Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,634 members, 7,958,900 topics. Date: Thursday, 26 September 2024 at 06:56 AM

New Kid In The (nolly) 'wood'... - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / New Kid In The (nolly) 'wood'... (1040 Views)

Download Both Nolly & Hollywood Movies Straight To Your Mobile Phone / Hi-Nolly on HiTV Versus Nollywood Channel On Trend TV / Kingsley Orji/nonso (nolly Wood Actors) Do You Know Any Too Well? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

New Kid In The (nolly) 'wood'... by Jayboy124: 10:36pm On Sep 13, 2012
One thing I have always felt Nollywood hasn’t got yet is a set of free-minded independent artists that will champion a new ‘artistic’ Nollywood. I am one of Nollywood’s greatest fans... I enjoy sitting at the far end of Ozone Cinemas or Genesis Deluxe cinema screens, getting lost in whatever the likes of Kunle Afolayan (Phone Swap), Leila Djansi (Ties That Bind), Jeta Amata (Inale) and Chineze Anyaene (Ije) want to show the world. I just mention those movies because they are very brilliant Nollywood movies that have in recent times got me excited about the prospects of a Nollywood Oscar

But I haven’t been more excited about Nollywood ever as I have been after meeting C. J. Obasi. C. J. Obasi is a twenty-something year old making his first feature film, Jim & Joan: A Voodoo Tale.

First time we met, he came to ‘our’ small film house to look for an actress for his film. After the introductions, we chatted about everything film. I was afraid to mention Woody Allen at first, it has cost me a few friends (offline and online, mostly females) in the past But after getting more and more comfortable with him. I mention Woody Allen and he seemed to know a lot him than I did. From then on, it was easy to see how much he knew about films and, more importantly, filmmaking.

He also mentions how it seems every aspiring Nollywood filmmaker says his film will be different from what we usually see. But still promises me that his film will be different. I didn’t have my doubts that his film will be different. I would find out later. He got his actress, did a little audition, and left.

Two months later, I saw a few clips of the new movie. And he was right. The film was truly different. Artistically, it was brilliant. Even though what I saw wasn’t finished yet, I still had the same feeling I had seeing those Nollywood classics at cinemas. He ‘knows’ each shot. And there was this rawness about the film I hadn’t seen in a Nollywood film. After seeing a few clips, I sat back, stayed quiet for a while and told him that he might have just made a Nollywood classic.

Jim & Joan: A Voodoo Tale won’t be one of those star-studded over-hyped Nollywood film. It won’t try to please you. It won’t have all those Nollywood clichés that have bored us all these years. It would be a refreshing experience. A movie that might forever change how Nollywood works. Most importantly, it will make people question C. J. Obasi’s sanity. But don’t worry... he is just a true artist... an independent filmmaker trying to change how films are made in Nollywood. And even though he is clinically sane, but artistically he should be in the same mental ward with Quentin Tarantino and Lars von Trier.

Fiery Film Presents

Jim & Joan: A Voodoo Tale

(A man. A woman. An ancient evil)

Written, Produced and Directed by C. J. Obasi (aka The Fiery One) @fierycj

Executive Producer - Benjamin Stockton

Original Music by - Beatoven and Wache Pollen

Please visit and like the facebook page

http://m.facebook.com/profile.php?v=feed&id=283234758445035&refid=17&m_sess=1TSFmk-tL499Q3X

*Ties That Bind might be classified as a Ghollywood (Ghanaian movie industry) movie.

Re: New Kid In The (nolly) 'wood'... by VillageBoi(m): 12:01am On Sep 14, 2012
Very nice find JayBoy... sounds pretty damn good already and I def trust your judgement and taste.
Re: New Kid In The (nolly) 'wood'... by Jayboy124: 6:40am On Sep 14, 2012
VillageBoi:
Very nice find JayBoy... sounds pretty damn good already and I def trust your judgement and taste.

Re: New Kid In The (nolly) 'wood'... by Jayboy124: 6:54am On Sep 14, 2012
[quote author=Jayboy124][/quote]

Thanks Villageboi.

Just keep getting the feeling Nollywood needs an independent industry. We need out own 'Junos', 'Little Miss Sunshines', 'Crazy Hearts', 'Slumdog Millionaires' and all of that.

Any new stuff coming from you soon?
Re: New Kid In The (nolly) 'wood'... by VillageBoi(m): 7:07am On Sep 14, 2012
Jayboy124:

Thanks Villageboi.

Just keep getting the feeling Nollywood needs an independent industry. We need out own 'Junos', 'Little Miss Sunshines', 'Crazy Hearts', 'Slumdog Millionaires' and all of that.

Any new stuff coming from you soon?

You're so right, we def do need Nigerian filmmakers that think in the 'right' direction and need to step far away from the 'comfort zone' of Nollywood - RE my pissed off rant at the bottom of this page - https://www.nairaland.com/205/nigerian-films-ever-shown-cinemas

Do I have new stuff? A completely crazy script that will only work in the US as it involves a hell of a lot of guns. Presently research 2 other feature films that I'm writing... I really want things to be that in a year I have have started shooting a feature film - still undecided if it will be here in London or in Nigeria... I'm 80% wanting to do my first feature in Nigeria because I'm 1000% for 'the rest of the world' noticing so much more from Naija!
Re: New Kid In The (nolly) 'wood'... by VillageBoi(m): 7:08am On Sep 14, 2012
VillageBoi:

You're so right, we def do need Nigerian filmmakers that think in the 'right' direction and need to step far away from the 'comfort zone' of Nollywood - RE my pissed off rant at the bottom of this page - https://www.nairaland.com/205/nigerian-films-ever-shown-cinemas

Do I have new stuff? Yes... but I wouldn't say 'soon'. A completely crazy script that will only work in the US as it involves a hell of a lot of guns. Presently researching 2 other 'powerful' feature films that I'm writing... I really want things to be that in a year I have have started shooting a feature film - still undecided if it will be here in London or in Nigeria... I'm 80% wanting to do my first feature in Nigeria because I'm 1000% for 'the rest of the world' noticing so much more from Naija!
Re: New Kid In The (nolly) 'wood'... by Jayboy124: 11:11am On Sep 14, 2012
VillageBoi:

Do I have new stuff? A completely crazy script that will only work in the US as it involves a hell of a lot of guns. Presently research 2 other feature films that I'm writing... I really want things to be that in a year I have have started shooting a feature film - still undecided if it will be here in London or in Nigeria... I'm 80% wanting to do my first feature in Nigeria because I'm 1000% for 'the rest of the world' noticing so much more from Naija!

I have replied man. I try to watch most of the Oscar/Globes/Sundance/Cannes films. And we haven't started making movies like that. A few good movies come out yearly though, but not in the same league as those. Tsotsi (South Africa) and A Seperation (Iran), those are stuff we should study if we wanna get global attention. Cheap but very fantastic artistic stuff.

Try bring your film to Nigeria. It'll make a lot more sense here.
Re: New Kid In The (nolly) 'wood'... by VillageBoi(m): 4:34pm On Sep 14, 2012
Jayboy124:
Try bring your film to Nigeria. It'll make a lot more sense here.

Absolutely, it's really the only place that is fully logical! Did repsond to your post RE the other thread.

(1) (Reply)

Seen The Movie "Spectre" Take A Closer Look At The Cars Used-its Super Cool! / Top 10 Most Watched Movies Of All Time. / [Music] Destiny Boy – Fia (Davido Cover)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.