Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,762 members, 7,820,650 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:50 PM

Should Heavy Duty Vehicles Be Banned From Roads During The Day - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Should Heavy Duty Vehicles Be Banned From Roads During The Day (5855 Views)

Only Seen On Lagos Roads (photo) / Photos Of Specially Made Armored Patrol Vehicles Proudly Crafted In Nigeria / Photo: Which Would Be Your Pick For Use On Nigerian Roads? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should Heavy Duty Vehicles Be Banned From Roads During The Day by emalekuo(m): 8:53am On Sep 20, 2012
The rate of roads accidents on Nigerian roads is very alarming and over 50 percent of such accident is caused by one heavy duty vehicle or the other. Am of the opinion that these heavy duty trucks should have time restriction on our roads say 7pm to 6am cos the roads are bad enough and we can't continue to risk our lovely lives. What your opinion?
Re: Should Heavy Duty Vehicles Be Banned From Roads During The Day by emalekuo(m): 8:55am On Sep 20, 2012
Let's get people's opinion on this.
Thanks
Re: Should Heavy Duty Vehicles Be Banned From Roads During The Day by Andrew3(m): 3:53pm On Sep 20, 2012
gbam.
Re: Should Heavy Duty Vehicles Be Banned From Roads During The Day by stagger: 3:53pm On Sep 20, 2012
TOTALLY BANNED DURING THE DAY.
Re: Should Heavy Duty Vehicles Be Banned From Roads During The Day by sentix(m): 3:55pm On Sep 20, 2012
And who will protect them while they drive during the Night
Woe betides anybody who drives at Night

3 Likes

Re: Should Heavy Duty Vehicles Be Banned From Roads During The Day by Nobody: 3:56pm On Sep 20, 2012
Re: Should Heavy Duty Vehicles Be Banned From Roads During The Day by JUO(m): 3:57pm On Sep 20, 2012
nd who will protect them while they drive during the Night
Woe betides anybody who drives at Night
O YA POSTER ANSWER
Re: Should Heavy Duty Vehicles Be Banned From Roads During The Day by Nobody: 3:57pm On Sep 20, 2012
in ph here they are not permitted to ply some routes during the day.

heavy duties like swamp boogies, 1200 tonnes low bed, flat tails with loads wider than the tails should completely be removed from our roads till after work hour or from 6am - 8pm
Re: Should Heavy Duty Vehicles Be Banned From Roads During The Day by Kx: 3:58pm On Sep 20, 2012
I thought Fashola traffic law banned the movement of heavy duty trucks in the daytime in Lagos.

Anyways, if you owned heavy duty trucks, and with the high rate of crime, insecurity and disrepair of our roads, would u support the call to ban heavy duty trucks in the daytime? Policies should be holistic, not selective.

If our roads were good and crime rate was low, do we think any truck driver would drive in the day time instead of night journey?

1 Like

Re: Should Heavy Duty Vehicles Be Banned From Roads During The Day by andyanders: 4:05pm On Sep 20, 2012
emalekuo: The rate of roads accidents on Nigerian roads is very alarming and over 50 percent of such accident is caused by one heavy duty vehicle or the other. Am of the opinion that these heavy duty trucks should have time restriction on our roads say 7pm to 6am cos the roads are bad enough and we can't continue to risk our lovely lives. What your opinion?

There should be a law passed that these articulated vehicles be made to move from 10PM to 6AM in the morning and wherever the day meets with them, they should park there till 10PM to continue.
The government should providing resting places along all Highways across the nation. Like what is obtainable to in America.
Something must have to be done to take these trucks off the roads during the day as I regard them as "Hired Killers"

1 Like

Re: Should Heavy Duty Vehicles Be Banned From Roads During The Day by Nobody: 4:11pm On Sep 20, 2012
@Poster, If DANGOTE catch you ehn . .

1 Like

Re: Should Heavy Duty Vehicles Be Banned From Roads During The Day by inspirenet: 4:11pm On Sep 20, 2012
No!

cool
Re: Should Heavy Duty Vehicles Be Banned From Roads During The Day by Afam4eva(m): 4:13pm On Sep 20, 2012
They should be designated a different road from normal cars.

