Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,449 members, 7,770,098 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 03:14 AM

Gaming Online Using Your Phone As A Hotspot. - Gaming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Gaming / Gaming Online Using Your Phone As A Hotspot. (14275 Views)

Help! Can't Connect My Xbox 360 To My Phone's Hotspot / Get Paid For Using Your Words(scrabble Tourney) / Do You Want Reall Football 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005 And 2004 On You Your Phone (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gaming Online Using Your Phone As A Hotspot. by KazeKage1: 11:29am On Oct 06, 2012
Scoured this forum for a topic like this but couldn't find any so i decided to create one.

[size=14pt]HOW TO ENJOY GAMING ONLINE(PS3/XBOX*) WITH FRIENDS USING YOUR PHONE AS A HOTSPOT. [/size]

1 - I use a Blackberry phone Torch 3 with OS7.1(this is VERY important as other phones do NOT have this feature) installed on it which enables me to turn my phone into a wireless hotspot.
2 - I use an airtel SIM and subscribe for the normal BCM(1500/MONTH) which gives me about 2GB data though some folks tell me theirs is 1GB limit. I honestly don't know why mine is different.

3 - Turn on your PS3 console(you must have configured wifi on your device).
4 - Select [Internet Connection Settings], Select [Yes] when a confirmation screen is displayed stating that you will be disconnected from the Internet. Select [Easy],Select [Wireless].
5 - Select [Scan], The list of access points within the range of the PS3 system will be displayed. Select your Hotspot (usually Mobile Hotspot xxxx). If there is a password for it, you may need to enter it. Since this isn't an infrastructural network, there may be NO need to enter IP/Proxy details.
6 - When you're done, the next screen will display the details of your connection. Save your settings.
7 - You will need to test your connection(i think).

Now i don't know how long or how fast the data will last/drain but trust me, ONLINE GAMING IS A MIND BLOWING EXPERIENCE!!

Oh and before i forget, please be sure you're within 3G coverage area as folks with EDGE speed might not get good connectivity.
Re: Gaming Online Using Your Phone As A Hotspot. by monkeysmoke(m): 6:02pm On Oct 06, 2012
I tried this hotspot yesterday with a bb curve 4 with etisalat bis complete plan and it worked on my ps3.

But it seems its is not using the bis subscription instead it is draining my credit.

Please confirm if it is the same issue with airtel.
Re: Gaming Online Using Your Phone As A Hotspot. by KazeKage1: 7:27pm On Oct 06, 2012
I use it with airtel and i haven't had any problems whatsoever. Can't explain why it's draining your credit instead.
Re: Gaming Online Using Your Phone As A Hotspot. by monkeysmoke(m): 3:12pm On Oct 07, 2012
KazeKage1: I use it with airtel and i haven't had any problems whatsoever. Can't explain why it's draining your credit instead.
Ok i'll try airtel
Re: Gaming Online Using Your Phone As A Hotspot. by KazeKage1: 8:19am On Oct 08, 2012
Alright. Do that and give us a feedback.
Re: Gaming Online Using Your Phone As A Hotspot. by monkeysmoke(m): 4:40pm On Oct 11, 2012
I finally tried it with it airtel weekly blackberry complete plan and its still zapping the credits in the phone instead of using the BIS!!!

Still re try your own and confirm if its not same issue with yours.
Re: Gaming Online Using Your Phone As A Hotspot. by KazeKage1: 10:18am On Oct 13, 2012
monkeysmoke: I finally tried it with it airtel weekly blackberry complete plan and its still zapping the credits in the phone instead of using the BIS!!!

