Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,704 members, 7,809,680 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:58 PM

First Mother-to-daughter Uterus Transplant Performed In Sweden - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / First Mother-to-daughter Uterus Transplant Performed In Sweden (12778 Views)

Very Graphic Image Of A Woman's Uterus Slipping Out Of Her Vagina / World's First Successful Penis Transplant Performed In South Africa!!! / Can Cramping On The Left Side Of A Uterus Means Ur Carrying A Baby Boy? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

First Mother-to-daughter Uterus Transplant Performed In Sweden by Nobody: 8:16am On Sep 19, 2012
STOCKHOLM (Reuters) - Doctors in Sweden have performed the world's first mother-to-daughter uterus transplants, a medical team said on Tuesday.

The University of Gothenburg said two Swedish women, both in their 30s, received wombs from their mothers in surgery carried out in a hospital in western Sweden over the weekend. The identity of the women was not disclosed.

"More than 10 surgeons, who had trained together on the procedure for several years, took part in the complicated surgery," said team leader Mats Brannstrom, professor of Obstetrics and Gynaecology at the University of Gothenburg.

One of the women had her uterus removed many years ago due to cervical cancer while the other was born without one, the university said in a statement.

"Both patients who received new uteri are doing fine but are tired after surgery. The donating mothers are up and walking and will be discharged from the hospital within a few days."

The university said it estimated that between 2,000 and 3,000 women of child-bearing age in Sweden alone were unable to bear children due the lack of a uterus.

The medical team said the quality of the uterus was controlled by the ovaries and the hormones feeding into it, and in theory a transplanted, post-menopausal uterus could carry a baby.

One of the two recipients, identified only by the name Anna, said she realized some may criticize the operation on ethical grounds, but that for her it simply meant restoring a bodily function, of which she had been deprived by cancer.

"It feels huge to be able to experience this," she said in comments posted on the website of the Sahlgrenska hospital where the operations were carried out without any complications.

She said there were still no guarantees she and her boyfriend would be able to conceive. "We have received a wonderful opportunity, and if it works out it is a lovely bonus."

(Reporting by Niklas Pollard; Editing by Rosalind Russell)

SOURCE

1 Like

Re: First Mother-to-daughter Uterus Transplant Performed In Sweden by Nobody: 8:16am On Sep 19, 2012
Where there's a will, there's a way smiley

1 Like

Re: First Mother-to-daughter Uterus Transplant Performed In Sweden by Blendy77(f): 9:43am On Sep 19, 2012
this is serious o! is it not better to do surrogacy for these women rather than a complicated surgery. Thank God they are ok but I keep wondering if its worth it.
Re: First Mother-to-daughter Uterus Transplant Performed In Sweden by Chanchit: 9:54am On Sep 19, 2012
Moral of this story, before you marry any lady from Sweden, check if she has her uterus intact.wink

5 Likes

Re: First Mother-to-daughter Uterus Transplant Performed In Sweden by Nobody: 9:57am On Sep 19, 2012
Blendy77: this is serious o! is it not better to do surrogacy for these women rather than a complicated surgery. Thank God they are ok but I keep wondering if its worth it.

Well, it's Sweden. It's a complicated surgery, sure, but surgeons have been transplanting organs for years now. It is worth it, especially something like this. A chance at bearing a child? Words can't describe.

4 Likes

Re: First Mother-to-daughter Uterus Transplant Performed In Sweden by dangerzone: 10:20pm On Sep 19, 2012
ogugua88: Where there's a will, there's a way smiley
oh yez it actually happened in my backyard

1 Like

Re: First Mother-to-daughter Uterus Transplant Performed In Sweden by timbros(m): 10:21pm On Sep 19, 2012
hmmmm na wao....oyinbo sef
Re: First Mother-to-daughter Uterus Transplant Performed In Sweden by Nobody: 10:28pm On Sep 19, 2012
See as other nations are advancing in technology,and Nigerians are promised portable water 2025.....atatimes I regret being a Nigerian living in Nigeria..why didn't my fore fahers sold To slavery sef.

8 Likes

Re: First Mother-to-daughter Uterus Transplant Performed In Sweden by Chiemekaorizu(m): 10:29pm On Sep 19, 2012
Team surgeons al da way.kip de good work goin
Re: First Mother-to-daughter Uterus Transplant Performed In Sweden by dangerzone: 10:32pm On Sep 19, 2012
Yomieluv: See as other nations are advancing in technology,and Nigerians are promised portable water 2025.....atatimes I regret being a Nigerian living in Nigeria..why didn't my fore fahers sold To slavery sef.
my brother dont loose hope yet now, you can still put your family into slavery or sell them that way none of future member will be a nigerian...just a suggestion o no offence

9 Likes

Re: First Mother-to-daughter Uterus Transplant Performed In Sweden by SisiKill1: 10:34pm On Sep 19, 2012
Yomieluv: See as other nations are advancing in technology,and Nigerians are promised portable water 2025.....atatimes I regret being a Nigerian living in Nigeria..why didn't my fore fahers sold To slavery sef.

Hey now! That's not fair. . .you forget to add 3 straight days of light. angry angry

Portable water AND 3days straight days of light! ! cool

4 Likes

Re: First Mother-to-daughter Uterus Transplant Performed In Sweden by ACM10: 10:37pm On Sep 19, 2012
Wow! This is strange. Well, strange things keeps happening in medical science. The frontiers of science stops where human imagination ends.

