Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,635 members, 7,958,910 topics. Date: Thursday, 26 September 2024 at 07:14 AM

Modernghana.com: Nigeriophobia In Ghana. My Journey Across West Africa. - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Modernghana.com: Nigeriophobia In Ghana. My Journey Across West Africa. (1499 Views)

Which Market Is The Biggest Market In West Africa? / Nairaland's Journey To 1 Million Members / Miss West Africa Nigeria Beauty Pageant 2013 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Modernghana.com: Nigeriophobia In Ghana. My Journey Across West Africa. by pof600: 5:57am On Sep 24, 2012
" Pamelap is a small community and would be difficult to find accommodation. The Sierra Leonean women became protective of me. I became immensely affected by all the acts of kindness. There are kind people almost everywhere, especially women. Majority of Westerners who visit Ghana would affirm that Ghanaians are hospitable and generous people. Most West Africans would, however, disagree with that observation. I bow my head in shame conceding this truth. Nigerians, Sierra Leoneans, Liberians and many other West African nationals are cast in a certain light on the mind of the typical Ghanaian - uncultured and prone to immoral behavior. Nigeriophobia is an example. This is the irrational fear that almost every Nigerian is prone to criminal behavior and that one must avoid coming in contact with them at every possible opportunity. This unfounded fear is widespread not only in Ghana but around the continent and beyond. There is no truth to this, however. Nigeria is the most populous country in Africa and the 7th populous in the world and has over six times the population of Ghana. In terms of land mass, Nigeria is about four times the size of Ghana. I can put it in this form - in every square mile of random world population, a Nigerian has about 1.9-2.0% chance of appearing than a Ghanaian. The Ghanaian population is about 15% of the Nigerian. One and half (1.5) percent of the Nigerian population is about 2.4million. That is the population of Accra and Cape Coast combined. Imagine criminals the size of both Accra and Cape Coast' populations combined, unleashed on the world from a single country. Well that is one and half percent of the Nigerian population. By these mathematical considerations, it makes lots of sense to dismiss the notion that almost every Nigerian is prone to criminal behavior. The intelligent approach to this is to consider every criminal or immoral behavior on individual basis. Every Ghanaian is only credit to Ghana but personally responsible for their actions. If this principle is true, we can agree that it applies to every country. "

An except from an article on popular Ghana website.

http://www.modernghana.com/news/419420/50/my-journey-across-west-africa-pt-4-the-ride-throug.html
Re: Modernghana.com: Nigeriophobia In Ghana. My Journey Across West Africa. by alexharry: 5:52pm On Oct 18, 2013
That is what u think, i bet Nigeria still remain the Best Nation in Africa irrespect of all the critisms.
Re: Modernghana.com: Nigeriophobia In Ghana. My Journey Across West Africa. by Nobody: 8:35pm On Oct 18, 2013
Truth remains EVERY country has good and bad citizens. Just like we've good naija citizens, we've bad ones that tarnish our image locally and intercontinental

pof600: Majority of Westerners who visit Ghana would affirm that Ghanaians are hospitable and generous people. Most West Africans would, however, disagree with that observation. I bow my head in shame conceding this truth. Nigerians, Sierra Leoneans, Liberians and many other West African nationals are cast in a certain light on the mind of the typical Ghanaian - uncultured and prone to immoral behavior. Nigeriophobia is an example. This is the irrational fear that almost every Nigerian is prone to criminal behavior and that one must avoid coming in contact with them at every possible opportunity. This unfounded fear is widespread not only in Ghana but around the continent and beyond.

@the bolded, I don't support the nigeriaphobia. It's one of the reasons african countries especially Southafrica carries out xenophobia on nigerians. It makes no sense. You can't judge someone by other people's behaviour. But that said, I empathize with the countries(I'm not saying the nigerianphobia or any other country-phobia is right, it's absolutely wrong) that think such absurdly. The bad lives that some nigerians tend to live in the host country leaves a lot to be desired. Bad news that comes from nigeria and some nigerians in other parts of the world kinda pollutes the minds of these countries' citizens.

Just like we tend to see an average southafrican as xenophobic. Just like we tend to see an average muslim as a potential terrorist due to the incessant destroying of human lives carried in the name of islam by muslim extremist group. It doesn't make it right but it is what it is
Re: Modernghana.com: Nigeriophobia In Ghana. My Journey Across West Africa. by K4: 10:46pm On Oct 18, 2013
It is purely a function of behaviour,in my opinion.We all respond more positively to people whose behaviour we find agreable,dont we?I know for a fact that some nigerians also hate ghanaians.so,why are u making it as if it is only a ghanaian thing?
Re: Modernghana.com: Nigeriophobia In Ghana. My Journey Across West Africa. by dasparrow: 12:54pm On Oct 19, 2013
K4: It is purely a function of behaviour,in my opinion.We all respond more positively to people whose behaviour we find agreable,dont we?I know for a fact that some nigerians also hate ghanaians.so,why are u making it as if it is only a ghanaian thing?

