Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,862 members, 7,810,291 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:51 AM

Abimbola Fashola - How I Survived Cancer - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Abimbola Fashola - How I Survived Cancer (12780 Views)

Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Survived Cancer 15 Years Ago / 'How I Survived Cancer'- Soyinka / How I Survived Ebola - Survivor Speaks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Abimbola Fashola - How I Survived Cancer by Omooba77: 3:53pm On Nov 27, 2013
Wife of Lagos State Governor, Dame Abimbola Fashola, has narrated how she escaped the dreaded breast cancer.

Speaking at a ceremony to flag off the first round of the Integrated Statewide Wellness Health Week, at Rauf Aregbesola Hospital in Mosan Okunola Local Council Development Area, Alimosho, Lagos, western Nigeria, Mrs. Fashola said consistent screening and early detection saved her from the killer disease.

In her words: “Early detection made me survive breast cancer. I was able to survive it through early detection and screening. This year alone, I know about six people that have died of breast cancer and it did not warn them.

“All of them died in the spate of one month. Only God knows what would have happened if I had not detected mine on time,” she said.

The highlights of the programme was free health screening for diabetes, hypertension, prostate, cervix and breast cancers for residents of Alimosho.

.Mrs. Fashola said the importance of the free health programme in all the 20 local governments and 37 local council development areas cannot be overemphasised, given the fact that the diseases which she referred to as silent killers can be treated or managed successfully, if detected early.

“For years, we have witnessed on a regular basis and separate times awareness and screening programmes specifically for hypertension, diabetes, breast, cervical and prostate cancers.

“This new initiative tagged ‘Statewide Wellness Health Week,’ is a welcome idea that will integrate into one all screening and awareness of the five diseases for both men and women at the same time,” she stated.

The Lagos First Lady called on both men and women to take advantage of the unique opportunity the week-long integrated health screening offered. She urged residents to cultivate the habit of visiting primary health centres for their health needs.

“Please be aware that these diseases do not present any noticeable symptoms until at the late stages, then it will be too expensive to treat and manage and could lead to loss of life and bread winners,” she added.

In his remark at the occasion, the chairman of the council, Mr. Abiodun Mafe, said the rate at which Nigerians die of non-communicable diseases calls for serious concern. He called on residents to seize the opportunity of the free health screening to do a thorough medical check-up to know their health status.

“The event is not fun-fair but a programme aimed at bringing awareness to our people between the age of 18 years and above about the killer diseases like hypertension, diabetes, cervical and breast cancers.

“The World Health Organisation (WHO) statistics shows that 22 percent of the Nigerian population are affected by high blood pressure. It is called silent killer because it does not show sign or symptoms till it might be too late,” he said

The LCDA boss said that the proliferation of fake blood pressure measuring devices in the Nigerian market and brand of noodles people consume had put Nigerians at risk of terminal diseases.

He urged residents of all the 20 LGAs and 37 LCDAs to come out en-mass for the free health screening that will last till Friday, 29 November, 2013.

The Deputy Governor, Mrs. Adejoke Orelope Adefulire, who was represented by the Permanent Secretary in the Ministry of Women Affairs and Poverty Alleviation, Mrs. Risikat Akiode, stated that it was in realization of the need to prevent the killer diseases that the state government initiated the wellness health week aimed essentially for the screening of hypertension and diabetes as well as prostate, cervix and breast cancers across the state.

She explained that hypertension, diabetes and cancers are some of the non communicable diseases that have become prevalent and responsible for over 60 percent of deaths in the world, adding that if this trend continues unchecked, the diseases are expected to account for 73 percent of deaths and 60 percent of the disease burden in the year 2020.

“It is against this background that our administration has come up with this initiative, which also aims to increase the tempo of sensitization and awareness to maximally help prevent, reduce these diseases and improve the health status of Lagosians”, Orelope-Adefulire said.

http://pmnewsnigeria.com/2013/11/27/how-i-survived-breast-cancer-abimbola-fashola/
Re: Abimbola Fashola - How I Survived Cancer by Omooba77: 3:59pm On Nov 27, 2013
Thank God
Re: Abimbola Fashola - How I Survived Cancer by dwittyc0der(f): 4:51pm On Nov 27, 2013
second 2 comment !!! Glory be to Almight Allah !!! grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Abimbola Fashola - How I Survived Cancer by 24in7: 4:51pm On Nov 27, 2013
lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Abimbola Fashola - How I Survived Cancer by freda506(f): 4:53pm On Nov 27, 2013
that is why its important to always check yourself.

