Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,561 members, 7,840,330 topics. Date: Saturday, 25 May 2024 at 09:46 PM

DOES GOD REALLY EXIST; WHAT DO YOU THINK? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / DOES GOD REALLY EXIST; WHAT DO YOU THINK? (1307 Views)

As An Atheist,if God Does Not Exist, What About Witchcraft N Wizardry? / Does God Really Exist? What Makes You Believe? / Do Aliens and Vampires Really Exist? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

DOES GOD REALLY EXIST; WHAT DO YOU THINK? by PLENTYNAIR(m): 12:53pm On Sep 25, 2012
HAS THIS QUESTION EVER CROSSED YOUR MIND?

This is a real discussion between a professor and his student.

TAKE TIME TO READ. It's worth reading it.

Professor : You are a Christian, aren’t you, son ?

Student : Yes, sir.

Professor: So, you believe in GOD ?

Student : Absolutely, sir.

Professor : Is GOD good ?

Student : Sure.

Professor: Is GOD all powerful ?

Student : Yes.

Professor: My brother died of cancer even though he prayed to GOD to heal him. Most of us would attempt to help others who are ill. But GOD didn’t. How is this GOD good then? Hmm?

(Student was silent.)

Professor: You can’t answer, can you ? Let’s start again, young fella. Is GOD good?

Professor: Is satan good ?

Student : No.

Professor: Where does satan come from ?

Student : From … GOD …

Professor: That’s right. Tell me son, is there evil in this world?

Professor: Evil is everywhere, isn’t it ? And GOD did make everything. Correct?

Professor: So who created evil ?

(Student did not answer.)

Professor: Is there sickness? Immorality? Hatred? Ugliness? All these terrible things exist in the world, don’t they?

Professor: So, who created them ?

(Student had no answer.)

Professor: Science says you have 5 Senses you use to identify and observe the world around you. Tell me, son, have you ever seen GOD?

Student : No, sir.

Professor: Tell us if you have ever heard your GOD?

Student : No , sir.

Professor: Have you ever felt your GOD, tasted your GOD, smelt your GOD? Have you ever had any sensory perception of GOD for that matter?

Student : No, sir. I’m afraid I haven’t.

Professor: Yet you still believe in Him?

Professor : According to Empirical, Testable, Demonstrable Protocol, Science says your GOD doesn’t exist. What do you say to that, son?

Student : Nothing. I only have my faith.

Professor: Yes, faith. And that is the problem Science has.

Student : Professor, is there such a thing as heat?

Professor: Yes.

Student : And is there such a thing as cold?

Student : No, sir. There isn’t.

(The lecture theater became very quiet with this turn of events.)

Student : Sir, you can have lots of heat, even more heat, superheat, mega heat, white heat, a little heat or no heat. But we don’t have anything called cold. We can hit 458 degrees below zero which is no heat, but we can’t go any further after that. There is no such thing as cold. Cold is only a word we use to describe the absence of heat. We cannot measure cold. Heat is energy. Cold is not the opposite of heat, sir, just the absence of it.

(There was pin-drop silence in the lecture theater.)

Student : What about darkness, Professor? Is there such a thing as darkness?

Professor: Yes. What is night if there isn’t darkness?

Student : You’re wrong again, sir. Darkness is the absence of something. You can have low light, normal light, bright light, flashing light. But if you have no light constantly, you have nothing and its called darkness, isn’t it? In reality, darkness isn’t. If it is, well you would be able to make darkness darker, wouldn’t you?

Professor: So what is the point you are making, young man ?

Student : Sir, my point is your philosophical premise is flawed.

Professor: Flawed ? Can you explain how?

Student : Sir, you are working on the premise of duality. You argue there is life and then there is death, a good GOD and a bad GOD. You are viewing the concept of GOD as something finite, something we can measure. Sir, Science can’t even explain a thought. It uses electricity and magnetism, but has never seen, much less fully understood either one. To view death as the opposite of life is to be ignorant of the fact that death cannot exist as a substantive thing.

Death is not the opposite of life: just the absence of it. Now tell me, Professor, do you teach your students that they evolved from a monkey?

Professor: If you are referring to the natural evolutionary process, yes, of course, I do.

Student : Have you ever observed evolution with your own eyes, sir?

(The Professor shook his head with a smile, beginning to realize where the argument was going.)

Student : Since no one has ever observed the process of evolution at work and cannot even prove that this process is an on-going endeavor. Are you not teaching your opinion, sir? Are you not a scientist but a preacher?

(The class was in uproar.)

Student : Is there anyone in the class who has ever seen the Professor’s brain?

