Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,667 members, 7,816,743 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:10 PM

iPhone 5 A Disappointment Compared To Samsung Galaxy S3? - Phones (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / iPhone 5 A Disappointment Compared To Samsung Galaxy S3? (22168 Views)

Leagoo Lead 5, A Quad-core Android 4.4 Smartphone / Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans / Is The Iphone 5 A Cheap Plastic? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: iPhone 5 A Disappointment Compared To Samsung Galaxy S3? by logica(m): 8:20pm On Sep 13, 2012
Android is a Linux-based operating system for mobile devices
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_(operating_system)

iOS is derived from OS X, with which it shares the Darwin foundation, and is therefore a Unix operating system.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOS

So as you can see they both basically have the same kernel and this should be pretty obvious even to a layman given the similarity of the functions they derive from the (to all intents and purposes) the same kernel..tomato...tomata as someone likes to say. If any comparison can make sense, it can only be in the area of the specs. Saying one O/S is "better" than the other sounds silly.
Re: iPhone 5 A Disappointment Compared To Samsung Galaxy S3? by xavier3g(m): 8:27pm On Sep 13, 2012
Hugoboi:

Plese don't say what u don't know. The iPhone 5 comes with a retina display and 28MP camera
Chei shocked shocked shocked you can lie o cry cry cry
Re: iPhone 5 A Disappointment Compared To Samsung Galaxy S3? by LordReed(m): 8:48pm On Sep 13, 2012
coogar:

because people often get tired of the same product making the waves year in year out.....generally, people beef continuous success. if one fails all the time, they complain...if one succeeds all the time, they still complain. 12 months is a very short period to come up with another great innovation. there's no significant difrerence between the s2 and the s3 but people expect a massive difference between the 4s and 5......it's pure fuckery!

For a company that markets itself as the epitome of innovation Apple did nothing to support that image with the iphone5. Android was and is a platform open to diversity and modification so smaller upgrades are in abundance and expected. Apple on the other hand releases ONE phone a year and works with ONE os, why shouldn't we expect more? Samsung uses 3 different OSes, same with Nokia what excuse does Apple have?

Granted they have upgraded the iphone and made it a power house but instead of being hot it is merely warm and believe me the game is changing enough that this mere warmth is going to cost them.
Re: iPhone 5 A Disappointment Compared To Samsung Galaxy S3? by coogar: 9:10pm On Sep 13, 2012
KingAyo300: Coogar's post is probably the most reasonable, I work with one of the operators in the UK (O2-Uk) as a privalige I get to test loads of phones before they are released grin grin grin, I got to test the S3 and thought it was brilliant but it crashed a few times, (europe did not get the 1.5GHZ version)I also Tested the HTC One X and to be honest I feel it's better than the S3. Didn't get to test the Lumia 920 but tested the 800 althought the phone was really good the app store was the downfall, which I also believe will be the downfall of the 920.

Although I have a 4s I will be getting a 5 (because as staff I get a really good deal grin grin grin) I think both phones are on par but people should stop trashing apple because they didn't bring anything revolutionary, the fact is either did Samsung grin grin grin

you understand how the game works - kudos to you!!!

Mannylex:
iphone fanboy u are, u re a much more compound fool. A pig would always argue that a refuse bin is the best place to be!

you're a consummate retard...i get peeved when mgbekes like yourself try to feel among. have you ever palmed an apple device or a samsung device before? instead of you to address the points raised, you continue to put up the agbero attitude to convince your army of lunatics that you know about mobile devices!

Lord_Reed:
For a company that markets itself as the epitome of innovation Apple did nothing to support that image with the iphone5. Android was and is a platform open to diversity and modification so smaller upgrades are in abundance and expected. Apple on the other hand releases ONE phone a year and works with ONE os, why shouldn't we expect more? Samsung uses 3 different OSes, same with Nokia what excuse does Apple have?

they cannot be coming up with innovation every year! look around you, how many electronic giants come up with ground breaking ideas every 12 months! the iphone 5 is an upgrade of the 4s and the consumers who had 4 but no 4s would appreciate the 5! samsung are only close because of their copycat moves and they would pay through their noses for that!!!

Granted they have upgraded the iphone and made it a power house but instead of being hot it is merely warm and believe me the game is changing enough that this mere warmth is going to cost them.

this is a company that dabbled into the mobile technology only 5 yrs ago - they entered it blindfolded and they are tearing other phone giants a new one. if you take the expert's prediction of sales on board, the number of units apple are going to ship would make a mockery of the samsung galaxy.....

