Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,805 members, 7,837,896 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 12:21 PM

Cruel Summer - Honest Album Review - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Cruel Summer - Honest Album Review (577 Views)

Album Review: Psquare Double Trouble. / DBanj Featured On GOOD Music's ''Cruel Summer'' Album / Timaya New Album Review "dem Mama Soujas" What Do You Guys Think? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Cruel Summer - Honest Album Review by WPBandit(m): 9:31pm On Sep 19, 2012
The most anticipated album of the summer! I got the review here! YES!

http://www.thewidowspeakbandit.com/2012/09/honest-album-review-cruel-summer.html
Re: Cruel Summer - Honest Album Review by Abagworo(m): 9:13am On Sep 20, 2012
Conclusion
The album is definitely good! the sound is consistent and
the star power is evident. Do I think it's a better listen
than Maybach music's album? Probably not, because at
this stage I rather hear Meek, Wale and Rick Ross rap. But
the quality of music and the time and effort put in on this
album is far superior than any other compilation i've
heard before.
Conclusion
The album is definitely good! the sound is consistent and
the star power is evident. Do I think it's a better listen
than Maybach music's album? Probably not, because at
this stage I rather hear Meek, Wale and Rick Ross rap. But
the quality of music and the time and effort put in on this
album is far superior than any other compilation i've
heard before.

Damn! We seem to think alike some times. That MMG compilation is definitely a good listen compared with this. IMHO "The Morning" is the best up there. It is better than 2chainz "BOATS" though. I also think Big Sean and Cyhi have a future in Hip-hop than all other artists up there. MMG seems to be in charge now with regards to real hip-hop. Wale,Meek and Stalley are super stars in the making.
Re: Cruel Summer - Honest Album Review by martinkem(m): 6:35pm On Sep 21, 2012
The album is dope, the best compliation album i have listened to in the last 5 years. It's way better than the Maybach Music Group and Young money compliation albums. The sounds are good, my fav off the album is the Morning, and bumpinh to The One another great tune on the LP.
Re: Cruel Summer - Honest Album Review by WPBandit(m): 10:37pm On Sep 21, 2012
The album is the definition of "compilation". I think what makes the album so good is that it's a group of somewhat slept on rappers all together. They are still hungry. I feel like MMG are kind of complacent at this point. They don't really take the musical element as serious as Kanye and the rest of the G.O.O.D. Music crew. With that being said, MMG's album is more listenable in terms of "right now" cause they are on top of the game. Everything you hear on the radio is MMG. But down the line, Cruel Summer will blow out all compilations because it's literally GOOD, Quality and long-lasting MUSIC.
Re: Cruel Summer - Honest Album Review by Nuzo1(m): 9:39am On Sep 22, 2012
By Carter Maness
Is G.O.O.D. Music's Cruel Summer a Kanye West album or not? With his lack of consistent presence and little-to-no personal promotion, that seems to be the central question that critics are asking when reviewing the eclectic posse compilation, which features adored singles like "Mercy" and "Clique," but only sports a West verse on seven of its 12 tracks. Reviews have been mixed with most noting that West did not put a full effort into the anticipated album, instead relying too much on his roster and not enough on his trustworthy instincts.

1. Talented But Distracted
On Cruel Summer (G.O.O.D./Def Jam), the spotty new compilation from his G.O.O.D. Music label, Mr. West is characteristically loose, veering from rapping about depression after the death of his mother to nonsense about the former C.I.A. director George Tenet’s Maybach to making it plain exactly what’s at the forefront of his thinking lately, which is often not music. – Jon Caramanica, New York Times.

2. Quality Control
One of the summer's most anticipated albums (apparently it's summer until 'Ye says it isn't), the G.O.O.D. Music posse album is a mixed bag full of vigorous singles and minute made, mailed-in verses, tied with a red ribbon by Kanye. – Erika Ramirez, Billboard.

3. Too Much Of A Team Player
On Cruel Summer, too many people were given too much shine too often. And with Kanye's absence on songs on which his participation was crucial, the listener was often left with nothing to go on, be it a triumphant Ye start, or a whirlwind Yeezy final verse. One has to admire the sprinkle of modesty that was his approach to constructing this album, but come Cruel Summer 2: Back in the Habit, it might be time to shed that modesty (and a few players) and reinvigorate some of that cocky bravado that he carries with him in seemingly every other walk of life. - Rembert Browne, Grantland.

