Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,005 members, 7,821,524 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:18 PM

The Best University In Nigeria? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Best University In Nigeria? (105738 Views)

Best University In Nigeria To Study Mechanical Engineering / Which School Is The Best University In Nigeria And Why? / The Best University In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Best University In Nigeria? by Emmyben: 11:38am On Apr 06, 2006
shocked undecided which is d best university in nigeria?But4 emmyben,i think it is nnamdi azikiwe university,awka,Anambra state.They have d best equipments,infrastructures
Re: The Best University In Nigeria? by beyunce(f): 12:33pm On Apr 06, 2006
A.b.u Zaria.
Re: The Best University In Nigeria? by Hotstepper(f): 2:28pm On Apr 06, 2006
hmm yea UNIZIK gat the best equipments,infrastructures but according to the survey coducted as per the world's best universities, Nigeria was at da bottom sha but UI, OAU came on top among Nigerian universities, in terms of academics, they r da best i suppose tongue
Re: The Best University In Nigeria? by goodguy(m): 10:10pm On Apr 06, 2006
What are the criteria for determining which is the best?  I really don't think one is better than the other. But if we're talking in terms of individual departments, I believe Ibadan is the best for Medicine & surgery.
Re: The Best University In Nigeria? by iseg007(m): 12:51pm On Apr 07, 2006
there are only two universities in nigeria
UNILAG and others

1 Like

Re: The Best University In Nigeria? by whiteroses(f): 1:03pm On Apr 07, 2006
i have no idea though but i guess the best university in nigeria would have to be private
Re: The Best University In Nigeria? by maki(f): 2:07pm On Apr 07, 2006
goodguy:

What are the criteria for determining which is the best? I really don't think one is better than the other. But if we're talking in terms of individual departments, I believe Ibadan is the best for Medicine & surgery.

it cant be ibadan, unique U- N-I-P-O-R-T is the best almost in everything, quote me wrong, if you can
Re: The Best University In Nigeria? by otokx(m): 3:40pm On Apr 08, 2006
no private university can be the best because they lack the infrastructure. UNILAG is expensive but they have the infrastructure and also the staff, the university at ibadan is equally good. Both universities are getting a lot of help from the private sector so it could be one of them. UNIPORT is cool but definitely not the best in Nigerian.
Re: The Best University In Nigeria? by reyes4eva(m): 4:07pm On Apr 08, 2006
There r only 2 Universities in Nigeria.
OAU and the others.
I have been to nearly all the Federal Univeristies in Nigeria. OAU must be the best. It was well planned and the architectural designs are second to none.

UI comes 2nd cos of the academic potentials and the whole serenity is beautiful. Its highly recommended to any youngster planning to school in Nigeria.
Low cost of living and violent-free.

UNILAG is the worst i have been to. The planning is so awful it's not true and whatz the idea in PAINTING palm trees? Every building in the school has the same paint all through like a Penitertiary in New York(YUCK YUCK)

1 Like

Re: The Best University In Nigeria? by Hotstepper(f): 4:44pm On Apr 08, 2006
lol, ESUT will be another nice school, I think they ahve moved to their new site kiss
Re: The Best University In Nigeria? by Consultant(f): 4:48pm On Apr 08, 2006
OAU must be the best

If you want to go to OAU, factor in an extra 2-3 years o. I have a friend who studied Medicine at OAU - entered in 1999/97 session and graduated in 2005, without failing or repeating a year.

My junior brother and sister both entered the University in the same year - in fact he entered six months before her and he went to OAU to do a 5-year course. She graduated, went to Law School and started NYSC before he graduated from OAU.

IMO in a few short years, the best university in Nigeria will be a private university.

1 Like

Re: The Best University In Nigeria? by Hotstepper(f): 5:43pm On Apr 08, 2006
hate private uiversities esp. if they r owned by Nigeria exception of some
Re: The Best University In Nigeria? by JosBoy4Lif(m): 7:42pm On Apr 08, 2006
beyunce:

A.b.u Zaria.
Ya I really like this university, but the best, shocked shocked

whiteroses:

i have no idea though but i guess the best university in nigeria would have to be private
Private universities r for rich mens children who could not get acceptance to the more tough governements schools, so the best not even close
Re: The Best University In Nigeria? by kimba(m): 7:59pm On Apr 08, 2006
@reyes4eva
UNILAG is the worst i have been to. The planning is so awful it's not true and whatz the idea in PAINTING palm trees? Every building in the school has the same paint all through like a Penitertiary in New York(YUCK YUCK)

Its like you've spent some quality time in the New York Penitentiary that you can immediately see its similarities with UNILAG. grin grin

did you meet ZumbaX13 in the right wing?
Re: The Best University In Nigeria? by reyes4eva(m): 8:31pm On Apr 08, 2006
Nah,i didn't meet ZumbaX13 at the right wing but i met your DAD at the left wing @ room 112.