2 Likes

Re: iPhone 5 A Disappointment Compared To Samsung Galaxy S3? by luluosas(m): 9:14pm On Sep 13, 2012
KingAyo300: I am a very happy iPhone user! maybe a bit of a fanboy I have used 3 previous iPhones I am currently using a 4s (have never had a single problem with it!) was wondering why people felt the iPhone 5 was a disappointment? comparing the Galaxy S2 to the S3 the upgrades were more of a disappointment and the S3 is basically the same as the iPhone 5, the S3 didn't bring any breakthrough technology neither so why all the negativity towards apple?[img][/img]
You are truly an Apple fanboy. How can you say that Samsung S3 is the as Iphone 5? In your world, old men resembles young men. Na wa for you.
Re: iPhone 5 A Disappointment Compared To Samsung Galaxy S3? by Fruittyswaqboii(m): 9:37pm On Sep 13, 2012
when you use an iPhone, you may appreciate other phones and feel they're better and that's why we have all the criticism. When you know how to use an iPhone, no other phone makes sense to you. iKeep a blackberry because of my business and it had to be a torch because iGot so used to the long screen on the iPhone. Can never go back to an android device. Feels like upgraded java! iPhone, iOS forever
Re: iPhone 5 A Disappointment Compared To Samsung Galaxy S3? by Idealjosh: 9:55pm On Sep 13, 2012
ruthkufe: iphone 5 is in a class of its own. no competition
That was four years ago. Now apple is playing catch up and u guys hail them.
Same 8mp camera - Nokia has pure view 41mp.
Same look for 6 years - they add a new row. Smh
No NFC - tap to transfer. Samsung has it and call it S beam
No Memory card - 100$ for 16gb more. I could buy 1 Terabyte hard disk with 100$
iPhone 4s was an upgrade on iPhone 4 and everything is still the same about the iPhone 5 one year after
The only visible difference is aluminum back and made the phone taller. And they are supposed to be innovative.
If only iPhone 5 could wave to change a song like Samsung s3.
iTunes is still a must and u still cannot synchronize with two computers.
not to talk of Bluetooth that only connects to headset and another iPhone.
New lightening connector means new accessories like speakers etc
Yes the iPhone is thinner. Buy a protective case and it's exactly like other phones.

I am not a fan boy. I live my life based on facts and the iPhone 5 doesn't blow my mind. S3 is a better phone and it has been available since April. Apple is definitely going to loose fans

3 Likes

Re: iPhone 5 A Disappointment Compared To Samsung Galaxy S3? by LordReed(m): 9:58pm On Sep 13, 2012
coogar:

they cannot be coming up with innovation every year! look around you, how many electronic giants come up with ground breaking ideas every 12 months! the iphone 5 is an upgrade of the 4s and the consumers who had 4 but no 4s would appreciate the 5! samsung are only close because of their copycat moves and they would pay through their noses for that!!!

So what do they spend one year doing?

Please don't even use that copycat defense. Android is sufficiently different from iOS in operation for anyone to distinguish between the two. Fact is Samsung has done a decent job with their implementation of Android such that they are now the "point man" for the Android alliance.

this is a company that dabbled into the mobile technology only 5 yrs ago - they entered it blindfolded and they are tearing other phone giants a new one. if you take the expert's prediction of sales on board, the number of units apple are going to ship would make a mockery of the samsung galaxy.....

Well maybe but I have a nagging feeling Apple maybe hit by the feed back of disappointment which will undermine their sales forecast. Anyway you opinion only seems to solidify the notion that Apple is the one playing catch up now.
Re: iPhone 5 A Disappointment Compared To Samsung Galaxy S3? by Nobody: 10:10pm On Sep 13, 2012
jennykadry: I use an iphone4s and have always been an iPhone fan. I have not used a samsung phone, so I can't really compare them both. I love my iPhone and have never regretted using one

Nice doing business with yo... grin grin
Re: iPhone 5 A Disappointment Compared To Samsung Galaxy S3? by coogar: 10:15pm On Sep 13, 2012
Lord_Reed:
So what do they spend one year doing?

what have the others done in the past year? jeeeeez!

Please don't even use that copycat defense. Android is sufficiently different from iOS in operation for anyone to distinguish between the two. Fact is Samsung has done a decent job with their implementation of Android such that they are now the "point man" for the Android alliance.

apple still whups samsung's behind. yes, the leap isn't massive but their share prices rose after the launch of the iPhone 5 - a direct contrast of what happened 12 months ago when 4s launched. apple have no competition and the sales shall justify who is ruling the market. 10 million units predicted to be shipped in the first week - fasten your seat belts !

Well maybe but I have a nagging feeling Apple maybe hit by the feed back of disappointment which will undermine their sales forecast. Anyway you opinion only seems to solidify the notion that Apple is the one playing catch up now.

disappointment? people who owned iPhone 4 never experienced siri - they would be all over this one like a rash! what apple have over their adversaries is the efficient ecosystem they have built. from the iMac to the iPad to the iPhone - the transition is seamless....no other electronic giant has been able to develop a technological environment of such magnitude - so apple always win! always!!
Re: iPhone 5 A Disappointment Compared To Samsung Galaxy S3? by texazzpete(m): 10:49pm On Sep 13, 2012
Funny fanboys...most likely the iPhone 5 is more powerful than the Galaxy S III grin
Re: iPhone 5 A Disappointment Compared To Samsung Galaxy S3? by Omogbhollahorn(m): 11:22pm On Sep 13, 2012
BlackBaron: Bit disappointing for most.