(The class broke out into laughter. )

Student : Is there anyone here who has ever heard the Professor’s brain, felt it, touched or smelt it? No one appears to have done so. So, according to the established Rules of Empirical, Stable, Demonstrable Protocol, Science says that you have no brain, sir. With all due respect, sir, how do we then trust your lectures, sir?

(The room was silent. The Professor stared at the student, his face unfathomable.)

Professor: I guess you’ll have to take them on faith, son.

Student : That is it sir … Exactly ! The link between man & GOD is FAITH. That is all that keeps things alive and moving.

P.S.

I believe you have enjoyed the conversation. And if so, you’ll probably want your friends / colleagues to enjoy the same, won’t you?

Forward this to increase their knowledge … or FAITH.

By the way, that student was EINSTEIN.

4 Likes

Re: DOES GOD REALLY EXIST; WHAT DO YOU THINK? by mkmyers45(m): 1:07pm On Sep 25, 2012
PLENTYNAIR: HAS THIS QUESTION EVER CROSSED YOUR MIND?

This is a real discussion between a professor and his student.

TAKE TIME TO READ. It's worth reading it.

Professor : You are a Christian, aren’t you, son ?

Professor: So, you believe in GOD ?

Student : Absolutely, sir.

Professor : Is GOD good ?

Student : Sure.

Professor: Is GOD all powerful ?

Professor: My brother died of cancer even though he prayed to GOD to heal him. Most of us would attempt to help others who are ill. But GOD didn’t. How is this GOD good then? Hmm?

(Student was silent.)

Professor: You can’t answer, can you ? Let’s start again, young fella. Is GOD good?

Professor: Is satan good ?

Student : No.

Professor: Where does satan come from ?

Student : From … GOD …

Professor: That’s right. Tell me son, is there evil in this world?

Professor: Evil is everywhere, isn’t it ? And GOD did make everything. Correct?

Professor: So who created evil ?

(Student did not answer.)

Professor: Is there sickness? Immorality? Hatred? Ugliness? All these terrible things exist in the world, don’t they?

Professor: So, who created them ?

(Student had no answer.)

Professor: Science says you have 5 Senses you use to identify and observe the world around you. Tell me, son, have you ever seen GOD?

Student : No, sir.

Professor: Tell us if you have ever heard your GOD?

Student : No , sir.

Professor: Have you ever felt your GOD, tasted your GOD, smelt your GOD? Have you ever had any sensory perception of GOD for that matter?

Student : No, sir. I’m afraid I haven’t.

Professor: Yet you still believe in Him?

Professor : According to Empirical, Testable, Demonstrable Protocol, Science says your GOD doesn’t exist. What do you say to that, son?

Student : Nothing. I only have my faith.

Professor: Yes, faith. And that is the problem Science has.

Student : Professor, is there such a thing as heat?

Student : And is there such a thing as cold?

Student : No, sir. There isn’t.

(The lecture theater became very quiet with this turn of events.)

Student : Sir, you can have lots of heat, even more heat, superheat, mega heat, white heat, a little heat or no heat. But we don’t have anything called cold. We can hit 458 degrees below zero which is no heat, but we can’t go any further after that. There is no such thing as cold. Cold is only a word we use to describe the absence of heat. We cannot measure cold. Heat is energy. Cold is not the opposite of heat, sir, just the absence of it.

(There was pin-drop silence in the lecture theater.)

Student : What about darkness, Professor? Is there such a thing as darkness?

Professor: Yes. What is night if there isn’t darkness?

Student : You’re wrong again, sir. Darkness is the absence of something. You can have low light, normal light, bright light, flashing light. But if you have no light constantly, you have nothing and its called darkness, isn’t it? In reality, darkness isn’t. If it is, well you would be able to make darkness darker, wouldn’t you?

Professor: So what is the point you are making, young man ?

Student : Sir, my point is your philosophical premise is flawed.

Professor: Flawed ? Can you explain how?

Student : Sir, you are working on the premise of duality. You argue there is life and then there is death, a good GOD and a bad GOD. You are viewing the concept of GOD as something finite, something we can measure. Sir, Science can’t even explain a thought. It uses electricity and magnetism, but has never seen, much less fully understood either one. To view death as the opposite of life is to be ignorant of the fact that death cannot exist as a substantive thing.

Death is not the opposite of life: just the absence of it. Now tell me, Professor, do you teach your students that they evolved from a monkey?

Professor: If you are referring to the natural evolutionary process, yes, of course, I do.

Student : Have you ever observed evolution with your own eyes, sir?

