Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,148 members, 7,811,266 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 07:50 AM

The medical students and aspirants thread - Education (219) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The medical students and aspirants thread (1824769 Views)

✿ Ambrose Alli University Ekpoma (AAU) 2016/2017 Aspirants Thread. / FUTMINNA 2015/2016 ASPIRANTS THREAD / 12 Things I Learnt From The Medical School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (216) (217) (218) (219) (220) (221) (222) ... (905) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by otes6(m): 9:06am On Feb 05, 2015
Hello Docs.....pls whc textbooks wil u recommend 4 a MB2 stdnt in al courses
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Idyllic: 1:13pm On Feb 05, 2015
Waliyllahi:

MB1 is roughly by end ok 300level first semester, path and pharm is at UCH bt u wud av some intro courses in UI wt d newly introduced new curriculum. My set is d last of d old curriculum
@ Waliyllahi, pls which set are you 2010 or 2011 set?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Waliyllahi(m): 2:21pm On Feb 05, 2015
Idyllic:
@ Waliyllahi, pls which set are you 2010 or 2011 set?
I am of 2K12 UCH set which means I got admitted in 2010 and got ti uch in 2012. Hope u understand. Sets here ar named by d year u cross ova to clinicals
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Dbrainiac1(m): 3:41pm On Feb 05, 2015
jozeph1:
Speaking of this your so called Glorified dentistry, as as well as the dental nursin you've mention, how many nurses have you seen or heard of speacializing in dental blh blah wateva?? None becoz its the bottom in the medical chain
its people like you who earn up working in banks and claim to have BDS and probably blame the government for unemployement
Don't even think about it
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by joebam: 5:25pm On Feb 05, 2015
pls...hw are medical students graded?.....I heard they is nothing like cgpa. and nothing like first class,second class.and so on
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Dbrainiac1(m): 5:32pm On Feb 05, 2015
lomaxx:

The books I quoted are on 4shared. They're too large to be sent over mail

The surgery textbooks I mentioned were part of the Indian Medical Largesse I sent via mail to almost everyone that requested for it.

I need em pls too sir, the surgery textbooks
samuelsimonhyera@gmail.com
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Penboy: 9:32pm On Feb 05, 2015
[size=13pt]
joebam:
pls...hw are medical students graded?.....I heard they is nothing like cgpa. and nothing like first class,second class.and so on
[/size]
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Penboy: 9:38pm On Feb 05, 2015
joebam:
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by medschoolguy: 12:34pm On Feb 06, 2015
joebam:

With due respect to my chiefs in the house, I introduce myself, first clinical year student in a Med school east of the Niger grin
joebam:

With due respect to my chiefs in the house, I introduce myself, first clinical year student in a Med school east of the Niger.

After the Pre-med year( 100 level), med student don't run semesters anymore. Therefore there can be no CGPA scale. Each course is broadly assessed by a combination of several tests end of course exams and practicals and graded into Fail < 50, Pass 50 - 70 and Distinction from 70 above.

Hope you get it now?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by joebam: 2:12pm On Feb 06, 2015
medschoolguy:

With due respect to my chiefs in the house, I introduce myself, first clinical year student in a Med school east of the Niger grin

With due respect to my chiefs in the house, I introduce myself, first clinical year student in a Med school east of the Niger.

After the Pre-med year( 100 level), med student don't run semesters anymore. Therefore there can be no CGPA scale. Each course is broadly assessed by a combination of several tests end of course exams and practicals and graded into Fail < 50, Pass 50 - 70 and Distinction from 70 above.

Hope you get it now?
...xo there is nothing like first class MBBS graduate
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by simba1: 9:08pm On Feb 06, 2015
There is!
joebam:
...xo there is nothing like first class MBBS graduate
mtcheew! After d guy answered u, u still in doubt. Mind u, u can't cross to 200l if u dnt average your 100l in med. School e.t.c
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Penboy: 11:11pm On Feb 06, 2015
medschoolguy:

Hope you get it now?
so if I averaged 70 throughout my stay in med school, how does that set my apart from my colleagues who averaged 50 after graduation?