Wasn't expecting a lot. Waiting for the next.
u mean say iphone 50 go require truck

1 Like

Re: iPhone 5 A Disappointment Compared To Samsung Galaxy S3? by LordReed(m): 12:01am On Sep 14, 2012
coogar:

what have the others done in the past year? jeeeeez!

Did you actually post this? One company has a whole year to work on ONE phone and all they can come back with is "we used diamond to polish the casing"
. That my friend is not innovation and Apple have no cover. Look at Jony Ive saying "oh you guys use it so much we didn't want to change how it looks", what a weak excuse!

apple still whups samsung's behind. yes, the leap isn't massive but their share prices rose after the launch of the iPhone 5 - a direct contrast of what happened 12 months ago when 4s launched. apple have no competition and the sales shall justify who is ruling the market. 10 million units predicted to be shipped in the first week - fasten your seat belts !

You got to love some cheerleading squads...ℓ☺ℓ.

disappointment? people who owned iPhone 4 never experienced siri - they would be all over this one like a rash! what apple have over their adversaries is the efficient ecosystem they have built. from the iMac to the iPad to the iPhone - the transition is seamless....no other electronic giant has been able to develop a technological environment of such magnitude - so apple always win! always!!

Please give us some credit ok. The iphone4 is going to get Siri with the iOS6 so what is so compelling about that?

Fact is you keep buttressing my point. Android is fragmented, it was supposed to (for good or ill). Apple have only ONE phone to work on, only ONE. Are they just hoping new hardware will keep them at the fore front of innovation? As someone remarked the 4s' wow factor was Siri (bought from Nuance) this time around none. What will happen next year? Another big zero? And you think Apple will remain as profitable a business as it is now?

Anyway glad we live in interesting times.

2 Likes

Re: iPhone 5 A Disappointment Compared To Samsung Galaxy S3? by infolekan(m): 12:07am On Sep 14, 2012
coogar:

why friday? why not now?
you want to compare the siri on ios-6 to google's voice search on jellybean? siri is now integrated with facebook, twitter, etc(you can update your status on those social media now with your voice)....google voice cannot do that! apps can now be opened with your voice on apple, google cannot muster that yet!

then notifications....apple can push notification to the lock screen....
itunes vs google play is no brainer.....apple has a store in almost every country in the world

then you look at the transition of the operating system from one upgrade to the other....apple users can get this easily but the jellybean fans are @ the mercy of their network providers. abeg, apple trumps jelly-bean, its not even funny!

Nicely said.....I really do hope apple would go down but I can't deny the fact that they'll probably outsell all their competitions with this new iphone 5.
With all ur hype about Siri....you should know that it works presently in less than 16 countries(no gainsaying that Nigeria isn't one of them)
The new apple map is yet to even cover uK & the voice navigation becomes an ill child once you step out of London.
And you should know that itunes just became available in Nigeria THIS year and contents accesible aren't all that.
Samsung S3 uses a propietary S Voice & NOT Google assistant as you erroneously thought....& it works here(I'm assunimg you're in Nigeria,though I could be. Very wrong). Also assuming you have one of them or you're even PLANNING on buying one
But then.....they don't make their sales in Nigeria or Africa at that.
Re: iPhone 5 A Disappointment Compared To Samsung Galaxy S3? by na2day(m): 1:10am On Sep 14, 2012
Apple Customers are the saddest group of people you will come across. This video just proves how they are fukking brain dead fad following fanboys.

[flash=600,450]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdIWKytq_q4?fs=1&hl=en[/flash]
Re: iPhone 5 A Disappointment Compared To Samsung Galaxy S3? by bukahands(m): 3:28am On Sep 14, 2012
Ok donno where to start from but lemme start somewhere

Android OS is the biggest OS for smartphones right now in the world go and research for those who wanna argue, samsung S2 beat iphone 4 and iphone 4S in general reviews, u cud go to google or visit youtube and type galxys2 vs iphone 4s and iphone 4, the weak point of samsung phones is the material PLASTIC while the iphone is made with glossy durable materials but hey that's why samsung phones are cheaper eg galaxy s2 is like 75K now iphone 4S around 120k imagine. And mind you andriod is an open software while ios is restrictive. Now let's talk about the biggest phone in the globe right now the phone that has sold 20 million copies in 90 days samsung galaxy s3 aka THE BEAST, did I hear someone on nairaland say samsung didn't make any new innovation well baby U R WRONG lemme break ot down