(The Professor shook his head with a smile, beginning to realize where the argument was going.)

Student : Since no one has ever observed the process of evolution at work and cannot even prove that this process is an on-going endeavor. Are you not teaching your opinion, sir? Are you not a scientist but a preacher?

(The class was in uproar.)

Student : Is there anyone in the class who has ever seen the Professor’s brain?

(The class broke out into laughter. )

Student : Is there anyone here who has ever heard the Professor’s brain, felt it, touched or smelt it? No one appears to have done so. So, according to the established Rules of Empirical, Stable, Demonstrable Protocol, Science says that you have no brain, sir. With all due respect, sir, how do we then trust your lectures, sir?

(The room was silent. The Professor stared at the student, his face unfathomable.)

Student : That is it sir … Exactly ! The link between man & GOD is FAITH. That is all that keeps things alive and moving.

P.S.

I believe you have enjoyed the conversation. And if so, you’ll probably want your friends / colleagues to enjoy the same, won’t you?

Forward this to increase their knowledge … or FAITH.

By the way, that student was EINSTEIN.

Must you lie to favour God? Which Einstein be that? This whole write up is a fake and dosent even go close to proving god

Nonsensical stu.pidity
Re: DOES GOD REALLY EXIST; WHAT DO YOU THINK? by mkmyers45(m): 1:08pm On Sep 25, 2012
Double Post
Re: DOES GOD REALLY EXIST; WHAT DO YOU THINK? by mkmyers45(m): 1:10pm On Sep 25, 2012
The person who wrote this whole thing ma sef....WTF is wrong with him? Is heat and cold not measures of temperature?
Re: DOES GOD REALLY EXIST; WHAT DO YOU THINK? by EvilBrain1(m): 7:35pm On Sep 25, 2012
Total crock of bull that doesn't make any sense.

First of all, evolution has been directly observed in the field and even induced in the lab.

Secondly, any secondary student should know that cold is just a subjective feeling of low temperature relative to one's body. "Is there any such thing as cold" is a nonsense question that no science professor would answer yes to, unless maybe he has a brain tumour or something. Ditto for the darkness question.

Third, Einstein was a well known atheist. You name-dropped the wrong Nobel prize winner. You might have had a chance to get away with your lie if you'd picked someone more obscure. But no, you just had to go for the big gun, Albert Einstein to validate your rétarded story.

Try harder next time.
Re: DOES GOD REALLY EXIST; WHAT DO YOU THINK? by Kay17: 8:00pm On Sep 25, 2012
The one I want to know is how one gets to know he has a brain and its location, without any sort of experience.
Re: DOES GOD REALLY EXIST; WHAT DO YOU THINK? by wiegraf: 8:34pm On Sep 25, 2012
These are american

A liberal muslim homosexual ACLU lawyer professor and abortion doctor was teaching a class on Karl Marx.

"Before the class begins, you must get on your knees and worship Marx and accept that he was the most highly-evolved being the world has ever known, even greater than Jesus Christ!"

At this moment, a brave, patriotic, pro-life Navy SEAL champion who had served 1500 tours of duty and understood the necessity of war and fully supported all military decision made by the United States stood up and held up a rock.

"How old is this rock?"

The arrogant professor smirked quite Jewishly and smugly replied, "4.6 billion years, you stupid Christian".

"Wrong. It's been 5,000 years since God created it. If it was 4.6 billion years old and evolution, as you say, is real... then it should be an animal now"

The professor was visibly shaken, and dropped his chalk and copy of Origin of the Species. He stormed out of the room crying those liberal crocodile tears.

The students applauded and all registered Republican that day and accepted Jesus as their lord and savior. An eagle named "Small Government" flew into the room and perched atop the American Flag and shed a tear on the chalk. The pledge of allegiance was read several times, and God himself showed up and enacted a flat tax rate across the country.

The professor lost his tenure and was fired the next day. He died of the gay plague AIDS and was tossed into the lake of fire for all eternity.
Re: DOES GOD REALLY EXIST; WHAT DO YOU THINK? by wiegraf: 8:38pm On Sep 25, 2012
THE MARINE AND THE ATHEIST PROFESSOR

An atheist professor, author of several books such as “Heartland America: Why I Hate It” and “Religion: Puerile Nonsense or Dangerous Threat?” was teaching his college class about the Gay Pagan Self-Esteem Program newly mandated by the state. He then told the class that he was going to prove that there is no God. He said, "God, if you are real, then I want you to knock me off this platform. I'll give you 15 minutes!"

Five minutes went by. He kept taunting God, saying, "Here I am, God. I'm still waiting.”

