Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,034 members, 7,818,055 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:08 AM

The medical students and aspirants thread - Education (493) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The medical students and aspirants thread (1833314 Views)

✿ Ambrose Alli University Ekpoma (AAU) 2016/2017 Aspirants Thread. / FUTMINNA 2015/2016 ASPIRANTS THREAD / 12 Things I Learnt From The Medical School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (490) (491) (492) (493) (494) (495) (496) ... (905) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Adebunmiemmy(m): 1:29pm On Nov 30, 2017
Infamous:
Congratulations. Have you been writing since 2013?
Yes boss!
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Adebunmiemmy(m): 1:30pm On Nov 30, 2017
profolaafe:
Congrats bro,I was also admitted. Will u mind sharing ur facebook id
Adebunmi Oluwafemi Emmanuel
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Infamous(m): 4:04pm On Nov 30, 2017
Adebunmiemmy:

Yes boss!
wow. you really deserve the admission. were you admitted into another course of study?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by sk2p(m): 4:19pm On Nov 30, 2017
Good day fellow medics,
please i just finished ijmb and had 14points.
am a deltan and although i already applied to uniabuja
I had 2Bs and 3Cs in waec
am still worried of the admission process.
any hope as information or advice would really be appreciated.
Most especially on d cut off points and how it's calculated.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by bethedoski(m): 10:26pm On Nov 30, 2017
IRWSBE:
PLEASE, IS THERE ANY SENIOR MEDIC ( 400 LEVEL -) AT UNILORIN IN HERE. I HAVE FEW QUESTIONS ,PLEASE.

Shoot...
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 10:28pm On Nov 30, 2017
bethedoski:

Shoot...

Hello everyone. Please, I want to ask a question. Do the college of medicine lecturers in university tell students which textbooks to read?
Thanks for your reply in advance.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by bethedoski(m): 10:31pm On Nov 30, 2017
GdexFolami:
Hmmmmmmmm
Let me share my testimony too ,I wanted to keep calm but no it's just ruffling through my tummy .
I have been following this thread since 2015 ,then I read the pages of the group from 0 till date ,the active times of Dr Laguda ,drgboy ,lomaxx, mentorandfriend and so on .
All thanks to those pple for their unleaving words of motivation ,they somehow helped me till this day .
But c'mon I made it at last ,I have been admitted to study medicine and surgery in the university of Ilorin on Sunday!.
Cheers to the doctors ,old medical students and we the newbies of the prestigious medical family .
May we sought higher and higher in this profession ,the sky is our starting point .
And to the upcoming ones ,note these two quotes ......
"Motivation is what makes you start whereas habit and consistency is what keep you going"
" No dream is too big and no dreamer is too small"
#teamMBBS

Lovely... greater heights I pray you. Welcome!

All these testimonies are refreshing... really glad for y'all!
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by bethedoski(m): 10:43pm On Nov 30, 2017
Zhinurayn17:
Hello here.. Am happy to join this compromising thread.. Actually I am a medical aspirant.. But due to my scores o had to switch to physiology.. I had 262 in jamb and 68% in jamb.. So people told me to switch that if I get admitted with physiology I'll be able to switch to medicine and surgery.. That's in unilorin.. So I want to ask for the requirements to switch to medicine from other medical courses.. And does the change take place after the first semester or after the end of year 1..
Ill appreciate good answers..

OK... You made the right choice by switching to physiology. It is very possible to crossover from anatomy and physiology in unilorin, actually it's a norm.
The requirements is simple... The best 10 students in each of the aforementioned departments automatically cross to 200L medicine.
The crossing takes place after year 1.

PS: It is an extremely competitive exercise as you would be contesting for these spots with over 300 students in each departments...!

Am a product of the system too... SO YOU CAN DO IT!!!

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Hardeboi580(m): 8:10am On Dec 01, 2017
Hello bosses...
I'm a young chap here who just got admitted to UI this year to study Bio/Medical laboratory Science... I hope I'm welcomed here....

By the way, I've got a question to ask and I'll kindly appreciate if I can get an answer as soon as possible...

Please what is the relationship or difference between Medical laboratory science and Biomedical laboratory science...??

