Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,224 members, 7,818,767 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:26 AM

Arrested In USA No Conviction Should I Tick Yes Or No ? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Arrested In USA No Conviction Should I Tick Yes Or No ? (4170 Views)

Two Ghanaians Arrested In Amsterdam For Pounding Fufu In Their Flat On 7th Floor / Is This Really Nigeria? If Yes Pls Which Part Of The Country?m Wondering(photo) / Usa No 1 Enemy Of Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Arrested In USA No Conviction Should I Tick Yes Or No ? by Excellentman: 10:46pm On Sep 15, 2012
Dear justwise, I'm a constant reader on this forum and I really appreciate how ur advice had helped many . Seriously I need ur help. I had my first USA visa back in 2010 and I had these Ghana who used to load container for me. So on my second trip, before I travel I bought some goods and I gave them money for freight shipping, but to my utmost surprised they didn't pay the shipping company intime and I have other goods to be ship. So I left to USA again on the 2nd trip to check what is going on. Based of what they did. They were avoiding me. The only place I can track them to was the warehouse. On this fateful day after pleading with them we now fixed appointment to meet at the warehouse. To cut the story short police bursted the warehouse and took every1 away I was question and fingerprinted. But the second day the let us all go without no bail nor anything I ask if I'm free to go the police said yes no case with me. Now
My question , I wanted to renew my visa. Should I tick yes or No where they asked if arrested/convicted?
Please help
Re: Arrested In USA No Conviction Should I Tick Yes Or No ? by blasterman(m): 6:41am On Sep 16, 2012
U were a suspected criminal so u need to be careful of ur movements. If you were not taken to court and asked to leave then ur answer is no but if ur were taken to court and pronouced guilty of an offence then u were convicted and ur answer is yes. So ur ans is no unless you not said everything
Re: Arrested In USA No Conviction Should I Tick Yes Or No ? by justwise(m): 7:14am On Sep 16, 2012
Excellentman: Dear justwise, I'm a constant reader on this forum and I really appreciate how ur advice had helped many . Seriously I need ur help. I had my first USA visa back in 2010 and I had these Ghana who used to load container for me. So on my second trip, before I travel I bought some goods and I gave them money for freight shipping, but to my utmost surprised they didn't pay the shipping company intime and I have other goods to be ship. So I left to USA again on the 2nd trip to check what is going on. Based of what they did. They were avoiding me. The only place I can track them to was the warehouse. On this fateful day after pleading with them we now fixed appointment to meet at the warehouse. To cut the story short police bursted the warehouse and took every1 away I was question and fingerprinted. But the second day the let us all go without no bail nor anything I ask if I'm free to go the police said yes no case with me. Now
My question , I wanted to renew my visa. Should I tick yes or No where they asked if arrested/convicted?
Please help

Its very important that you ticket yes then explained what happened, since you were not charged for any offence you have nothing to worry about but you were arrested and your fingerprint taken, that is what you need to explain....why you were arrested or what you were doing at the warehouse that led to your arrested.
Re: Arrested In USA No Conviction Should I Tick Yes Or No ? by justwise(m): 7:18am On Sep 16, 2012
blasterman: U were a suspected criminal so u need to be careful of ur movements. If you were not taken to court and asked to leave then ur answer is no but if ur were taken to court and pronouced guilty of an offence then u were convicted and ur answer is yes. So ur ans is no unless you not said everything

Since his fingerprint was taken in connection to that incident its important that he tick yes and explain it, being arrested is not an offence but the reason why you were arrested is what matters.
Re: Arrested In USA No Conviction Should I Tick Yes Or No ? by Excellentman: 7:32am On Sep 16, 2012
justwise:

Since his fingerprint was taken in connection to that incident its important that he tick yes and explain it, being arrested is not an offence but the reason why you were arrested is what matters.
[quote author=justwise]

@blasterman. thank you for your quick response, That is all i have nothing to hide, this is part of my life experience and need help why should i hide anything, Even that day at the police station their Attorney came and questioned me , I was asked to go that no case even not to report. Cause i told them im a visitor not staying in USA the Warehouse i was arrested belong to those Ghana guys. They is where they do loading container. I guess the police hard some information about they warehouse of something.

