Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,834 members, 7,810,209 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:59 PM

Financial Maturity Before Marriage (part 2) - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Financial Maturity Before Marriage (part 2) (1112 Views)

Life Before Marriage Vs Life After Marriage (photos) / OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? / 50 Ancient Wisdom For Singles On Marriage. Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Financial Maturity Before Marriage (part 2) by JohnOgunjimi(m): 4:27pm On Oct 03, 2012
In the first part of this series, it has been established that it is of great importance to have a certified financial capability before going into marriage. You should have a a regular source of income that you can use in running your home.

Now, let me ask you a question. If you spend all you earn in taking care of yourself, are you going to take-up another job to take care of your wife when she comes? (Rhetoric).

Hence, the need to save.

Reading through George S. Clason's book sometimes ago, one of the important sentences that struck me most is this: A part of all you earn is yours to keep.

'A PART OF ALL YOU EARN IS YOURS TO KEEP'!

Every man intending to go into marriage must have cultivated the art of saving for him to have a financially stable home. Saving is not something you just imagine. Act!

One of the major factors that hinder men from mastering this art is procrastination. 'I will start next month', he says, and then, 'next month', until the year is over. Do something, now!

'But, how and where do I start?'

Here are a few things you can do.

1. Live within your means.

If you find yourself always borrowing to attend to your personal needs, you can't talk of saving. Cut your expenses. Draw the line between needs and wants. Man's wants, says economists, are insatiable. Draw a budget and don't spend beyond your budget. Remember, you can't always have all you want, so, make provision only for the things you need.

2. Save at least a tenth of all you earn.

When you get your income, send a tenth to your safe. (Not your tithe, which is God's. I will speak more on this in Part 3 of this series.)

If you can't save a dollar out of every ten you earn, you won't be able to save ten when you earn a hundred. Don't wait until you begin to earn millions before you think of saving. George Clason says further in his book, The Richest Man in Babylon, 'Surely it is a law of the Gods that unto him who keepeth and spendeth not a certain part of all his earnings, shall gold come more easily.'

What you save now will help you when no income comes for whatever reason and for 'precautionary motives'.

We can conclude then that the wealth of a man is not measured by how much he earns, but by how much he saves.

So friend, begin to save now.

In the third part, we will look at giving. Giving to your wife, God, the poor, and yourself.

http://www.facebook.com/notes/john-kehinde-ogunjimi/financial-maturity-before-marriage-part-2/3501229647596

John Kehinde Ogunjimi

+2347032688038

NO PART OF THIS ARTICLE MUST BE REPRODUCED IN ANY FORM WITHOUT THE PERMISSION OF THE OWNER (JOHN KEHINDE OGUNJIMI). YOU ARE WARNED!
Re: Financial Maturity Before Marriage (part 2) by 234GT(m): 5:25pm On Oct 06, 2012
Nice write up. Financial independence is really important in marriage, because a person being fed cannot feed someone else. Keep it up poster.

1 Like

Re: Financial Maturity Before Marriage (part 2) by Kobojunkie: 5:33pm On Oct 06, 2012
If you mean financial maturity as in having enough money in the bank to solve all problems, then that is silly talk. As long the two get at least a pay check at the end of each month, they are financially mature.
Re: Financial Maturity Before Marriage (part 2) by 234GT(m): 5:43pm On Oct 06, 2012
Kobojunkie: If you mean financial maturity as in having enough money in the bank to solve all problems, then that is silly talk. As long the two get at least a pay check at the end of each month, they are financially mature.
The poster never said you must be a Bill Gates or a Warren Buffet before you can get married. Everyone knows you must be able to provide the basic things you need, and if you are fortunate to be a young millionaire, goodluck to you.

1 Like

Re: Financial Maturity Before Marriage (part 2) by Kobojunkie: 6:40pm On Oct 06, 2012
234GT: The poster never said you must be a Bill Gates or a Warren Buffet before you can get married. Everyone knows you must be able to provide the basic things you need, and if you are fortunate to be a young millionaire, goodluck to you.

I didn't say the @poster said that either. I simply made my comment making sure that I only agree if he does not mean the man has to have enough money in the bank to even cover second month of marriage. I have seen marriages built on nothing . . . I mean homeless people married and living each day together. Financial maturity is all good and well but the meaning is dependent on the couple.

(1) (Reply)

Don’t Marry Outside RCCG, Don’t Marry A Jobless Man” – Pastor Adeboye Ad / Hey, Your Fly In Open!..why Do We Find It Difficult... / I Must Solve My Problem The African Way

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.