Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,724 members, 7,809,753 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:19 PM

Afe Babalola University In Admission Scandal - Help! - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Afe Babalola University In Admission Scandal - Help! (2918 Views)

Lesbianism Scandal Rocks Kogi University / Harvard University In Exam Cheating Scandal / The Best University In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Afe Babalola University In Admission Scandal - Help! by vicoloni(m): 10:44pm On Sep 19, 2012
Hello All,
When atimes you find injustice and the height of illegality where you do not expect to find one, it becomes so annoying and you just can't but wonder where we are headed. Moreover, when it has to do with the next generation, then you make them loose hope in the Project Nigeria.
Sometime in July, ( guess 1st weekend) my niece wrote the first batch of post utme (post JAMB) of the Afe Babalola University having scored 244 in Jamb and a week or so after she was offered admission into Law department (her preferred choice) and we subsequently paid the acceptance fee of #50,000 and picked up the provisional admission letter from the school which I personally picked up on the 24th of July, 2012 while we awaited the resumption date of 17th September 2012. The bank draft for her fee almost hitting the 9 digit mark was made last week and preparations were in top gear for her resumption, on the eve of resumption, my brother, her father, checked the ABUAD website and found her name missing from the list of those admitted. He swung into action and said for me to confirm what was happening @ the school which was just opposite my work place.
I couldn't get to the school on Monday but spoke with a few colleagues who work there and I told them I'd be there on Tuesday.
On getting there, I met with the registrar, Christine Oluborode who at the initial stage was trying to play on my psyche asking who gave me the admission letter and asking me some awry question that a registrar of private institution of her status should not even dare ask( she did not know I am a lecturer and a Unionist par excellence, winks*). The long and short of it was that she could not be admitted for law again and I asked her why, she said the registration for law closed on Monday, I made her understand that the gal was ready to come to school but it was not wise risking her life down to Ado when on the eve of resumption, the list on their website did not have her name again. The next words that came out of her mouth was, she could offer her another course and that gave the bile in my stomach to rush to my mouth but for the presence of a whole barrack of policemen armed to the teeth present, I would have spat enough venom on her.
Granted that the school authorities have the exclusive right to grant or refuse anyone an admission, and cannot be called to question on their decision, a few question arise nonetheless.

QUESTIONS FOR REVIEW
1. What is the basis for the removal of her name? Are there lapses in the system that allow such to be done illegally? Was it done officially?
2. Why issue her an admission letter, duly signed by the Registrar in green ink, if there was no intention to admit her?
3. Why collect the acceptance fee, and subsequently remove a name from the list?
4. Having given her the offer upon payment of acceptance fee, was there any condition she failed to meet that led to her name being removed even before September 17? Should the offer be unilaterally withdrawn without recourse to her or the parents, bearing in mind that the form filled contained our contact details?
5. Talking about the offer to take another course 'since the offer lapsed yesterday', is that the next fair thing to do or is it just a situation of 'we hold all the aces and we can deal with anyone's life or future anyhow we like?'

Like I highlighted earlier, they have the right to admit or not to admit a student, but has this case been treated right and fairly?

At the moment, I am utterly vexed and would want a redress for this illegal act because I feel, they have done a heavy wrong to a young Nigerian and guess ABUAD is just in education business to make money and no more

A very vexed uncle
Re: Afe Babalola University In Admission Scandal - Help! by Odunnu: 4:14am On Sep 20, 2012
Is this a private university? What they did is so wicked without considering the effect on this student, your cousin. I wish our system works so well, this is one case that'll feed a lawyer.
Re: Afe Babalola University In Admission Scandal - Help! by Nobody: 7:08am On Sep 20, 2012
That's Niger 4 u... I sat 4 jamb and i scored 251, i choose Bowen Uni as my first choice most prefer... I sat 4 their putme and i passed, when d list was out i was suprised to find my name missing... After then, i call d registrar and he was kinda telling me to come down to the sch and they will find something to do abt it. What does that mean? This is not only in private uni but in all unis... That's just d condition of Niger today ooo... Just tell her that every disappointment is a blessing...

