Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,756 members, 7,809,904 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:55 PM

What To Do If You See A Pothole At 100km/hr Speed Or Above? - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What To Do If You See A Pothole At 100km/hr Speed Or Above? (24007 Views)

10litres Of Pms For Every 100km (city Driving) Would U Consider This High / Siena help!: Steering Vibration When On 100KM/H On My Camry 2007 SE / Toyota Camry Jerks At 80-100km/hr (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What To Do If You See A Pothole At 100km/hr Speed Or Above? by Tinyemeka(m): 7:36pm On Sep 28, 2012
It happened to me once along Enugu-PH expressway, just before Okigwe.
I had a very bad headache then and couldn't concentrate on the driving. My speed was 140km/h. The hole just appeared out of nowhere and stretched to both sides of the road.

I just reacted by instinct: both sides of the road were to deep for me to swerve off-road. I simply slammed on the brakes and dove into the pothole. The force was too much and burst my front, left wheel. Once I cleared the hole, I released the brake and focused on steering and bringing the car back to control. The rim also suffered a dent. As God would have it, there was no oncoming vehicle ahead or behind me. But the experience really scared me. Funnily, the headache also disappeared miraculously.

I find it absurd driving at 80km/hr on the expressway. Territory be known or unknown.
Re: What To Do If You See A Pothole At 100km/hr Speed Or Above? by AMINSCO(m): 7:40pm On Sep 28, 2012
Jugs make a hand break u turn
Re: What To Do If You See A Pothole At 100km/hr Speed Or Above? by bamosagie(m): 7:41pm On Sep 28, 2012
Tinyemeka: It happened to me once along Enugu-PH expressway, just before Okigwe.
I had a very bad headache then and couldn't concentrate on the driving. My speed was 140km/h. The hole just appeared out of nowhere and stretched to both sides of the road.

I just reacted by instinct: both sides of the road were to deep for me to swerve off-road. I simply slammed on the brakes and dove into the pothole. The force was too much and burst my front, left wheel. Once I cleared the hole, I released the brake and focused on steering and bringing the car back to control. The rim also suffered a dent. As God would have it, there was no oncoming vehicle ahead or behind me. But the experience really scared me. Funnily, the headache also disappeared miraculously.

I find it absurd driving at 80km/hr on the expressway. Territory be known or unknown.

Hitting the brake was a mistake, drive through it & the damage will be minimal
Re: What To Do If You See A Pothole At 100km/hr Speed Or Above? by tchaik(m): 7:50pm On Sep 28, 2012
van bonattel: fire dey go, the impact will be minimal

OMO BOI U BE JAME BOND?
Re: What To Do If You See A Pothole At 100km/hr Speed Or Above? by Wsdm: 7:55pm On Sep 28, 2012
Ikenna351:

Wrong.

ABS does not reduce the stopping distance. In fact, it increases it.

The work of ABS is to prevent any of the wheels from locking, hence, the name: Anti-Lock-Brake system.

ABS will help you to swerve out of an object without hitting it. But because the sensors on the wheels sense wheels that are about to lock in such situation, and the ABS controller reduces the pressure of blake fluid on such wheels to prevent it from locking, which will increase the stopping distance of the car. Non ABS 4 wheel disc brake car stops shorter than the ABS car, only that it will lack Anti-Lock.

Ikenna.
Re: What To Do If You See A Pothole At 100km/hr Speed Or Above? by cecegorz(m): 7:56pm On Sep 28, 2012
lumideezle: It is always safer to run into the pothole than any other course of actio. That of cause depends on the speed you are traveling.
I remember taking safe and defensive driving lessons in my former company and emphases was laid on this particular issue. They said run in2 the pothole. You are better off fixing your car than in the morgue
Guys, this is the professional thing to do. All these people saying that when you get there you will think of what to do never attended a pro driving school.

