Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,434 members, 7,836,738 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 12:06 PM

Broke Professional Webmaster: Should I Change Career? - Webmasters (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Broke Professional Webmaster: Should I Change Career? (7526 Views)

I'm In Need Of A Professional Webmaster/web Developer Within Abeokuta Urgently! / A Professional Webmaster Service Is Needed! / I'm In Need Of A Professional Webmaster/web Developer Within Ibadan Urgently! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Broke Professional Webmaster: Should I Change Career? by winexviv: 9:40pm On Sep 19, 2012
I've really learnt a lot from most of your advice's i got today. I think i can now see where i'm getting things wrong and i need to step up so fast. I know i can code virtually everything that has to do with website development. I have strong knowledge and experience on HTML5, CSS3, PHP, MYSQL, AJAX, JQUERY, JAVASCRIPT and FIREWORKS. I will have to put in practice the suggestions i have gotten already and will be so grateful if more new ideas come up because i believe a lot of people have been blessed also with this post and its comment. God Bless
Re: Broke Professional Webmaster: Should I Change Career? by akintayo1(m): 11:35pm On Sep 19, 2012
hello brother,i see this in very different angle,ask me why?if you can put up such great skill why not sit down and think on how you can market your skill to a large more targeted crowd.i.e put up a blog where you gives useful tutorials on how to become a professional developer like you.if your visitors see that you preach what you're doing they would become loyal to your blog from there you can even package your skill in any digital format and sell it at any giving price.make more money from the traffic you're generating with ads.i bet you when some later approach you for web designer he or she would be begging you to collect his money,because you don't need a demo to show, they already seen your work in action.i rest here.think about it! p.s if bill gates with all the knowledge, has to be doing freelance work he would not be in the top 500,000 millionaira. BE YOUR OWN "BOSS"
Re: Broke Professional Webmaster: Should I Change Career? by web2X: 5:19am On Sep 20, 2012
Thanks to those that made great comments, i've learnt alot.
Re: Broke Professional Webmaster: Should I Change Career? by lanrei(m): 6:27am On Sep 20, 2012
pls tell me
Re: Broke Professional Webmaster: Should I Change Career? by REMMEI(m): 6:32am On Sep 20, 2012
OH YE WEBMASTERS AND PROGRAMMERS IN THE HOUSE..AM AT THY FEET..THIS'S A YOUNG LAD WANTING TA BE LIKE YOU AND WANNA TAKE THIS AS A PROFESSIONAL CAREER..HOW DO I MAKE IT UP TA YOU?..AND IF THERE'S ANY PROFESSIONAL CAREER YOU COULD ADVICE ME TA INDULG MASELF IN PLEASE DO ADVICE ME..I SERIOUSLY NEED UR HELP..THY HELP IS ALL I NEED..YOUR ADVICES WILL ALSO DO ME LOADS OF GOOD..THANKZ
Re: Broke Professional Webmaster: Should I Change Career? by Nobody: 6:34am On Sep 20, 2012
KingOfNairaland: Only MAD ppl laughs when nothing seems to be funny. Now tell us, what's funny in this? Ode!
...and only a mad man is worried when a fellow mad man laughs for no reason
Re: Broke Professional Webmaster: Should I Change Career? by spendogram: 11:17am On Sep 20, 2012
Thank you all for the interesting discourse. I will like to add that this is not peculiar to web development. It seems it is a disease with engineering or all creative technical works. Most times those in such fields focus too much on their creative technical skills and forget the people and business skills. If you set out to be a web developer why cry that you are not making the kind of money that a business man should make? Fact is that for those in creative technical jobs to succeed in business they will have to partner with other people in other fields who work better at making things work together. It is not just about your creative technical skills.

You should note that the method is already being used to a great degree of success in the music industry. Some people are good at song writing, some are good at singing,some are good at producing, some at selling and some at managing time,etc They all come together to give us our favorite songs. How much do you think a freelance musician will make?

3 Likes

Re: Broke Professional Webmaster: Should I Change Career? by pak: 11:30am On Sep 20, 2012
spendogram: Thank you all for the interesting discourse. I will like to add that this is not peculiar to web development. It seems it is a disease with engineering or all creative technical works. Most times those in such fields focus too much on their creative technical skills and forget the people and business skills. If you set out to be a web developer why cry that you are not making the kind of money that a business man should make? Fact is that for those in creative technical jobs to succeed in business they will have to partner with other people in other fields who work better at making things work together. It is not just about your creative technical skills.

You should note that the method is already being used to a great degree of success in the music industry. Some people are good at song writing, some are good at singing,some are good at producing, some at selling and some at managing time,etc They all come together to give us our favorite songs. How much do you think a freelance musician will make?

You are a truly wise man !

May I ask what you do for a living ?

1 Like

Re: Broke Professional Webmaster: Should I Change Career? by expertfingers(m): 11:53am On Sep 20, 2012
winexviv: Good day everyone.
I'm a professional webmaster with over 4 years in active experience coding several websites and also a programming assistance to several people and firms.
The sad thing is that i work as a freelancer to several BIg companies but i'm still very broke. Most times people think i'm a millionaire in dollars because of the type of work i do but within myself i know i am not close to that.
My agents keep promising to pay while i handle big jobs but i cant see the pay coming. I'm thinking whether to pic up an entirely different career so i can afford to live a comfortable life. Pls kindly advice

Getting broke is not about what you do, you can get broke in any career...even nations(Nigeria inclusive) get broke and
had to borrow money.

However getting broke is more common to a freelancer, it does not matter if you are using .NET or Java or Erlang! I have met
guys who do only Joomla and are doing real good. As a full-time freelancer, sometimes you make out like a bandit with a successful bank robbery(money flowing from everywhere), then suddenly things can go dry.

What you need to stay afloat is good
1.financial management and business acumen.
2. Right people, right timing and right projects.

Having said all that, you are already in a fix and you need a quick fix. A man that is thirsty does not need to learn the fundamentals
of thirst but water. You need right now is job or a project with a down payment. Once you have that, you can start applying
the economic principles on this thread.

Kudos to those that have given you offers, they are the real heroes here.
Re: Broke Professional Webmaster: Should I Change Career? by mrperfect(m): 3:48pm On Sep 20, 2012
I see people doing website N10, 000 or N20, 000 if you fall into this category Raise you price.
Re: Broke Professional Webmaster: Should I Change Career? by Nobody: 7:58pm On Sep 20, 2012
mrperfect: I see people doing website N10, 000 or N20, 000 if you fall into this category Raise you price.
I sir - minimum wage coder.
Re: Broke Professional Webmaster: Should I Change Career? by guru01(m): 9:37pm On Sep 20, 2012
@all,
Thank you for all advice and ideas shared, you have touched a very vital issue for me in particular.
Re: Broke Professional Webmaster: Should I Change Career? by Repnaija2010: 7:34am On Sep 21, 2012
u nid 2 add a bite 2 d bizness angle to ur profession.it seems u ar ovalukin sum ethics of biznes nd ur clients hv noticed nd hv ther4 taken advntage of it.u nid a solid hert to suced in biznes,sum clients nids 2 b treatd wit iron fists b4 dey cooperate.try 2 b tough atimes.
Re: Broke Professional Webmaster: Should I Change Career? by sisqology(m): 8:27am On Oct 17, 2012
Its not only you! I've thought about it many times, but the passion I've ƒσя it won't let me change career

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Facebook IS Back Online But Not 100% - Mike Schroepfer / Hacking: How To Back Up Your Wordpress Site To Google Drive And Restore Easily / PROMO! PROMO!! Get A Professional & Affordable Website: ANY BUSINESS... (#15k)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.