Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,052 members, 7,821,622 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:56 PM

The medical students and aspirants thread - Education (34) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The medical students and aspirants thread (1837173 Views)

✿ Ambrose Alli University Ekpoma (AAU) 2016/2017 Aspirants Thread. / FUTMINNA 2015/2016 ASPIRANTS THREAD / 12 Things I Learnt From The Medical School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) ... (906) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 2:00am On Jan 04, 2013
@adeaugustus, welcome to this 1daful thread of great minds.
@Lagusta, go nd finish dem jor nd cum back with our induction chicken and rice tongue
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Lagusta(m): 10:36am On Jan 04, 2013
adeaugustus: Am not a Medicine Student, but am studying Medical Science (Human Anatomy). I love the course am studying right now, dissection at it's peak, (Lower Limbs) learning(Sembuligam) Cramming (Keith Moore) Drawings(Histology) Pathways (Biochemistry) Studying (Embryology).....The pressure on it's own is good to keep us going, waking up everyday with the desire to get back into your laboratory coat, walking into the Gross Anatomy Laboratory, as the Formaline odour at it's peak ushers you in, they you begin to deal with cadavers...."Scapel, Please" Scrapping off fats... Gluteal Region is full of fat!!! Just pray you don't get a fat, old cadaver, because they're not fun to dissect!!! Lot's of cold fat....Do you visualise fun in my rants? Seriously it's fun.

Don't let people fool you about Job Prospects in Basic Medical Sciences in Nigeria, The problem with our scholars is that, they want to start earning money with their first degree (B.sc, B.tech), If that is your foresight, BMS is not for you, but if you desire to leave your footprints on the sand of medicine, the BMS is the right way to go. Before you can get a good job with Basic Medical Sciences Degree, you must have at least a Master Degree, better still a PhD. Do you know that most PhD degree in BMS is fully funded in Developed country and you'll still earn stipends for studying?? BMS is all about discovering something that would help generations to come.

While I really Appreciate the effort of our Doctors, Nurses, and other Medical Officers, because they are in the fore front of presenting medical care to patients, their effort is limited to so categories of people, but a medical discovery can save more life, even more than what a doctor will do in his life time (But, Doctors roles with patients is inevitable, they work hard to see things are done the way it should be done).

Let's the dissection begin!

Boss, I totally agree with you...

Without the knowledge of anatomy, we won't know the correct place to give an intramuscular injection...

Without the knowledge of histology, we won't know the different layers of skin...

Without embryology, we won't have any idea of the effects of thalidomide

Without physiology, we won't know the correct amount of fluid to give, to prevent volume overload...

So as you can see, there is no doctor without the basic medical sciences, its just like a brand new range sport without tyres... Its damn useless!!!

4 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 11:48am On Jan 04, 2013
alutacontinua: @adeaugustus, welcome to this 1daful thread of great minds.
@Lagusta, go nd finish dem jor nd cum back with our induction chicken and rice tongue

Thanks bro... Looking forward to learn from you guys.

Lagusta:

Boss, I totally agree with you...

Without the knowledge of anatomy, we won't know the correct place to give an intramuscular injection...

Without the knowledge of histology, we won't know the different layers of skin...

Without embryology, we won't have any idea of the effects of thalidomide

Without physiology, we won't know the correct amount of fluid to give, to prevent volume overload...

So as you can see, there is no doctor without the basic medical sciences, its just like a brand new range sport without tyres... Its damn useless!!!

Thanks for seeing it from that perspective, most people don't understand the significance of Basic Medical Sciences. I hope our people will be enlighten sooner than latter.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by ebsuguy(m): 12:11pm On Jan 04, 2013
adeaugustus: Am not a Medicine Student, but am studying Medical Science (Human Anatomy). I love the course am studying right now, dissection at it's peak, (Lower Limbs) learning(Sembuligam) Cramming (Keith Moore) Drawings(Histology) Pathways (Biochemistry) Studying (Embryology).....The pressure on it's own is good to keep us going, waking up everyday with the desire to get back into your laboratory coat, walking into the Gross Anatomy Laboratory, as the Formaline odour at it's peak ushers you in, they you begin to deal with cadavers...."Scapel, Please" Scrapping off fats... Gluteal Region is full of fat!!! Just pray you don't get a fat, old cadaver, because they're not fun to dissect!!! Lot's of cold fat....Do you visualise fun in my rants? Seriously it's fun.