4 Likes

Re: The Best University In Nigeria? by reniks(f): 10:00pm On Apr 08, 2006
What exactly is d parameter for d choice?Anyway based on my personal ideology the best University is UNILAG.I love our standard of education and the fact that internal problems are limited so a 4 yr course does not become 6yrs.Some1 mentioned the painting of d school with d same colour.Would it be better to make it multi-coloured?And then painting palm trees.How does that affect any1 or the quality of education? U.I and O.A.U are good as well.
Re: The Best University In Nigeria? by Idekeson(m): 10:36pm On Apr 08, 2006
iseg007:

there are only two universities in Nigeria
UNILAG and others

You must have meant University of Nigeria (UNN) and others.

2 Likes

Re: The Best University In Nigeria? by nnannaeze1(m): 10:51pm On Apr 08, 2006
esut has d new structures and facilites but problem dey educational sys and beware of da nickname (eeshot).i know cos na my school;-)
Re: The Best University In Nigeria? by Hotstepper(f): 11:15pm On Apr 08, 2006
@JosBoy4Lif, excatly wat u said, it is for those that couldn't get into federal or state unis. so money talks and private school is the answer esp. those of medicine and law, the most wanted course by parents tongue
Re: The Best University In Nigeria? by JosBoy4Lif(m): 11:17pm On Apr 08, 2006
Yup money talks bullshit works.
Re: The Best University In Nigeria? by somebody(f): 11:19pm On Apr 08, 2006
I remember someone sent my uncle the official league. can hardly remmber but it think unilag was number one(even though i don't agree), Ife, Uniben , can't remmeber the rest. those were the top three. Come to think of it i think UNN was number four or it was no three and uniben was number 4. but those were the top four unis.
Re: The Best University In Nigeria? by goodguy(m): 11:26pm On Apr 08, 2006
maki:

quote me wrong, if you can

The University of Ibadan has been ranked Best Overall amongst all Universities in Nigeria as recently announced by the National Universities Commission (NUC). This has been given very wide Publicity by the print and electronic media in the country.

The details of sectional rankings which culminated in U.I. emerging as BEST OVERALL are as follows:

1) Best University in terms of Quality of Academic Staff
2) Best in Ph.D. Graduate Output
3) Best in Medicine/Health Sciences
4) Best in Dentistry
5) Best in Pharmacy
6) Best in Sciences
7) Best in Veterinary Medicine

http://www.ui.edu.ng/UINewsbulletin_060505.htm
Re: The Best University In Nigeria? by somebody(f): 11:55pm On Apr 08, 2006
Official list for ranking of universities. Very different to the one i saw a few years ago. Here is the link: http://www.nigerdeltacongress.com/articles/assessing_states_and_universitie.htm.

Overall University Mean Academic

Position University/Year Established Generation Quality Index (Out of 5)