The seriously good innovations include a pop-up
video player that lets you keep watch ing while
answering an email or looking up a website. There's
no need to stop the video. They simply reduce the
video to a pop-up and you continue watching it
anywhere on your screen while emailing or browsing (never been done b4).
Motions and gestures also are useful and can be
switched on and off in the Android "set-up". Turn the
phone over and it will go into silent mode, users can
zoom into a photo by placing two fingers on the
screen and tilting it, and the phone will vibrate when
picked up if there are messages and calls after it was
last used.
Users also can pause a video or mute the FM radio by
placing their palm over the screen. Sweep a contact
leftward to message them, or rightwards to call them.
Functions on the lock screen can be activated by
flicking their icons upward. This includes the camera.
Sweeping a hand leftward or rightward across the
screen grabs a screenshot.
While motions and gestures are seriously useful,
items offering voice and visual recognition are a little
unreliable. Samsung's S-Voice does a good job with
basic voice recognition functions such as setting
appointments, revealing the weather or searching
contacts, but is even flakier than Apple's Siri.
Samsung lists predefined commands that S Voice
understands, but, like Siri, she often misunderstands
or fails to understand, and then she tells you so in her
soft, dulcet tones.
The same applies to the phone's smart stay face
recognition sensor, a feature where the screen stays
on as long as the front-facing camera detects you
looking at it. It means you can set the screen timeout
to say, 30 seconds, but it won't go blank while in the
middle of reading.

Even in terms of specs s3 is even leading but the iphone is a more durably and classy phone but personal after my s3 wud pick lumia 920 (if they update their app world( b4 iphone 5. For specs comparison visit gsmarena.com

Give it up for samsung electronics the WORLDS LARGEST IT COMPANY

2 Likes

Re: iPhone 5 A Disappointment Compared To Samsung Galaxy S3? by LordReed(m): 7:15am On Sep 14, 2012
na2day!:
Apple Customers are the saddest group of people you will come across. This video just proves how they are fukking brain dead fad following fanboys.

[flash=600,450]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdIWKytq_q4?fs=1&hl=en[/flash]

Freaking Hilarious men!!! ℓ☺ℓ

OMG and they couldn't even tell the difference!
Re: iPhone 5 A Disappointment Compared To Samsung Galaxy S3? by 4llerbuntu(m): 8:16am On Sep 14, 2012
coogar:

why friday? why not now?
you want to compare the siri on ios-6 to google's voice search on jellybean? siri is now integrated with facebook, twitter, etc(you can update your status on those social media now with your voice)....google voice cannot do that! apps can now be opened with your voice on apple, google cannot muster that yet!

jellybean has a certain invention called GOOGLE NOW that has been evaluated to be much better than SIRI.
google it

There are also various Voice command apps on android since gingerbread that can start apps. thats been available on android a full 2 years before siri acquired this "feature"

there is also another popular voice control app on samsung phones called S-Voice

please try to update yourself appropriately.

coogar:
then notifications....apple can push notification to the lock screen....

seriously? grin grin

native lockscreen notifications were implemented in Ice Cream Sandwich
Basically it only requires that you press the Power On button and then touch the Notifications icon. This will allow you to scroll down through your latest notifications.

before that there were apps that get you that functionality, even handcent sms could do that. CyanogenMod has had that since CM7

coogar:
itunes vs google play is no brainer.....apple has a store in almost every country in the world

google play has no restrictions on availability worldwide. you need a google account (free) and an acceptable credit card.
Google has never refused to accept money for purchases based on your location.

i believe Apple just accepted Nigeria sometime last year??

seriously, if you were directed to sell an iphone to an android user, are this the points you will canvass?

i find it weird that the pple actually swallow this type of marketing BS.

reminds me of this one by Tim Cook at 1phone 5 unveiling:

"There's great enhancements to the phone app, including the ability to automatically send an SMS back when you can't take a call"

as in seriously? this is a "feature" on a phone in 2012

you can do better, come up with other reasons why IOS 6 is better than JellyBean

I also recommend you actually use a device with jellybean on it for about 5 minutes before coming up with your points

2 Likes

Re: iPhone 5 A Disappointment Compared To Samsung Galaxy S3? by sweetgala(m): 8:28am On Sep 14, 2012
It's takes using a good android smartphone to appreciate the genius of it. The Samsung galaxy is class, people mention siri like my old HTC desire HD hasn't been doing that function for over 2 years? The greatest problem with the apple philosophy is the "you can have it in any colour long as its black" Ford philosophy. The iPhone is not made for everybody and the only persons who would have need of the siri function Would be someone with limited use of the hands or disabled?
I'm yet to see any immediate use of Siri.
Re: iPhone 5 A Disappointment Compared To Samsung Galaxy S3? by fulanigirl(f): 8:29am On Sep 14, 2012
I have the Samsung galaxy s3 while my brother has the s2 and you can definitely see a difference in new features!!! But if you have s2, all you have to do is go on the Samsung website and upgrade, you would get most of the new features. Both my parents go for iphones and it's always a disappointment!!! I mean there are lawsuits against apple for portraying things to be more than they actually are with siri!!
Re: iPhone 5 A Disappointment Compared To Samsung Galaxy S3? by coogar: 9:35am On Sep 14, 2012
4llerbuntu:
Jellybean has a certain invention called GOOGLE NOW that has been evaluated to be much better than SIRI.
google it

i am not even sure you understand what you are talking about. jellybean for instance isn't even on s3 galaxy yet. as of today only 2% of android users have jellybean on their devices. as of today, more than 80% of apple users have ios 5 on their devices.....that was why i said android users are far behind! 98% of them don't even have the latest os(that was released months ago)on their devices!!

no voice commands can compare to siri - people are just talking rubbish! yes, siri is not perfect but what it does better than other voice commands is it understands the language, not just a mere voice recognition that google works on. google now does not reschedule appointments like siri. you need jellybean 4.1 to power it - only 1% of android users worldwide have upgraded! 80% of the active android users are still stuck on android 2.xxxx that birthed since 2010......upgrading on android is shyte! apple have that advantage over any other phone giant!