Still re try your own and confirm if its not same issue with yours.
The reason i use an airtel line is because i don't make calls with it, i just use their data services which means i have zero credit for them to take. I was able to play Battlefield 3 online for about 40-50mins(it did lag a bit). Those guys online didnt let a brother breathe long enough.
Re: Gaming Online Using Your Phone As A Hotspot. by Man51ut(m): 2:00am On Oct 18, 2012
thanks for the post OP. Is it only Blackberrys that this method works with, or will any smartphone work?
Re: Gaming Online Using Your Phone As A Hotspot. by KazeKage1: 7:14am On Oct 18, 2012
Man_51ut: thanks for the post OP. Is it only Blackberrys that this method works with, or will any smartphone work?
TBH, i haven't really tried it with anything else apart from the BB.
Re: Gaming Online Using Your Phone As A Hotspot. by Nobody: 4:17pm On Oct 18, 2012
Geezy u bad gan,I dey abule egba...
Re: Gaming Online Using Your Phone As A Hotspot. by Nobody: 4:19pm On Oct 18, 2012
Geezy bring 7k last n get it...I dey abule egba...call me..
Re: Gaming Online Using Your Phone As A Hotspot. by geezyk(m): 6:46am On Oct 19, 2012
But u said 5k now??
Re: Gaming Online Using Your Phone As A Hotspot. by Nobody: 12:38pm On Oct 19, 2012
Cal mi n let's mit 4 u 2 av it
Re: Gaming Online Using Your Phone As A Hotspot. by smoove8448: 1:36am On Oct 22, 2012
Fucking kidding me. Getting a new phone asap. Cn it work wif a bold 4!?. Cuz that's wah I got. PS btw MW3 and battlefield 3 which is better n why. (I love MW)
Re: Gaming Online Using Your Phone As A Hotspot. by KazeKage1: 8:26am On Oct 22, 2012
smoove8448: Fucking kidding me. Getting a new phone asap. Cn it work wif a bold 4!?. Cuz that's wah I got. PS btw MW3 and battlefield 3 which is better n why. (I love MW)
Does Bold 4 support OS 7.1? If yes, then you can.
I've played both though i grew up with CoD series but i'd pick Battlefield 3 over MW3.
Re: Gaming Online Using Your Phone As A Hotspot. by monkeysmoke(m): 11:56am On Oct 22, 2012
Don't get your hopes high guys the wireless hotspot is kind of pointless because it doesn't make use of your blackberry subscription instead you are required to subscribe another data bundle (10mb or 50mb above) to use it or it'll zap your credits.

*It doesn't use bis or subscription!!!
*tested with both airtel and etisalat
Re: Gaming Online Using Your Phone As A Hotspot. by KazeKage1: 12:24pm On Oct 22, 2012
monkeysmoke: Don't get your hopes high guys the wireless hotspot is kind of pointless because it doesn't make use of your blackberry subscription instead you are required to subscribe another data bundle (10mb or 50mb above) to use it or it'll zap your credits.

So what you're saying in essence is that if you try to download stuff with your phone, it zaps your credit instead of using your allocated data Does that even make sense to you?
Your logic is quite flawed and what you typed above is VERY misleading. I even own a SAMSUNG Android phone(heavy data consumer) that shares the SAME connection, so what sort of trash are you talking about?
What of folks who share their Blackberry connection with a Playbook? Does that 'zap' their airtime too?
If it doesn't work for you, try something else instead of trying to put people off. JEEZ!

Again, i refer you to this. Please answer the questions appropriately.
Thanks
Re: Gaming Online Using Your Phone As A Hotspot. by KazeKage1: 12:25pm On Oct 22, 2012
monkeysmoke: Don't get your hopes high guys the wireless hotspot is kind of pointless because it doesn't make use of your blackberry subscription instead you are required to subscribe another data bundle (10mb or 50mb above) to use it or it'll zap your credits.

WRONG.
Re: Gaming Online Using Your Phone As A Hotspot. by smoove8448: 9:22am On Oct 23, 2012
[quote author=KazeKage1]
Ok bt how else can I get connected cuz at home I use ipnx bt it doesn't work in my school. I have a laptop and an mtn modem bt I created a wireless router wif d laptop n my ps3 didn't pick the netwrk.....
Re: Gaming Online Using Your Phone As A Hotspot. by KazeKage1: 8:03pm On Oct 23, 2012
[quote author=smoove8448][/quote]
Do you have Connectify? Try using the software to turn your connection from your laptop into a wireless hotspot.
Re: Gaming Online Using Your Phone As A Hotspot. by monkeysmoke(m): 8:19am On Oct 24, 2012
KazeKage1:
So what you're saying in essence is that if you try to download stuff with your phone, it zaps your credit instead of using your allocated data Does that even make sense to you?
Your logic is quite flawed and what you typed above is VERY misleading. I even own a SAMSUNG Android phone(heavy data consumer) that shares the SAME connection, so what sort of trash are you talking about?
What of folks who share their Blackberry connection with a Playbook? Does that 'zap' their airtime too?
If it doesn't work for you, try something else instead of trying to put people off. JEEZ!
Kazekage1 you are the one misleading people on this forum and you don't even know what you're talking about.
Don't you even read the 1st warning you get when you try using the hot spot?
The warning says (ADITIONAL CHARGES MAY APPLY DEPENDING ON YOUR SERVICE PROVIDER).

