Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,554 members, 7,812,772 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:04 PM

The medical students and aspirants thread - Education (242) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The medical students and aspirants thread (1826011 Views)

✿ Ambrose Alli University Ekpoma (AAU) 2016/2017 Aspirants Thread. / FUTMINNA 2015/2016 ASPIRANTS THREAD / 12 Things I Learnt From The Medical School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (239) (240) (241) (242) (243) (244) (245) ... (905) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by smartdave1: 12:09pm On Jun 17, 2015
simba1:
Hey! They are through or almost through with medic school na!what's wrong with Nairaland?

shockedshockedshocked
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Capableben(m): 12:10pm On Jun 17, 2015
[quote author=wazzidon post=12195280]Hi, am a 3rd year Medical student of UNN.[pls o, will they admit a person from TARABA state with Jamb score 0f 207, medicine surgery UNN?/quote]
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Capableben(m): 12:30pm On Jun 17, 2015
[quote author=Lagusta post=12196990]

WELCOME TO DA CLUB!!!!! I promise u will hav an unforgettable experience as u start ur journey....

Since u r a fresher, u will resume 100L studying the basic sciences I.e physics, chemistry and biology, maybe maths (we don't do maths in unilorin). Then u spend the next two years (the preclinical years) studying the basic medical sciences I.e anatomy, physiology and biochenistry. In unilorin, we also do a bit of behavioural sciences, microbiology, epidemiology and a WHO program called COBES.

Now, when u get to 400L, you will do harder basic sciences: pathology and pharmacology, but u will also be introduced to the clinical sciences: medicine surgery, paediatrics and obstetrics and gynaecology. Finally in your last two years, yow will deal with only clinical sciences, including the surgical specialties, community health and psychiatry. Making a total of 6yrs.

After graduation, u will be pre-registered into the MDCN (medical and dental council of nigeria) and start your housemanship for one full year (don't worry, u will be paid salary), then you will go for service, but be preparing to write your primaries exam, in order for u to specialize in your place of interest I.e surgery, am I correct

Well, that's that for now...[so how was your first experience with the cadavers?/quote]

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Capableben(m): 3:16pm On Jun 17, 2015
Lagusta:

WELCOME TO DA CLUB!!!!! I promise u will hav an unforgettable experience as u start ur journey....

Since u r a fresher, u will resume 100L studying the basic sciences I.e physics, chemistry and biology, maybe maths (we don't do maths in unilorin). Then u spend the next two years (the preclinical years) studying the basic medical sciences I.e anatomy, physiology and biochenistry. In unilorin, we also do a bit of behavioural sciences, microbiology, epidemiology and a WHO program called COBES.

Now, when u get to 400L, you will do harder basic sciences: pathology and pharmacology, but u will also be introduced to the clinical sciences: medicine surgery, paediatrics and obstetrics and gynaecology. Finally in your last two years, yow will deal with only clinical sciences, including the surgical specialties, community health and psychiatry. Making a total of 6yrs.

After graduation, u will be pre-registered into the MDCN (medical and dental council of nigeria) and start your housemanship for one full year (don't worry, u will be paid salary), then you will go for service, but be preparing to write your primaries exam, in order for u to specialize in your place of interest I.e surgery, am I correct

Well, that's that for now...
How was ur first Experience with Cadavers
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Capableben(m): 3:27pm On Jun 17, 2015
Lagusta:

Yeah, most of the textbooks hav soft copies, u can get them easily from ur mates...

Don't worry, God will help
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Capableben(m): 3:46pm On Jun 17, 2015
wazzidon:
Hi, am a 3rd year Medical student of UNN.
will they admit a person from TARABA with Jamb score 207 at Unn medicine??
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Chartey(m): 7:50pm On Jun 17, 2015
leyinjuege:

oh kk. loool! grin it's just cos family is in Nigeria but yeah, I'm open to other options. USMLE seems like a lot of stress tho...no, KNUST
I'm beginning to think you have a Gh passport and that u r from Kwara.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Lagusta(m): 9:28pm On Jun 17, 2015
Capableben:
How was ur first Experience with Cadavers
When I entered the cadaver lab, I stood still for a while....

The sight was horrific...

The stench was horrendous.....

You will see cadavers with centipedes crawling out of their eye sockets....

Maggots popping out as you dissect.....

And guess what, the first day I was there, I saw a lecturer eating donught beside a cadaver.....

And since then, I became a man!!!

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by leyinjuege(f): 9:58pm On Jun 17, 2015
Chartey:
I'm beginning to think you have a Gh passport and that u r from Kwara.
nooo
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by donriddo(m): 11:16pm On Jun 17, 2015
Lagusta:

And guess what, the first day I was there, I saw a lecturer eating donught beside a cadaver.....

Lwkm. My Belle ooo
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by smartdave1: 4:33am On Jun 18, 2015
Lagusta:
Good morning Doc.
Please my friend (a girl of about 19 years) checked her B.P yesterday in a med. lab. and saw that it was 130mmHg.
Please is it too high?
If yes, how can it be normalized?

Pls just say something, anything, plsss.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Lagusta(m): 4:50am On Jun 18, 2015
smartdave1:

Good morning Doc.
Please my friend (a girl of about 19 years) checked her B.P yesterday in a med. lab. and saw that it was 130mmHg.
Please is it too high?
If yes, how can it be normalized?

Pls just say something, anything, plsss.

Contact me via my signature
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Capableben(m): 10:37am On Jun 18, 2015
Lagusta:

so one should forget Medicine if he isn't man enough to stand cadavers?