Ten minutes. He continued to mercilessly trash-talk God, saying “What’s the matter, God? Don’t exist or something? That’s right, you best keep walkin’."

He got down to the last couple of minutes and a Marine just returned from the Gulf and released from active duty and newly registered in the class walked up to the professor, hit him full force in the face, and sent him flying from his platform. The professor struggled up, obviously shaken and yelled, "What's the matter with you? Why did you do that?"

The Marine replied, "God was busy watching over my buddies engaged in combat, and my buddies wounded in combat, and my other buddies killed in combat."

“What’s your point?” the professor asked, placing his elitist horn rim eyeglasses back in place.

The Marine thought a moment. “So He sent me. To punch you. Because He was busy.”

Rubbing his weak, bewhiskered chin, the tweed-clad egghead asked, “So you’re saying an omnipotent, transcendent deity was incapable of multi-tasking? Or that your pugilistic abilities somehow make a convincing argument vis-à-vis the existence of said supernatural entity?”

The Marine fumed silently as the professor continued hectoring the class in his thin, nasal, New England academic voice. “Or are we to believe Jehovah himself placed you in this classroom for the express purpose of engaging me in fisticuffs to protect his honor? Why, even this little girl wouldn’t believe such nonsense,” he said, indicating little Suzy Jones in the front row, a young girl whose father was a fireman who died the previous week rescuing fetuses from a burning abortion clinic.

Little Suzy put her puppy Patches down and ran to the front of the class, kicking the professor soundly on his shins, until the balding Marxist collapsed again to the floor.

“Ah, yes…here we see a demonstration of the brutality inherent in the, ow, monotheistic tradition,” he pointed out, as Suzy and the Marine continued to rain kicks and punches onto his prostrate form. “Do I need to, ouch, point out that God has not in any strictly, oww, discernable manner actually, personally knocked me off this platform?” he asked, clinging in a fetal position to the podium.

Eventually the two defenders of the faith grew tired and stood by, sweaty and out of breath, as the professor dragged himself up to a standing position. “Yes…well, I think I’ve made my point,” he stated, his annoying, East Coast intellectual voice full of gloating despite the lack of several of his teeth.

“I will now prove that good and evil are merely relativistic Western concepts imposed on…”

Suddenly the door burst open and an imposing figure with a full, Hestonesque beard strode manfully into the classroom, rolling up the sleeves of his flowing white robe as he approached the professor.

“All right Poindexter,” he said in a commanding, booming voice, smiting the professor with a devastating roundhouse to the jaw that sent the snobbish Postmodernist hurtling from the platform.

“Right,” said God, adjusting his robes. “Want something done right, do it yourself.”

“Thank you, sir,” exclaimed the Marine, saluting sharply.

“Sure, sure,” replied God. Glancing at his watch, he strode quickly from the classroom. “Look, I gotta run…that typhoon isn’t going to devastate Bangladesh by itself.”

Obligatory... Always relevant for this copy/paste. That last line insults einsteins memory and you should feel bad. What did he ever do to you?
Re: DOES GOD REALLY EXIST; WHAT DO YOU THINK? by CrazyMan(m): 9:43pm On Sep 25, 2012
@wiegraf,

Are you saying the story is a make believe story, it never happened? That christians just made it up to feel much better that God exist? Is that what you're saying?
Re: DOES GOD REALLY EXIST; WHAT DO YOU THINK? by wiegraf: 10:30pm On Sep 25, 2012
CrazyMan: @wiegraf,

Are you saying the story is a make believe story, it never happened? That christians just made it up to feel much better that God exist? Is that what you're saying?

YES
But that's obvious... This copypasta is as old as the internet, that's besides the point though... It's usually not this ridiculous, as adding einstein's name to it is just silly... usually they're sensible enough to maybe find some obscure thinker's name, or just leave it nameless...

How you doing crazy?

edit: so many versions
http://www.snopes.com/religion/chalk.asp
http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/e/einstein-god.htm

or just google
https://www.google.com.ng/search?q=professor+and+student+is+there+god+story&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Frankly, I don't think I've ever actually read the story smiley It just pops up everywhere...it's so long and obviously a troll...
Re: DOES GOD REALLY EXIST; WHAT DO YOU THINK? by CrazyMan(m): 11:58pm On Sep 25, 2012
wiegraf: YES
But that's obvious... This copypasta is as old as the internet, that's besides the point though... It's usually not this ridiculous, as adding einstein's name to it is just silly... usually they're sensible enough to maybe find some obscure thinker's name, or just leave it nameless...