@justwise. Actually i have made my mind up to tick yes , But going thru some forums, i noticed some peeps that had the same problem once you tick yes you are automatically Denied Visa , Some ay America dont ever was to give you a second chance, There Some1 that tick yes got denied and some1 with serious crime didn't tick yes and got visa .. So right now I'm little confuse not to go and give myself up to the Consular. I also read if you tick yes , Consular would like to see your arrested paper.. Brother I got no paper to show , Nothing was given to me.
Re: Arrested In USA No Conviction Should I Tick Yes Or No ? by Excellentman: 7:33am On Sep 16, 2012
blasterman: U were a suspected criminal so u need to be careful of ur movements. If you were not taken to court and asked to leave then ur answer is no but if ur were taken to court and pronouced guilty of an offence then u were convicted and ur answer is yes. So ur ans is no unless you not said everything

@blasterman. thank you for your quick response, That is all i have nothing to hide, this is part of my life experience and need help why should i hide anything, Even that day at the police station their Attorney came and questioned me , I was asked to go that no case even not to report. Cause i told them im a visitor not staying in USA the Warehouse i was arrested belong to those Ghana guys. They is where they do loading container. I guess the police hard some information about they warehouse of something.
Re: Arrested In USA No Conviction Should I Tick Yes Or No ? by Vicjustice: 7:54am On Sep 16, 2012
I will really recommends that people refrain from giving "advice" based on their opinions rather than what they know is in the book. Please, if you are not certain of an answer, then don't give it: what you've just advised him to do is extremely dangerous and will get him a LIFE BAN from the USA
Re: Arrested In USA No Conviction Should I Tick Yes Or No ? by Vicjustice: 8:13am On Sep 16, 2012
You have been brought to the attention of the US police and your finger prints were taken as a record to that even though you were released without charge...
Now, the question is:
"Have you ever been arrested?" The answer is YES.
"Convicted?" NO.
"Reason?" You explain.
It will be utterly silly to say "NO" when your finger prints were taken: the visa officer may consider you deceptive and get you banned for life. Be warned.
Re: Arrested In USA No Conviction Should I Tick Yes Or No ? by Excellentman: 8:19am On Sep 16, 2012
Vicjustice:
I will really recommends that people refrain from giving "advice" based on their opinions rather than what they know is in the book. Please, if you are not certain of an answer, then don't give it: what you've just advised him to do is extremely dangerous and will get him a LIFE BAN from the USA

Thanks you for ur contribution, Really I'm totally confused right now , If i tick yes, I will be denied, if i tick no I will still be Denied or Ban if they noticed. But right now my problem , I can not verbally Explain details to Consular. I m not given any Arrested Paper. PLEASE HOUSE HELP ME WHAT SHOULD I DO.
Re: Arrested In USA No Conviction Should I Tick Yes Or No ? by Vicjustice: 8:30am On Sep 16, 2012
Excellentman:

Thanks you for ur contribution, Really I'm totally confused right now , If i tick yes, I will be denied, if i tick no I will still be Denied or Ban if they noticed. But right now my problem , I can not verbally Explain details to Consular. I m not given any Arrested Paper. PLEASE HOUSE HELP ME WHAT SHOULD I DO.
You are getting it all wrong here, you can not be denied a visa because you happened to be controlled by the Police in your last visit, that can happen to anyone: it is a different story if you were arrested for reason of offence.
I myself have been controlled before by police in different countries, but that does not in any way affect my statutory rights or credibility. Not at all.
Re: Arrested In USA No Conviction Should I Tick Yes Or No ? by justwise(m): 8:37am On Sep 16, 2012
@Excellentman

Let me make this comment and will not reply on this topic again....

Your case is not a serious one but you can make it one by ticking No, just like Vicjustice has clearly explained to you....have you been arrested by US police? Yes then explain why you were arrested.

The US embassy will not automatically refused you a visa because you ticked yes, because you did not commit any offence, you were arrested and released without charge.

They will only refuse you a visa if you were charged for the crime.

Its silly to say No when you were arrested and your fingerprint taken.

