Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,380 members, 7,822,787 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 04:52 PM

Does Crying Make You Feel Better? - Nairaland / General (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Does Crying Make You Feel Better? (5332 Views)

C9 - Weight Loss, Look Better, Feel Better Cleansing In 9 Days / Why Does It Feel Better Urinating Outside Than Toilet / Things Sleep Can Make You Do (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does Crying Make You Feel Better? by Tolaaaaannni(f): 5:43pm On Oct 06, 2012
I cry seldomly, but i notice that in those few instances when I do cry I feel so much better. So the answer to your question is yes. at least for me.
Re: Does Crying Make You Feel Better? by ndukwejoe(m): 5:51pm On Oct 06, 2012
When i cry i feel better
Re: Does Crying Make You Feel Better? by greatgod2012(f): 5:53pm On Oct 06, 2012
when im grieved or cheated, i dont like to fight or exchange abuses with pple, so, i luck myself indoor, and cry myself out, during d crying,i normally get what next step to take, so it makes me feel better, it actually works, i prefer to cry and get inspiratn to d solutn to talking too much.
Re: Does Crying Make You Feel Better? by Mary4life1(f): 6:00pm On Oct 06, 2012
One bad thing about me is that i cry a lot,like a lot.if someone should insult me,i cry and most times i get sick.anyways,it makes me feel better though not all the times
Re: Does Crying Make You Feel Better? by slimyem: 6:02pm On Oct 06, 2012
I cry my cries alone and it makes me feel better!!
Re: Does Crying Make You Feel Better? by freecocoa(f): 6:03pm On Oct 06, 2012
As someone who cries a lot, I find out I feel better once I've let it out.
Re: Does Crying Make You Feel Better? by Nobody: 6:09pm On Oct 06, 2012
freecocoa: As someone who cries a lot, I find out I feel better once I've let it out.

ehya.. sowie oo cry .. cry baby
Re: Does Crying Make You Feel Better? by Nobody: 6:10pm On Oct 06, 2012
slimyem: I cry my cries alone and it makes me feel better!!

ehya.. sowie oo cry .. cry baby
Re: Does Crying Make You Feel Better? by xpensive05: 6:15pm On Oct 06, 2012
Cryin does make me feel better, because I noticed there are situations I just feel like crying and whn I do I get relived of my problems.......
Re: Does Crying Make You Feel Better? by Nobody: 6:33pm On Oct 06, 2012
acidosis™:

I hear You, DOC!!!!!! lol..
you pieces am wella

cheesy
Re: Does Crying Make You Feel Better? by crazygod(m): 6:37pm On Oct 06, 2012
I made a gurl cry last nite! I guess I also made her feel gud. wink wink
Re: Does Crying Make You Feel Better? by kemiola89(f): 7:25pm On Oct 06, 2012
I cry out my pain, and it does make me feel better. Ps.. In as much as i wont be crying for the same reason again.
Re: Does Crying Make You Feel Better? by maclatunji: 7:25pm On Oct 06, 2012
oluses: Am new in dis forum, I actually registered cos of dis topic, I just feel like sharing my experience bout it. Am a man of 35yrs of age, I can say dat right frm my teenage av not seen anything dat will drop tears frm my eyes up until July dis year. U kno I do pray dat wateva dat will cause me to cry shouldn't happen cos even if I see ten dead bodies on d floor for wateva reason I will not cry, but in July my uncle got sick and was admitted in a general hospital, u kno I didn't kno I love him dat much after a series of test we were told he's having kidney issue in d process I felt so bad dat I had to go inside d car to cry, den called my friend to cry very well so as to get relieved. And afterwards I was ok. But thank God he isn't as bad as I tot, he was discharged few days after.

I feel honoured that you find my thread interesting enough to make you register. You're right, sometimes we don't know how much we love some people/items until we lose or are about to lose them.
Re: Does Crying Make You Feel Better? by kemiola89(f): 7:25pm On Oct 06, 2012
I cry out my pain, and it does make me feel better. Ps.. In as much as i wont be crying for the same reason again.
Re: Does Crying Make You Feel Better? by bayooz(m): 7:31pm On Oct 06, 2012
My submission is that crying is partly therapeutic, especially when you need to. Read this:
When emotions overtake you, crying can be a healthy emotional release. But not all environments are conducive to alleviating sadness or expressing relief.

1 Comment »
The notion that big boys or big girls don't cry is a persistent idea fed by popular sayings, but psychologists and researchers say that it's just not so. Shedding tears can be a huge and very healthy emotional release, particularly if you are experiencing deep pain, sadness, anger, or stress.

One study analyzed 140 years of popular articles about crying and found that more than 9 in 10 found tears to be a good way to release pent-up feelings. An international sample of men and women from 30 countries found that most reported feeling relief after a good cry. And about 70 percent of therapists say they believe crying is good for their patients.

Crying as Catharsis

The main benefit of crying is catharsis, or a purging or purification of your feelings through emotional release. When you cry, you can let go of the tension and sadness and other emotions that have been causing you pain. In many ways, crying serves as a safety valve that allows you to blow off emotions that have built up too much pressure inside you.

It's been difficult for researchers to figure out how this works. When tears are induced in a laboratory setting — for example, having subjects watch a sad movie — more often than not the participants report that they feel worse rather than better.

Despite this, people consistently report that a good cry makes them feel better. One recent study reviewing more than 3,000 detailed reports of recent crying episodes found that most people reported an improvement in their mood afterward. Another study of 196 Dutch women found that nearly 9 in 10 said they felt better after crying.