1 Like

Re: Should Heavy Duty Vehicles Be Banned From Roads During The Day by greatgod2012(f): 4:19pm On Sep 20, 2012
i think its a good idea, but it cant work in Nigeria, why? because of power that be!!

My opinion anyway!!
Re: Should Heavy Duty Vehicles Be Banned From Roads During The Day by eledalo: 4:21pm On Sep 20, 2012
Who will protect them from robbers at night? Or do you think the potholes and failed road will not cause accident because its night? Please learn to put yourself in the place of others. This is the same way some clapped when beggars were 'evacuated' to northern states.
I think they should ply certain routes during the day, the same way they are trying (and failing) to do in Lagos with okada.

1 Like

Re: Should Heavy Duty Vehicles Be Banned From Roads During The Day by gbadexy(m): 4:33pm On Sep 20, 2012
I support their ban 1 billion percent.
They are big enough to protect themselves, rather its car drivers that need protection from these road bullies.
A trailer driver nearly drove me out of the road this morning on abeokuta express and the stupid trailer driver didn't even bother to look his side mirror to know what happened to me despite him coming to meet me on my lane.
If they can drive as if their father own the roads, I see no reason why they can't take care of themselves at night.

2 Likes

Re: Should Heavy Duty Vehicles Be Banned From Roads During The Day by Reference(m): 4:40pm On Sep 20, 2012
Its difficult but should be given a try. However another perspective that must be considered are our dysfunctional town planning laws and urbanisation schemes that permit the frequent close contact most people have with articulated vehicles.

In Lagos, Portharcourt and other cities the distinction between residential, commercial and industrial areas has become non existent. Every house now has a shop or store in front. Petrol stations everwhere even on streets with barely one lane. Factories, markets sited anyhow. These are the things that bring trucks in touch with people. Unfortunately once you sign the CofO and approve use it becomes hard to reverse making the ban the easier option.

5 Likes

Re: Should Heavy Duty Vehicles Be Banned From Roads During The Day by SisiKill1: 4:41pm On Sep 20, 2012
Yes! Yes! Ooooh God, Yes!!!!
Re: Should Heavy Duty Vehicles Be Banned From Roads During The Day by chucky234(m): 4:41pm On Sep 20, 2012
afam4eva: They should be designated a different road from normal cars.
Guy na how many roads we get wey you want make we leave some for trailers

1 Like

Re: Should Heavy Duty Vehicles Be Banned From Roads During The Day by eledalo: 4:48pm On Sep 20, 2012
Reference: Its difficult but should be given a try. However another perspective that must be considered are our dysfunctional town planning laws and urbanisation schemes that permit the frequent close contact most people have with articulated vehicles.

In Lagos, Portharcourt and other cities the distinction between residential, commercial and industrial areas has become non existent. Every house now has a shop or store in front. Petrol stations everwhere even on streets with barely one lane. Factories, markets sited anyhow. These are the things that bring trucks in touch with people. Unfortunately once you sign the CofO and approve use it becomes hard to reverse making the ban much easier to implement.

Great perspective Reference. +10
Re: Should Heavy Duty Vehicles Be Banned From Roads During The Day by anitank(f): 4:48pm On Sep 20, 2012
THEY SHOULD BE SENT ON EXILE!!!!!!!!!
Re: Should Heavy Duty Vehicles Be Banned From Roads During The Day by Shadoky(m): 4:52pm On Sep 20, 2012
Which means some trailers that use to spend 3days going to abuja wil b spending up to one week b4 geting to abuja.Chai wat wil happen 2 my biz den.
Re: Should Heavy Duty Vehicles Be Banned From Roads During The Day by chucky234(m): 4:52pm On Sep 20, 2012
Do we need to seek people's opinion to know that those trucks has taken more lives than AIDS,Malaria and Boko Haram combined,they should be banned jare.
Re: Should Heavy Duty Vehicles Be Banned From Roads During The Day by DrKnow1(m): 4:53pm On Sep 20, 2012
The answer to the problem is a good rail network linking all the major cities in the country. All over the world, the bulk of transportation and distribution of goods is done through a good network of rail system.