I had an experience this last December on Benin Ore road, doing about 120/140, I was following a commuter bus and after climbing a small steep and on descending the valley, I saw a whirl of dust in my front and no single trace of the white bus on the road, in a split second of wondering which kind of film trick that was, I came face2face with the monster pot hole, I slightly pressed my brakes and released as I hit the poo, rode over it and then it dawned on me that the bus driver must have swerved to avoid it and ended up deep into the bush!
Lesson 1. don't press and hold your break at such speed, your car will roll-over
Lesson 2. Don't swerve suddenly at such speed, you will end up in the bush or get smashed against the median as the case may be.

1 Like

Re: What To Do If You See A Pothole At 100km/hr Speed Or Above? by Wsdm: 7:57pm On Sep 28, 2012
Ikenna!Your knowledge of automobile is outstanding, keep it up.
Re: What To Do If You See A Pothole At 100km/hr Speed Or Above? by redsun(m): 7:58pm On Sep 28, 2012
U dont have to be on that kind of speed in d first place,u are not in a race track or autoban. That is a suicidal speed for nigeria death trap roads and that is why u guys die needlessly. The average stopping distance for a sound car driven at d speed of 70mph by a sound driver on sound road is 96metres.
Re: What To Do If You See A Pothole At 100km/hr Speed Or Above? by AdeniyiA(m): 8:02pm On Sep 28, 2012
a lot of 'enu dun r'ofo' on NL,well i'll advice u invoke d spirit of 007 formula, i tel ya,u gonna pass thru unscathed
Re: What To Do If You See A Pothole At 100km/hr Speed Or Above? by redsun(m): 8:17pm On Sep 28, 2012
Speed kills mercilessly. Apart from that it waste fuel. U can save urself a whole lot of money speeding minimally. Dont be a daredevil for nothing,if u want to be one, do it for show,fame,money and d risk of instant violent death.
Re: What To Do If You See A Pothole At 100km/hr Speed Or Above? by chidyke77(m): 8:39pm On Sep 28, 2012
redsun: U dont have to be on that kind of speed in d first place,u are not in a race track or autoban. That is a suicidal speed for nigeria death trap roads and that is why u guys die needlessly. The average stopping distance for a sound car driven at d speed of 70mph by a sound driver on sound road is 96metres.
best advice so far
y speeding at all on Nigerian roads most especially unfamiliar roads

1 Like

Re: What To Do If You See A Pothole At 100km/hr Speed Or Above? by solomto(f): 8:50pm On Sep 28, 2012
Dnt speed much if u dnt know d road well bcus hitting d pothole may lead to somersault and its always fatal.,,i witnessed one myself.
Re: What To Do If You See A Pothole At 100km/hr Speed Or Above? by redsun(m): 8:51pm On Sep 28, 2012
chidyke77: best advice so far
y speeding at all in Nigeria roads most especially unfamiliar roads

Common sense is highly endangered in nigeria. If people can just think of the consequencies of their actions before they act,d whole country will sit up. The man that is incharge of keeping the road safe will know to use the monies to fix the road for his own safety,rather than stealing it and dying untimely of car crash.
Re: What To Do If You See A Pothole At 100km/hr Speed Or Above? by Decryptor(m): 9:44pm On Sep 28, 2012
If u are driving a car like a Volvo or BMW, just continue and run over the pothole cos these cars have a very good balance but if na Peugeot or Golf product, sorry for ur life

1 Like

Re: What To Do If You See A Pothole At 100km/hr Speed Or Above? by Nobody: 10:26pm On Sep 28, 2012
Ikenna351: If you are here to learn how to drive on highway, then you should go back to driving school and start from there.

The topic simply means how to drive on highway. You dont learn driving by reading. Its a skill you learn by frrquent practice. The more you drive in the city as a beginner, the more you become skilled enough, an expert. A non expert behind the wheel or an inexperienced driver has no business with highway motoring.

I can understand why number of half baked drivers is increasing in Nigeria, since the introduction of auto transmission in today driving school. A learner will buy a car today, drive it in the city the next two days, and drive the car on highway the 3rd day. After all, he can accelerate, brake and steer the car from an object. Isn't that what driving is all about?