Does it get to show in our cv?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by jjagz: 8:39am On Feb 07, 2015
Penboy:
so if I averaged 70 throughout my stay in med school, how does that set my apart from my colleagues who averaged 50 after graduation?

Does it get to show in our cv?

In every professional exam i.e MB exams you write and get above 70 in any course, you get "bragging rights" in your CV.

That said, 70 above is so almost impossible to get, it can nearly always be achieved only in pre clinicals.

However, doctors are generally judged by their ability to solve problems and not by distinctions.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Penboy: 8:56am On Feb 07, 2015
jjagz:

In every professional exam i.e MB exams you write and get above 70 in any course, you get "bragging rights" in your CV.

That said, 70 above is so almost impossible to get, it can nearly always be achieved only in pre clinicals.

However, doctors are generally judged by their ability to solve problems and not by distinctions.

@bolded. That's the punchline bro. I think I should walk with that.

@italiced. How many MB's do i get to write throughout med school?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by charleymed(m): 11:16am On Feb 07, 2015
hi people it has been a while here. hope you guys are enjoying the stress? sis aluta long time, hope to hear from you soon on how you murdered step 1, we all need to be motivated#waiting.

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by jjagz: 11:30am On Feb 07, 2015
Penboy:

@bolded. That's the punchline bro. I think I should walk with that.

@italiced. How many MB's do i get to write throughout med school?

MB after pre clinical year(Anatomy, physiology & Biochemistry), MB after first clinical year(Laboratory Medicine(made up of Histopathology, Haematology and blood tr
ansfusion, Medical Microbiology and Parasitology, Chemical Pathology) and Pharmacology), MB after 2nd clinical year(Obstetrics & gynaecology, Paediatrics). MB in final year(Internal Medicine, Surgery and Community and Family Medicine).

Long story short, four of them.

3 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by joebam: 3:18pm On Feb 07, 2015
jjagz:

MB after pre clinical year(Anatomy, physiology & Biochemistry), MB after first clinical year(Laboratory Medicine(made up of Histopathology, Haematology and blood tr
ansfusion, Medical Microbiology and Parasitology, Chemical Pathology) and Pharmacology), MB after 2nd clinical year(Obstetrics & gynaecology, Paediatrics). MB in final year(Internal Medicine, Surgery and Community and Family Medicine).

OK..now I understand... waiting for orientation by March......... wishing u success
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by otes6(m): 5:33pm On Feb 07, 2015
pls,,,if u were to recommend a single textbook for each course to a MB 2 stdnt,whc ll u recommend
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Penboy: 6:50pm On Feb 07, 2015
jjagz:

thanks. You've comments have been invaluable.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by charleymed(m): 6:58pm On Feb 07, 2015
otes6:
pls,,,if u were to recommend a single textbook for each course to a MB 2 stdnt,whc ll u recommend
physiology= human physiology by ira fox
anatomy=clinical anatomy by Richard snell
biochemistry=medical biochemistry by m.n chatterjea
embryology=clinically oriented embryology by Moore
histology=basic histology
NB:it is difficult to recommend just a book.

6 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by IkembaCMD(m): 10:42pm On Feb 08, 2015
joebam:

In 100level, you offer basic sciences i.e Physics, Chemistry and Biology in a little bit advanced form, Then your Semester scores are calculated and graded on a CGPA (5.0 usually), Then if you've met the crossing CGPA, You ascend into 200Level, which connotes the Preclinical classes where you study Anatomy, Biochemistry and Physiology... A pass mark of 50 is required in precisely all courses to promote to the next class, You may score above though, but its only a sooth to yourself, all Medical school requires is your Application mentality and consistency....
Lastly, MBBS, is an Unclassified degree, there is no first class or second or third... The Medical board may only include the courses you had Distinction in - if you do so....
God bless...
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Olarewajub: 4:58am On Feb 09, 2015
Lagusta:

Malaria: microbiology
Widal: serology
PCV: hematology
RVS: serology
Hemoglobin: hematology
Pregnancy: serology
Blood sugar: not really serology, since we dont deal with serum, but you can put it there

Hope it helps!!!!
Thought PT was a chemistry test.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Raphael9(m): 9:45pm On Feb 10, 2015
please does anyone have an idea of how long it takes to get a Bsc degree in pharmacology?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by lomaxx: 10:14pm On Feb 10, 2015
Raphael9:
please does anyone have an idea of how long it takes to get a Bsc degree in pharmacology?