I've tested the bb hotspot with both airtel and etisalat on my ps3 and it still keeps zaping the credit instead of the bis plan.

Don't you use your common sense that the network providers in nigeria won't allow Bis with hotspot because people with multiple phones will subscribe only on one phone and use hotspot to connect other ones which will result to shortage in the net providers income.

Any other person who have tested it should please comment.

1 Like

Re: Gaming Online Using Your Phone As A Hotspot. by Nobody: 10:00pm On Oct 28, 2012
Man_51ut: thanks for the post OP. Is it only Blackberrys that this method works with, or will any smartphone work?

Actuali.... when you subscribe for Airtel Bis or Bcm plan, you are given a 1GB data asides your standard blackberry plan, meanin? if you take out the sim card from your blackberry and put it any other phone, dial "*141*712*0#" and you'll see the amount of data plan you have on that sim card which ought to be 1gb... so, if you want to use it on another phone asides blackberry, just put it in a symbian phone with joku hotspot installed or put it in an android phone and probably download wifi tether or better still, put it in a modem and use connectify me to hotspot or use default windows hotspot and I use the last two method because if your phone ain't fast enough, your internet connection is going to be slow.
Re: Gaming Online Using Your Phone As A Hotspot. by KazeKage1: 9:33am On Oct 29, 2012
petrson:

Actuali.... when you subscribe for Airtel Bis or Bcm plan, you are given a 1GB data asides your standard blackberry plan, meanin? if you take out the sim card from your blackberry and put it any other phone, dial "*141*712*0#" and you'll see the amount of data plan you have on that sim card which ought to be 1gb... so, if you want to use it on another phone asides blackberry, just put it in a symbian phone with joku hotspot installed or put it in an android phone and probably download wifi tether or better still, put it in a modem and use connectify me to hotspot or use default windows hotspot and I use the last two method because if your phone ain't fast enough, your internet connection is going to be slow.
GOD WILL BLESS YOU FOR THIS!
monkeysmoke:
Kazekage1 you are the one misleading people on this forum and you don't even know what you're talking about.
Don't you even read the 1st warning you get when you try using the hot spot?
The warning says (ADITIONAL CHARGES MAY APPLY DEPENDING ON YOUR SERVICE PROVIDER).

I've tested the bb hotspot with both airtel and etisalat on my ps3 and it still keeps zaping the credit instead of the bis plan.

Don't you use your common sense that the network providers in nigeria won't allow Bis with hotspot because people with multiple phones will subscribe only on one phone and use hotspot to connect other ones which will result to shortage in the net providers income.

Any other person who have tested it should please comment.
BEFORE YOU INSULT ME, READ THE ABOVE. THANKS
I GUESS YOU MISSED THE PART ABOUT AIRTEL GIVING YOU 1GB AS PART OF YOUR BCM/BIS PLAN,RIGHT?
YOU'RE IN THE SAME BRACKET WITH FOLKS WHO READ BUT HAVE SERIOUS PROBLEMS UNDERSTANDING WHAT THEY JUST READ. SOMEONE HAS STEPPED IN TO SHED MORE LIGHT AND I'M GLAD HE EVEN THREW-IN A FEW EXTRA STUFFS.

