Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,563 members, 7,812,822 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:01 PM

Just A Word Of Advise From HR Peeps In The House. - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Just A Word Of Advise From HR Peeps In The House. (709 Views)

The Biggest Mistake I See On Resumes - Google Head Of HR / Any HR Peeps In The House? A Word Of Advise / Peeps In London A Question Bout Internship (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Just A Word Of Advise From HR Peeps In The House. by obitwo: 9:16am On Sep 25, 2012
A friend has an issue which he confided in me and through my few years in HR, I’ve not come across such an issue and I’m wondering if someone else has. He joined Bank A some years ago and before joining, his résumé was sent in by a senior colleague of his who quoted his age as two years younger. While filling some forms he maintained the age on the résumé. However, he rescinded on the decision and talked to the guys in HR to withdraw his application. He was however told that it’s not that serious and given another form to fill which he backed up with an original copy of his birth certificate as a proof of his age.
All the years he worked with Bank A, his record on the account information showed his actual DOB, which was the only place he could check his birth date and he assumed all was well. He was confirmed six months later and had no issues with the bank.

Fast forward to two years later, he resigned and joined Bank B. He once again presented his original birth certificate as the evidence of his DOB. However, when he was about to be confirmed, they wrote his previous employer (Bank A), to verify his details in their records. However, to his chagrin, they quoted an entirely different DOB. He thereafter complained and they re-sent another info quoting his age as what was originally on the résumé sent (i.e two years younger). He called and visited his previous employers frequently but they claimed that that was what they had in his records. However, there was no other document to verify his age from them. (No birth certificate or declaration of age).

I advised him some time ago to write Bank A but his letter was quite damaging, listing names and vivid events and I told him there’s no way they would respond. I advised him to write the letter apologizing for the mix up and that he submitted his birth certificate as an evidence of his DOB and that when he checked his customer information on the banking application, it showed his actual DOB. Fair enough, they responded to Bank B, correcting his DOB. However, Bank B is suspecting foul play and has asked why the several inconsistencies. As a result Bank A, sent the letter written by my friend and some other first form he filled showing his DOB as two years younger. However, there’s no evidence of his DOB attached.

I’ve told him to talk to the Head of HR in his new bank and explain things himself. However, he is very apprehensive and blames me for the letter I asked him to write to his previous employers which now seems to be working against him. He's a very dear friend and a family man and I just cant get over the thought or possibility of him losing his job.
Re: Just A Word Of Advise From HR Peeps In The House. by Mustay(m): 6:14pm On Sep 26, 2012
"I advised him some time ago to write Bank A but his letter was quite damaging, listing names and vivid events and I told him there’s no way they would respond."

I don't think you're to blame here. Maybe before he wrote the letter, you could have given him a rough idea of what he should (not) write - that is if you didn't already but you've done your best as a friend here.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

A Great Opportunity To Get The Right Tools For Business And Personal Management / Best Career For Person With Hearing Impaired In Nigeria / I Need A Professional Advice Pls Someone Should Get Back Too Me ..urgent Pls

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.