Don't let people fool you about Job Prospects in Basic Medical Sciences in Nigeria, The problem with our scholars is that, they want to start earning money with their first degree (B.sc, B.tech), If that is your foresight, BMS is not for you, but if you desire to leave your footprints on the sand of medicine, the BMS is the right way to go. Before you can get a good job with Basic Medical Sciences Degree, you must have at least a Master Degree, better still a PhD. Do you know that most PhD degree in BMS is fully funded in Developed country and you'll still earn stipends for studying?? BMS is all about discovering something that would help generations to come.

While I really Appreciate the effort of our Doctors, Nurses, and other Medical Officers, because they are in the fore front of presenting medical care to patients, their effort is limited to so categories of people, but a medical discovery can save more life, even more than what a doctor will do in his life time (But, Doctors roles with patients is inevitable, they work hard to see things are done the way it should be done).

boooosss...i dy feeeellll u diee...
We rhyme together...though am a medic buh i lov anatomy out of the 3 courses for 2nd mb.....u just drop am as e dy hurt....abegiii...scapel pls...but my own na...golden scapel pls.....lol...u can add me on 2go with 08160173226
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 1:38pm On Jan 04, 2013
ebsuguy:
boooosss...i dy feeeellll u diee...
We rhyme together...though am a medic buh i lov anatomy out of the 3 courses for 2nd mb.....u just drop am as e dy hurt....abegiii...scapel pls...but my own na...golden scapel pls.....lol...u can add me on 2go with 08160173226
lolzz, i could use a golden scalpel too!!! As per the 2go; am done with chatapps for now, i invested too much of my time in chatting last year, so i deleted the application on 1st January * I hope i'll be able to stay off 2go for at least first quarter of the year*

We save life,discover solutions with the wisdom God bestowed upon Us. So Medical degree is not just about the prestige derived, we're also fulfilling destiny!

3 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by charleymed(m): 4:14pm On Jan 04, 2013

You are specially welcomed to this wonderful, inspiring and educative thread, anchored by our one and only Dr sir LAGUUUUSTAAA!. Soon you will begin to interact with great minds like, lagusta, Dr gboy, phoenix, Dr bode, glowin2shyn et al, just make ur self comfortable, this is ur home.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by NiceHans: 6:42pm On Jan 04, 2013
Mehn, medical school is just too sweet nd interesting, lectures, dissections physiology practcals - laughter fun some times apprehension, hangin ur colleagues with ur stuffs especially in anatomy, no time syndrome wen exams approach, overnite jacking, tachycardia and utter happiness on success at d notice board @ exam results release
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by drfemzy(m): 7:27pm On Jan 04, 2013
WELCOME TO DA CLUB!!!!! I promise u will hav an unforgettable experience as u start ur journey....

Since u r a fresher, u will resume 100L studying the basic sciences I.e physics, chemistry and biology, maybe maths (we don't do maths in unilorin). Then u spend the next two years (the preclinical years) studying the basic medical sciences I.e anatomy, physiology and biochenistry. In unilorin, we also do a bit of behavioural sciences, microbiology, epidemiology and a WHO program called COBES.

Now, when u get to 400L, you will do harder basic sciences: pathology and pharmacology, but u will also be introduced to the clinical sciences: medicine surgery, paediatrics and obstetrics and gynaecology. Finally in your last two years, yow will deal with only clinical sciences, including the surgical specialties, community health and psychiatry. Making a total of 6yrs.