2 Likes

Re: Should Heavy Duty Vehicles Be Banned From Roads During The Day by gbokukueba(m): 4:56pm On Sep 20, 2012
Only if whatever you say here count...
Re: Should Heavy Duty Vehicles Be Banned From Roads During The Day by yinchar(m): 4:57pm On Sep 20, 2012
Guys this is a very good suggestion, the rate of road accidents is too much, i think its better to create a page for this cause on FACEBOOK and tag all public & influential people, you might not know, someone from the House of Rep or Senate might get hold of this great suggestion and present it on the floor of the house.....

2 Likes

Re: Should Heavy Duty Vehicles Be Banned From Roads During The Day by Dee60: 5:04pm On Sep 20, 2012
BAD and DRACONIAN POLICY. It is like shutting down the economy, particularly in a country where it is so unsafe to drive in the night. Trailers will have more accidents as they wont see the roads (POT HOLES + NO LIGHTS. There could be more casualties. The way to solve the incidence of accidents during the day is to stop trailers that are not road-worthy. Containers fall off trailers just because they are not well latched and because the trailers are too old.

Please tell Fashola not to shut down the economy.

2 Likes

Re: Should Heavy Duty Vehicles Be Banned From Roads During The Day by sunkoye: 5:20pm On Sep 20, 2012
i was disappointed with fashola traffic laws that loudly stirred clear of heavy duty truck movement. these trucks are disasters in the day. Trucks with gas are always referred to moving bombs in developed countries and these are same trucks we struggle with in huge traffic every day. if such law exits any casualty will be contained to the barest minimum.

1 Like

Re: Should Heavy Duty Vehicles Be Banned From Roads During The Day by sylve11: 5:59pm On Sep 20, 2012
Not only Ban them for life the drivers seen driving those vehicles should be arrested also. or construct different roads for them. angry cool I detest these vehicles with all my heart! angry cool
Re: Should Heavy Duty Vehicles Be Banned From Roads During The Day by angelsing(m): 6:06pm On Sep 20, 2012
Have had a careful tot on this topic and believe me it won't work.. As a clearing agent, there will be alot of issue attach to banning heavy duty truck doing the day..i can't go into details but it just will not work. Though am in support of it.
Re: Should Heavy Duty Vehicles Be Banned From Roads During The Day by VUVUZELA10: 6:12pm On Sep 20, 2012
What happen to sections 41 and 42 of 1999 constitution as amended. Because they are drivers their rights to freedom of movement and from discrimination should be abridged. Why? I may not know but I want somebody to tell me where in the world truck drivers are consigned to moving only in the night. Some of una go bad pass Go slow President GEJ. Let us demand good roads from our government and the carnage on our roads will reduce.

1 Like

Re: Should Heavy Duty Vehicles Be Banned From Roads During The Day by unclebros: 6:19pm On Sep 20, 2012
For those calling for the Ban, read below

1. The operations of All the manufacturing industries in Lagos will be reduced to night operations, by my calculation and even with optimization of night operations, production will reduce by 60% Am sure we all know what this means.....

2. Port operations will also not be left out, you cant imagine the 'mad' congestion of containers and trucks that will occur at the port. The vessels plying our port will queue from Lagos maybe to malaysia and vessel owners will shun coming to Nigeria cos of this congestion...Am sure we all know what that means....

Result:
1. Grounded operations at port and plant operations
2. Low revenue for both the companies and state
3 streamlining of human resources.....UNEMPLOYMENT
4 Economic disaster
5. And the list continues...

FASH should rethink
While i understand the thinking of the LASG but they can not throw away the baby with the bath water.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ford Windstar Vs Toyota Sienna / Pls What Are The Dangers Of Shifting A Parked Car Without Keys. / Where To Buy Very Clean Cars Cheap.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.