How many years is the program in UI??
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by sk2p(m): 8:27am On Dec 01, 2017
sk2p:
Good day fellow medics,
please i just finished ijmb and had 14points.
am a deltan and although i already applied to uniabuja
I had 2Bs and 3Cs in waec
am still worried of the admission process.
any hope as information or advice would really be appreciated.
Most especially on d cut off points and how it's calculated.

Pls some one should atleast give me an insight am a medical aspirant too.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by sk2p(m): 8:34am On Dec 01, 2017
Also I would want to know what's d cut off point for direct entry to medicine in unilorin for Ijmb.

Meanwhile congrats to all d new med students in d house. Wish you all d best

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by olumose001(m): 12:00pm On Dec 01, 2017
Shekstatari:
I trust you
Hehehe, I'll try my best.. your prayer is sha needed..
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by sk2p(m): 12:23pm On Dec 01, 2017
sk2p:
Also I would want to know what's d cut off point for direct entry to medicine in unilorin for Ijmb.

Meanwhile congrats to all d new med students in d house. Wish you all d best

Well I was told d cut of for medicine in uniabuja is 75%

And d calculation for de students is just d points in d de form divided by 16*100

Either ways my % is 79% with waec and 88% with only my jamb de points.

Still need clarity though
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by GdexFolami(m): 12:59pm On Dec 01, 2017
bethedoski:

Lovely... greater heights I pray you. Welcome!

All these testimonies are refreshing... really glad for y'all!
thanks bro
Amen
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Brukx(m): 7:06am On Dec 02, 2017
body heat is maintained by signaling the mitochondria to allow protons to run back along the gradient without producing ATP . How do infants carryout this uncoupling with the aid of brown adipose tissues
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by hagiosfemi(m): 11:36am On Dec 02, 2017
how will you treat a patient in a bus with alkalosis due to hypocalcemia when you far from hospital? a friend was asked in physiology distinction viva
passed my first mb, now path pharm, thank God

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by hagiosfemi(m): 11:37am On Dec 02, 2017
Brukx:
body heat is maintained by signaling the mitochondria to allow protons to run back along the gradient without producing ATP . How do infants carryout this uncoupling with the aid of brown adipose tissues

never read this part well, I know that brown fat have mitochondria, thermogenesis uncoupling mechanism.. elucidate

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by cisca2001(f): 12:52pm On Dec 02, 2017
Please could anyone help me with the curriculum for 100level medical students?

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Drguzzykola(m): 2:59pm On Dec 02, 2017
Brukx:

the little I still remember

infant has brown adipose tissue with special thermogenin in their mitochondria that regulate entry of proton which burn its own lipid to release heat .

Fuel iyaf dry,

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by gr8virus(m): 3:08pm On Dec 03, 2017
lomaxx:

The only books I bought there are:

1) Norman Browse
2) Falase (big and small)

The rest were downloaded from the World Wide Web into a tablet. Depends on whether you are a hard copy or soft copy person.

Apart from the prices, most of them are not available in Nigeria. If you're good to go with soft copy, I'll guide you to where you can download all of them.

For HistoPathology, start with Pathology secrets. For Microbiology, get Clinical Microbiology made Ridiculously Simple(I forgot this one. Played a pivot role in my MCB successes). For Chemical Pathology, Primer would do. Hoffbrand would do for Hematology.

For Pharm, start with USMLE Pharm. if you graze your foundation with this one, I won't be surprised if you have a distinction in Pharm.

You need to know your signs and symptoms, this is where I recommend Alagappan instead of Hutchinson. It has a more tropical perspective.

Buy Norman Browse, it's gonna cover the lapses made by Alagappan.

You need a guide. I can give you course outlines in each of everything to start studying. Drop your mail.

Good afternoon chief.
Where can I download this book. Abeg help your boy.

Cc lomaxx
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by godstimemacaulay(m): 4:25pm On Dec 03, 2017
Drguzzykola:

infant has brown adipose tissue with special thermogenin in their mitochondria that regulate entry of proton which burn its own lipid to release heat .