After graduation, u will be pre-registered into the MDCN (medical and dental council of nigeria) and start your housemanship for one full year (don't worry, u will be paid salary), then you will go for service, but be preparing to write your primaries exam, in order for u to specialize in your place of interest I.e surgery, am I correct

Well, that's that for now...[/quote]
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 8:15pm On Jan 04, 2013
Good eve guys,i'd introduced my self on one of the pages in this forum,i love what you guys are doing here keep it up, though u guys are exploring and freelancing øn what yu learnt frm medico school, it's in a way refreshing and educating us in a wonderful way,thank you once more,as a medical laboratory science student in my final year,i wil outline what my academic curriculum had been all this while,during my year1 we were tutored on general basic science courses physics,chemistry,biology,maths,english with general studies,second year we studied basic medical sciences like gross anatomy,physiology,biochemistry,histology,enzymology,genetics, in the 3rd year that is when we started most of our core departmental courses like histopathology,chemical pathology.med microbiology,hematology,transfusion science,immunology with some anciliary courses lik pharmacology and toxicology,biomedical instrumentation and enginèering.4th year we were into a more advance med lab topics which is concluded with first profesional exam written in 4th year ending.finaly at the 5th year we were meant to choose our specialty in line with our four main divisions (hematology,chemical pathology,histopathology,microbiology) the road to actualizing our tedious five year B.mls degree is ended with the writing of our final professional exam, if passed we will be inducted as an asociate of med lab science then we will be licenced to undergo a 1 year internship in any government hospital.hope you guys are now enlightened on the scope of medical lab science as an undergrad.kudos lagusta et al.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by NiceHans: 8:17pm On Jan 04, 2013
I m nt a fresher wo, i m in 300l mbbs preparing 4 1st mb!
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by nosa2cool: 8:18pm On Jan 04, 2013
DESPUTE: Medics vs Dentals
No Insults pls
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Lagusta(m): 10:00pm On Jan 04, 2013
Emzybrown: Good eve guys,i'd introduced my self on one of the pages in this forum,i love what you guys are doing here keep it up, though u guys are exploring and freelancing øn what yu learnt frm medico school, it's in a way refreshing and educating us in a wonderful way,thank you once more,as a medical laboratory science student in my final year,i wil outline what my academic curriculum had been all this while,during my year1 we were tutored on general basic science courses physics,chemistry,biology,maths,english with general studies,second year we studied basic medical sciences like gross anatomy,physiology,biochemistry,histology,enzymology,genetics, in the 3rd year that is when we started most of our core departmental courses like histopathology,chemical pathology.med microbiology,hematology,transfusion science,immunology with some anciliary courses lik pharmacology and toxicology,biomedical instrumentation and enginèering.4th year we were into a more advance med lab topics which is concluded with first profesional exam written in 4th year ending.finaly at the 5th year we were meant to choose our specialty in line with our four main divisions (hematology,chemical pathology,histopathology,microbiology) the road to actualizing our tedious five year B.mls degree is ended with the writing of our final professional exam, if passed we will be inducted as an asociate of med lab science then we will be licenced to undergo a 1 year internship in any government hospital.hope you guys are now enlightened on the scope of medical lab science as an undergrad.kudos lagusta et al.

Thanx for the info boss...

Do you know that I have a keen interest in the lab medical sciences, especially hematology??

A doctor can be a resident in any of the four MLS courses. If there is any test to be carried out, the lab scientist is the first to carry out the test... After all the observations and inference, he sends the result to the resident doctor in charge, who reviews for any error or additions to the result. Then the doctor confirms the diagnosis and sends the result to the clinician...

I love hematology because blood is life... Without blood, all organs will fail gradually until....

Well, I also love community medicine, cos I believe I can't make an impact unless I reach-out to the community...

May God lead me to the right path..
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Lagusta(m): 10:03pm On Jan 04, 2013
NiceHans: I m nt a fresher wo, i m in 300l mbbs preparing 4 1st mb!

All tha best bro... Go and shine!!!
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Lagusta(m): 10:09pm On Jan 04, 2013
nosa2cool: DESPUTE: Medics vs Dentals
No Insults pls

I thought we had thrashed that topic, well, no problem shaa...

Do you know that there are a lot of diseases that can be diagnosed in the oral cavity...

