Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,902 members, 7,810,467 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 09:34 AM

Fifa To Change Timing Of Africa Cup Of Nations. - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Fifa To Change Timing Of Africa Cup Of Nations. (816 Views)

FIFA To Ban Nigeria By The End Of Today If... / FIFA To Investigate Footballer With 4 Birthdays / FIFA to Scrap Offside Rule? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fifa To Change Timing Of Africa Cup Of Nations. by sirwebs(m): 9:16pm On Jan 17, 2008
Sepp Blatter has waded into the debate and said thet FIFA will ensure the Africa cup of Nations fits into the European off season.

I believe the Europeans are been mean here because they know that playing in June in Africa is difficult as it is the rainy season here. I do not know what else they want CAF to do. Cancel the tournament?
Re: Fifa To Change Timing Of Africa Cup Of Nations. by DisGuy: 11:07pm On Jan 17, 2008
I don't think they can!
Re: Fifa To Change Timing Of Africa Cup Of Nations. by ritchboy(m): 8:09am On Jan 18, 2008
I think its out of their jurisdiction.
Re: Fifa To Change Timing Of Africa Cup Of Nations. by folem: 2:07pm On Jan 18, 2008
ritchboy:

I think its out of their jurisdiction.

It is certainly within FIFA's jurisdiction to set International Calendar and also refuse permission for Europe based players to play in African Competition's that falls outside the football calendar if it comes to that.

It is inevtable that the change will come.

Moustapha Fahmy all but said so. A 4 year CAN at odd numbered years will likely be the compromise.

Without FIFA protection many African players will refuse to play in CAN if it clashes with Club games and/or they don't earn any salary in the event that the player prefer to play for country.
Re: Fifa To Change Timing Of Africa Cup Of Nations. by dominique(f): 9:28pm On Jan 18, 2008
I'm sure european clubs have something wit this. And if fifa decides to change the date so dat the african players in europe dont miss their matches, that just goes to show how low they rate our nations cup. Besides if the players are that indespensable, why cant they suspend the games while the players are away. I hope caf contests this.

(1) (Reply)

Berti Vogts Must Stay / School Sports Festival / Shame On Mikel Obi!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 7
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.