Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,489 members, 7,823,135 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 03:39 AM

What The Challenges You Have Faced In The Movie World? - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / What The Challenges You Have Faced In The Movie World? (1068 Views)

3 Idiots: Have You Seen The Movie? Please, Share Your Lessons! / Best Couple in the Nigerian Movie World? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

What The Challenges You Have Faced In The Movie World? by richyodilu(m): 5:54am On Jan 12, 2008
My foray into the entertainment world has been very challenging, tasking, has been one of patience, they have been trying but I have never remained stagnat (God forbids), but it has been very fulfilling , this is what I breath and while doing my NYSC I continued with phenomenal results. I am convinced that I am one of those who will take the movie industry in Nigerian and entertainment in this country to another level , higher, a legendary one,

My Challenges : I have always wanted to be a movie star, the dream is not yet aborted, it can't be. Above all a legendary producer/director - that is what Mel Gibson is turning into, think of Steven Spelbierg and Coppola. I started out from the stage, acted in the national theatre and other stages and got peanuts, always looking for audition notices, and just for peanuts, that was like 8 yrs ago, I have directed some stage plays myself, I have written some myself, and those yrs I swear I was desperate, more than those desperate housewives that I told a movie producer I was willing to act for free, and he was gracious to dash me four hundred naira, I was lucky to get a major role I merited and the producers (two young chaps in the industry) were beggging me for a cheap fee, with promises of an increase in fee if the movie becomes a blockbluster , and still a part of me was very happy, and would have been happy even I was not paid for it. The sad story is we started the shoot and till date never finished it. I in my moments of over ambitiousness met an upcoming producer who read one of my scripts and pretended it had little substance, only for a neighbour of his that has been watching my innocence call me aside and told me to grab my script and run as fast as I could without looking back because the producer was always happy about the beauty of the script behind me. The good news - I grabbed my script before you could say Jack Robinson, and the sad tale is that he already stole a thing or two from it.

Not giving up I joined a drama troupe that was rekking in money but the overrall producer, a Radio on air personality, did not flinch while we did slave labour for him and got promises that never materialized, at least some of us got paid 200 naira and others got fried fish and garri. Still determined I went into serious church drama acting and rose through the rank till I became the director general, at least if I was going to be a free giver, it should be in the church, but I took church acting to another level and it was like going to the theatre to watch a blockbuster movie and I got recommendations left, right, centre, from everywhere. Then I got the opportunity to direct a musical video and it was tug of war between me and the Director of Photography who felt I was a green horn to direct him and he destroyed the story board - I realized it was hunger that made him discovered that talent of his, till date I do not list that as part of my resumee.

In this journey I met people like Alex Lopez, I hated her snubbish attitude, Steph Nora, Ayo Adesanya, Ramsey Noah, Olu Jacobs. Well, everywhere I went to no one could deny I had plenty and very strong talents yet the dream was growing bigger and I wondered if that was what they meant by SACRIFACE or PAYING OF DUES, well I got past that face, and finally got this stage contract that was superbly sponsored and I was sure to make huge cash from it. The play was very abstract and on the day of the command performance, only one person showed up, that was because our advert made us look like Bakassi Bois, and some people said they could not afford the ticket. Well, that was when I prodded myself, and told myself the home truth - I was going through the hormonal phase of puberty.

I jejeli went and faced my books and graciously with heads high gained admission into one of the best universities in the world (yeah), and that was when everything I ever struggled for started coming to me with ease - countless big stage roles, movie and soap opera roles, became and editor for three different magazines, became consultants, became a celebrity on campus and was well respected - when I has stopped being desperate and had discovered everything good comes to those who wait. I dined and wined with the high and mighty, but the money was yet to surface. Simply put, I was enjoying myself.

Until I met a friend who was passionate about change, I never really understood the business side of this game. Well, now I am a co-partner of an entertainment production company registered in Los Angeles and Nigeria, and we have huge plans that we have started unfolding, we have huge projects that simply takes the breath out of people and they all want to be part of this dream but few are interested in how the journey began, most thinks it just fell from heaven, that it happened overnight, no it was perseverance I had to believe in my dreams. We are discussing things like shares certificate in the nearest future because I have learnt the hard way, I have made progress but there are still some challenges ahead and ask God to always make me face challenges because they have brought out more of my creativity and has brought me this far and will take me farther, but I know I will never struggle for anything in this life again and I am not one of those who will make other people go through what I went through. I went through that road to prevent some people from folllowing that path. But you must pave your own way , so what is your own story?
Re: What The Challenges You Have Faced In The Movie World? by Seun(m): 11:37am On Jan 12, 2008
Wow, your story is great. Compared to you, I'm a fetus in this business.

I have been interested in making movies for about 1.5 years. Before that, I was going to make photocomics, but I didn't like the ad-centric nature of the publishing business. So I've been writing scripts for abut 2 years. And I've owned a 3CCD camera for about a year.

Sometime last year, I decided to specialize in comedy. It was supposed to be the easiest way to make a big impact, but it just made my life harder because comedy writers/actors are hard to find and because comedy is so subjective that it's hard to do quality control. I'm now concerned with inspirational dramas that don't involve sex or gratuitous violence. Wholesome family movies.

Meanwhile, I'm working on a romantic short so I can try out all the theories I've learned. Wish me luck

So what are the challenges I've faced? Extreme shyness, fear of losing money, lack of focus, perfectionism, etc.

(1) (Reply)

Do You Think Ghana Movie Industry Will Overtake Nolllywood? / Most Favourite TV Program ? / Oscar Awards 2015 Winners Full List

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.