Dental caries, gingivitis, glossitis, macroglossia, fluorosis, oral candidiasis, parotiditis, and all forms of cancers, from squamous cell cancers to MALIGNANT MELANOMA!!!

So dentists, medics, we all save lives.....
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 10:36pm On Jan 04, 2013
All Branches of medicine have significant impact in saving lifes. I love MLS too... I just hope that their national body/association could fight for a double degree with the NUC... I.e. After their normal 5years in university they should be awarded , M.mls.......Aspiring Medic in the house, don't waste your time at home , all for the sake of seeking admission into medicine, believe me you'lll be a good Surgeon/Doctor e.t.c if you have a solid background in any of those basic medical sciences. Try something like MLS (Because they have really great job prospect for the next decade or so) After Graduation, Obtain DE form and begin your journey in medical school

You Can even work part-time with you MLS degree for the first two years of medical school (Because most of what you will learn during this time are what you've learned before)......

Don't think you'll be too old to pursue MBBS after MLS or other BMS courses (An old man in my school *Lautech* he looks 60+ if i guess right, now in 500L), if you really want it, then age is not a factor.

Now i have to sleep, before another cadaver wakes up *just Kidding, dead body don't wake up, even if they do, cadavers don't because they would have lost the better part of their body to my scalpel*

4 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 11:00pm On Jan 04, 2013
Lagusta:

Thanx for the info boss...

Do you know that I have a keen interest in the lab medical sciences, especially hematology??

A doctor can be a resident in any of the four MLS courses. If there is any test to be carried out, the lab scientist is the first to carry out the test... After all the observations and inference, he sends the result to the resident doctor in charge, who reviews for any error or additions to the result. Then the doctor confirms the diagnosis and sends the result to the clinician...

I love hematology because blood is life... Without blood, all organs will fail gradually until....

Well, I also love community medicine, cos I believe I can't make an impact unless I reach-out to the community...

May God lead me to the right path..

sir, its very encouraging that you show interest in laboratory medicine which is quite laudable,but in nigeria as an entity were things are not done as it suppose to be,with my observation of health care services both private and government hospitals establishment,as a doctor specializing in hemat or chem path or pathology, it is usualy not lucrative and their is minimal job satisfaction when compared to other areas lik gynae.i know so many pathologist having some element of regret cos yu cant compare them with the bigwigs in obsteric n gynae or maybe paediaterics and otherz,what is your take on this?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 11:06pm On Jan 04, 2013
Don't let us deceive ourselves....getting jobs in naija wif degree in anatomy or physiology is nt easy at all(i knw what ma uncle faced for 2 and half yrs wif a 2:1 in anatomy b4 he got d opportunity of travelling abroad)....xcept 4 lecturing and i am sure nt all of us can lecture......
God should just help us all....goin into medicine thru DE is more or less waste of time,it doesnt make u any better than those goin straight into MBBS...go and check d list of best medical students dat has graduated in OAU 4 d past 6yrs...hardly wl u see someone dat entered thru DE among d best...so whats it?

Do u even knw dat in d 1970s,if u want to study MBBS in oau,u wl b given a BSc certificate afta ur preclinicals...u can use d certificate to get job anywhere d help of a anatomist/physiologist/biochemist is needed....
Nowadays,doctors are employed in place of anatomists and physiologists...
To me,i fink its better to study MBBS,BDS,Medical lab,physiotherapy and other clinical courses than just sitting down on anatomy and physiology,not even in dis country of ours!!

Just my view tho'....*no offence*

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 11:16pm On Jan 04, 2013
adeaugustus: All Branches of medicine have significant impact in saving lifes. I love MLS too... I just hope that their national body/association could fight for a double degree with the NUC... I.e. After their normal 5years in university they should be awarded , M.mls.......Aspiring Medic in the house, don't waste your time at home , all for the sake of seeking admission into medicine, believe me you'lll be a good Surgeon/Doctor e.t.c if you have a solid background in any of those basic medical sciences. Try something like MLS (Because they have really great job prospect for the next decade or so) After Graduation, Obtain DE form and begin your journey in medical school

You Can even work part-time with you MLS degree for the first two years of medical school (Because most of what you will learn during this time are what you've learned before)......