How you doing crazy?

edit: so many versions
http://www.snopes.com/religion/chalk.asp
http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/e/einstein-god.htm

or just google
https://www.google.com.ng/search?q=professor+and+student+is+there+god+story&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Frankly, I don't think I've ever actually read the story smiley It just pops up everywhere...it's so long and obviously a troll...
I'm cool...@bolded

Ok even...if it there were man made and make believe stories, the first story by the op made a lot of sense. (The one about the prof and the student)

I know you're an atheist, so you would look for cunning ways to debunk it from the onset.

I would therefore suggest that you remove your atheism approach, and take a look at the article with a neutral mind for a second time, and I'm sure we both would come to one conclusion.
Re: DOES GOD REALLY EXIST; WHAT DO YOU THINK? by wiegraf: 12:28am On Sep 26, 2012
CrazyMan:
I'm cool...@bolded

Ok even...if it there were man made and make believe stories, the first story by the op made a lot of sense. (The one about the prof and the student)

I know you're an atheist, so you would look for cunning ways to debunk it from the onset.

I would therefore suggest that you remove your atheism approach, and take a look at the article with a neutral mind for a second time, and I'm sure we both would come to one conclusion.

Which is?
The logic is flawed, asides from evil's points there's also this
"Since no one has ever observed the process of evolution at work and cannot even prove that this process is an on-going endeavor. Are you not teaching your opinion, sir? Are you not a scientist but a preacher?"
Risible understanding of evolution, even without directly observing evolution in a lab (it takes a hell of a lot more time than a lifetime for a species to evolve, well the big multicellular ones, bacteria etc evolve relentlessly actually, and this is very observable) and...

"Student : Is there anyone here who has ever heard the Professor’s brain, felt it, touched or smelt it? No one appears to have done so. So, according to the established Rules of Empirical, Stable, Demonstrable Protocol, Science says that you have no brain, sir. With all due respect, sir, how do we then trust your lectures, sir?
Student : That is it sir … Exactly ! The link between man & GOD is FAITH. That is all that keeps things alive and moving."

Similar to a stunt anony constantly tries to pull. If this is were a real prof... well, then again considering some of the phd holders around... Anyways, bottom line is the professor having a brain can be verified, he could take a scan, you could kill him and see for yourself, you could test his reflexes, responses and what not and compare them to other humans you know have brains, which is the standard human lol, etc. It's a testable situation. God is not testable, it cannot be verified or tested in a lab no matter what you do, therefore you have to accept it exists on faith.

And cunning? Do ho ho, no. That would indicate a desire to be dishonest, no cunning here, just facts.
Re: DOES GOD REALLY EXIST; WHAT DO YOU THINK? by CrazyMan(m): 8:37am On Sep 26, 2012
wiegraf: Which is?
The logic is flawed, asides from evil's points
Now you believe that evil exists right? Allow me to prove to you just like the student did to the prof...

Evil as you know, is not a positive thing that is out there in the world, but merely an absence of good.

God therefore cannot be blamed for bringing evil into existence; evil is not a thing and so was not brought into existence.

The idea that the world contains evil (i.e. certain privations of good) can thus be reconciled with the idea that it was created by a God who would not create evil; it is only the good in the world that was created, the bad is merely an absence of good.

Therefore from that theory (the prof and the student), permit me to say that evil does not exist.

And if evil doesn't exist, it means there is good somewhere and the good comes from God; which means God exist.

wiegraf: there's also this "Since no one has ever observed the process of evolution at work and cannot even prove that this process is an on-going endeavor.
There we go again...then why did you choose to believe in evolution - and reject the bible?

wiegraf: Are you not teaching your opinion, sir? Are you not a scientist but a preacher?"
Risible understanding of evolution, even without directly observing evolution in a lab (it takes a hell of a lot more time than a lifetime for a species to evolve, well the big multicellular ones, bacteria etc evolve relentlessly actually, and this is very observable) and...
Isn't 4.6 billion years a hell of a life time?

If a scientist can acknowledge the fact that the earth is billions of years old don't you think its absurd to remain adamant on the evolution theory...I mean why haven't any stones become animals, and why haven't animals evolved into humans?

If the theory is true why isn't there any visible evidence or proof to back it up?

wiegraf: "Student : Is there anyone here who has ever heard the Professor’s brain, felt it, touched or smelt it? No one appears to have done so. So, according to the established Rules of Empirical, Stable, Demonstrable Protocol, Science says that you have no brain, sir. With all due respect, sir, how do we then trust your lectures, sir?
Student : That is it sir … Exactly ! The link between man & GOD is FAITH. That is all that keeps things alive and moving."
Well...I would go with the brain theory, unless I want to begin a baseless argument.