Fuel iyaf dry,
guzzy d great

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Brukx(m): 4:43pm On Dec 03, 2017
Drguzzykola:

Fuel iyaf dry,
Exactly, thermogenin inhibits oxidative phosphorylation therefore energy is converted to heat instead of ATP synthesis

2 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by ultron12345: 8:49pm On Dec 03, 2017
pls can anyone help me with part 1 MB past questions or any anatomy,physiology and biochem mcq and essay questions in pdf
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by IRWSBE: 9:08pm On Dec 03, 2017
bethedoski:

Shoot...

Doc. Good evening,

I applied for the recent inter university transfer to study medicine at Unilorin having completed my 2nd MB professional exam in another university. Are the chances very high to continue from 400 level in Uniform?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Seunsoul: 1:01am On Dec 05, 2017
Please do udusokoto accept two sittings for medicine and surgery
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Seunsoul: 1:02am On Dec 05, 2017
Please do usman danfodio university accept 2sittings for Medicine...
olumose001:
Usman danfodiyo university 200 level pre-mbbs result.. 141 seat for the exam, 55 promoted to 300level, 67 to repeat 200level, 17 to withdraw, 2 withheld results...
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Seunsoul: 1:05am On Dec 05, 2017
Jamb commence 2018 registration on the 6th of DEC ....all aspirants for medicine and surgery should join this group https:///https:///GdeyxoYx31V4ubXpgTpFJsor text 08035725341 to join now
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Seunsoul: 1:07am On Dec 05, 2017
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by inspirational93: 1:19am On Dec 05, 2017
click this link to download free educational course materials on any topic
http://viwright.com/4as2
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Richohm(m): 3:31am On Dec 05, 2017
just got admitted for dentistry...
obafemi awolowo university. it's all by the grace of God...

5 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Drguzzykola(m): 7:46am On Dec 05, 2017
hagiosfemi:
how will you treat a patient in a bus with alkalosis due to hypocalcemia when you far from hospital? a friend was asked in physiology distinction viva
passed my first mb, now path pharm, thank God
Congrat bro..

hmm, this kind question sha,
lemme try.. cool

patient develop alkalosis due to hypocalcemia,
first is how will I know he suffers from hypocalcemia in a bus,

1. patient start to develop signs and symptoms like flapping of hand(flexing of metacapophalangeal joint and d wrist joint , extension of interphalangeal joint)
2. inspiration during breath gives some sound @larygospasm
due to low calcium leading neurologycal defect
if hypocalcemia is taken care of , his PH goes back to normal and alkalosis is solved.

solving hypocalcemia

Causes...

1. Patient has hypoparathyroidism thus lacking P.T.Hormone making him unable to absorb dietary calcium in G.I .T, Bone
how to increase this( I cover face , I no know am as i never do pharmacology)
2. vitamin D is not longer manufactured coming from d skin due to the reason of no 1 above which is needed to get active form of vit D 3..
3. Renal no longer absorb calcium due to reason in no 1 too

question of what will I do before taking to hospital cheesy
1. I ll tell driver to stop and let the patient be in d sun maybe manufacture from d sun can help small with little/low PTH he ll b having grin
lemme cover face here. cool
2. I ll order for milk products since they contain good /consumable amount of calcium (that if patient has no lactose intolerance but all things equal) and same time get a vitamin D supplement in a nearby chemist as this ll help him absorb calcium present in the milk , at least with this i av increase his calcium level which is my immediate goal
3. Then tell d driver to put on his emergency light and start rushing d patient to a nearby clinic

Although I know d examiner will b looking at me like somehow somhow but I go shun grin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Hardebaryor(m): 9:16am On Dec 05, 2017
Hardeboi580:
Hello bosses...
I'm a young chap here who just got admitted to UI this year to study Bio/Medical laboratory Science... I hope I'm welcomed here....

By the way, I've got a question to ask and I'll kindly appreciate if I can get an answer as soon as possible...

Please what is the relationship or difference between Medical laboratory science and Biomedical laboratory science...??

How many years is the program in UI??
Staff!!!

(1) (2) (3) ... (490) (491) (492) (493) (494) (495) (496) ... (905) (Reply)

Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016 / National Open University Of Nigeria (NOUN) Students

Viewing this topic: 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.