Don't think you'll be too old to pursue MBBS after MLS or other BMS courses (An old man in my school *Lautech* he looks 60+ if i guess right, now in 500L), if you really want it, then age is not a factor.

Now i have to sleep, before another cadaver wakes up *just Kidding, dead body don't wake up, even if they do, cadavers don't because they would have lost the better part of their body to my scalpel*

hahahaha bros you funny o o,you reminded me of one occasion during my days of lab posting,i was posted to a histopathology laboratory and beside the building is the hospital mortuary,at the initial period guy fear catch me wella in the night but later i outgrown the symptom of cadaverphobia lol thats my vocabulary,hahaha dead bodies plenty for that large mortuary which reminds me to tell peeps here on this fora to repent that death is not a respecter of any individual,when i watch dead bodies fixated with formalin well make i stop joor.
Sir, association of medical lab science council of nigeria are working towards making the course a six year programme therefore issueing M.mls but that have not started actualy well its a welcome development. Kudos

2 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 11:40pm On Jan 04, 2013
Dr.'Hesjay:
Don't let us deceive ourselves....getting jobs in naija wif degree in anatomy or physiology is nt easy at all(i knw what ma uncle faced for 2 and half yrs wif a 2:1 in anatomy b4 he got d opportunity of travelling abroad)....xcept 4 lecturing and i am sure nt all of us can lecture......
God should just help us all....goin into medicine thru DE is more or less waste of time,it doesnt make u any better than those goin straight into MBBS...go and check d list of best medical students dat has graduated in OAU 4 d past 6yrs...hardly wl u see someone dat entered thru DE among d best...so whats it?

Do u even knw dat in d 1970s,if u want to study MBBS in oau,u wl b given a BSc certificate afta ur preclinicals...u can use d certificate to get job anywhere d help of a anatomist/physiologist/biochemist is needed....
Nowadays,doctors are employed in place of anatomists and physiologists...
To me,i fink its better to study MBBS,BDS,Medical lab,physiotherapy and other clinical courses than just sitting down on anatomy and physiology,not even in dis country of ours!!

Just my view tho'....*no offence*

<p>Check my First Post on this thread, i explained why most Anatomy and Physiology graduate ends up complaining about how the job prospect is poor. </p>

1. Most of thos graduate don't even know the course before they got admmitted, they never had proper orientation about the course.

2. BMS is not for First degree Holder! If you think you're going to get a fancy job in some big hospital after a first degree in anatomy or physiology, bch, bros, thats pure fantasy! BMS is for people that desire to put in their time to discover and add to the knowledge of medicine.

3. B.sc, B.tech, this is just the stepping stone to what BMS is all about, upgrade yourself, get a second degree, third degree perharps.

4. I'd like to correct the notion that every BMS graduate most become a lecturer for them to get a good job, you're very wrong, below is analysis on how you can make the best from your BMS degree.

A). Study for a second degree in Public Health: With such degree, the sky is your limit,

B). Study for a second degree in you initial field, with such level of education, you're opportuned to apply for reseach grand and set-up your own lab.

C). Enterprenureship: Start your own Business. Funeral home is a very good business, if you actually knew what you were taught in school.

D). Write Professional Exams in HSE courses, coupled with your BMS degree, then you're good to fo.

E). Study for PhD, and become a consultant for different companies (Pharmaceuticals especially)

Do you know that in the United state MD is a second degree? Not a first degrre? You must have a bachelor degree, before you can apply to medical school.

It is the right time that our peopl learn that it's actually not about the money that you earn from your job, it's all about the impact that you can make. </p>
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Lagusta(m): 7:40am On Jan 05, 2013
Emzybrown:

sir, its very encouraging that you show interest in laboratory medicine which is quite laudable,but in nigeria as an entity were things are not done as it suppose to be,with my observation of health care services both private and government hospitals establishment,as a doctor specializing in hemat or chem path or pathology, it is usualy not lucrative and their is minimal job satisfaction when compared to other areas lik gynae.i know so many pathologist having some element of regret cos yu cant compare them with the bigwigs in obsteric n gynae or maybe paediaterics and otherz,what is your take on this?