Humans have brains...the theory has been proven true by medical experts, and some scientist.

We have visible proof the human brain exist...therefore further argument is baseless.

wiegraf: Similar to a stunt anony constantly tries to pull. If this is were a real prof... well, then again considering some of the phd holders around... Anyways, bottom line is the professor having a brain can be verified, he could take a scan, you could kill him and see for yourself, you could test his reflexes, responses and what not and compare them to other humans you know have brains, which is the standard human lol, etc. It's a testable situation.
True!

wiegraf: God is not testable, it cannot be verified or tested in a lab no matter what you do, therefore you have to accept it exists on faith.
Why do you think you can test God...God doesn't have to become some lab rat for you to poke a few pins into before you believe he exists.

If you claim that the existence of God is questionable, the allow me to say that scientific theory on evolution is also questionable because we're yet to see physical proofs.

wiegraf: And cunning? Do ho ho, no. That would indicate a desire to be dishonest, no cunning here, just facts.
Facts?

To be honest, I couldn't find any.
Re: DOES GOD REALLY EXIST; WHAT DO YOU THINK? by vescucci(m): 10:30am On Sep 26, 2012
Sigh
Re: DOES GOD REALLY EXIST; WHAT DO YOU THINK? by CrazyMan(m): 10:46am On Sep 26, 2012
vescucci: The Op was deliberately touching and makes one go awww cuz it employed the tactic of making the theist the underdog. The Professor was made to look bad at first and then the student went on the offence later and seemed to have vanquished the oppressor. But the op shot himself in the foot because all he did was ignore the Professor's questions and went on a totally unnecessary tangent. We all agree that light and heat have no opposite. The same with life and death. But what about good and evil? Love and hate? So if the article is to be truly honest it would offer answers at the points where the student "couldn't answer. The Professor answered his questions (even he was made to get them wrong) and upon reason they both came to a conclusion. I believe in God but I cannot find any convincing reason why an atheist should believe as I do.
I'm with you bro...especially the bolded part
Re: DOES GOD REALLY EXIST; WHAT DO YOU THINK? by wiegraf: 11:19am On Sep 26, 2012
CrazyMan:
Now you believe that evil exists right? Allow me to prove to you just like the student did to the prof...

Evil as you know, is not a positive thing that is out there in the world, but merely an absence of good.

God therefore cannot be blamed for bringing evil into existence; evil is not a thing and so was not brought into existence.

The idea that the world contains evil (i.e. certain privations of good) can thus be reconciled with the idea that it was created by a God who would not create evil; it is only the good in the world that was created, the bad is merely an absence of good.

Therefore from that theory (the prof and the student), permit me to say that evil does not exist.

And if evil doesn't exist, it means there is good somewhere and the good comes from God; which means God exist.

There we go again...then why did you choose to believe in evolution - and reject the bible?

If a scientist can acknowledge the fact that the earth is billions of years old don't you think its absurd to remain adamant on the evolution theory...I mean why haven't any stones become animals, and why haven't animals evolved into humans?

If the theory is true why isn't there any visible evidence or proof to back it up?

Well...I would go with the brain theory, unless I want to begin a baseless argument.

Humans have brains...the theory has been proven true by medical experts, and some scientist.

We have visible proof the human brain exist...therefore further argument is baseless.

True!

Why do you think you can test God...God doesn't have to become some lab rat for you to poke a few pins into before you believe he exists.

If you claim that the existence of God is questionable, the allow me to say that scientific theory on evolution is also questionable because we're yet to see physical proofs.

Facts?

Do ho ho ho
You'll have to excuse me for now, crazyman, duty calls, but I'll be back...
Though I fear someone else will give you a proper spanking before I return smiley
Re: DOES GOD REALLY EXIST; WHAT DO YOU THINK? by EvilBrain1(m): 12:18pm On Sep 26, 2012
CrazyMan: Mic

He was talking about me dipshit. Devil's points = Evil Brain's points. Reading comprehension fail.
Re: DOES GOD REALLY EXIST; WHAT DO YOU THINK? by UyiIredia(m): 7:56pm On Sep 26, 2012
Evil Brain: Total crock of bull that doesn't make any sense.

First of all, evolution has been directly observed in the field and even induced in the lab.

Nonsense ! And a lie at that. The only thing that has been observed is changes of a limited kind. No one has observed common descent which is the meat of the evolutionary theory.
Re: DOES GOD REALLY EXIST; WHAT DO YOU THINK? by wiegraf: 11:47pm On Sep 26, 2012
Ok crazy, allow me to demonstrate that though you are a harmony loving and rather gentle hippie guy, your ideas are crazy, therefore your handle is apt. DO HO HO HO.... Anyone? Guise? ok, moving on..