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Lagusta(m): 11:05am On Jun 18, 2015
Capableben:

Yes boss

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by p2flexx(m): 11:42am On Jun 18, 2015
Lagusta:

its normal.... wen it is persistently above 140 ....u shld rush to d hospital
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Lagusta(m): 11:55am On Jun 18, 2015
p2flexx:

I know its normal, but its unexpected for that kind of patient....

That's why I said he should contact me
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Capableben(m): 12:09pm On Jun 18, 2015
Lagusta:

There are many specialties in medicine and surgery, the core ones are pathology, paediatrics, obstetrics and gynecology, medicine, surgery and community health

Pathology specialties include hematology, microbiology, histopathology, and chemical pathology

Medicine and paediatrics have the same specialties, only that paediatrics deal with children, while internal medicine deals with adults, the specialties include neurology, psychiatry, pulmonology, cardiology, gastroenterology, nephrology, and endocrinology

Obstetrics and gynecology is a major surgical specialty

Other surgical specialties include neurosurgery, cardiothoracic surgery, urology, orthopaedics, paediatric surgery, plastic surgery, and the sub-specialties I listed earlier..

Community health is a major branch of medicine....
what's community health about?

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Capableben(m): 12:14pm On Jun 18, 2015
Lagusta:

Yes boss
How long does the tearing of cadavers last
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by p2flexx(m): 12:21pm On Jun 18, 2015
Lagusta:

I know its normal, but its unexpected for that kind of patient....
That's why I said he should contact me
OK boss
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Lagusta(m): 12:54pm On Jun 18, 2015
Capableben:
How long does the tearing of cadavers last

You dissect cadavers from 200-300l....

Then you deal with living patients partly in 400l, then fully in 500 and 600l

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by vic2ry: 1:24pm On Jun 18, 2015
Capableben:

I don't think there is anyone who can't stand the sight of cadavers. We have females here standing it. Continual exposure makes 'anyone' a 'real man'. BTW, cadavers here don't have maggots or centipedes but they do stench

3 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by vic2ry: 1:32pm On Jun 18, 2015
kingjms010:
Jez lyk many oda ppl on diz thread, I also stumbled upon diz thread accidentally and av been followin it closely in d little way I can..I av read and saw with my eyes satisfactory motivations...to pursue ur dream course.. I av always loved d idea of a career in medicine since I was young... I'm also an aspiring student, and I know dat by Jehovah's willing, I will be bkom one, currently studying pure and applied biology at LAUTECH Ogbomoso at 100 level.... pls sirs, I want to ask if it will be a wise move to write jamb next year or simply go on wif dis programme, den go for direct entry? and also, as a Yoruba guy from Oyo state, do I also av d chance of gaining admission into d south-eastern universities of Nigeria as any of thr indigene candidates upon my choosing dem in Jamb? I really am a talkative...it is the excitement I guess

Omoladoke, Owo loke

2 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 1:38pm On Jun 18, 2015
Lagusta:

Lagusta, are you sure about this or you're just making fun? You've forgotten effect of Formalin(formaldehyde)...
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by vic2ry: 1:38pm On Jun 18, 2015
yungchop:
how many years is the program in gh?
I guess madgoat has clarified that
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Lagusta(m): 2:17pm On Jun 18, 2015
centje:
Lagusta, are you sure about this or you're just making fun? You've forgotten effect of Formalin(formaldehyde)...

Those lazy bones in the anatomy lab don't use enough formaldehyde...

They just spray the stuff and leave it to rot gradually....

We dissected a cadaver's cranium once, and there was no brain, just maggots.....

Oga, times have changed ooooo

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by obuksjr(m): 5:39pm On Jun 18, 2015
p2flexx:
Sustained systolic BP of 130 is not normal,that is even a benchmark to declare a diabetic patient hypertensive.She must have been in prehypertensive state if that BP has been persitent in that range and hence calls for a worry.The underlying cause must be ascertained for a lady at that age and proper management should be given.

GOOD RESOLUTIONS ARE LIKE BABIES CRYING IN THE CHURCH;THEY SHOULD BE CARRIED OUT IMMEDIATELY

Charles M. Sheldon

2 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by kingjms010(m): 6:37pm On Jun 18, 2015
vic2ry:

Omoladoke, Owo loke
Awa ni yen o
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by ikevin(m): 7:23pm On Jun 18, 2015
Lagusta:

@Lagusta, mind moving some stuff for the house to appreciate. I just finished reading CVS (physiology), it would be nice you giving your posits here. It would go a long way in cementing the info. Looking forward to your inputs.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by smartdave1: 7:51pm On Jun 18, 2015
Lagusta:

Thank you boss!
I'm grateful.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by bi0nics: 8:03pm On Jun 18, 2015
Lagusta:

Those lazy bones in the anatomy lab don't use enough formaldehyde...

They just spray the stuff and leave it to rot gradually....

We dissected a cadaver's cranium once, and there was no brain, just maggots.....

Oga, times have changed ooooo
Can you 0lease brief me what medicine nd sugery is all about..im an aspirant..will be writing p.ume in ui soon
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Lagusta(m): 8:23pm On Jun 18, 2015
bi0nics:

Can you 0lease brief me what medicine nd sugery is all about..im an aspirant..will be writing p.ume in ui soon

How much will you give me if I do that.... wink

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by bi0nics: 9:22pm On Jun 18, 2015
Lagusta:

How much will you give me if I do that.... wink
Br0s abeq o..biko

(1) (2) (3) ... (239) (240) (241) (242) (243) (244) (245) ... (905) (Reply)

Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016 / National Open University Of Nigeria (NOUN) Students

Viewing this topic: lenghtinny(m)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.