Boss, don't say that again ooo...

It all depends on your personal interest, and as a doctor, you are paid the same salary... Whether you are a gynae, hematologist or a gastroenterologist!!!

The only people paid higher salary are radiologists, neurosurgeons and anaesttiologists, because of "hazard allowance" (these dudes are REALLY EXPOSED TO A LOT OF HAZARDS, and they spend more time in the hospital)

So it doesn't matter, cos we all contribute towards saving a life!!!

I am not doing it because of the money, its all to save a life...
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Lagusta(m): 7:44am On Jan 05, 2013
adeaugustus:

<p>Check my First Post on this thread, i explained why most Anatomy and Physiology graduate ends up complaining about how the job prospect is poor. </p>

1. Most of thos graduate don't even know the course before they got admmitted, they never had proper orientation about the course.

2. BMS is not for First degree Holder! If you think you're going to get a fancy job in some big hospital after a first degree in anatomy or physiology, bch, bros, thats pure fantasy! BMS is for people that desire to put in their time to discover and add to the knowledge of medicine.

3. B.sc, B.tech, this is just the stepping stone to what BMS is all about, upgrade yourself, get a second degree, third degree perharps.

4. I'd like to correct the notion that every BMS graduate most become a lecturer for them to get a good job, you're very wrong, below is analysis on how you can make the best from your BMS degree.

A). Study for a second degree in Public Health: With such degree, the sky is your limit,

B). Study for a second degree in you initial field, with such level of education, you're opportuned to apply for reseach grand and set-up your own lab.

C). Enterprenureship: Start your own Business. Funeral home is a very good business, if you actually knew what you were taught in school.

D). Write Professional Exams in HSE courses, coupled with your BMS degree, then you're good to fo.

E). Study for PhD, and become a consultant for different companies (Pharmaceuticals especially)

Do you know that in the United state MD is a second degree? Not a first degrre? You must have a bachelor degree, before you can apply to medical school.

It is the right time that our peopl learn that it's actually not about the money that you earn from your job, it's all about the impact that you can make. </p>

I love this 10million times!!!!!

Please tell them again....

2 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 9:18am On Jan 05, 2013
Lagusta:

I thought we had thrashed that topic, well, no problem shaa...

Do you know that there are a lot of diseases that can be diagnosed in the oral cavity...

Dental caries, gingivitis, glossitis, macroglossia, fluorosis, oral candidiasis, parotiditis, and all forms of cancers, from squamous cell cancers to MALIGNANT MELANOMA!!!

So dentists, medics, we all save lives.....

Dr. Lagusta, 're we supposed to be disputing on this thread, tot we're all one nd d same.

[quote author=adeaugustus]

Thanks bro... Looking forward to learn from you guys.

I'm not a bro
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Phoenix6278(m): 9:53am On Jan 05, 2013
Really enjoying this discussion especially the way you guys have been talking about cadavers. But seriously, are they really that fun to dissect? Really can't wait to resume next month, you guys just reignited the passion. Success to all those writing one exam or the other, you will all make it.
Kudos to the Lab scientists, the Dentists, physiotherapists to mention a few, we are all working towards the same goal which is to save lives and to make it much easier to live and Dr Lagusta pls invite us to your induction, let me visit my tailor to sew me a specially crafted caftan for the occasion. Happy new year Ɣ'all
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by deltadegre: 10:08am On Jan 05, 2013
any delsu medics in the house
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by deltadegre: 10:09am On Jan 05, 2013
any medics from DELSU in the house plssss let me knw
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 10:25am On Jan 05, 2013
adeaugustus:

still saying the same thing...all those things u'r saying,shey na mouth dem dey use talk am ni??..u fink its as easy as d way u listed it??....anyway,experience teaches best,i wish u luck boss!!!

