeth it unto the lord and he that not the day, to the lord he doeth not regard it. He that eateth eateth to the lord, for he giveth God thanks;and that eateth not , to the lord he eateth not and giveth thanks to the lord.

,  and so on.
one thing i know for sure , and i stand to be corrected by God most supreme, is that no one has full knowledge of who God is.so why are we saying some ppl are worshiping/honoring mary while some are praising josef.what do u want muslim brothren to be saying.what do u say about those who make sacrifice?
How can u convince the idol worshippers that their gos is not living since when they call on their god, he answers them the way they understand, and u say that ur God is living yet u tell a lame man to walk yet nothing happens.i am not saying that God is not real, but wha i am saying is for us all to have respect for each other's belief.pls lets save this planet from religious strife.thanks
Re: Please I Want To Know The Relevance Of Virgin Mary In Christendom by TBits: 10:15am On Apr 20, 2010
@Joagbaje She was just a vessel that God used to bring forth the messsiah, Nothing more . She didnt believe in Jesus at first but later She had to believe in Jesus Christ as her saviour and be born again like any other person or else she would have ended up in hell and lake of fire after death. But She was wise, She eventually got born again, recieved the holyghost ,she prayed in tongues.

Excellent Post. But id like to add:
The catholic church has pioneered the relevance of Mary and gradually and deceitfully over the centuries elevated her to God like status.
1. The catholic church has tried to claim she never had sexual intercourse with Joseph even after Jesus was born while the bible clearly states that Jesus had brothers and sisters
2. The catholic church has tried to claim that she never sinned while the bible clearly states that all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God.
3. The catholic church tried to make her a God by saying that she never died (cause she never sinned) and was taken alive to heaven by the angels of God to be crowned the Queen of Heaven 'BLASPHEMY' . This is the doctrine of assumption and was only reveled to the almighty popes as late as 1950.
4. The catholic church as tried to make her a co-redeemer by stating that while Jesus bled and died on the cross, Mary 's heart bled for humanity. In Mexico, their are crucifix made with Mary on them.

In simple terms, the Babylonian instituted Pagan worship of the Sun god and Moon goddess (takes various names in different tribes) is what has simply been smuggled into catholicism since the conversion of the Roman State by Constantine.

Mary's relevance in the scheme of salvation is none existence. She is as relevant as every other believer that yields himself to God for the fulfillment of the will of God in his life and upon the earth through the power of God's spirit. The deception about the overstated relevance of Mary is perpetuated because the catholic faithfuls are wickedly denied a genuine relationship with Jesus Christ by church laws, beliefs and dogmas that are undeniably and  Blasphemously anti-God.
I challenge the catholic faithfuls and anyone that profess the deity of Mary to simply seek a genuine personal relationship with Jesus exclusive of church doctrine and dogma. you'd simply know the truth and you will accord the right respect to Mary as you would any other person and seek to fulfill your own godly portion in life as she as done hers.

1 Tim 2:5  For there is one God and one Mediator between God and men, the Man Christ Jesus
Heb 8:1-2 Now this is the main point of the things we are saying: We have such a High Priest , who is seated at the right hand of the throne of the Majesty in the heavens, 2 a Minister of the sanctuary and of the true tabernacle which the Lord erected, and not man.

Re: Please I Want To Know The Relevance Of Virgin Mary In Christendom by chakula: 1:42pm On Apr 20, 2010
which mary the biological mother to the jesus?
Re: Please I Want To Know The Relevance Of Virgin Mary In Christendom by Lady2(f): 12:46am On Apr 21, 2010
A lot of these things are just quotations from the bible. Just like Jesus asking why God had forsaken him on the cross is just Jesus quoting from the Psalms. However you then choose to interpret it is the issue not the words in themselves. What does blessed amongst women mean? That you are the same as every other woman?

So because it's just quotations means it's insignificant? Because you cannot explain why Jesus cried My God, My God why have u forsaken me? does not mean it is pure quotations. There's a reason he quotes that go back and read that psalm it is about Jesus.

My reason for quoting those passages?

I quoted it because you and others are hell bent against the Hail Mary prayer, not realising that it is actually sccripture and out of your ignorance are hell bent against scripture.

Anyway if you want to understand truly the importance of Mary then watch this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3opv0O2iDI
Re: Please I Want To Know The Relevance Of Virgin Mary In Christendom by jessefly: 11:21am On Apr 21, 2010
The worship of Mary is the reason we have catholics, she is held in reverence so much see it makes sense
create a generally accepted religion that does not seem so obviously deceitful, once people got to believe there are still christ-like the real aim of our mission shall be achieved, create another symbol that is not the true God, Mary was just a vessel, nothing more nothing less
haba do u hear people eulogise alexander the great's mother or mohammed's mother or obama's mother so believe its a well orchestrated scheme by catholics to decive 1 billion people
Re: Please I Want To Know The Relevance Of Virgin Mary In Christendom by debeginin(m): 1:39pm On Apr 21, 2010
Go and study your Bible very.That's all I can tell You PASTOR whatever.
Re: Please I Want To Know The Relevance Of Virgin Mary In Christendom by Lady2(f): 3:54am On Apr 22, 2010
jessefly:

The worship of Mary is the reason we have catholics, she is held in reverence so much see it makes sense
create a generally accepted religion that does not seem so obviously deceitful, once people got to believe there are still christ-like the real aim of our mission shall be achieved, create another symbol that is not the true God, Mary was just a vessel, nothing more nothing less
haba do u hear people eulogise alexander the great's mother or mohammed's mother or obama's mother so believe its a well orchestrated scheme by catholics to decive 1 billion people

I give u the challenge of actually proving that Catholics do worship Mary. Are you up to the task?
Re: Please I Want To Know The Relevance Of Virgin Mary In Christendom by onc4all(f): 4:12pm On Apr 22, 2010
Mother Mary is the mediatrix of all graces.
We make her known to the world.
She is the mother of Jesus and also shared in his sufferings.

What we catholics do is to give honour to whom honour is do.

Hail holy Queen.
Re: Please I Want To Know The Relevance Of Virgin Mary In Christendom by fashionkid(m): 4:31pm On Apr 22, 2010
To me Mother Mary was just a favored virgin that God used.She could BE d earthly mother of Jesus,btNOT D MOTHER OF GOD.
Re: Please I Want To Know The Relevance Of Virgin Mary In Christendom by Odunnu: 10:01am On Apr 23, 2010
Few days ago,(I didnt c ths thread until nw)my colleague and I had ds same arguement whn she wantd2 intimidate me wt her worshp time.
Guez wht I realisd then.
I found out dat if anybdy btw Joseph and Mary is to remembrd,its got 2b Joseph.
Mary was jst lucky (or favored if it makes u feel beta)2b espoused to Joseph who was of the lineage of David!Scripture kudnt hv been broken,Christ must be traced to David and then Judah.Mary without Joseph wasnt/isnt qualified.If Joseph was espoused to someone else,say, ODUNNU of NL,it wud hv jst bin Odunnu's luck.
And hey,being a virgin at d time we r talkin abt in Isreal wasnt a big deal,evry young gal MUST b one until married,else u must b treatd as d law says.
In my opinion,its nt abt Mary bt ALL abt Joseph.
Re: Please I Want To Know The Relevance Of Virgin Mary In Christendom by queenesthr(f): 10:43am On Apr 23, 2010
consultmartins:

Please i want to know the relevance of virgin mary in christendom. Anytime i hear the "hail mary poo" i feel sick. Please did Jesus Christ emphasize her importance to the christian body.

Please stop getting sick because the "hail mary poo" is not about to stop anytime soon - except you plan on being sick for life.

Mary is not relevant except you want her to be. Roman Catholics have chosen freely to make her relevant in their beliefs so she is relevant to them.

Its just like your mother - you can choose to make her relevant and go to her for advice and counsel, you can also choose to make her irrelevant and exclude her from your life. Either way, you will still live your life successfully.

Personally I do not worship her but I believe Jesus must have respected her, so I cannot disrespect her. Whether she has other children with Joseph or not is not an issue for me and does not affect MY relationship with God.

2 Likes

Re: Please I Want To Know The Relevance Of Virgin Mary In Christendom by Lady2(f): 12:40am On Apr 24, 2010

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To me Mother Mary was just a favored virgin that God used.She could BE d earthly mother of Jesus,btNOT D MOTHER OF GOD

Then which one is Jesus's heavenly mother?

Was Jesus on earth not God?

Did Jesus as God on earth not have a mother?

Didn't Elizabeth call Mary the Mother of Her Lord, remove the Her and you have the Mother of the Lord, or Mother of Lord, now what is that? Not Mother of God?

Why can't people just accept that if Jesus is God, and Mary is Jesus' mother, then Mary is the Mother of God. Mother's do not give birth to earthly empty flesh without souls. They give birth to persons, with body and soul. Christ came as a person, and when he was in the womb he was God, and when he came out he was still God and Mary still gave birth to God, hence the woman who gives birth to God, is God's Mother. I mean it's just common sense.
Re: Please I Want To Know The Relevance Of Virgin Mary In Christendom by karo93: 9:27am On Apr 24, 2010
Acts.4.27
and the people of Israel against Jesus YOUR HOLY SERVANT WHO YOU MADE MESSIAH.

see mary was the mother of the servant of the most high God and if that is your god then goodluck.

hail mary mother of the servant of the most high God.
Re: Please I Want To Know The Relevance Of Virgin Mary In Christendom by chakula: 10:05am On Apr 24, 2010
@karo, Freind of mine how you are doing?
Re: Please I Want To Know The Relevance Of Virgin Mary In Christendom by karo93: 11:13am On Apr 24, 2010
^^^^
i'm doing good my good friend.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

An Average Christ Embassy Member Pays 4 Months Of His/her Yearly Income To CE / Christians: Stop Eating Crabs, Crayfish & Prawns; It's Against The Bible / Return Of The Nimrod (Exposing False religious Leaders)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.