There are also various Voice command apps on android since gingerbread that can start apps. thats been available on android a full 2 years before siri acquired this "feature"
there is also another popular voice control app on samsung phones called S-Voice
please try to update yourself appropriately

you embarrass yourself in public when you utter comments like the above on a public forum! voice recognition apps has been on itunes before siri but they are limited to specific verbs, nouns, etc. what siri does better than others is executing the process after performing the simple task of voice recognition!

native lockscreen notifications were implemented in Ice Cream Sandwich
Basically it only requires that you press the Power On button and then touch the Notifications icon. This will allow you to scroll down through your latest notifications.
before that there were apps that get you that functionality, even handcent sms could do that. CyanogenMod has had that since CM7

pressing power on button is a waste of time! with apple, no need for that!

google play has no restrictions on availability worldwide. you need a google account (free) and an acceptable credit card. Google has never refused to accept money for purchases based on your location.i believe Apple just accepted Nigeria sometime last year??

so this is an advantage? the fact that nigeria just got accepted is a plus to google? lol! don't make me laugh! how many users of apple are in nigeria to start with?

seriously, if you were directed to sell an iphone to an android user, are this the points you will canvass?i find it weird that the pple actually swallow this type of marketing BS.
reminds me of this one by Tim Cook at 1phone 5 unveiling:
"There's great enhancements to the phone app, including the ability to automatically send an SMS back when you can't take a call". as in seriously? this is a "feature" on a phone in 2012

i don't need to convince an android user to buy an apple phone! apple epitomises class, style, panache, speed and power! yes - its more expensive but that's because it's not a plastic phone like samsung!!!

you can do better, come up with other reasons why IOS 6 is better than JellyBean
I also recommend you actually use a device with jellybean on it for about 5 minutes before coming up with your points

shut up about jellybean already.....it's not even on samsung galaxy s3 yet! you have not used it...you have only read about it, jellybean 4.1 launched since the 9th of july, isnt it?
galaxy came out months ago and it's still waiting to get the jellybean! apple users would get the feel of their new os the moment iPhone 5 launches! that's the difference.....i repeat - 80% of android users are still using android 2.0 that was released almost 2 yrs ago! getting an upgrade on android is slower than the earth's revolution - you are @ the mercy of your phone providers.....with apple, you get it wirelessly the moment the patch is available!

apple always wins - always!!
Re: iPhone 5 A Disappointment Compared To Samsung Galaxy S3? by BlackBaron: 9:43am On Sep 14, 2012
Not gonna lie, same way the SG3 failed to impress at first and later growing on people.

It's the same way the new iphone would. I wager it would still manage to thump even the 'superior' Galaxy 3 when it eventually goes on sale.
Re: iPhone 5 A Disappointment Compared To Samsung Galaxy S3? by KingAyo300: 10:04am On Sep 14, 2012
bukahands: Ok donno where to start from but lemme start somewhere

Android OS is the biggest OS for smartphones right now in the world go and research for those who wanna argue, samsung S2 beat iphone 4 and iphone 4S in general reviews, u cud go to google or visit youtube and type galxys2 vs iphone 4s and iphone 4, the weak point of samsung phones is the material PLASTIC while the iphone is made with glossy durable materials but hey that's why samsung phones are cheaper eg galaxy s2 is like 75K now iphone 4S around 120k imagine. And mind you andriod is an open software while ios is restrictive. Now let's talk about the biggest phone in the globe right now the phone that has sold 20 million copies in 90 days samsung galaxy s3 aka THE BEAST, did I hear someone on nairaland say samsung didn't make any new innovation well baby U R WRONG lemme break ot down

The seriously good innovations include a pop-up
video player that lets you keep watch ing while
answering an email or looking up a website. There's
no need to stop the video. They simply reduce the
video to a pop-up and you continue watching it
anywhere on your screen while emailing or browsing (never been done b4).
Motions and gestures also are useful and can be
switched on and off in the Android "set-up". Turn the
phone over and it will go into silent mode, users can
zoom into a photo by placing two fingers on the
screen and tilting it, and the phone will vibrate when
picked up if there are messages and calls after it was
last used.
Users also can pause a video or mute the FM radio by
placing their palm over the screen. Sweep a contact
leftward to message them, or rightwards to call them.
Functions on the lock screen can be activated by
flicking their icons upward. This includes the camera.
Sweeping a hand leftward or rightward across the
screen grabs a screenshot.
While motions and gestures are seriously useful,
items offering voice and visual recognition are a little
unreliable. Samsung's S-Voice does a good job with
basic voice recognition functions such as setting
appointments, revealing the weather or searching
contacts, but is even flakier than Apple's Siri.
Samsung lists predefined commands that S Voice
understands, but, like Siri, she often misunderstands
or fails to understand, and then she tells you so in her
soft, dulcet tones.
The same applies to the phone's smart stay face
recognition sensor, a feature where the screen stays
on as long as the front-facing camera detects you
looking at it. It means you can set the screen timeout
to say, 30 seconds, but it won't go blank while in the
middle of reading.