Learning driving with manual transmission forces one to actually imbibe the driving skill. A lot of learning takes place when a leaner is driving a manual tranny car, subconsciously. It will force you to drive as a leaner for a very long time in the city, which involves a lot of brain activity: mastering clutch engagements, when to shift to a higher and lower gears, when to use wheel brake or engine brake, etc. Unlike the auto trans that you will have only the accelerator and steering wheel to control, leaving you as dummy. The two weeks you spent in driving school are not enough to master these things. Dont expect an instructor to teach you skill he learnt after 20 years of driving in just 2 weeks.

Highway is not some exams where you read and write. It takes minutes to act on city roads, but it takes seconds for highway. You dont think on highway, you just act. Because you dont have that time to think, unlike the city driving. Its your subconscious that makes you do whatever you find yourself doing in any eventuality on highway. Its something you find yourself doing, without knowing how. Because its skill. Trust me, if you see a deep pothole on top speed, you wont remember what your instructor or someone has taught you to do in such circumstances. Everything happens in seconds. Poor judgement leads you to death or hospital. Good judgement keeps you going. All the theories you gathered as a learner ends mostly on the city roads. How you perfect your driving in the cities, is what will keep you alive first time you drive on highway.

Now to the question. Not all cars will behave the same way if you jump a deep pothole or swerve out of a pothole on top speed. Some cars are designed for highway and some are not. Likewise, the unique nature of Nigerian highways are not meant for everything on 4 wheels.

What i would do if i see myself in such situation, depends on what i am driving. Not all cars can take swerving on speed more than 100 km/h. Likewise, not all cars can maintain balance when it jumps a deep pothole on speed more than 120 km/h. This where the body weight, tire sizes, suspension & ground clearance come in. This is why am strongly against people altering the factory suspension of their cars, and still expect the car to perform as designed when it meets such situation. Such things are put into considerations when designing highway cars by the manufacturers. Altering any of it, means the car is no longer fit for high speed driving. It is that simple.

If you must drive on Nigerian highway as an inexperienced driver, dont speed upto 80 km/h. If you must drive a city car (a non handler) on Nigeria highway, dont speed beyond 80 km/h. With that speed, you can easily, brake or steer out of the pothole, without finding yourself and the car in the bush.

Ikenna.
Bro u said it all. Its like trying to learn boxing from a text book
Re: What To Do If You See A Pothole At 100km/hr Speed Or Above? by eyzeberg: 11:04pm On Sep 28, 2012
No man can explain my own experience, it was miracle till today. I was on a 160km/p on Benin - Ore expressway.I. Sighted a deep gudge at a close range, I mean and wide. Braking and swerving was totally out of my options. I can't. Still explain how I drove through it till today and still mirage to me. I belive I got my miracle that day.
Re: What To Do If You See A Pothole At 100km/hr Speed Or Above? by jude33084(m): 11:18pm On Sep 28, 2012
azpekuliar: If you SUDDENLY sight it, drive right into it while slowing down. Seen avoidable accidents and needless deaths occur just because the driver tried to dodge a pothole he sighted late. Better to end up with damaged rims, suspensions and shocks, than end up in the morgue.

Ǧ☺☺ϑ driver wink I hope Ɣ☺Ʊ applied for τhe Dangote Group Drivers trainee undecided
Re: What To Do If You See A Pothole At 100km/hr Speed Or Above? by jude33084(m): 11:22pm On Sep 28, 2012
CHIMCO: To be safe-Dont be above 80kph in an unknown terrin so as to use ur brake no matter what you see ahead.

