Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,244 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:56 AM

Pele And Maradonna! - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Pele And Maradonna! (2730 Views)

Poll: Pele Versus Maradona: Choose one!

Pele: 25% (1 vote)
Maradona: 75% (3 votes)
This poll has ended

Who Then Is The Greatest Among These: Pele, Maradonna, Messi And Ronaldo? / Maradonna Attempts To Fight German Fans After Match (pictures Inside) / Pele Or Maradonna (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pele And Maradonna! by Fimmy(m): 7:29pm On Apr 15, 2006
Pele or Brazil and Maradonna of Argentina. na who be Papa?
Re: Pele And Maradonna! by Badman888(m): 8:08pm On Apr 15, 2006
I would take Maradona, Pele's time there was no offside rule and all those stuff
Re: Pele And Maradonna! by Priscila(f): 4:53pm On Apr 16, 2006
Just because I read that there was a Pele who scored over 1200 goals in 1300 matches.Dont know if he the Ghananian or Brazil but
I definetely go for him as the World Legend football.The name Pele

Thats what I can say for now unless I also read a more shocking bulletin on Maradona tho I hear he was a very bright star!
Re: Pele And Maradonna! by babwilms(m): 5:15pm On Apr 16, 2006
Pele anytime anyday.
Re: Pele And Maradonna! by Akolawole(m): 6:02pm On Apr 16, 2006
Pele

At least he never used drug.
Re: Pele And Maradonna! by nightrider: 12:20pm On Apr 17, 2006
exactly,

besides pele is already known as the greatest footballer that evr lived.

the brazillians argue that pele won 3 world cups, the argentines say maradona won one all by himself.

but i believe pele was greater by far
Re: Pele And Maradonna! by Fimmy(m): 11:37pm On Apr 17, 2006
Pele is the legend scored in all the matches he played
won three world cups
who can bet that?
Re: Pele And Maradonna! by Jackal(m): 10:21am On Apr 18, 2006
Maradona is a god of football.
No one has been able to pull the kind of dominance he had at thee 86 world cup.
He single-handedly dragged his team to win the most prestigious cup in football.

Football wasn't modern in the days of Pele.
Defence those days was not as complex as what we have these days.
Wld Pele be scoring easily against the Nestas,Maldinis,Terrys and Heinzes?
I bet, Pele's career wld have ended with a nasty injury.
If y'all don't agree to this, Ask Marco Van Basten.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Pele And Maradonna! by nightrider: 11:28am On Apr 18, 2006
there r other great strikers who have finished their careers. Van basten was just unlucky. Pele is the greatest. watch his game play. i watched a match where he took the ball from the touch line and passed it through 4 defenders legs to score. Even brazilians know there is no one else in their history like him
Re: Pele And Maradonna! by Akolawole(m): 11:29am On Apr 18, 2006
Jackal:

Maradona is a god of football.
No one has been able to pull the kind of dominance he had at thee 86 world cup.
He single-handedly dragged his team to win the most prestigious cup in football.

Really!

With great help of Hand of God and Marijuana/Igbo/cocaine.

Jackal:

Football wasn't modern in the days of Pele.

And football wasn't modern 20 years ago.
Re: Pele And Maradonna! by lordimpaq(m): 11:40am On Apr 18, 2006
they are both good,

but i choose pele,

maradona's a cheat, and a drug addict (past tense)
Re: Pele And Maradonna! by Jackal(m): 11:50am On Apr 18, 2006
@Akola,
U make me laugh cheesy
I don't think Igbo/Cocaine is a sport stimulant. I think these drugs will even work against any athlete especially footballers.
Maradona takes Igbo/Cocaine for social reasons and it has no direct relationship with his abundance of skills.

What makes u think Pele wasn't taking anything  drugs in the 70's?
There were no dope tests then but i understand 'caine and heroine has been around for years now.
Maradona is god and the way he lifted Argentina in 86 and most especially Napoli(an under-dog team) in the late 80's was phenomenal.
Unlike good players of these days hunting for glory.

In the days of Pele, Football wasn't football.
The defence wasn't as organised as what we have today.
Things r getting tighter for strikers. Why do u think FIFA was concerned about the decline in the number of goals being scored in recent tournaments.
Why was the new offside rule initiated? Why did a win become 3 points instead of the normal 2 points it was in the past?
It is because the Defence Mechanism is now very complex for any striker to just waltz through like Pele and compatriots did in the past.
A certain Justin Fontane was scoring 13 goals in a single world cup(1958).
Isn't that ridiculous?