Another benefit of crying is that it can bring people closer. An Israeli researcher studying the evolutionary aspects of crying has speculated that shedding tears communicates vulnerability to others, since the tears blur your vision and leaves you defenseless. A person who cares for you while you are in this weakened state can grow closer to you, and the bond between the two of you may grow stronger.

Have a Healthy Cry

Research has found that for crying to improve emotional health, certain conditions need to be met:

You should have a shoulder to cry on. People who receive social support while crying report more cathartic release than people who cry alone. Find a friend or loved one you trust.
You should cry after you've solved the problem. People feel better when they cry about a problem that's already been resolved. If you cry before you've dealt with the situation that's making you feel like crying, you are likely to receive no benefit or actually make yourself feel worse rather than better.
You need to make sure you're crying in an appropriate place. People who experience shame or embarrassment while they cry are less likely to report an improvement of their mood. If you're going to feel bad about crying in a public place or in front of certain people, you need to hold back your tears and go somewhere else.
Crying likely won't help you if you are living with a mood disorder. People who live with clinical depression or anxiety disorders are less likely to feel better after they have a good cry. If you find yourself feeling worse after crying, you should see a doctor or therapist to see if you have a mood disorder.
But if you can't stop the tears from falling, go ahead and let it all out — the odds are you'll feel better afterward.

Source: http://www.everydayhealth.com/emotional-health/is-crying-healthy.aspx

1 Like

Re: Does Crying Make You Feel Better? by bernfame(f): 7:55pm On Oct 06, 2012
I always feel better after a good cry...though sometimes the relief is short-lived, but it still helps.
Re: Does Crying Make You Feel Better? by oyin50(f): 8:07pm On Oct 06, 2012
Absolutely it does. I sometimes cry like a nuisance over stupid things
Re: Does Crying Make You Feel Better? by CrazyMan(m): 8:47pm On Oct 06, 2012
deols: this type is embarrassing to me and I avoid it.

the crying that gives relief to me is d one behind closed doors. am the only one who knows why am crying and after it, I am able to put things into perspectives.
So you're saying you have no one in your life you share your griefs with?

You have no one you lean onto in times of sorrows?

You possibly want to make me believe that you make mistakes and solve them personally with no help from a third party?

You must be a very weird creature...

1 Like

Re: Does Crying Make You Feel Better? by noblegas2(m): 9:07pm On Oct 06, 2012
I don't know how it feels. I cried last about 15years ago so honestly I have no idea what the aftermath of crying is! But its quite alarming the rate of guys on this thread that actually admit to shedding tears. Wow!!!
Re: Does Crying Make You Feel Better? by nyce03(f): 9:07pm On Oct 06, 2012
Whenever am sad or dissapointed I cry d fustration out A̶̲̥̅̊₪d̶̲̥̅̊ it helps, or better still I talk to someone abt it A̶̲̥̅̊₪d̶̲̥̅̊ I feel much better.
Re: Does Crying Make You Feel Better? by DOKON(m): 11:36pm On Oct 06, 2012
I don't biliv in tears as it can b so deceptive.
Re: Does Crying Make You Feel Better? by aiibee(f): 12:32am On Oct 07, 2012
Crying helps!! That's y i cry a lot! only when i'm alone tho cheesy
Re: Does Crying Make You Feel Better? by Nobody: 4:01am On Oct 07, 2012
CrazyMan:
So you're saying you have no one in your life you share your griefs with?

You have no one you lean onto in times of sorrows?

You possibly want to make me believe that you make mistakes and solve them personally with no help from a third party?

You must be a very weird creature...

how are they weird?
there are plenty of people who are in his position
and genuinely don't like to cry in front of people as it is
a sign of weakness and vulnerability (to them anyway).

1 Like

Re: Does Crying Make You Feel Better? by mikymouse1(m): 9:14am On Oct 07, 2012
I don't cry.its only women n kids that cry grin
Re: Does Crying Make You Feel Better? by toseen29: 10:10am On Oct 07, 2012
Really, crying makes me better at tyms. i remember when i lost my mum, on gettin home that day i lockd myself in her room, picked her Bible where she kept her children pix then wept my heart out while recallin our good tyms 2geda. about 2 hrs later i steppd out and i was just fine. those who came to mourn felt i was tryin to b a man by not crying but i knew i did my tin 'Solo'.

1 Like

Re: Does Crying Make You Feel Better? by Nobody: 1:35pm On Oct 07, 2012
miky_mouse: I don't cry.its only women n kids that cry grin

right because you are made out of steel. mschew.
Re: Does Crying Make You Feel Better? by malexito(m): 6:48pm On Oct 07, 2012
Back then in d boarding house, i cried when i was very bitter and did not want hurt any body. It calmed me n made me go to sleep.i felt relaxed n better when i woke up. I feel crying eases stress and anger moreover tears washes ur eyes.
Re: Does Crying Make You Feel Better? by Kikyben2(f): 7:48am On Oct 08, 2012
Crying gives me a sense of relief, when i get pretty much upset most times, i cry behind closed doors and thats the end of it...i feel much better afterwards.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Pictures Of A Big Python Killed In A Flooded House In Delta State- Oleh / Total Guide To Creating, Signing In And Adveertising On Nairaland. / Lolz, See What This Beautiful Girl Did In Public That Got People Talking

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.