Good luck.
Re: Arrested In USA No Conviction Should I Tick Yes Or No ? by Bossman(m): 2:42pm On Sep 16, 2012
How is the question stated? If they are 2 separate questions - one for arrested and one for convicted, you should certainly check Yes for arrested and No for convicted. If it's one question asking if you were arrested and convicted, you should choose No. They took your finger print, to see if it matches any of their records. You probably do not have have a US drivers license or SSN for them to check, so they had to take your fingerprint. Once they figured there was nothing on your record, they let you go. You should be fine. Best of luck!
Re: Arrested In USA No Conviction Should I Tick Yes Or No ? by lillaowow(m): 4:55pm On Sep 16, 2012
Bossman: How is the question stated? If they are 2 separate questions - one for arrested and one for convicted, you should certainly check Yes for arrested and No for convicted. If it's one question asking if you were arrested and convicted, you should choose No. They took your finger print, to see if it matches any of their records. You probably do not have have a US drivers license or SSN for them to check, so they had to take your fingerprint. Once they figured there was nothing on your record, they let you go. You should be fine. Best of luck!
Re: Arrested In USA No Conviction Should I Tick Yes Or No ? by FASTLINK1: 7:26pm On Sep 16, 2012
Hi, the question goes like this,"Have you ever been arrested or convicted for any offense or crime, even though subject of a pardon, amnesty, or other similar action?

So, have you ever been arrested for any offense or crime?
If yes then explain.

What I failed to understand here is if it was for any offense or crime.

If a crime was committed and you were wrongly arrested, thick yes and explain but if there was no offense or crime and been simply interrogated by a police then thick NO. and if thought otherwise and asked, then explain.

Cheer!
Re: Arrested In USA No Conviction Should I Tick Yes Or No ? by Vicjustice: 9:49pm On Sep 16, 2012
FAST-LINK:
Hi, the question goes like this,"Have you ever been arrested or convicted for any offense or crime, even though subject of a pardon, amnesty, or other similar action?

So, have you ever been arrested for any offense or crime?
If yes then explain.
What I failed to understand here is if it was for any offense or crime.

If a crime was committed and you were wrongly arrested, thick yes and explain but if there was no offense or crime and been simply interrogated by a police then thick NO. and if thought otherwise and asked then explain.

Cheer!
What kept you from revealing this details for so long, had you given the complete question, we would have suggested the appropriate answer, but you presented the question in out-of-context phrase and you got that inapplicable answer.
Now that you have made it clear, your answer should be NO because, you weren't arrested for any offence nor were you convicted
Re: Arrested In USA No Conviction Should I Tick Yes Or No ? by Excellentman: 11:50pm On Sep 16, 2012
Vicjustice:
What kept you from revealing this details for so long, had you given the complete question, we would have suggested the appropriate answer, but you presented the question in out-of-context phrase and you got that inapplicable answer.
Now that you have made it clear, your answer should be NO because, you weren't arrested for any offence nor were you convicted

@fastlink thank u for ur advice. This is what I'm trying to reach out. I was not arrested for any crime. I was just being taking to the police station interrogated and during the questioning they finger printed me may be to check if I had any crime . Then I told them I'm just a visitor . And I was let go next day . Because it was getting to night when the insider happened. Even they wanted to realize me that night but I don't know my way around so my friend came to pick me. Like I said earlier I was not giving any arrest paper. Nothing just questioning and I was freed to go. Thanks every1 that gives there advises I really appreciates you all. God bless u!
Re: Arrested In USA No Conviction Should I Tick Yes Or No ? by FASTLINK1: 2:26pm On Sep 18, 2012
Excellentman:

@fastlink thank u for ur advice. This is what I'm trying to reach out. I was not arrested for any crime. I was just being taking to the police station interrogated and during the questioning they finger printed me may be to check if I had any crime . Then I told them I'm just a visitor . And I was let go next day . Because it was getting to night when the insider happened. Even they wanted to realize me that night but I don't know my way around so my friend came to pick me. Like I said earlier I was not giving any arrest paper. Nothing just questioning and I was freed to go. Thanks every1 that gives there advises I really appreciates you all. God bless u!
You are welcome buddy, go in peace and have nothing to do with Ghanaian Riffraff againgrin

(1) (Reply)

Polar Vortex: This Is What Happens When You Surf In -30°C (Photos) / Irony:Americans Are Moving To Mexico But Mexicans Don't Want Them(photos) / Yuletide: LASG Says Law Banning Boat Operations After 7pm Is Still In Place

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.