CrazyMan:

Your position is confusing to me, you do not think evil is exists? You claim only good exists, without evil? Ok, so you mean good is more or else measured by degrees, so the default state of the universe has no good, god just adds good as he sees fit? Is that it?
First off, just have at the back of your mind that before evil or good (in this context) exist life has to exist. You cannot judge an event to be good or evil if it does not affect life.
Did god create natural laws? Did he create all the energy in the universe, and supply the laws? He allowed for the earthquakes and myriad natural disasters, the sometimes capricious properties of life forms, like predators eating prey alive. Here's the thing, god did create these elements, natural disasters and what not, and these elements undoubtedly inflict evil. It isn't that this universes default state is evil, it didn't create said capricious nature's elements, god did. This universes default state would be.....nothing. Your creator created all the other elements and by extension the evil they inflict.
Is the god you speak of omnipotent? If so, that opens up another can of worms.

CrazyMan:
Even if evil didn't really exist, why do assume good comes from god (yours which I assume is probably sentient)? Must a sentient be behind creation? When it rains and a puddle is formed, no sentience was involved making the puddle. Simple natural laws made the puddle.

CrazyMan:
For one, simple mathematics, logic, proofs and laws. You know that say you start with 4, and keep adding the number 2, each number produced from this premise will be divisible by 2. Alter formula and yet you can still deduce what your results will be like down the line. You know 5*5+10=35, simple logic etc.
We know this,
there are genetic mutations
there is natural selection
Artificial selection shows how radical changes in a species can be achieved if there were a purpose in them. In this case breeders doing the selection, for profit or what not, rather than nature (which is haphazard). They have created oddities like completely hairless cats, the many breeds of dogs which are offshoots of wolves themselves, etc. Put together natural selection and genetic mutations, stew that for millenia, consider geography as well. 1 + 2 = 3, you can see where this is going. Now note, should a single fossil show up where it shouldn't be, that calls the evolution theory into question. This has never happened, every single fossil that has shown up has been found in regions that support evolution. That's testable, that's science.
Logically sound, physically testable (via mutating new species of bacteria in labs as well as fossil records), evolution is science much the same way general relativity is. If you can come up with a better theory, logically at least but better yet with objectively and physically verifiable attributes/properties, predictions, etc I'll gladly accept it.

You can't test diddly squat about most of the bible's claims, its logic is worse than that of many 10 year olds, and many of its claims/predictions are demonstrably wrong. This is not science, at all. You could accept it if you wish of course, your subjective preference, why should anyone care so long as you don't bother them? Objectively though, never bring it up, it can't back up it's claims, at all.

CrazyMan:

I'm not sure what the first question is for, I think you misunderstand what I wrote.
As for the second part, a common error, people seem to assume there's a purpose to evolution, there is none. The sun is shining, does that mean the sun has a purpose? No, it's just what happens when you mix up all those chemicals, energy, forces etc. Humanity is not the purpose of evolution, else god/nature or whoever supposedly had intelligence, a will and purpose sure was inefficient when going about it. It took him 4.6 billion years to create humanity (ignoring the time it took to form the earth). Our scientists breed vastly different versions of micro-cellular life much more quickly, our breeders are undoubtedly much more efficient as well. Not to mention, 99 percent of every species ever to have existed is extinct. If there was a sentient will behind that, it was rather terrible at executing its goals.

CrazyMan:
Above

CrazyMan:

Again, above. Provide me with objective evidence of your god. Note, not subjective or built on flawed or unverifiable assumptions
CrazyMan:
Facts?

Really?

Seriously though, I do think you maybe misunderstand some things when you read them, carefully judge the language perhaps?
Re: DOES GOD REALLY EXIST; WHAT DO YOU THINK? by vescucci(m): 6:47am On Sep 27, 2012
GBAM!!!
Re: DOES GOD REALLY EXIST; WHAT DO YOU THINK? by EvilBrain1(m): 7:07am On Sep 27, 2012
Uyi Iredia:

Nonsense ! And a lie at that. The only thing that has been observed is changes of a limited kind. No one has observed common descent which is the meat of the evolutionary theory.