Another Potential Dangote Driver Trainee smiley
Re: What To Do If You See A Pothole At 100km/hr Speed Or Above? by ikachi1: 1:45am On Sep 29, 2012
Driving is an art that needs improving on as time goes on. Even as experienced drivers, we do go for basic defensive driving skill from time to time. You may be an expert driver but there are certain things certainly not under your control such as other road users, fallen tree or pot holes, flat tires and so on. I assume you are talking Niger here. The list goes on and on but each situation requires that you calm your nerves and take proper action that will mitigate the consequences of any action you choose to take. In defensive driving, there are what we call "Leaving yourself an out" and "aiming high on steering". What these encourages is your ability to surmount sudden encounter with undesirable situations. Do not drive faster than you could come to a stop over 50ft in 3 seconds. This is the basic rule in controlling your speed. Now, leaving your self an out means avoiding reaction with the least dangerous action with minimal damage and little or no threat to life. It includes deciding to drive into the hole or veering of the road to avoid it. Again your decision must be guided by the environment the pot hole is. What should guide you are many but of paramount importance are: Does the road have a Kerb,? Is there a big tree you can hit if you attempt to dodge? is there a deep pit beside? and finally, is there a wrecked car beside the road? In the presence of all these, you are advices to drive into the pot hole while stepping on your brake with your hands firm on the steering at quarter after ten position of the hour and minute hands on the clock. Remember the worst possible outcome in this case is a damaged car but you will save your dear life. I hope this helps.

3 Likes

Re: What To Do If You See A Pothole At 100km/hr Speed Or Above? by tnktosin(m): 2:27am On Sep 29, 2012
100km/h is slowwwwww..... grin I dun drive at such speeds on nice tarred roads. If u asked at abt 100mph, I can advice berra, riding or driving #am a speed freak#
Re: What To Do If You See A Pothole At 100km/hr Speed Or Above? by Evasmil4(m): 3:39am On Sep 29, 2012
moodswing: Confess your sins and say your last prayer. Jump to the back seat and continuously shout Chinekeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!.

Till you blank out......................

Next question........

oh boy, you funny die, LWKM.......lol.......
Re: What To Do If You See A Pothole At 100km/hr Speed Or Above? by Wallie(m): 4:15am On Sep 29, 2012
So as not to feel like Post Police, I won't quote some misinformation in this thread but I'll just address some of them quickly.

1. ABS will reduce your stopping distance on most road surfaces that is wet or dry but can increase the stopping distance on gravel and snow covered roads. Remember the old cars that you have to pump their brakes before they stop? That's what the ABS does at super-human speed (milliseconds). It pumps (modulates) the brakes when skidding is detected at the tires. Skidding or sliding increases your stopping distance and pumping your brakes allow your tires to gain momentary traction before you step or apply the brakes again. This is what is called “threshold braking”.

2. To people saying you shouldn't speed in an unknown area - that makes very little sense. What happens if you're driving on the same road you drive on every day except a tire or big object is now in the middle of your lane at night? Won't you have to decide whether to run over it or swerve around it? How's your response any different from seeing a pothole in the middle of Timbuktu?

The bottom line is that the question is directed to emergency response or object avoidance when driving and not some lecture on whether speeding is proper or not. Moreover, it’s not like 100kph is considered speeding on the highway!

3. FWD, AWD, RWD, BMW and Benz all have little or nothing to do with avoiding a pothole, per se. If you're trying to imply that high end cars will typically do well in object avoidance tests, that may be true but is more a function of the presence of Electronic Stability Control (ESC) or what BMW calls Dynamic Stability Control (DSC), tires, and suspension. If your tire is very bald and you induce a skid, better brace yourself for impact because you're going for a ride and no "nanny" will save you!

ANY car that has ESC, ok suspension and good tires will typically recover easier from oversteer (when the back end of your car slides out) or understeer (when the front tires are not responding to steering). ESC will straighten out your car when it starts to slide by applying brake to any of the wheels to correct the problem. That’s why it is called “nanny” because it watches over you and makes you feel like you’re related to Michael Schumacher.