Even in terms of specs s3 is even leading but the iphone is a more durably and classy phone but personal after my s3 wud pick lumia 920 (if they update their app world( b4 iphone 5. For specs comparison visit gsmarena.com

Give it up for samsung electronics the WORLDS LARGEST IT COMPANY
[quote]

It's seams like you've been hidden under a rock for the past 6 years if you think all of those are innovations! The only real innovation in your list is the pop out play but if you had done your research or used an s3 you would no that it only works on videos saved on the device and does not work on streames e.g YouTube! So yo can't text and watch YouTube at the same time, so I don't see this as much of an innovation. The rest of the items in your list I suggest you go a research HTC sence. HTC twicked androind to already include all of your so called innovations.
Re: iPhone 5 A Disappointment Compared To Samsung Galaxy S3? by 4llerbuntu(m): 10:40am On Sep 14, 2012
[size=18pt]
Intellectual debate. Not insults and argument slang match that you are famous for on the soccer board. please stick to facts not assumptions and suppositions

[/size]

coogar:
jellybean for instance isn't even on s3 galaxy yet. as of today only 2% of android users have jellybean on their devices. as of today, more than 80% of apple users have ios 5 on their devices.....that was why i said android users are far behind! 98% of them don't even have the latest os(that was released months ago)on their devices!!

i never said it was on S3.

but unlike your walled garden, lots of us are running jellybean via custom roms.

i also believe IOS 6 is not on any Iphone yet. which sort of rubbishes your point likewise

coogar:
no voice commands can compare to siri - people are just talking rubbish! yes, siri is not perfect but what it does better than other voice commands is it understands the language, not just a mere voice recognition that google works on. google now does not reschedule appointments like siri. you need jellybean 4.1 to power it - only 1% of android users worldwide have upgraded! 80% of the active android users are still stuck on android 2.xxxx that birthed since 2010......upgrading on android is shyte! apple have that advantage over any other phone giant!

your percentages are wrong. a cursory search on google, or maybe engadget for the weekly mobile OS figures will show u the precise figures.
its low agreed. but thats not how the android ecosystem is structured. has never been. and it keeps expanding nonetheless. something must be right afterall.

BTW, we are not debating the update cycles of IOS and android. YOU SAID IOS6 IS BETTER THAN JELLYBEAN. not upgrades to IOS 6 is better than upgrades to JellyBean. Apples and Oranges

besides, i think the follwiing links/video will assist you in your confusion about SIRI vs Google Now

http://www.forbes.com/sites/anthonykosner/2012/08/10/googles-new-voice-powered-search-for-ios-makes-siri-look-like-shes-going-nowhere/

http://www.businessinsider.com/battle-google-now-vs-apples-siri-video-2012-7

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grmixtB9dZM
Re: iPhone 5 A Disappointment Compared To Samsung Galaxy S3? by 4llerbuntu(m): 10:56am On Sep 14, 2012
coogar:
you embarrass yourself in public when you utter comments like the above on a public forum! voice recognition apps has been on itunes before siri but they are limited to specific verbs, nouns, etc. what siri does better than others is executing the process after performing the simple task of voice recognition!

pressing power on button is a waste of time! with apple, no need for that!

im not sure u understand how this functionality i refer to work. you see your notifications on lockscreen and can directly unlock the phone into the necessary app to respond.

any other implementation would mean that your lockscreen is inactive.

i also believe this is how it works on IOS? i could be wrong abt the IOS sha, but i do know the one i use.

matter of fact i remember that a year and half ago, my gingerbread MIUI ROM already had this feature sef. is this the innovation that trumps jellybean?

coogar:
so this is an advantage? the fact that nigeria just got accepted is a plus to google? lol! don't make me laugh! how many users of apple are in nigeria to start with?

probably need to remind you you raised this point that : ".....apple has a store in almost every country in the world"

i fail to see how that makes IOS 6 superior to Jellybean. store to sell hardware or the online software app store?
the first is of no consequence to our topic

the second, Google playstore is available worldwide for purchases as long as you got an acceptable online credit or debit card in your country,

coogar:
i don't need to convince an android user to buy an apple phone! apple epitomises class, style, panache, speed and power! yes - its more expensive but that's because it's not a plastic phone like samsung!!!

grin grin grin
lol, Iphones are made of what? IRON?

besides, do not derail the debate, ITS IOS6 vs Jellybean, NOT THE HARDWARE that runs them. again apples and oranges.

coogar:
shut up about jellybean already.....it's not even on samsung galaxy s3 yet! you have not used it...you have only read about it, jellybean 4.1 launched since the 9th of july, isnt it?
galaxy came out months ago and it's still waiting to get the jellybean! apple users would get the feel of their new os the moment iPhone 5 launches! that's the difference.....i repeat - 80% of android users are still using android 2.0 that was released almost 2 yrs ago! getting an upgrade on android is slower than the earth's revolution - you are @ the mercy of your phone providers.....with apple, you get it wirelessly the moment the patch is available!

apple always wins - always!!

sigh. The iphone 5 ships with IOS 6

The S3 was released in MAY before jellybean was announced. how could it have shipped with it?

