Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,344 members, 7,819,213 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:49 PM

Are People Now Afraid Of Bank Jobs? - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Are People Now Afraid Of Bank Jobs? (18810 Views)

Sterling Bank Jobs / Union Bank Jobs!urgent / Bank Jobs Are Available(zenith,first And Acces Bank) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are People Now Afraid Of Bank Jobs? by sneak3(m): 1:13pm On Oct 11, 2012
acidtalk: Like you said, people will find it had to believe. which sincerely i also DOUBT the story.

Nigerians being who they are, are natural risk takers. they don't mind getting employed in a bank by 8am and laid off by 5pm the same day, they will take up that job.

Either your friends are lying or you are.
Moreover, they don't just offer to employ someone if the person didn't apply for such job or am i wrong?

Abi Nigerian banks don dey do "free employment bonanza?"
YOU ARE VERY MUCH ON POINT
Re: Are People Now Afraid Of Bank Jobs? by mantote: 1:15pm On Oct 11, 2012
I am a banker and I will advice any young guy that gets banking job now to take it up.But you must watch out cos there are bankers and there are bank workers.if a bank is offering you job through any of theor outsourcing company,run away cos you will be mortgaging your future.as a contract staff,you have no clear cut career pathway,you cannot move from one bank to another or to a similar industry.Also,never take up marketing job in a bank cos the targets are unrealistic and your branch location can be a limiting factor to the type of customers you can get and your boss will hardly allow you to travel long distances to market people you know personally and this people you know personally will not even want to take their funds afar.I will only advise guys who intend to going abroad to school after two yrs to take up marketing jobs since you may eventually lost your job.so use that two year grace period to save.But on a sincere note,a banking career is good if one gets employed as a core staff in any bank that respects human capital as an asset.This is because you will learn about life fast and get good experience that can prepare you for other sectors.A banking job will also enable you to be able to afford payment for professional exams that will prepare you to work in other sectors outside banking in the nearest future.I will rather drive taxi as a self employed gtaduate than work in the civil service except in research institutes,university settings and other semi_corporate civil service settings like firs,efcc,icpc,federal mortgage bank,etc

2 Likes

Re: Are People Now Afraid Of Bank Jobs? by mrkels(m): 1:19pm On Oct 11, 2012
[size=13pt]This Op may just be right, in a recent Pwc interview, the lady with me was from one of the banks, now this was the highest paying bank in nigeria and the position we were applying for pays far less by 70k I think, and I was mad at her, telling her that if I had her job,I won't be be wasting my time in this company looking for a job, all she said was, ''you would never understand'' I wonder what she meant by that. This morning , my friend that works with zenith was complaining about the recently advertised ''contract job'' organised by peopleplus, he said it was pure slavery , that no one should be allowed to work for that kind of pay.Besides after 2 years the contract would expire and its non- renewable[/size]
Re: Are People Now Afraid Of Bank Jobs? by oyeleyemaureen(m): 1:46pm On Oct 11, 2012
With the current increase rate of unemployment, No nigerian will see a lucrative job like that and reject it
Re: Are People Now Afraid Of Bank Jobs? by Evie007: 1:48pm On Oct 11, 2012
Banking job =obituary sad
Re: Are People Now Afraid Of Bank Jobs? by Soulcaine(m): 1:49pm On Oct 11, 2012
acidtalk: Like you said, people will find it had to believe. which sincerely i also DOUBT the story.

Nigerians being who they are, are natural risk takers. they don't mind getting employed in a bank by 8am and laid off by 5pm the same day, they will take up that job.

Either your friends are lying or you are.
Moreover, they don't just offer to employ someone if the person didn't apply for such job or am i wrong?