1 Like

Re: Abimbola Fashola - How I Survived Cancer by BlackPeni5: 4:53pm On Nov 27, 2013
Dame Fashola too? I thought this local title was limited to Jona's family.

1 Like

Re: Abimbola Fashola - How I Survived Cancer by MrOlodo(m): 4:54pm On Nov 27, 2013
grin
Re: Abimbola Fashola - How I Survived Cancer by ogunrhotimi: 4:55pm On Nov 27, 2013
Good for you miam........ Ȋ̝̊̅ can only bliv if Ÿ̲̣̣̣̥☺υ̲̣̥ allow ♍ε̲̣̣̣̥ see. Loooool
Re: Abimbola Fashola - How I Survived Cancer by MCKULQ(m): 4:56pm On Nov 27, 2013
Re: Abimbola Fashola - How I Survived Cancer by ninocia18(m): 4:57pm On Nov 27, 2013
Yhu get luck. One kind diety wey your husband go meet him use win election for don dey suck the bobee by now.
Re: Abimbola Fashola - How I Survived Cancer by mmmustapha(m): 4:57pm On Nov 27, 2013
I heard that sucking breast prevent women from getting cancer, those who want their breast suck should contact me, am offering free of charge on.
Re: Abimbola Fashola - How I Survived Cancer by nwosaanthony(m): 4:58pm On Nov 27, 2013
pls when will ASUU strike end i don tire, airtel
network so poor
Re: Abimbola Fashola - How I Survived Cancer by Oildichotomy(m): 5:02pm On Nov 27, 2013
WTF is bosom cancer.??

It's b.r.east cancer jaree

6 Likes

Re: Abimbola Fashola - How I Survived Cancer by Eneze1(f): 5:03pm On Nov 27, 2013
mmmustapha: I heard that sucking breast prevent women from getting cancer, those who want their breast suck should contact me, am offering free of charge on.

undecided
Re: Abimbola Fashola - How I Survived Cancer by Texykool: 5:04pm On Nov 27, 2013
BOSOM Cancer... cheesycheesycheesy
Re: Abimbola Fashola - How I Survived Cancer by Danhumprey: 5:07pm On Nov 27, 2013
Na wa ooo! Personally,I so much dread the word "cancer" like a plague!

Thank God for her. embarassed
Re: Abimbola Fashola - How I Survived Cancer by tayork(m): 5:11pm On Nov 27, 2013
Thank God for her life o, she was just damn lucky and cus of d money she has too o.......some cancer don't show sign except it get worst bt bossom cancel does
Re: Abimbola Fashola - How I Survived Cancer by 2legit2qwt: 5:12pm On Nov 27, 2013
Moral of the story, Nigerian women please go for your yearly breast examinations. This is very vital in the treatment for breast cancer.

Breast cancer is not a spiritual attack, it's a disease and it's real
Re: Abimbola Fashola - How I Survived Cancer by tayork(m): 5:12pm On Nov 27, 2013
Cancer is treatable and curable if detected early
according to medical experts in the country who
spoke at a symposium in focus of theme of the
2013 World Cancer Day: "Dispel damaging
myths and misconceptions about cancer: Did
You Know?".
At the event organised by the Nigerian Institute of
Medical Research, NIMR, Lagos State Commissioner
for Health, Dr. Jide Idris said the belief that cancer
was a death sentence was not only incorrect but
popularise by nasty experiences of those who present
their cases late in hospitals.
Idris who was represented by the State Acting
Director of Disease Control, Dr. Bakare Omowumi
also dismissed the misconception that cancer is a
disease of the wealthy, adding that, "the disease is
rampant in both middle and low income countries of
the world, including Nigeria."
Also speaking, Director General, NIMR, Professor
Innocent Ujah, lamented that cancer had become a
hydra-headed disease that needs support of every
Nigerian to overcome.
Re: Abimbola Fashola - How I Survived Cancer by tellwisdom: 5:21pm On Nov 27, 2013
But why do we say: may he rest in the bosom of The Lord. What is bosom?? sad
Re: Abimbola Fashola - How I Survived Cancer by MAYOWAAK: 5:22pm On Nov 27, 2013
Let someone inform BRF that sucking of bosoms greatly reduce the incidence of bosom cancer.
Re: Abimbola Fashola - How I Survived Cancer by Dosoq(f): 5:26pm On Nov 27, 2013
Na wa 4 seun oo,wich 1 be 'bossom'? Abegi,let's call a spade a spade 4 beta understanding joor
Re: Abimbola Fashola - How I Survived Cancer by Nobody: 5:28pm On Nov 27, 2013
B-R-E-A-S-T Cancer!!
You cannot afford to use a euphemism if you want to educate people about having their B-R-E-A-S-Ts checked!!
Moderators please correct this silliness.

