Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,199 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 04:25 AM

Would You Advice A Programmer (beginner) To Start With Fortran - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Would You Advice A Programmer (beginner) To Start With Fortran (1347 Views)

Anybody Remember COBOL And FORTRAN? / I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? / How Can I Create Multiplication Table Using Qbasic And Fortran? PLS HELP! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Would You Advice A Programmer (beginner) To Start With Fortran by DexxyAlebs(m): 2:12am On Sep 22, 2012
what's your take on this would a advice a beginner to start with fortran programming and your reasons pls and if you u have access to any online material it would be appreciated!
Re: Would You Advice A Programmer (beginner) To Start With Fortran by pneumaticos(m): 1:07pm On Sep 22, 2012
i would need u to help me with wat they do with fortran..why dont u start with c# that is easy and robust..u can download materials from 4shear.com after registration
Re: Would You Advice A Programmer (beginner) To Start With Fortran by sino(m): 1:28pm On Sep 22, 2012
I used to think that fortran was old and cant be used for anything useful other than writing syntax to solve quadratic equations until i was told that my schools' website was basically fortran and vb.

I never learnt fortran though, its one of the old langauges and its still being thought @ all levels in nigerian schools.

i'll suggest java though, easy to learn and work with. The fact that it is object oriented and platform independent makes it cool.

I stand to be corrected though.
Re: Would You Advice A Programmer (beginner) To Start With Fortran by DexxyAlebs(m): 2:46pm On Sep 22, 2012
Frm wat i learnt i discovered dat most public tertiary institutions still teach fortran! Just want to knw how efficient the fortran would b for their future use!
Re: Would You Advice A Programmer (beginner) To Start With Fortran by pneumaticos(m): 4:49pm On Sep 22, 2012
DexxyAlebs: Frm wat i learnt i discovered dat most public tertiary institutions still teach fortran! Just want to knw how efficient the fortran would b for their future use!

does fortran have a future in the progamming world..suit ur self

1 Like

Re: Would You Advice A Programmer (beginner) To Start With Fortran by tessyade: 3:28pm On Sep 24, 2012
@op i don't think fortran is still useful, it is an old and obsolete program. I still wonder why our tertiary institutions still teach it anyway.
Re: Would You Advice A Programmer (beginner) To Start With Fortran by Maleeq(m): 4:38pm On Sep 24, 2012
tessyade: @op i don't think fortran is still useful, it is an old and obsolete program. I still wonder why our tertiary institutions still teach it anyway.
My guess; the lecturers too lazy to upgrade themselves!
Re: Would You Advice A Programmer (beginner) To Start With Fortran by judezion: 5:50pm On Sep 24, 2012
What do one need with fortran?just learn java or c# to get the gist of programing.from that platform one can possibly determine whether
he wants to do programing for commercial or academic purpose.
Re: Would You Advice A Programmer (beginner) To Start With Fortran by DexxyAlebs(m): 7:21pm On Sep 24, 2012
From what i Gathered today i was told dat fortran is only used as a foundation for students in their intro to computer sci cmp/csc 102, that they would be taught c++ by 200 lvl
Re: Would You Advice A Programmer (beginner) To Start With Fortran by kodewrita(m): 4:01pm On Sep 25, 2012
start simple. www.python.org
Re: Would You Advice A Programmer (beginner) To Start With Fortran by jeebz: 11:44pm On Sep 26, 2012
If you are interest in scientific computing and programming, you may consider Mathlab, Octave or Python with Numpy & Scipy. You may also learn either C or C++.Python any day anytime for a starter. Easy to earn and very extesible.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

OPEN SOURCE Has Been Evil Too! / Reviews Needed (i'm Beta Testing A Site) /

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.