Abi Nigerian banks don dey do "free employment bonanza?"

i actually have a frnd who turned down a bank job from zenith. I know what he can do because we were together.
Re: Are People Now Afraid Of Bank Jobs? by Nobody: 1:50pm On Oct 11, 2012
The story could actually be true. I presently work in a bank and also presently looking for another job as i want to quit this banking job even for a lesser paying job that will give me rest of mind and that i will be waking up by 7am and not 4:30am. My head of operations in my department recently resigned to take up a lesser paying job in another company. Health is wealth. What is the essence of making so much money at your health risk and later spending so much money on your health? Did you guys hear of two Access bank staff that died of hyperstension recently? I dont blame those that are turning down bank offers.
Re: Are People Now Afraid Of Bank Jobs? by caesaraba(m): 1:51pm On Oct 11, 2012
oyeleyemaureen: With the current increase rate of unemployment, No nigerian will see a lucrative job like that and reject it

I personally would. If I have to be on the road as early as 4 a.m to beat traffic to get to work and spend another 4 hours to get back, that means I get about 3 hours of sleep daily. Ha! And one day I might just get to work and can't log into my workstation (not even a decent letter of dismissal). Nah. I'd turn down that offer gladly.

1 Like

Re: Are People Now Afraid Of Bank Jobs? by omaojo1: 1:52pm On Oct 11, 2012
Evie007: Banking job =obituary sad

They just sent an Obituary mail of a colleague banker. Most of these deaths are as a result of work related ailments.
Re: Are People Now Afraid Of Bank Jobs? by detreasuredone: 1:56pm On Oct 11, 2012
Please u can contact me for the offer of the Bank job since ur friends are turning it down, I love bank job and I must work there some day
Re: Are People Now Afraid Of Bank Jobs? by tjskii(f): 1:58pm On Oct 11, 2012
Look the op knows wat hez talkin about,I was in d banking industry for 2yrs before I resigned,and wen I left I didn't av any job waiting anywhere,the banking industry is a hellhole especially if ure in d marketing unit,u xperence mental and emotional torture evry single day,ure given humongus targets to meet and if u fail,ure publicly ridiculed and humiliated,u trek about in d hot sun looking for peopl to open account with ur bank(its not evryday u carry d office car out),peopl that on a normal day wudnt av d guts to even greet u are toasting u,politicians and ogas of companies r tellin u dt d only way theyl open an account with ur bank is if u sleep with them,it got so bad that at a point I actually found myself wondering wat it was lik to be dead,at least then I wud av peace of mind. Wen I got to dt stage I knew it was time to leav,I had colleagues then who were willin to leav for as low as a 30k paying job,I even had guys with highbp of 160(28yr oldds o). So rite now I wudnt advice evn my enemy to take up bank work,except its in the back office units,those ones av stress too but its stil better than d marketing unit,wich I'm sure is werr the ops friends got jobs in

6 Likes

Re: Are People Now Afraid Of Bank Jobs? by HAH: 2:05pm On Oct 11, 2012
i worked in a bank for over a decade and left. banking is good starting point for a fresh graduate as it will drill you and you will get the experience as well as good pay above your peers but if you don't move above a certain level at a certain time then leave and take your destiny into your hands and confronts your fears. example if you are 35 and not yet an assistant manager then you are far behind. I personally left bank as a branch manager at 36 but I realized that the future is bleak. and decided to leave to confront my fears and believe me the minimum level I will take now in a bank is an ED if not am not ready to die of hypertention. I want to see my grand children

1 Like

Re: Are People Now Afraid Of Bank Jobs? by preciousoz: 2:09pm On Oct 11, 2012
If You are YOUNG, Energetic, Charismatic and with great vision and dreams that you see achieved within a limited time frame, please don't take a Bank Job (am talking from 5 years experience).

When they Sap the youth outta You, U will find urself in the recycle bin with little or no skill outside the Industry.

If its a Contract offer, Usain Bolt My friend (don't look back).

2 Likes

Re: Are People Now Afraid Of Bank Jobs? by Ewabeads(f): 2:24pm On Oct 11, 2012
Maybe they were posted to the North.. grin

1 Like

Re: Are People Now Afraid Of Bank Jobs? by almaliki: 2:26pm On Oct 11, 2012
I support d op's opinion....Personally, I never liked d banking industry and I never gave it a thot cos it wasn't a choice for my field of career, besides it wasn't gonna add value 2 my professional development as a geoscientist...!
Re: Are People Now Afraid Of Bank Jobs? by almaliki: 2:28pm On Oct 11, 2012
_
Re: Are People Now Afraid Of Bank Jobs? by naz207(m): 2:32pm On Oct 11, 2012
tonyx4x44: I though the topic meant are people now afraid to carry out bank robberies:>
grin grin grin grin
Re: Are People Now Afraid Of Bank Jobs? by Nobody: 2:32pm On Oct 11, 2012
You need to work in a bank for day to know why somebody will turn the job. It is not about putting food on your table it is more than that. Working in a bank is like working in a concentration camp. Your life is at risk, no career development, no time to develop yourself, risking your life for another man's money and so on. I will prefer working in a low paying firm than earning millions as a bank staff.