This is no time for sentiments and I really dislike people like you who think it is okay to taint all people with the same brush. Would you like it if a white person considered you a thief, a criminal, unintelligent, etc all because you are a black person? Why do you think it is okay to treat people in a wicked manner all because of their ethnic or racial affiliation which by the way they did not choose?

Did you even bother to click on the link and read the article? For your information, the writer of the article - his name is Muntaka Chasant - is actually a GHANIAN who decided to travel to various West African countries and write down the experiences he encountered in each West African country he visited in a journal. Then he decided to share his travel experiences with the readers on the modernghana.com website.

Let me tell you something, thanks to Nairaland, I am now aware of how bigoted the average black African is. What makes this fact even more worrisome is the fact that black Africans see nothing wrong in discriminating against other black Africans but are quick to open their big stinking mouths to complain when the white people treat black people like crap in their countries. I was brought into this world by Nigerian parents due to no fault of my own and was born and have spent a greater part of my life in the western world. I don't go about scamming people or taking what does not belong to me because I feel that is wrong. So God help that demented African or wherever the person might be from that will automatically accuse me of being a criminal or immoral all because of my cultural lineage or heritage. When I am done dealing with that person, the person will regret ever meeting me.

Lastly, I cannot blame those Nigerians who have developed feelings of dislike for Ghanians. Can you blame them? When Ghanians think that all Nigerians or most Nigerians are criminals or immoral and hence treat them with disdain, what do you expect? You expect the Nigerian to keep loving you when you treat the average Nigerian like crap all because you feel every Nigerian is a criminal? I cannot speak for other Nigerians but I will speak for myself. I cannot be fond of any group of people who treat me badly and think the worse of me all because I am a Nigerian. This is why I will rather spend my money visiting countries where I will be treated with respect than visit some 3rd world black African country whose citizens act like they left their brains in the toilet.
Re: Modernghana.com: Nigeriophobia In Ghana. My Journey Across West Africa. by K4: 3:13pm On Oct 19, 2013
Frankly I don't give a fvck about what you think about what I said. and what is wrong with what I said? I said some Nigerians dislike Ghanaians and Ghana very much. is that a lie? Look, I know your country and people more than you think and have personally observed some of the hatred for the Ghanaian in your country. I am not talking about what I heard or read somewhere. I am talking about my personal experiences.

For a very long time, most nigerians have had nothing but complete contempt for Ghanaians. These days, Ghanaians are wising up.

My personal philosophy is that friendship is based on mutual respect. Bros, you are free to go wherever you want to. It is your personal decision. no one is forcing you to visit any country.

dasparrow:

This is no time for sentiments and I really dislike people like you who think it is okay to taint all people with the same brush. Would you like it if a white person considered you a thief, a criminal, unintelligent, etc all because you are a black person? Why do you think it is okay to treat people in a wicked manner all because of their ethnic or racial affiliation which by the way they did not choose?

Did you even bother to click on the link and read the article? For your information, the writer of the article - his name is Muntaka Chasant - is actually a GHANIAN who decided to travel to various West African countries and write down the experiences he encountered in each West African country he visited in a journal. Then he decided to share his travel experiences with the readers on the modernghana.com website.

Let me tell you something, thanks to Nairaland, I am now aware of how bigoted the average black African is. What makes this fact even more worrisome is the fact that black Africans see nothing wrong in discriminating against other black Africans but are quick to open their big stinking mouths to complain when the white people treat black people like crap in their countries. I was brought into this world by Nigerian parents due to no fault of my own and was born and have spent a greater part of my life in the western world. I don't go about scamming people or taking what does not belong to me because I feel that is wrong. So God help that demented African or wherever the person might be from that will automatically accuse me of being a criminal or immoral all because of my cultural lineage or heritage. When I am done dealing with that person, the person will regret ever meeting me.

Lastly, I cannot blame those Nigerians who have developed feelings of dislike for Ghanians. Can you blame them? When Ghanians think that all Nigerians or most Nigerians are criminals or immoral and hence treat them with disdain, what do you expect? You expect the Nigerian to keep loving you when you treat the average Nigerian like crap all because you feel every Nigerian is a criminal? I cannot speak for other Nigerians but I will speak for myself. I cannot be fond of any group of people who treat me badly and think the worse of me all because I am a Nigerian. This is why I will rather spend my money visiting countries where I will be treated with respect than visit some 3rd world black African country whose citizens act like they left their brains in the toilet.
Re: Modernghana.com: Nigeriophobia In Ghana. My Journey Across West Africa. by pof600: 8:43am On Oct 26, 2013
K4: It is purely a function of behaviour,in my opinion.We all respond more positively to people whose behaviour we find agreable,dont we?I know for a fact that some nigerians also hate ghanaians.so,why are u making it as if it is only a ghanaian thing?

Accurate assessment, but where is your balance with regards to the topic of this post?

(1) (Reply)

Dele Giwa: Man Among Men Of His Epoch / Online Mobile Phone Shopping In Nigeria / Nicki Minaj Puts Enormous B00bs On Display In New Video

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.