YOU OBVIOUSLY SKIPPED THE PART WHERE I CLEARLY STATED THAT I USE THE AIRTEL SIM SOLELY FOR BROWSING BY LOADING THE APPROPRIATE QUIDS (1400/1500) AND SUBSCRIBING..I EVEN WENT AS FAR AS STATING THAT I HAVE AN ANDROID PHONE THAT SHARES/USES/BORROWS/TAPS (INSERT ANYOTHER GRAMMAR HERE) THE SAME, SAME, SAME, SAME, SAME, SAME, JESUS CHRIST...IT CONNECTS TO THE SAME WIFI HOTSPOT I CREATED SO WHAT PART OF MY GRAMMAR DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND? I SPEAK FRENCH AND SPANISH FLUENTLY SO I CAN GLADLY TRANSLATE.
YOU THINK I DON'T SEE THE "ADDITIONAL CHARGES MAY APPLY DEPENDING ON YOUR SERVICE PROVIDER" PROMPT? THAT'S THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN ME AND YOU; I THINK(THOUGHT) OUTSIDE THE BOX AND WAS ABLE TO REAP THE FULL BENEFITS OF CREATING THE HOTSPOT...BUT YOU, YOU STAY WHINING OVER SOMETHING THAT DIDN'T WORK FOR YOU, THINKING BACKWARDS AND MAKING OTHER PEOPLE LOOK BAD. THINK SMART SIR, THINK SMART..#THATISALL.
Re: Gaming Online Using Your Phone As A Hotspot. by KazeKage1: 10:08am On Oct 29, 2012
KazeKage1:
Again, i refer you to this. Please answer the questions appropriately.
Thanks
Re: Gaming Online Using Your Phone As A Hotspot. by LASYEM(m): 12:40pm On Oct 30, 2012
I tried it and it wrks 4 me..i use galaxy tab n share d netwrk wit my ps3 using bb sub..whch giv 1gig..its wrk..n am using it nw??
Re: Gaming Online Using Your Phone As A Hotspot. by monkeysmoke(m): 2:05am On Oct 31, 2012
KazeKage1:
GOD WILL BLESS YOU FOR THIS!

BEFORE YOU INSULT ME, READ THE ABOVE. THANKS
I GUESS YOU MISSED THE PART ABOUT AIRTEL GIVING YOU 1GB AS PART OF YOUR BCM/BIS PLAN,RIGHT?
YOU'RE IN THE SAME BRACKET WITH FOLKS WHO READ BUT HAVE SERIOUS PROBLEMS UNDERSTANDING WHAT THEY JUST READ. SOMEONE HAS STEPPED IN TO SHED MORE LIGHT AND I'M GLAD HE EVEN THREW-IN A FEW EXTRA STUFFS.

YOU OBVIOUSLY SKIPPED THE PART WHERE I CLEARLY STATED THAT I USE THE AIRTEL SIM SOLELY FOR BROWSING BY LOADING THE APPROPRIATE QUIDS (1400/1500) AND SUBSCRIBING..I EVEN WENT AS FAR AS STATING THAT I HAVE AN ANDROID PHONE THAT SHARES/USES/BORROWS/TAPS (INSERT ANYOTHER GRAMMAR HERE) THE SAME, SAME, SAME, SAME, SAME, SAME, JESUS CHRIST...IT CONNECTS TO THE SAME WIFI HOTSPOT I CREATED SO WHAT PART OF MY GRAMMAR DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND? I SPEAK FRENCH AND SPANISH FLUENTLY SO I CAN GLADLY TRANSLATE.
YOU THINK I DON'T SEE THE "ADDITIONAL CHARGES MAY APPLY DEPENDING ON YOUR SERVICE PROVIDER" PROMPT? THAT'S THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN ME AND YOU; I THINK(THOUGHT) OUTSIDE THE BOX AND WAS ABLE TO REAP THE FULL BENEFITS OF CREATING THE HOTSPOT...BUT YOU, YOU STAY WHINING OVER SOMETHING THAT DIDN'T WORK FOR YOU, THINKING BACKWARDS AND MAKING OTHER PEOPLE LOOK BAD. THINK SMART SIR, THINK SMART..#THATISALL.
U are still very wrong and misleading!
Yes airtel gives extra 1gb separately from the bis subscription but its is only that 1gb that is allowed to be used with the hotspot.

NOW GET THIS IN TO YOUR SKULL (1GB WILL NOT LAST YOU 8 HOURS IN ONLINE GAME) SORRY!!!!

EXCEPT YOU WANNA BE SUBSCRIBING 1500 EVERYTIME YOU WANNA PLAY ONLINE lOl........