5 Likes

Re: Abimbola Fashola - How I Survived Cancer by Chiefpriest1(m): 5:39pm On Nov 27, 2013
Someone should please tell Seun to uncensor every other words apart from curse words. Every JSS one student already knows the location,functions and diseases of the brreast in their integrated science textbooks. What the hell is bossom cancer when regular newspapers,books and even religious books call it by its name. This one no be preservation of culture,na 'bushmanism'

9 Likes

Re: Abimbola Fashola - How I Survived Cancer by ccaramel(f): 5:48pm On Nov 27, 2013
Bosom cancersmh.

1 Like

Re: Abimbola Fashola - How I Survived Cancer by Nobody: 5:59pm On Nov 27, 2013
Chiefpriest1: Someone should please tell Seun to uncensor every other words apart from curse words. Every JSS one student already knows the location,functions and diseases of the brreast in their integrated science textbooks. What the hell is bossom cancer when regular newspapers,books and even religious books call it by its name. This one no be preservation of culture,na 'bushmanism'
ccaramel: Bosom cancersmh.
DanNafada: B-R-E-A-S-T Cancer!!
You cannot afford to use a euphemism if you want to educate people about having their B-R-E-A-S-Ts checked!!
Moderators please correct this silliness.
Dosoq: Na wa 4 seun oo,wich 1 be 'bossom'? Abegi,let's call a spade a spade 4 beta understanding joor
Oildichotomy^:
WTF is bosom cancer.??

It's b.r.east cancer jaree
will he and his MODs listen?
Virtually everyone on this site has complained about the censoring yet he won't do anything about it. Who then is the censoring for if the users don't like/appreciate it?

Mr Seun,we can understand the need for modesty/decency. But there's no need to censor words like bbreasst, rrape, incesst, peenis, vaginnaa etc
They aren't even censored on general TV and family programs.
Kids need to learn them and what they stand for.
Cuss words and vulgar names for intimate organs can be censored. But real english/normal word for them really have no business being hidden. They were named for a reason.
We wish you'd listen to us.
Thanks

6 Likes

Re: Abimbola Fashola - How I Survived Cancer by alingo4life: 6:20pm On Nov 27, 2013
lorretta u: will he and his MODs listen?
Virtually everyone on this site has complained about the censoring yet he won't do anything about it. Who then is the censoring for if the users don't like/appreciate it?

Mr Seun,we can understand the need for modesty/decency. But there's no need to censor words like bbreasst, rrape, incesst, peenis, vaginnaaetc
Cus words and vulgar names for intimate organs can be censored. But real english/normal word for them really have no business being hidden. They were named for a reason.
Thanks
I pray seun listens to us.Am always surprised when sexual words will be hidden even on the sexuality thread where i believe everything and everyword must be said the way it is..

I think it all boils down to the fact that Mr Seun osewa is a damm conservative man..Yes,to me he's too conservative..And for saying this,i know you might ban me,but i dont give a damm..This is a forum for goodness sake,we should be able to say things out the way they are,not hiding under the toga of being "holy"..I rest my case

2 Likes

Re: Abimbola Fashola - How I Survived Cancer by Dosoq(f): 6:25pm On Nov 27, 2013
lorretta u: will he and his MODs listen?

Mr Seun,we can understand the need for modesty/decency. But there's no need to censor words like bbreasst, rrape, incesst, peenis, vaginnaaetc
Cus words and vulgar names for intimate organs can be censored. But real english/normal word for them really have no business being hidden. They were named for a reason.
Thanks
. But seriously,it doesn't make any sense,initially wen I saw d topic,it tuk me tym 2 understand d word 'Bossom',not until I remembered I was on NL,Mr seun,pls,help luk in2 dis issue,tanks.

1 Like

Re: Abimbola Fashola - How I Survived Cancer by Idrismusty97(m): 6:33pm On Nov 27, 2013
Wetin be bosom again?,Seun na wa wit you o.Brea.st na abusive word? grin
Re: Abimbola Fashola - How I Survived Cancer by delpee(f): 6:39pm On Nov 27, 2013
Point of story - go and get yourselves screened for free!
Re: Abimbola Fashola - How I Survived Cancer by bacteria24(m): 6:40pm On Nov 27, 2013
I have a feeling they don't know how to disable the word censor script. A corrupt file maybe. Stuff happens. That word bosom makes me cringe, b.r.east is b.r.east wherever I go.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Woman Dies In Tender Hospital Enugu Due To Alleged Negligence / Is Banana Fattening? / Have You Had Severe Side Effects From Camoquin (pfizer)?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.