1. University of Agriculture, Abeokuta Third 3.74

2. University of Agriculture, Umudike Third 3.60

3. University of Nigeria, Nsukka First 3.51

4. University of Lagos, Akoka, Lagos First 3.39

5. Abubakar Tafawa Balewa University, Bauchi Third 3.33

5. Fed. University of Technology, Owerri Third 3.33

7. University of Jos, Jos Second 3.30

8. Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka Second 3.23

9. Nigerian Defence Academy, Kaduna Third 3.20

10. Imo State University, Owerri State Third 3.19

11. University of Agriculture, Makurdi Third 3.18

12. Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria First 3.14

12. Bayero University, Kano Second 3.14

12. University of Ilorin, Ilorin Second 3.14

15. Olabisi Onabanjo University, Ago-Iwoye StateThird 3.11

16. University of Ibadan, Ibadan/1948 First 3.02

17. Fed. University of Technology, Minna Third 3.00

18. University of Ado-Ekiti State 2.93

19. Obafemi Awolowo Univ. (University of Ife), Ile-Ife First 2.93

20. University of Maiduguri, Maiduguri Second 2.89

21. Enugu State University, Enugu State 2.84

22. University of Calabar, Calabar Second 2.76

23. Usmanu Dan Fodio University, Sokoto Second 2.75

24. University of Benin, Benin City First 2.70

25. University of Port Harcourt, PH Second 2.68

26. Abia State University, Uturu State 2.66

27. Lagos State University, Ojo, Lagos State 2.64

27. Fed. University of Technology, Akure Third 2.64

29. Ladoke Akintola University, Ogbomoso State 2.46

30. University of Uyo, Uyo Second 2.43

31. Benue State University, Makurdi State 2.36

32. Federal University of Technology, Yola Third 2.33

33. Delta State University, Abraka State 2.21

34. University of Abuja, Abuja FCT Second 2.21

35. Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma State 2.14

36. Rivers State Univ. of Sc. & Technology, PH State 2.13

1 Like

Re: The Best University In Nigeria? by Consultant(f): 4:41am On Apr 09, 2006
Official list for ranking of universities.
Who's "official" list is this? Because i noticed that this is not NUC's website.

Private universities r for rich mens children who could not get acceptance to the more tough governements schools, so the best not even close

Could the "bad-bele" that i sense against private universities on this post be because most of us can't afford to attend these schools? smiley
I have been to covenant university's website and i like what i see - plus they had all their courses accredited by the NUC last year - something that even the big federal universities did not achieve.
Re: The Best University In Nigeria? by somebody(f): 4:58am On Apr 09, 2006
@ consultant, it is the official list as it is the same list by nuc. just got it from another site due to the erratic behaviour of the nuc site.
Re: The Best University In Nigeria? by Seun(m): 6:11am On Apr 09, 2006
nnanna eze : esut has d new structures and facilites but problem dey educational sys and beware of da nickname (eeshot).i know because na my school;-)
Re: The Best University In Nigeria? by Blue2(m): 12:09pm On Apr 09, 2006
Private universities are yet to find their feets, some of them are relatively unknown, so u can't blame people for leaving them unrecognised. They have to show us that they are not just flukes, no doubt some of them like failed banks would go down with time. don't get me wrong i am not against private universities just that the way i have seen some of them run gives me cause for concern. Madonna university for one is run like a secondary school!
Re: The Best University In Nigeria? by cushman(m): 12:52pm On Apr 09, 2006
The best university in Nigeria? Why not try Unimaid cheesy
Re: The Best University In Nigeria? by goodguy(m): 10:45pm On Apr 09, 2006
Don't make me repeat myself! U.I. is the best in Nigeria!!!

On the assessments for all the universities in Nigeria, PAU came second with 7.63 points after University of Ibadan with 5.53 points. University of Lagos came third with 7.80 points while Obafemi Awolowo Univerity,Ile-Ife came forth with 7.95 points.

http://www.lbs.edu.ng/fmba_news.php#3
Re: The Best University In Nigeria? by Oracle(m): 4:22am On Apr 10, 2006
It should be ABU Zaria or UNN
Re: The Best University In Nigeria? by diddy4(m): 4:37am On Apr 10, 2006
its true private universities are expensive and some are unknown while others like madonna are high schools, the best for those that want to read and study and not have sex and party 24/7 is either convenant, BIU and this new one that just came out. some federal universities are good as well. like UNN and Ibadan but ESUT is prolly the worst with their everyday shooting. it all depends.
Re: The Best University In Nigeria? by otokx(m): 11:59am On Apr 10, 2006
with the exception of the pan african university which by the way offers only graduate programs, a lot of the other private universities are nothing short of advanced boarding secondary schools. the educational standards are very low while the moral standards are so high grin. I hear some of them don't allow mobile phones and if you are caught having a conversation with a member of the opposite sex you might spend a little time in their private jails. Even the census people that went to one of them private universities were not permitted to enter the students hostels. They were confined to the middle of the football field and anybody that was interested in being counted was allowed 10 minutes maximum to visit the enumerators. As a lady you wear jeans troussers and go try visit another lady friend who is a staff of that "university" , the security men will just ask you to leave. If you can bribe them well; they may allow you park your car outside the school and call your friend to have a few minutes with you outside or better still drive out of sight.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English / FCMB Locates Little Girl, Dele That Used ATM Light For Assignment / LAUTECH Student's Leaked Sex Video: Story Behind The Sex Tape, The Girl Reacts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.