The meat of the theory is gradual change driven by natural selection. Until you and your fellow evolution deniers can explain by what mechanism the observed changes are limited by nobody is going to take you seriously. You've at least admitted that changes have been observed which is good, but what is the cause of this so-called limitation? You can't just claim that there is an invisible wall stopping living things from evolving into different forms. Especially when the fossil record clearly shows them doing so.
Re: DOES GOD REALLY EXIST; WHAT DO YOU THINK? by Kay17: 4:27pm On Sep 27, 2012
Uyi Iredia accepts micro evolution and its evidence. But I go further in seeing micro evolution as a step, and such multiple steps lead up to "macro evolution"
Re: DOES GOD REALLY EXIST; WHAT DO YOU THINK? by EvilBrain1(m): 6:27pm On Sep 27, 2012
Kay 17: Uyi Iredia accepts micro evolution and its evidence. But I go further in seeing micro evolution as a step, and such multiple steps lead up to "macro evolution"

The only difference between micro-evolution and macro-evolution is the amount of time involved. Nobody is claiming that animals such as dinosaurs suddenly changed into birds overnight. But all the tiny changes accumulating over a very long period of time will eventually result in a creature that looks very different from its ancestors. That's evolution.

People like Uyi Iredia claim that there is an invisible wall that stops creatures from evolving too far away from their "original" forms. But until they can tell us what that wall is made of and how it functions, I'll just take it that they're full of shît.
Re: DOES GOD REALLY EXIST; WHAT DO YOU THINK? by EvilBrain1(m): 7:10pm On Sep 27, 2012
Deleted

(Double post)
Re: DOES GOD REALLY EXIST; WHAT DO YOU THINK? by ghazzal: 11:00am On Sep 28, 2012
Question: Why "evolution", What was the origin of the assumed "ancestor", when there was "nothiness" as claimed, what was the source of the universe? also if i may ask, what did the sun evolve from and what will it evolve to. do you have information of another universe............

isnt it funny how science use simulation, assumptions, ... to give theory of a past and people believe hook,line and sinker but when same science predict the future and the prediction did not come to past(or not as predicted) what should such person believe about the theory of past event/time that cannot be verified....
Re: DOES GOD REALLY EXIST; WHAT DO YOU THINK? by wiegraf: 5:57pm On Sep 28, 2012
ghazzal: Question: Why "evolution", What was the origin of the assumed "ancestor", when there was "nothiness" as claimed, what was the source of the universe? also if i may ask, what did the sun evolve from and what will it evolve to. do you have information of another universe............

isnt it funny how science use simulation, assumptions, ... to give theory of a past and people believe hook,line and sinker but when same science predict the future and the prediction did not come to past(or not as predicted) what should such person believe about the theory of past event/time that cannot be verified....

Did you read the thread before making this post?
The sun evolves?
Are you trolling? That would better, else your ability to comprehend stuff would be...
Re: DOES GOD REALLY EXIST; WHAT DO YOU THINK? by ghazzal: 6:59pm On Sep 28, 2012
grin.hahahaha
wiegraf:

Did you read the thread before making this post?
The sun evolves?
Are you trolling? That would better, else your ability to comprehend stuff would be...
Re: DOES GOD REALLY EXIST; WHAT DO YOU THINK? by Rossikk(m): 11:28pm On Sep 28, 2012
Look, the ancient religions were right. God is unfathomable. We can use intermediaries - deities, spirits, departed ancestors, to navigate the world of celestial power. It is christianity and islam that came with their CLAIMS of who God is, claims of having spoken to God, even claims of God sending his ''only son'' down to them. Just them. Nobody else. WE then swallowed their story, and today find ourselves here wondering ''if there is God''. Nonsense. Of course there is God, but as our African forbears said thousands of years ago, HE IS TOO MIGHTY TO BE UNDERSTOOD. The bible and koran are latter-day blasphemous documents that claim to contain the acts, thoughts and instructions of the Almighty.
Re: DOES GOD REALLY EXIST; WHAT DO YOU THINK? by wiegraf: 1:20am On Sep 29, 2012
Rossikk: Look, the ancient religions were right. God is unfathomable. We can use intermediaries - deities, spirits, departed ancestors, to navigate the world of celestial power. It is christianity and islam that came with their CLAIMS of who God is, claims of having spoken to God, even claims of God sending his ''only son'' down to them. Just them. Nobody else. WE then swallowed their story, and today find ourselves here wondering ''if there is God''. Nonsense. Of course there is God, but as our African forbears said thousands of years ago, HE IS TOO MIGHTY TO BE UNDERSTOOD. The bible and koran are latter-day blasphemous documents that claim to contain the acts, thoughts and instructions of the Almighty.

What's this about?

(1) (Reply)

Reincarnation And The Bible / Fifteen Signs Of False Humility / Integrity: The Way Forward. Part 1

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 138
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.