Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,349 members, 7,957,929 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 03:08 AM

Ikenna, Siena, Gurus In The House Pls Advice On ABS Showing On Dashboard - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Ikenna, Siena, Gurus In The House Pls Advice On ABS Showing On Dashboard (1327 Views)

What Does The ABS Sign On Dash Board Means / My Dashboard Displays "SERVICE ENGINE SOON" / Siena's Project B6 Audi A4 Quattro - First Pictures. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ikenna, Siena, Gurus In The House Pls Advice On ABS Showing On Dashboard by geezonaire: 2:43pm On Oct 07, 2012
Gurus in d house, pls I drive a 2005 toyota avensis but jst notice dis ABS on my dashboard, I remove d battery terminal n returned it to see if it wuld disappear but stil came up....pls wat is d first step I shud take.......pls I nid good advice b4 I take wrong decision...tank u all.

1 Like

Re: Ikenna, Siena, Gurus In The House Pls Advice On ABS Showing On Dashboard by luvinhubby(m): 3:05pm On Oct 07, 2012
Your ABS sensor is bad and if you changed brake pads then you may have replaced it with a pad without sensors.
Re: Ikenna, Siena, Gurus In The House Pls Advice On ABS Showing On Dashboard by Nobody: 3:51pm On Oct 07, 2012
^^^ Pad wear indicator warning lamp is different, and separate from ABS / TCS warning, so....

@ geezonaire: Was any work done on your car, just before the warning came up? The warning indicates a fault in your ABS system, and a fault will actually switch the ABS off. So you've got conventional brakes working, without the added benefit of ABS. An ABS fault be triggered by any of the following:

* A faulty ABS Hall Effect sensor on one or more road wheels.
* A broken ABS Hall Effect sensor wire or connector.
* Incorrect ABS Hall Effect sensor air gap (distance between sensor tip and reluctor ring too big or small).
* A broken ABS reluctor ring on one or more road wheels.
* A faulty ABS Control Unit.
* A sticking piston in one or more cylinders in the ABS Hydraulic Modulator.
* Running multiple-size road wheels.
* Other electrical fault.

I would say a scan would be your first port of call. Don't let your mechanic talk you into replacing parts at random.
Re: Ikenna, Siena, Gurus In The House Pls Advice On ABS Showing On Dashboard by geezonaire: 4:19pm On Oct 07, 2012
No major repair has been done to d car, I only change from ordinary wheel to alloy and that was lik 2months ago, nutin came up since then.....jst suddenly started seein d stuff lik 2 days ago....tanx 4 coming to my aid
Re: Ikenna, Siena, Gurus In The House Pls Advice On ABS Showing On Dashboard by datola: 7:04pm On Oct 07, 2012
Most of the ABS issues are as a result of unprofessional attitudes of our mechanics. It's possible they've tampered with the ABS cable while changing the wheal. Have it scanned and resolve the problem asap as it can cause more problems. I once experienced this. I spent so much at Automaize for fix because the "road side mechanics" cut off the cable for them to have space to work. This affected the whole ABS system and the 4 speed sensors. Speedometer stopped working and gear was not selecting properly again. That's why I'm always loathsome to ask those guys to change common break pads on my car.

A quick one: Check the the ABS cable and ensure the sensor is properly fixed.

All the best.
Re: Ikenna, Siena, Gurus In The House Pls Advice On ABS Showing On Dashboard by pek(m): 9:59pm On Oct 07, 2012
First and foremost, scan the car. Every othe thing follows after this.
Re: Ikenna, Siena, Gurus In The House Pls Advice On ABS Showing On Dashboard by Nobody: 5:15am On Oct 08, 2012
The regular OBDII scanner will not be able to scan ABS/SRS system.

Just an FYI.
Re: Ikenna, Siena, Gurus In The House Pls Advice On ABS Showing On Dashboard by Nobody: 8:48am On Oct 08, 2012
Somorin#1:
The regular OBDII scanner will not be able to scan ABS/SRS system.

Just an FYI.

That's true. A regular OBD-II scanner will only read engine modules, there's no option to switch modules.

An all-in-one OBD-II scanner will read Engine (ECU), ABS, TCS, Airbag, Transmission (TCU), Climate Control, Body (BCM) IMMO etc. Though the cost will be outside the scope of most but the keen DIY enthusiast, or pro.

Well worth the investment though IMO.
Re: Ikenna, Siena, Gurus In The House Pls Advice On ABS Showing On Dashboard by geezonaire: 9:43am On Oct 08, 2012
So pls wat do I do now?....av all d legs checked or wat?
Re: Ikenna, Siena, Gurus In The House Pls Advice On ABS Showing On Dashboard by Nobody: 11:28am On Oct 08, 2012
geezonaire: So pls wat do I do now?....av all d legs checked or wat?

Have you had your ABS system scanned?
Re: Ikenna, Siena, Gurus In The House Pls Advice On ABS Showing On Dashboard by geezonaire: 1:37pm On Oct 08, 2012
@ siena, I wil do dat sir, pls do u av a place u culd hook me up wit, wher I can av it scan, as I am jst knew in lagos, is it possible @ ladipo mkt?.....tnk U so much sir for ur response
Re: Ikenna, Siena, Gurus In The House Pls Advice On ABS Showing On Dashboard by cretin: 10:59am On Oct 09, 2012
are you techinacally savvy?..then u cud jump port 4 and port 13 on ur obd 2 connector...turn the ignition to on...dont start the car...the abs/brake light will flash a series of flashes...like a morse code...eg 3 flashes, pause..then 5 flashes..that means 35...n it implys the fault is the front left wheel.

note: be careful and jump only the port i mentioned.....u can use a paper clip or a short piece of cable

1 Like

Re: Ikenna, Siena, Gurus In The House Pls Advice On ABS Showing On Dashboard by Tobiizzy(m): 10:38pm On Oct 10, 2012
There is a guy in Abule Oja yaba that scans for 5k his nunber is 08098801301 or you can bring it to automedics inside ltv ikeja fee is 10k

(1) (Reply)

Synthetic Versus Conventional Engine Oil / Why The FRSC Speed Limiters Will Not Work. / My Timing Belt Just snapped On Motion

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.