4. Expectations
It's the sense of Event, which has become as much of an art for Kanye as his music over the years, that is most blatantly missing here… A handful of guests aside, though, none of G.O.O.D. Music's personalities do much to justify their newfound prominence. If Cruel Summer is meant to be an argument for the label's other talent, it makes a weak case. -Jayson Greene, Pitchfork.

5. Maybe A Mixtape Instead?
Cruel Summer doesn’t feel directly connected to Kanye’s life in any real way (Kim K asides aside). BTW, what was the cruelest part of Ye’s summer? Refereeing Beyonce and KK backstage at Made in America? Giving Big Sean a post-show Mean Joe Greene/Coca-Cola pep talk? I mean, if Kanye ain’t bringing the mostest drama, musically or otherwise, then his movement seems off-message. But, honestly, quibbling like this feels pretty chintzy. This is a glorified summer mixtape, natch. - Charles Aaron, Spin.

6. Style First
An hourlong presentation of West’s musical line, Cruel Summer is a sonic runway show (West describes it as “a ghetto opera”) on which his taste in rappers is on full display, and for the most part they're spitting poison. – Randall Roberts, Los Angeles Times.
Re: Cruel Summer - Honest Album Review by Abagworo(m): 8:59pm On Sep 22, 2012
Nuzo':
By Carter Maness
Is G.O.O.D. Music's Cruel Summer a Kanye West album or not? With his lack of consistent presence and little-to-no personal promotion, that seems to be the central question that critics are asking when reviewing the eclectic posse compilation, which features adored singles like "Mercy" and "Clique," but only sports a West verse on seven of its 12 tracks. Reviews have been mixed with most noting that West did not put a full effort into the anticipated album, instead relying too much on his roster and not enough on his trustworthy instincts.

1. Talented But Distracted
On Cruel Summer (G.O.O.D./Def Jam), the spotty new compilation from his G.O.O.D. Music label, Mr. West is characteristically loose, veering from rapping about depression after the death of his mother to nonsense about the former C.I.A. director George Tenet’s Maybach to making it plain exactly what’s at the forefront of his thinking lately, which is often not music. – Jon Caramanica, New York Times.

2. Quality Control
One of the summer's most anticipated albums (apparently it's summer until 'Ye says it isn't), the G.O.O.D. Music posse album is a mixed bag full of vigorous singles and minute made, mailed-in verses, tied with a red ribbon by Kanye. – Erika Ramirez, Billboard.

3. Too Much Of A Team Player
On Cruel Summer, too many people were given too much shine too often. And with Kanye's absence on songs on which his participation was crucial, the listener was often left with nothing to go on, be it a triumphant Ye start, or a whirlwind Yeezy final verse. One has to admire the sprinkle of modesty that was his approach to constructing this album, but come Cruel Summer 2: Back in the Habit, it might be time to shed that modesty (and a few players) and reinvigorate some of that cocky bravado that he carries with him in seemingly every other walk of life. - Rembert Browne, Grantland.

4. Expectations
It's the sense of Event, which has become as much of an art for Kanye as his music over the years, that is most blatantly missing here… A handful of guests aside, though, none of G.O.O.D. Music's personalities do much to justify their newfound prominence. If Cruel Summer is meant to be an argument for the label's other talent, it makes a weak case. -Jayson Greene, Pitchfork.

5. Maybe A Mixtape Instead?
Cruel Summer doesn’t feel directly connected to Kanye’s life in any real way (Kim K asides aside). BTW, what was the cruelest part of Ye’s summer? Refereeing Beyonce and KK backstage at Made in America? Giving Big Sean a post-show Mean Joe Greene/Coca-Cola pep talk? I mean, if Kanye ain’t bringing the mostest drama, musically or otherwise, then his movement seems off-message. But, honestly, quibbling like this feels pretty chintzy. This is a glorified summer mixtape, natch. - Charles Aaron, Spin.

6. Style First
An hourlong presentation of West’s musical line, Cruel Summer is a sonic runway show (West describes it as “a ghetto opera”) on which his taste in rappers is on full display, and for the most part they're spitting poison. – Randall Roberts, Los Angeles Times.

Very disappointing review if I may say but I'm bumpong to tracks 1 to 5. The album ends at 5 for me. "To the World" is a sure hit.

(1) (Reply)

Have U Heard This Song At Ur End / Video: "You Have An Infectious Disease" - Dr Sid Tells Basketmouth / VIDEO Premiere: Phenom – Shukubambam Ft Ms Iye

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.