4 years.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Raphael9(m): 10:55pm On Feb 10, 2015
lomaxx:

4 years.
Thanks but r u certain about this
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Ralph30: 11:52am On Feb 11, 2015
Nurses see this
Nursing Care Study of a Patient with Umbilical Hernia
http://uniprojectsearch.com/nursing-care-s…bilical-hernia/

No matter the topic of your choice, your department, once excellence is your target
visit www.uniprojectsearch.com

2 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by poshpappy(m): 11:59am On Feb 11, 2015
nice topic.....am a second year medical student of the rajiv gandhi university of health sciences, hello everyone
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by joebam: 1:04pm On Feb 11, 2015
IkembaCMD:

In 100level, you offer basic sciences i.e Physics, Chemistry and Biology in a little bit advanced form, Then your Semester scores are calculated and graded on a CGPA (5.0 usually), Then if you've met the crossing CGPA, You ascend into 200Level, which connotes the Preclinical classes where you study Anatomy, Biochemistry and Physiology... A pass mark of 50 is required in precisely all courses to promote to the next class, You may score above though, but its only a sooth to yourself, all Medical school requires is your Application mentality and consistency....
Lastly, MBBS, is an Unclassified degree, there is no first class or second or third... The Medical board may only include the courses you had Distinction in - if you do so....
God bless...
I love ur answer..others are just speaking bla bla bla without answering it for me....ur answer is clear and to the point.........wisin u success

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by IkembaCMD(m): 2:23am On Feb 12, 2015
joebam:
I love ur answer..others are just speaking bla bla bla without answering it for me....ur answer is clear and to the point.........wisin u success

Others did make good points, You just didn't see it fine...
They made nice contributions too.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by IkembaCMD(m): 2:44am On Feb 12, 2015
Mubarak1:
Great Docs and Med Students I great u all, I sat for jamb and post utme last year I got 204points and I was giving MCB in Usman Danfodio University, Sokoto. I really want 2 study medicine that's y I defer the admission and bought Danfodio Sokoto matric(Remedial Course) form, Thank God I have been admitted, Pls what method of studying should i use and how will i make it in Matric. Docs and Docs 2 b, Please Pray help and advice me on how to achieve my goal of becoming a doctor am 18, School will commence by March.Thank U.

There is only one rule in Medical School says an Old Retired Professor,

"There are no rules"...

How, this quote means You work in a way that suits you and earns you fine scores..
Work hard, Study well and Play well
Never have the thought of looking back or feel inferior, You can lead your class
Make God your Apex, You'll bask in Success and Comfort...
Medical school is not for the strong nor the intelligent, its for the Consistent...
Read through the past posts and comments also, you'll find good advice their in.

God bless

4 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Mubarak1(m): 8:28am On Feb 12, 2015
IkembaCMD:

There is only one rule in Medical School says an Old Retired Professor,

"There are no rules"...

How, this quote means You work in a way that suits you and earns you fine scores..
Work hard, Study well and Play well
Never have the thought of looking back or feel inferior, You can lead your class
Make God your Apex, You'll bask in Success and Comfort...
Medical school is not for the strong nor the intelligent, its for the Consistent...
Read through the past posts and comments also, you'll find good advice their in.

God bless
Thank you IkembaCMB, I'll try my best.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Penboy: 2:34pm On Feb 12, 2015
IkembaCMD:
are you truly a CMD??
cheesy

(1) (2) (3) ... (216) (217) (218) (219) (220) (221) (222) ... (905) (Reply)

Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016 / National Open University Of Nigeria (NOUN) Students

Viewing this topic: Kingkyle1(m)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.