Apple makes the Iphone and generally release it to sync with new hardware release.

Google makes the Nexus. The Nexus also shipped with JellyBean!

once again how does this relate to our side topic: IOS6 vs Jellybean.?

Talk better jare, tell us features and stuff in IOS 6 that are superior to the ones in Jellybean
Re: iPhone 5 A Disappointment Compared To Samsung Galaxy S3? by coogar: 11:00am On Sep 14, 2012
4llerbuntu:
i never said it was on S3.
but unlike your walled garden, lots of us are running jellybean via custom roms.

and records show jellybean launched in july - we are in september and yet 98% android users don't have it on their phones. why should i debate what you don't currently have? it's available but it's not within reach - isn't the purpose defeated when after more than 2 months of jellybean release, you cannot get it?

i also believe IOS 6 is not on any Iphone yet. which sort of rubbishes your point likewise

that is because iOS 6 has not been released yet - jellybean has been released 2 full months ago and majority of android users are still on the old upgrade android 2.0 that was released way back 2010!

your percentages are wrong. a cursory search on google, or maybe engadget for the weekly mobile OS figures will show u the precise figures.
its low agreed. but thats not how the android ecosystem is structured. has never been. and it keeps expanding nonetheless. something must be right afterall.

why not quote the right percentages then? i reiterate, only 1% of android users have jellybean on their devices....get me links that disprove my claims or stop arguing on what you know nothing about!

BTW, we are not debating the update cycles of IOS and android. YOU SAID IOS6 IS BETTER THAN JELLYBEAN. not upgrades to IOS 6 is better than upgrades to JellyBean. Apples and Oranges

the update cycles of apple are better than android and iOS 6 is better than jellybean!

besides, i think the follwiing links/video will assist you in your confusion about SIRI vs Google Now

this is not how to argue ----
why are you comparing google now that launched in july 2012 with siri of 2011? siri is now enhanced. you can only get a fair comparison with google now(jellybean 4.1) vs siri(iOS 6). the video you showed is comparing jellybean with iOS 5 - a daft comparison by all means!

4llerbuntu:
im not sure u understand how this functionality i refer to work. you see your notifications on lockscreen and can directly unlock the phone into the necessary app to respond. any other implementation would mean that your lockscreen is inactive.
i also believe this is how it works on IOS? i could be wrong abt the IOS sha, but i do know the one i use.
matter of fact i remember that a year and half ago, my gingerbread MIUI ROM already had this feature sef. is this the innovation that trumps jellybean?

that's now how it works on apple. buy one and see the difference!

probably need to remind you you raised this point that : ".....apple has a store in almost every country in the world"

and they don't have in nigeria? it's apple's fault that nigeria's carding system is screwed up as cards don't sync with billing addresses thus making it difficult to achieve card authorisations to make online purchases? you are plumbing new depths of ignorance!

i fail to see how that makes IOS 6 superior to Jellybean. store to sell hardware or the online software app store? the first is of no consequence to our topic
the second, Google playstore is available worldwide for purchases as long as you got an acceptable online credit or debit card in your country,

it would soon become clear to you why iOS 6 is superior to jellybean.....be patient!

grin grin grin
lol, Iphones are made of what? IRON?

anodised aluminium that has that classy feel on your palms!

besides, do not derail the debate, ITS IOS6 vs Jellybean, NOT THE HARDWARE that runs them. again apples and oranges.

it's the total package. the operating system and the processor that powers them!

sigh. The iphone 5 ships with IOS 6
The S3 was released in MAY before jellybean was announced. how could it have shipped with it?

what a lame argument!
users of ipads, iPod touch, iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4 got their iOS 5 the same day iPhone 4s was launched. the new patch was released for all apple users and they didn't have to wait more than 2 months! android users should have gotten the jellybean since the day jellybean launched!

Apple makes the Iphone and generally release it to sync with new hardware release.
Google makes the Nexus. The Nexus also shipped with JellyBean!
once again how does this relate to our side topic: IOS6 vs Jellybean.?
Talk better jare, tell us features and stuff in IOS 6 that are superior to the ones in Jellybean

i don't repeat myself - i already told you that in my previous post!
Re: iPhone 5 A Disappointment Compared To Samsung Galaxy S3? by 4llerbuntu(m): 11:21am On Sep 14, 2012
sigh.