But I wonder if the transplanted uterus could be able to perform its physiological function of housing and nurturing baby for nine months. Uterus that has had minor surgical procedure finds it difficult at times to perform its physiological role. Let alone the transplanted uterus.

2 Likes

Re: First Mother-to-daughter Uterus Transplant Performed In Sweden by mike404(m): 10:37pm On Sep 19, 2012
Well I don't have problem with that as long as it didn't affect the price of GARRI in OYINGBO market grin
Re: First Mother-to-daughter Uterus Transplant Performed In Sweden by Nobody: 10:38pm On Sep 19, 2012
Sounds like INCEPTION.....recursion....so when shall it end??
Re: First Mother-to-daughter Uterus Transplant Performed In Sweden by Adanyebe(m): 10:40pm On Sep 19, 2012
very soon it will be father to son testicle transplant grin

2 Likes

Re: First Mother-to-daughter Uterus Transplant Performed In Sweden by Nobody: 10:48pm On Sep 19, 2012
Hey now, don't speak like that. Have pride in your country and work to make it better. Even small individual changes can affect the future. Never give up yourself and your people. Even though I poke fun in my signature, I am always proud to be American no matter the circumstances.

1 Like

Re: First Mother-to-daughter Uterus Transplant Performed In Sweden by mkmyers45(m): 10:51pm On Sep 19, 2012
Aww...what a true mom
Re: First Mother-to-daughter Uterus Transplant Performed In Sweden by Kslib(m): 11:07pm On Sep 19, 2012
mike404: Well I don't have problem with that as long as it didn't affect the price of GARRI in OYINGBO market grin
Hahahahahahahaahaa!!!
Re: First Mother-to-daughter Uterus Transplant Performed In Sweden by icydoc: 11:07pm On Sep 19, 2012
another breakthrough in the world of science.still hoping some of these advancements will one day be recorded in Africa.tired of hearing bad news coming from the continent of Africa.
Re: First Mother-to-daughter Uterus Transplant Performed In Sweden by Shaw007(m): 11:08pm On Sep 19, 2012
I think the wonder shudnt be that the surgery was carried out successfully,no complications or anytin. . .the thing is for it to actually work out perfectly,nOw that'd be news!! cool

2 Likes

Re: First Mother-to-daughter Uterus Transplant Performed In Sweden by horlah005: 11:11pm On Sep 19, 2012
Hen hen wot sud we do abt dat.... undecided
Re: First Mother-to-daughter Uterus Transplant Performed In Sweden by giles14(m): 11:12pm On Sep 19, 2012
ogugua88: Where there's a will, there's a way smiley
Re: First Mother-to-daughter Uterus Transplant Performed In Sweden by colourharbour(m): 11:14pm On Sep 19, 2012
Oyinbo wonder..If they can carry babies in the transplated uterus..then it's super cool..
Re: First Mother-to-daughter Uterus Transplant Performed In Sweden by nitlad: 11:19pm On Sep 19, 2012
Wow! Now this is a MAJOR surgery, not the appendectomy perfomed on Patience Jonathan some dunce called a major on a particular thread the other day.

1 Like

Re: First Mother-to-daughter Uterus Transplant Performed In Sweden by masterkey11: 11:26pm On Sep 19, 2012
lol
Re: First Mother-to-daughter Uterus Transplant Performed In Sweden by tellwsdom: 11:32pm On Sep 19, 2012
Aunty Egungunwa, Abeg wetin happen to swedish woman oo?? Abeg i need summary, make i save my power for other topic embarassed embarassed
Re: First Mother-to-daughter Uterus Transplant Performed In Sweden by Nobody: 11:33pm On Sep 19, 2012
mike404: Well I don't have problem with that as long as it didn't affect the price of GARRI in OYINGBO market grin

U will be banned but fear not!
There are more comrades in the struggle!
I salute ur courage!

Thank God for this gr8 news, Nigeria needs to take a clue from this and develop our medical structures before people start flying abroad for mosquito bite, or running stomach due to excess intake oif GARRI!

I hope GEJ is learning!

1 Like

Re: First Mother-to-daughter Uterus Transplant Performed In Sweden by bobbyruffy(m): 11:34pm On Sep 19, 2012
Technological advancement is best achieved abroad...
Re: First Mother-to-daughter Uterus Transplant Performed In Sweden by Whymee: 11:56pm On Sep 19, 2012
Abeg, medical expect, so a woman can be born without Uterus, ah.
This is a vital information, women and their husband should take note of this.
This will save them from religious vampire keeping their hope alive on bearing child citing Sera case.

This is really great.

PLS, religious retadeens WITH COMMENTS LIKE "WORLD IS COMMING TO AN END" should not comment on this post.

When there are medical breakthrough going on around the world, we are here moving backward with such comments,

Abeg, This is not a case of woman gave birth to horse, a baby with tesbiu, qurian etc.

With this surgery, mothers can donate her uterus to her daughter to save her marriage.

5 Likes

Re: First Mother-to-daughter Uterus Transplant Performed In Sweden by aiibee(f): 12:11am On Sep 20, 2012
Sisi_Kill:

Hey now! That's not fair. . .you forget to add 3 straight days of light. angry angry

Portable water AND 3days straight days of light! ! cool

Loool!!
Re: First Mother-to-daughter Uterus Transplant Performed In Sweden by yeye4live(m): 12:14am On Sep 20, 2012
shocked shocked :oHumm did one pass gari issue ooooh

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How To Get Rid Of Smelly Feet / Woman Dies In Tender Hospital Enugu Due To Alleged Negligence / Abimbola Fashola - How I Survived Cancer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.