1 Like

Re: Are People Now Afraid Of Bank Jobs? by georgesylva(m): 2:44pm On Oct 11, 2012
grin grin grin as 4 me shaa i no go want get h.b.p in my late 20's or early 30's. So soon as i finish sku i na dey go banking. Besides nobody dey talk about the job insecurity wey dey banking.
Re: Are People Now Afraid Of Bank Jobs? by dagr8(m): 2:49pm On Oct 11, 2012
mantote: I am a banker and I will advice any young guy that gets banking job now to take it up.But you must watch out cos there are bankers and there are bank workers.if a bank is offering you job through any of theor outsourcing company,run away cos you will be mortgaging your future.as a contract staff,you have no clear cut career pathway,you cannot move from one bank to another or to a similar industry.Also,never take up marketing job in a bank cos the targets are unrealistic and your branch location can be a limiting factor to the type of customers you can get and your boss will hardly allow you to travel long distances to market people you know personally and this people you know personally will not even want to take their funds afar.I will only advise guys who intend to going abroad to school after two yrs to take up marketing jobs since you may eventually lost your job.so use that two year grace period to save.But on a sincere note,a banking career is good if one gets employed as a core staff in any bank that respects human capital as an asset.This is because you will learn about life fast and get good experience that can prepare you for other sectors.A banking job will also enable you to be able to afford payment for professional exams that will prepare you to work in other sectors outside banking in the nearest future.I will rather drive taxi as a self employed graduate than work in the civil service except in research institutes,university settings and other semi_corporate civil service settings like firs,efcc,icpc,federal mortgage bank,etc
Re: Are People Now Afraid Of Bank Jobs? by dapachez: 2:51pm On Oct 11, 2012
ibehenry@rocket:
Speak 4 urself. U & ur friends are just liars. Bank jobs are still highly sought after. With d growing. number of unemployed youths out there. No one will pass d offer twice
says who i know a couple of guys dat left the bank and picked up administrative jobs in university of benin. My buddy just left stanbic for road safety,its all about job security jor
Re: Are People Now Afraid Of Bank Jobs? by mhuyil: 3:48pm On Oct 11, 2012
hmmmmm... Bank Job!

errrmmmmm... I dont wanna bite the finger that feeds me.

Ha! A colleague just shouted after droping a call " I don taya for this work"!!! shocked

Wallahi, na true. Best Bank for that matter o shocked
Re: Are People Now Afraid Of Bank Jobs? by aieromon(m): 4:03pm On Oct 11, 2012
The marketing aspect sucks and is dangerous to your health. Nowadays,they prefer to outsource their jobs with no options of renewal for the contract staff.
Rubbish.
Re: Are People Now Afraid Of Bank Jobs? by patani(m): 4:37pm On Oct 11, 2012
Majority of people here will leave thier Job for a 4.5Million per annum Job in any Bank in Nigeria. I work in a bank and I enjoy the job.....Everyday appear to me as opportunity to learn new things and meet people

1 Like

Re: Are People Now Afraid Of Bank Jobs? by jstringz(m): 5:30pm On Oct 11, 2012
patani: Majority of people here will leave thier Job for a 4.5Million per annum Job in any Bank in Nigeria. I work in a bank and I enjoy the job.....Everyday appear to me as opportunity to learn new things and meet people

If it is a marketing job or target-oriented work I won't leave my let's say 2mill per annum job.
Infact the chances of me accepting the job offer is very slim. Not everyone is money conscious like u.
Am sure u haven't bin reading people's comment here. A lot of people have turned down mouth watering offers from the bank already; me inclusive.