ok well i guess its actually a good thing when the android software and hardware released months and months before the competition can be put side by side and compared.
incase u dont notice that will mean that the competition is playing catchup with android, change in balance of innovative power

http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/14/gartner-q2-2012/

http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/6/3296326/ice-cream-sandwich-now-on-20-8-percent-of-android-devices-jelly-bean

no need prolonging the above points, and boring everyone on this thread

like i said earlier, open a thread, tell us features and stuff in IOS 6 that are superior to the ones in Jellybean (software), or that IOS 6 has and jellybean does not!!

im not interested in a iphone vs s3 or any other phone debate

Re: iPhone 5 A Disappointment Compared To Samsung Galaxy S3? by coogar: 11:36am On Sep 14, 2012
4llerbuntu: sigh.
ok well i guess its actually a good thing when the android software and hardware released months and months before the competition can be put side by side and compared.
incase u dont notice that will mean that the competition is playing catchup with android, change in balance of innovative power
http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/14/gartner-q2-2012/
http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/6/3296326/ice-cream-sandwich-now-on-20-8-percent-of-android-devices-jelly-bean

bwahahahahaha
i thought you said the figures i quoted were wrong. from your pie-chart, only 1.2% of android users have jellybean on their devices after 2 months of release! what a shame!!!

no need prolonging the above points, and boring everyone on this thread
like i said earlier, open a thread, tell us features and stuff in IOS 6 that are superior to the ones in Jellybean (software), or that IOS 6 has and jellybean does not!!
im not interested in a iphone vs s3 or any other phone debate

lmao @ open a thread!!
Re: iPhone 5 A Disappointment Compared To Samsung Galaxy S3? by odohemma(m): 12:44pm On Sep 14, 2012
na2day!:
Did you see the Nokia Lumia 920 announcement? It has wireless charging, a "floating lens" camera, and a touchscreen that works with gloves. Those are 3 huge innovations every future phone is going to have. I think Apple's smartphone innovation it reaching a plateau.

If someone owns an iPhone 4s and buys this, there is a huge problem with that person tongue
Wireless charging? Seems Nokia is staging a comeback
Re: iPhone 5 A Disappointment Compared To Samsung Galaxy S3? by 4llerbuntu(m): 12:46pm On Sep 14, 2012
i suppose u do know those figures are official and relate only the official number of phones that run the OS from factory.

that does not take into consideration the number of custom jellybean OS available.

heck MIUI and Cyanogenmod account for close to a million devices on jellyBEan unofficially already.

like i told u before, the google ecosystem does not work that way, u dont need rocket scientist to explain to you why Apple supports just ONE device, is responsible for manufacturing it and and a result is in charge of updates.

Google has shown how same with the nexus line. if google was selling only Nexus hardware, it would be the same with apple. there are lots and lots of varied android devices with varying components and specs made by varying manufacturers.

When Apple decided to make just two variants of the Iphone 4 s for Cdma networks last year, do you know how long it took them and the Telcos to sync updates?
Re: iPhone 5 A Disappointment Compared To Samsung Galaxy S3? by LordReed(m): 12:52pm On Sep 14, 2012
Apple has only ONE phone to update why won't the cycle be smoother? This is why we are surprised that with all the time and resources available to Apple they can only say they polished the casing with diamond. Refinements like that can be had else dear Apple. If anyone wants a diamond encrusted platinum case he/she can get it.
Re: iPhone 5 A Disappointment Compared To Samsung Galaxy S3? by coogar: 1:12pm On Sep 14, 2012
4llerbuntu: i suppose u do know those figures are official and relate only the official number of phones that run the OS from factory.
that does not take into consideration the number of custom jellybean OS available.

heck MIUI and Cyanogenmod account for close to a million devices on jellyBEan unofficially already.
like i told u before, the google ecosystem does not work that way, u dont need rocket scientist to explain to you why Apple supports just ONE device, is responsible for manufacturing it and and a result is in charge of updates.

Google has shown how same with the nexus line. if google was selling only Nexus hardware, it would be the same with apple. there are lots and lots of varied android devices with varying components and specs made by varying manufacturers.

When Apple decided to make just two variants of the Iphone 4 s for Cdma networks last year, do you know how long it took them and the Telcos to sync updates?

so what's the basis of comparison? only nexus owners have jellybean on their devices. the other android fans are still in the dark! iPhone owners at least get to use the latest greatest....so don't compare! you are stuck with the same os that your samsung galaxy came with and you would be saddled with that os unless you get the nexus - its a massive turn off!

Lord_Reed: Apple has only ONE phone to update why won't the cycle be smoother? This is why we are surprised that with all the time and resources available to Apple they can only say they polished the casing with diamond. Refinements like that can be had else dear Apple. If anyone wants a diamond encrusted platinum case he/she can get it.

clutching @ straws mixed with sour grapes!
who gives a damn that apple's adversaries are all over the place? apple have built an effective ecosystem that allows apple users to hop from a tablet to a phone and to a laptop and even to the ipod.....no frills, no thrills.....just a perfect seamless transition from one device to another and it's regularly updated without delays!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Naira Devaluation: Expect Price Hike, Telcos Tell Subscribers / How To Increase The Charging Rate Of Your Smartphone / Official List Of Infinix Smartphones To Receive Android 8 Oreo Update And Date

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 150
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.