And to what u said...i dont fink U.S. does gives MB...its UK dat gives MB,and its nt really a 2nd degree..just dat u wl b given a BSc certificate,then u face clinical courses in medicine,..nt dat u spend 3/4yrs in a BMS course and den start medicine from part 1...so its still d d same thing,dat was d system oau practised in d '70s
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 11:27am On Jan 05, 2013
Dr.'Hesjay:
still saying the same thing...all those things u'r saying,shey na mouth dem dey use talk am ni??..u fink its as easy as d way u listed it??....anyway,experience teaches best,i wish u luck boss!!!

And to what u said...i dont fink U.S. does gives MB...its UK dat gives MB,and its nt really a 2nd degree..just dat u wl b given a BSc certificate,then u face clinical courses in medicine,..nt dat u spend 3/4yrs in a BMS course and den start medicine from part 1...so its still d d same thing,dat was d system oau practised in d '70s

I beg to disagree with you that MD is not a second degree in the USA. Do the research, after graduating from your desired undergraduate course that is when you can then apply to medical school after taking MCAT....

About your perspective of Biomedical Sciences, what i said earlier is not just mouth talk. If you're against the fact that you can be successful with biomedical degree, i have no issue with that, but don't mislead aspiring lads that needs proper orientation about this courses.

An Average Nigerian will tell you that after NYSC the next thing is to search for job, while the ones with foresight will tell you there is more to learn than searching for job (Especially in medical sciences)

BTW: Am not a wanna be, i've made my research before studying the course.

Thanks for your contribution.

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 11:34am On Jan 05, 2013
Phoenix6278: Really enjoying this discussion especially the way you guys have been talking about cadavers. But seriously, are they really that fun to dissect? Really can't wait to resume next month, you guys just reignited the passion. Success to all those writing one exam or the other, you will all make it.
Kudos to the Lab scientists, the Dentists, physiotherapists to mention a few, we are all working towards the same goal which is to save lives and to make it much easier to live and Dr Lagusta pls invite us to your induction, let me visit my tailor to sew me a specially crafted caftan for the occasion. Happy new year Ɣ'all

Dissection is fun, although it might be scary as a beginner, but once you get use to it, it's fun.

In my school we have good instructors, and our school curriculum helps alot, because we dissect the part we're being taught theoretically, so this gives you the opportunity of seeing what the lecturer is talking about. Take for instance, when learning Lower Limbs (First part you'll ever get to study in anatomy) in class, inside the lab you'll get the opportunity of opening up the humab lower limbs, and you'll be like "ehen, so this is the tibia, fibula, ehen so this is what is called femoral triangle, this is so so and so" Thats the fun part of it.

And you friends will keep wondering how you do it!....laughs*
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Obinnau(m): 12:22pm On Jan 05, 2013
without this thread i think my spirit will have been dampened after my first attempt at entering into the uni. Kudos to u guys. Cant wait to enter med school!!
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by deltadegre: 5:44pm On Jan 05, 2013
i greet the whole medics in the room
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Alaafialoro(m): 7:05pm On Jan 05, 2013
adeaugustus:
An Average Nigerian will tell you that after NYSC the next thing is to search for job, while the ones with foresight will tell you there is more to learn than searching for job (Especially in medical sciences)
Well, dr. Hesjay was actually right in my opinion because the role of physiologists and anatomists in nigerian health sector is less significant and as well neglected. Most of the works of the BMS graduates are being expertly done by doctors. I was recently at a federal teaching hospital for IT and the number of BMS graduates employed is very minimal, just about 1% of the numbers of doctors employed(this figure may actually be bogus).
As for obtaining second degree, not every bms graduate can afford to go for master degree instantly after graduation without being gainfully employed because of financial constraint.
My point is the problem of bms courses should not be swept under the carpet by using what can be achieved after obtaining second/third degree as a standard.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Lagusta(m): 7:22pm On Jan 05, 2013
alutacontinua:

Dr. Lagusta, 're we supposed to be disputing on this thread, tot we're all one nd d same.

No disputes, we are all one and the same... WE ARE ONE!!!

(1) (2) (3) ... (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) ... (906) (Reply)

Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016 / National Open University Of Nigeria (NOUN) Students

Viewing this topic: holyprime, ilemona4you2(m) and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 125
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.