Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,827 members, 7,813,744 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 05:23 PM

Serena Lands 15th Grand Slam Crown . Collects $1.9million - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Serena Lands 15th Grand Slam Crown . Collects $1.9million (576 Views)

Congo Vs Nigeria: AFCON Qualifiers (0 - 2) ON 15th November 2014 / Serena Williams Wins 18th Grand Slam Title / Serena Williams Wins Her 15th Grand Slam At The 2012 US Open (2) (3) (4)

(1)

Serena Lands 15th Grand Slam Crown . Collects $1.9million by ritux: 1:14am On Sep 10, 2012
What a remarkable summer for her. Wimbledon, 2 Olympic Gold medals and now US Open grand slam

Serena Williams claimed her fourth US Open title and 15th grand slam crown as she beat Victoria Azarenka in a dramatic three-set final at Flushing Meadows on Sunday night.

The American appeared on course for a rapid victory as she stormed through a one-sided first set to move ahead.

But world number one Azarenka showed superb character and resilience to force her way back into the contest and, having levelled the match, looked the more likely winner for long spells in the decider.

Indeed, the Belarusian served for the match at 5-4 but lost her form and allowed Williams to break back and stay alive.

Having held serve, the American then broke her opponent again to seal a thrilling 6-2 2-6 7-5 triumph - her first in New York since 2008.

"I honestly can't believe I won," Williams said at the post-match ceremony. "I really was preparing my runners-up speech. She's playing so great. I'm really shocked and so happy to have gotten so far."

Azarenka was gracious in defeat, and said she would leave the tournament with no regrets.

"At the moment it's tough, but Serena deserved to win," the 23-year-old said. "She showed how true a champion she is. I'm just honoured standing with such a champion here.

"I definitely gave it all today and stepping out of this court today I will have no regrets."

For Williams it was also redemption of a kind after last year's final defeat by Sam Stosur, which was marred by an altercation between Williams and umpire Eva Asderaki over a hindrance call, for which she was later fined.

Williams is only the world number four but she was a clear favourite going into the match after a stellar summer that included her fifth Wimbledon title and two Olympic gold medals.

The 30-year-old, meanwhile, had beaten Azarenka in nine of their 10 previous meetings and had dropped only 19 games on her way to the final.

Re: Serena Lands 15th Grand Slam Crown . Collects $1.9million by semid4lyfe(m): 4:36am On Sep 10, 2012

(1)

New Pidgin English Site By Supersport / Recall Osaze Now, Owo-blow Tells Keshi / As Nigeria Battles The 20th Jinx Against White Jersey

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.