I sincerely believe Maradona is Better than Pele no matter how u want to look at it.
Diego is a genius.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Pele And Maradonna! by Akolawole(m): 11:59am On Apr 18, 2006
Jackal:

@Akola,
U make me laugh cheesy
I don't think Igbo/Cocaine is a sport stimulant. I think these drugs will even work against any athlete especially footballers.
Maradona takes Igbo/Cocaine for social reasons and it has no direct relationship with his abundance of skills.

He takes it for social reason: That must be a new fact from Maradona's manager
Re: Pele And Maradonna! by nightrider: 12:43pm On Apr 18, 2006
jackal all the soccer greats from platini, to van basten to beckenbauer to fifa, and the whole wide world agree that pele was the greatest ever. Maradona was great, but everybody agrees pele was greater. you think fifa and soccer players like platini haven't taken into account tighter defences. But still pele is unbeatable.

maradona didnt just use cocaine, he also used stimulants
Re: Pele And Maradonna! by twinstaiye(m): 3:46pm On Apr 18, 2006
Pele is the best, and it will take another 100 years before we see another like him. Maradona is a disgrace to soccer, it was after him a new set of footballer springs up using drugs to enhance their performance. Pele is still the good ambassador of the game, maradona wasnt, or who wants to associate with a drug addict?
Re: Pele And Maradonna! by mochafella(m): 7:05pm On Apr 18, 2006
Jackal:

@Akola,
erm Jacakal you are wrong,
Armando was sent home from USA '94 for ephedrine use. A banned stimulant, used for increasing stamina and endurance.

Badman888:

I would take Maradona, Pele's time there was no offside rule and all those stuff
erm Badman you need to get your facts straight. The offside rule was introduced in 1863. Pele is definitely less than 100 years old. tongue

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A733600

As for the question, I refuse to compare, two different positions, two different eras. Diego's was arguably more defensive, but Pele has a scary goal-scoring record and three world cups
Re: Pele And Maradonna! by tng(f): 9:57am On Mar 09, 2007
I'd go for MARADONA any day. wasnt around when pele played but from video clips i see, he was just a poacher. Just waits at the right place at the right time and slots the ball in.
Re: Pele And Maradonna! by lafile(m): 12:41pm On Mar 09, 2007
In comparing players, what should be the criteria? You cant just judge on how they play because they played in different eras under different rules with the game itself in different stages of development. I personally judge based on the impact they had on their teams.

In 1958 when Brazil won their first world cup, Pele was a 17 year old boy. he was a sight to see. but objectively, he was just a wonder kid. same as messi and fabregas is today.

In 1962, when Pele was more matured and ready to explode, injury spoilt his world cup.

The Brazil team of 1970 is still hailed today as the best ever team to grace any world cup. They won the world cup and Pele contributed. Howeve, everybody agrees that even without Pele, Brazil would still have won the world cup.

Most of the Goals he scored were scored when he played in the US. The statistics are really not a yardstick to judge.

Maradona on his part had an immense impact on the game. Certainly Argentina would not have won the world cup in 1996 without Maradona. Lets also not forget that he single handedly took them to the 1990 final. Napoli was nothing before Maradona, and they have been nothing after him.

So in my estimation Maradona was a better player.
Re: Pele And Maradonna! by kaydee(m): 11:10am On Mar 16, 2007
Also in 2000, while Napoli was retiring the number 10 jersey in his honour, FIFA conducted a fan poll on the Internet, to determine the Player of the Century. Maradona, with 53.6% of the votes, was the clear winner.
Pele was like Ronaldinho in the Brazilian team while Maradona was like Jay-Jay in Bolton. Pele played among equally good stars while Maradona played most of his life with inferior players. Maradona was outstanding. Pele is a better role-Model and the reason he was chosen but FIFA knows there's no footballer like Maradona.
Re: Pele And Maradonna! by Christino(m): 8:13am On Mar 17, 2007
Because of what Diego did to Rufai and consequently, Nigeria in 2004 by using Ephedrine, i will not give him the best player that ever lived. As a cheat he can't be.

It's like saying Carl Lewis and Ben Johnson or even Marion Jones were the fastest athletes ever (we got to know they doped!) Bloody Cheats!

Let's shame cheats, who knows for how long they've been cheating?

Pele Rules, and I hope Romario will achieve his 1,000 goals too, no one plays like a Brazilian (the word none) cheesy

(1) (Reply)

College Basketball Player Suffers The Most Gruesome Injury In Sports TV History / Messi Nwa Chelsea / Epl Week 4 Fixtures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.