4. I don tire to respond...have a good weekend!

1 Like

Re: What To Do If You See A Pothole At 100km/hr Speed Or Above? by dj5naira(m): 5:33am On Sep 29, 2012
Make the sign of the cross.
Re: What To Do If You See A Pothole At 100km/hr Speed Or Above? by dj5naira(m): 6:15am On Sep 29, 2012
bigv: First i must say thumbs up for all those who made reasonable comments. However i must add that no two driving experience are the same! The stunt A pulled at the same situation might not apply for B. Now to the question, no theory said here would apply to you when faced with the situation real time, simply because there are a thousand and one factors that would be responsible for whatever decision you'd take and you alone at that short time would make the best decision. Factors like what kinda vehicle you're driving(bus,car,brand,e.t.c), the proximity of other road users, how many people are on board and a whole lot of issues would be considered within that split second. So you'd clearly see friends that a whole lot of factors are involved when it comes to making decisions while driving. Above all driving is like every other act, practice(driving) makes perfect. Trust me you might not be really perfect, but you'd have gathered enough experience that'll make you a better driver. Ciao!
grin
Re: What To Do If You See A Pothole At 100km/hr Speed Or Above? by dj5naira(m): 6:20am On Sep 29, 2012
cecegorz:
Lesson 1. don't press and hold your break at such speed, your car will roll-over
...like retirement plans.
Re: What To Do If You See A Pothole At 100km/hr Speed Or Above? by browncool(m): 6:21am On Sep 29, 2012
SlyIg: Simply project and take off like a plane into the air. But remember to land at the tamac.
Taking off is optional but landing is inevitable
Re: What To Do If You See A Pothole At 100km/hr Speed Or Above? by eaglechild: 6:53am On Sep 29, 2012
Two friends of mine narrated their personal experiences on this issue.
1. was going frm Enugu to Awka (in a 2001 toyota camry) on the highway when he suddenly saw a pothole, at about 100-110km/hr, and instinctively he swerved to avoid it, while hitting the brakes.
He instantly went AIRBORNE, flew over the dividing bush(barrier) and found himself on the other side of the dual carriage way facing the opposite direction.
His windscreen was damaged and the passenger roof had a dent.
He came out almost without a scratch as he was glued to his seat by his SEATBELT.
2. was going frm Enugu toward PH on the highway ON A RAINY DAY! (in a 2005 honda accord and saw a pot hole in the MIDDLE of the road.
He felt it was ok to swerve cause he was doing just 80km/hr.
He swerved towards the left and partially off the road and the car surprisingly went AIRBORNE and ended up, 'wheels up' in the opposite direction.
He came out without a scratch as he was glued to his seat by his SEATBELT.

LESSONS
1. ALWAYS!! wear ur seat belt! U rarely pull a dead body frm under one.
2. Be wary of WET surfaces as cars are much more likely to skid.
3. fight the temptation of swerving at high speeds.

2 Likes

Re: What To Do If You See A Pothole At 100km/hr Speed Or Above? by mu2sa2: 7:50am On Sep 29, 2012
Denn: Fatal can also mean " causing destruction, misfortune, ruin, or failure: The withdrawal of funds was fatal to the project."

The guy ruined some expensive vehicle parts and it could have been "fatal" to his pocket

Source: dictionary.com
An accident that does not involve loss of life is not a fatal accident; you may correctly describe such accident as "ghastly".
Re: What To Do If You See A Pothole At 100km/hr Speed Or Above? by abock: 7:55am On Sep 29, 2012
The best way to deal with a pothole on high speed if you cannot swerve is to apply your brakes a little just to bring down your speed and release the brakes before entering the pothole,try as much as possible to avoid entering with all wheels if yuo can enter with one side will be of good help so as to avoid summesulting.
Re: What To Do If You See A Pothole At 100km/hr Speed Or Above? by fapcrook(m): 8:12am On Sep 29, 2012
berem: carry your car on your head and jump and pass the pothole shikena!
YOU ARE SO DRYYYYY

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Pictures Of A Lady Riding Okada / Train And Truck Collide In Lagos / 2017 Lamborghini Centenario: One Of The Fast Cars To Beat

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.