It is well...
Re: Afe Babalola University In Admission Scandal - Help! by Nobody: 12:09pm On Sep 20, 2012
LARRYDKING: That's Niger 4 u... I sat 4 jamb and i scored 251, i choose Bowen Uni as my first choice most prefer... I sat 4 their putme and i passed, when d list was out i was suprised to find my name missing... After then, i call d registrar and he was kinda telling me to come down to the sch and they will find something to do abt it. What does that mean? This is not only in private uni but in all unis... That's just d condition of Niger today ooo... Just tell her that every disappointment is a blessing...

It is well...

What is ur solution? They should sue and have her retake UTME against another school.
Re: Afe Babalola University In Admission Scandal - Help! by Nobody: 12:12pm On Sep 20, 2012
vicoloni: Hello All,
When atimes you find injustice and the height of illegality where you do not expect to find one, it becomes so annoying and you just can't but wonder where we are headed. Moreover, when it has to do with the next generation, then you make them loose hope in the Project Nigeria.
Sometime in July, ( guess 1st weekend) my niece wrote the first batch of post utme (post JAMB) of the Afe Babalola University having scored 244 in Jamb and a week or so after she was offered admission into Law department (her preferred choice) and we subsequently paid the acceptance fee of #50,000 and picked up the provisional admission letter from the school which I personally picked up on the 24th of July, 2012 while we awaited the resumption date of 17th September 2012. The bank draft for her fee almost hitting the 9 digit mark was made last week and preparations were in top gear for her resumption, on the eve of resumption, my brother, her father, checked the ABUAD website and found her name missing from the list of those admitted. He swung into action and said for me to confirm what was happening @ the school which was just opposite my work place.
I couldn't get to the school on Monday but spoke with a few colleagues who work there and I told them I'd be there on Tuesday.
On getting there, I met with the registrar, Christine Oluborode who at the initial stage was trying to play on my psyche asking who gave me the admission letter and asking me some awry question that a registrar of private institution of her status should not even dare ask( she did not know I am a lecturer and a Unionist par excellence, winks*). The long and short of it was that she could not be admitted for law again and I asked her why, she said the registration for law closed on Monday, I made her understand that the gal was ready to come to school but it was not wise risking her life down to Ado when on the eve of resumption, the list on their website did not have her name again. The next words that came out of her mouth was, she could offer her another course and that gave the bile in my stomach to rush to my mouth but for the presence of a whole barrack of policemen armed to the teeth present, I would have spat enough venom on her.
Granted that the school authorities have the exclusive right to grant or refuse anyone an admission, and cannot be called to question on their decision, a few question arise nonetheless.

QUESTIONS FOR REVIEW
1. What is the basis for the removal of her name? Are there lapses in the system that allow such to be done illegally? Was it done officially?
2. Why issue her an admission letter, duly signed by the Registrar in green ink, if there was no intention to admit her?
3. Why collect the acceptance fee, and subsequently remove a name from the list?
4. Having given her the offer upon payment of acceptance fee, was there any condition she failed to meet that led to her name being removed even before September 17? Should the offer be unilaterally withdrawn without recourse to her or the parents, bearing in mind that the form filled contained our contact details?
5. Talking about the offer to take another course 'since the offer lapsed yesterday', is that the next fair thing to do or is it just a situation of 'we hold all the aces and we can deal with anyone's life or future anyhow we like?'

Like I highlighted earlier, they have the right to admit or not to admit a student, but has this case been treated right and fairly?

At the moment, I am utterly vexed and would want a redress for this illegal act because I feel, they have done a heavy wrong to a young Nigerian and guess ABUAD is just in education business to make money and no more

A very vexed uncle

Let her not lose hope because there is next year. But you guys should sue. They sold her slot to another person and will be telling u to take International relation. I know someone that got admitted against Law but her parents did not pay the N50K acceptance and it is understandable when they removed her name. I blamed her parents- why not risking N50K over WAEC results when they trusted her capability? And now urs? That's weird and wicked!

(1) (Reply)

Bowen University Expels Female Student Because Of MouthAction / How I Started My International MBA Studies / PHOTOS: Young NCE Graduates Kiss Personalty To Celebrate Their Graduation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.