Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,753 members, 7,824,160 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:29 AM

REQUEST; How To Monitor Internet Usage, Android Users... - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / REQUEST; How To Monitor Internet Usage, Android Users... (2031 Views)

NTEL: Check Out The "Fair Usage Policy" / Internet Usage On Nigeria’s GSM Networks Increases To 81 Million / Android Users Strictly-How to use Mtn's Unlimited Bis on your Droid...!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

REQUEST; How To Monitor Internet Usage, Android Users... by temmym4(m): 4:38am On Sep 11, 2012
I inserted my main sim from my previous phone into Galaxy S2 3days ago and forgot to monitor how much it consumes data, Just woke up and it occured to me so i checked. What i got was not so pleasing at all
sad sad
Please what is the best way to track my data usage? I downloaded and installed ''3G Watchdog'' but it wasnt really what i wanted. I need an app that shows how each internet connected apps consumes data so i could sort out which one has been seriously sucking my data plan the most. Is there any app for this? Thanks much
Re: REQUEST; How To Monitor Internet Usage, Android Users... by 4llerbuntu(m): 8:03am On Sep 11, 2012
there are many of those. i just cannot remember any off the top of my head right now.

why not search the market. .

a good app i think u may try is LBE Privacy Guard actually i consider it an essential app.
with that you can configure the app to know precisely what application has what permissions, deny certain applications certain permissions.

eg. if you have a flashlight application, you may find out that the app actually activates your GPS, your Internet data, has access to your phone book! the question is why does a flashlight app want to have access to those things?

with LBE you can block it from having those permissions.

that also helps you to know which apps are using the internet, and you can deny them access to it.

im not exactly sure now, but i think it also has a data monitor inbuilt.

i personally dont use it anymore because i have no need for an app to do those things. i can do it granularly but i definitely recommend its use.
Re: REQUEST; How To Monitor Internet Usage, Android Users... by walcolm(m): 8:06am On Sep 11, 2012
just upgrade to ICS and you have a built in data monitor and you can even set a data cap and prevent programs from using data in the background
Re: REQUEST; How To Monitor Internet Usage, Android Users... by 4llerbuntu(m): 8:17am On Sep 11, 2012
anyway, take the following tips too.

ROOT YOUR PHONE no choice in this, you must to proceed

1. install adblock.

its on the market, it requires root.

2. disable autosync for your apps, leave only the essentials like google and email. go into account & sync in settings and untick them.

3. check your apps sync schedule. some sync every 5 minutes. i doubt if you need any app to sync every 5 minutes.

4. dont disable autosync completely unless you dont use the email app. it requires sync for push notifications.

5. learn to not fall into the trap of installing every app you see. there is no need for seperate apps for gtalk, facebook chat, yahoochat when just one app can do all of those! also for browsing, consider using operamini or UCBrowser, except you need javascript or flash, then you use the other full browser

6. you may also try an APP called DROIDWALL!.
its like a firewall application that you can use to deny applications, even system applications acess to the internet.

you may use this instead of LBE privacy guard. but dont use both at the same time!!!!

for droid wall it has two modes, you either select applications that have access (whitelist) or select those that do not have access(blacklist) you can stop system aps too, but be careful which ones u block.

7. Debloat your phone. a lot of the stock OEM apps on your phone are useless, you dont use them, they use your data and they slow your phone down.

install an app called TITANIUM BACKUP. you can use that to either FREEZE any app including system apps. that way they dont show up in you app drawer or become active. (they are still on the phone and may be unfrozen
OR totally uinstall any application whatsoever, including those system apps that dont show up for removal in app manager. be careful not to remove any essentail app tho.

with the above, im very sure your data useage will reduce

NEVER EVER USE A TASK KILLER OR BATTERY DEFENDER BLA BLA BLA. IT WILL KILL YOUR BATTERY AND REALLY STRESS YOUR PHONE
Re: REQUEST; How To Monitor Internet Usage, Android Users... by temmym4(m): 12:59am On Sep 12, 2012
Thanks guys, am so grateful

@4LLERBUNTU. ll do as u exactly as you explained bro. u 3 much.

@WALCOM. I was thinking of upgrading to ICS but i read about some bugs concerning it, was having a fear of screwing something up as i still feel good with Gingerbread, moreover, i won't really wanna do something that might make my device stuck in boot screen.

....1 question. Can i downgrade back to an older version if eventually i upgraded to ICS but preferred Gingerbread?
Re: REQUEST; How To Monitor Internet Usage, Android Users... by 4llerbuntu(m): 6:50am On Sep 12, 2012
yes.

get the necessary files and tools before hand, namely the stock roms for ur fone, both gingerbread and ics. the radios too if they are not included in the stock rom.

even where u flash custom roms and shit happens, u can easily get back to stock with ur usb cable.
Re: REQUEST; How To Monitor Internet Usage, Android Users... by martinkem(m): 2:42pm On Sep 12, 2012
You should try my data manager it does a great job of showing how much data each app uses. Sorting it by hour, day, month and plan.
Re: REQUEST; How To Monitor Internet Usage, Android Users... by walcolm(m): 2:58pm On Sep 12, 2012
temmy.m3:
Thanks guys, am so grateful

@4LLERBUNTU. ll do as u exactly as you explained bro. u 3 much.

@WALCOM. I was thinking of upgrading to ICS but i read about some bugs concerning it, was having a fear of screwing something up as i still feel good with Gingerbread, moreover, i won't really wanna do something that might make my device stuck in boot screen.

....1 question. Can i downgrade back to an older version if eventually i upgraded to ICS but preferred Gingerbread?

believe me there are no bugs on ICS. its your safer option....you actually stand a higher chance of bricking your droid going with the long thing 4ller has given you than you stand upgrading to ICS
Re: REQUEST; How To Monitor Internet Usage, Android Users... by 4llerbuntu(m): 6:12pm On Sep 12, 2012
bricking? how by installing apps? cheesy

(1) (Reply)

Compare New Tecno Boom J7 With Tecno L7 / Reasons You Should Buy Xiaomi Mi 4 Instead Of Tecno Phantom 5 / Airtel Newly Introduce 1GB Weekend Data Plan For Just #100 Only

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.