So Next time u speak 4 urself and urself alone...
Re: Are People Now Afraid Of Bank Jobs? by Nobody: 6:01pm On Oct 11, 2012
Banking has been good to me.

It provided me with a comfortable life, funding for my MBA and enough to settle the list my girlfriends people brought to me before she became my wife.

Na there the matter end o.

I left after 2 and half years for further studies and realised that there is no real learning in our banks, just routine work. (Ops) and begging (mkt).

But if this is your first job please TAKE IT and build your life from there.

TIP: avoid loans like a plague, let ur mates oppress you, no problem. Just have an exit strategy. Banking is no longer the in thing worldwide.

1 Like

Re: Are People Now Afraid Of Bank Jobs? by daysanconsultin: 7:28pm On Oct 11, 2012
has someone rightly started...there are bankers and they are bank workers....It depends on which you belong....there is nothing wrong in working in a bank if it matches with your careers goals and objective...
Re: Are People Now Afraid Of Bank Jobs? by Lexaccord(m): 7:36pm On Oct 11, 2012
Billyonaire: I dont know abt freshers rejecting jobs, but I do have many bankers who happen to become my friends. Their general opinion is if they have an option with lower pay, say 75% of what they earn in the bank that they will leave bank jobs immediately. It has a lot to do with stress and targets.

This is very true. I work in a bank and I so much crave to leave the industry if I get a job that can pay @ least 60% of my present salary.
Re: Are People Now Afraid Of Bank Jobs? by benzion72(m): 8:06pm On Oct 11, 2012
I spent 10yrs in the Banking hall. I lest last year July. The new generation bank have messed up Bankin for all. They brought cut throat competition that is not sustainable, the brought armed robber salary that is not sustainable. They brought killing deposit drive that is unrealistic. If you meet you target they double it beliving it is too low. If you cannot meet it they start threating your life with sack, They remove rule of ethics and play by jungle rule.
Banking job take all your time including saturday and sunday. Before I left we were capturing customer update done last year on saturday and sunday.
My advise to anybody that want to go into Banking never join the bank as a foot soldier. Your promotion will be meagre. It is better to come in as a senior manager or principal manager. If you join as a trainee they will use and dump you and your salary is meagre. Most bank now use casual staff to do almost all work. It is possible the writer friends are being offer 50k casual job
Re: Are People Now Afraid Of Bank Jobs? by opetiti: 8:54pm On Oct 11, 2012
U guyz donno wot all dis banks want.MARKETING Is Wot dey wil use u for as graduate,except if u r ond grad is wen u can b in operations nd even as a B.sc grad. It either u ar a contract staff.nd u won't want to know d challenges dis marketers face outside lukin for one babaolowo to bring money most especially ladies.I once serve der bt I d[quote author=benzion72]I spent 10yrs in the Banking hall. I lest last year July. The new generation bank have messed up Bankin for all. They brought cut throat competition that is not sustainable, the brought armed robber salary that is not sustainable. They brought killing deposit drive that is unrealistic. If you meet you target they double it beliving it is too low. If you cannot meet it they start threating your life with sack, They remove rule of ethics and play by jungle rule.
Banking job take all your time including saturday and sunday. Before I left we were capturing customer update done last year on saturday and sunday.
My advise to anybody that want to go into Banking never join the bank as a foot soldier. Your promotion will be meagre. It is better to come in as a senior manager or principal manager. If you join as a trainee they will use and dump you and your salary is meagre. Most bank now use casual staff to do almost all work. It is possible the writer friends are being offer 50k casua.
Re: Are People Now Afraid Of Bank Jobs? by mekaboy(m): 8:57pm On Oct 11, 2012
you are right, its very stressful especially as a gate.man.

do.you know the number of cars that come in.and go out a day?

i am sure.the guys friend could be offered gateman job. so its better he stays.where fewer cars come and go with.less salary, than work in the bank with heavy.traffic in the gate.

after all , gateman is also banking job.

both general manage and gateman na (GM).

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Jobs At Maersk Line / Can't Decide Which Of The Two Jobs Is Better / Ushers Needed For Corporate Events In Lagos "et Al" (17.5k Per Day)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.