Stop deceiving people into wasting 1500 just to find out later its a wast of time. Becos i tried it and it was a waist.
1GB is just rubbish 4 PSN except you wanna brows facebook.
That's the fact peeps......
Re: Gaming Online Using Your Phone As A Hotspot. by smoove8448: 9:23pm On Oct 31, 2012
please how do i get a full version of connectify cant use my moderm to connect
Re: Gaming Online Using Your Phone As A Hotspot. by KazeKage1: 5:59am On Nov 01, 2012
LASYEM: I tried it and it wrks 4 me..i use galaxy tab n share d netwrk wit my ps3 using bb sub..whch giv 1gig..its wrk..n am using it nw??
Cool.
@monkeysmoke
Are you a cretin? You're truly living up to your forum name grin
You AGAIN skipped the part where i said (see bolded) you waste pipe.
KazeKage1: Scoured this forum for a topic like this but couldn't find any so i decided to create one.

[size=14pt]HOW TO ENJOY GAMING ONLINE(PS3/XBOX*) WITH FRIENDS USING YOUR PHONE AS A HOTSPOT. [/size]

1 - I use a Blackberry phone Torch 3 with OS7.1(this is VERY important as other phones do NOT have this feature) installed on it which enables me to turn my phone into a wireless hotspot.
2 - I use an airtel SIM and subscribe for the normal BCM(1500/MONTH) which gives me about 2GB data though some folks tell me theirs is 1GB limit. I honestly don't know why mine is different.
3 - Turn on your PS3 console(you must have configured wifi on your device).
4 - Select [Internet Connection Settings], Select [Yes] when a confirmation screen is displayed stating that you will be disconnected from the Internet. Select [Easy],Select [Wireless].
5 - Select [Scan], The list of access points within the range of the PS3 system will be displayed. Select your Hotspot (usually Mobile Hotspot xxxx). If there is a password for it, you may need to enter it. Since this isn't an infrastructural network, there may be NO need to enter IP/Proxy details.
6 - When you're done, the next screen will display the details of your connection. Save your settings.
7 - You will need to test your connection(i think).

Now i don't know how long or how fast the data will last/drain but trust me, ONLINE GAMING IS A MIND BLOWING EXPERIENCE!!

Oh and before i forget, please be sure you're within 3G coverage area as folks with EDGE speed might not get good connectivity.
Re: Gaming Online Using Your Phone As A Hotspot. by teamark: 3:28pm On Jan 04, 2013
@kazekage..sorry to say but you're actually wrong and you're just pressing p for nothing. You didn't use a blackberry @monkeysmoke did, so you wouldn't know. You used a samsung smart phone or so and you're talking based on what you have. The mobile hotspot feature on blackberries don't work with BIS, at least not in Nigeria, instead it uses data bundles and in the case where you don't have an active bundle, it uses your airtime. That's why people with BIS subscribed and no bundle are complaining its taking their airtime. So its either bundle or airtime. In the case of airtel, glo and etisalat, they do give data limits with their BIS so at times it just uses that instead and depletes your data but this rarely works so you have to have an active data bundle.

PS: I do use a blackberry as well and I've tested it on both blackberries and android devices.
Re: Gaming Online Using Your Phone As A Hotspot. by KazeKage1: 9:09am On Jan 14, 2013
teamark: @kazekage..sorry to say but you're actually wrong and you're just pressing p for nothing. You didn't use a blackberry @monkeysmoke did, so you wouldn't know. You used a samsung smart phone or so and you're talking based on what you have. The mobile hotspot feature on blackberries don't work with BIS, at least not in Nigeria, instead it uses data bundles and in the case where you don't have an active bundle, it uses your airtime. That's why people with BIS subscribed and no bundle are complaining its taking their airtime. So its either bundle or airtime. In the case of airtel, glo and etisalat, they do give data limits with their BIS so at times it just uses that instead and depletes your data but this rarely works so you have to have an active data bundle.

PS: I do use a blackberry as well and I've tested it on both blackberries and android devices.
Please read my first post as many times as you can and point out where i stated i use an android phone as my hotspot. Thanks

(1) (2) (Reply)

How To Unban Your PS3 And Log Into Psn On A Jailbroken PS3. / Installing PES Patch On Ps3 / A Nairalander's Assessment Of The Overrated Video Games Of The Decade Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.