Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,112 members, 7,814,900 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:42 PM

Mo Yan Wins Nobel Literature Prize - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Mo Yan Wins Nobel Literature Prize (5886 Views)

Wole Soyinka Receiving The Nobel Prize In 1986 (picture) / Adeleke Adeyemi Wins $100K (₦16m) LNG Literature Prize For 'The Missing Clock' / A Child Of Nigeria’ Wins Nobel Prize For Literature (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mo Yan Wins Nobel Literature Prize by na2day(m): 12:08pm On Oct 11, 2012
To all of you fighting here on Nairaland,
Chinese - Mo Yan Just Won The Coveted Nobel prize For Literature

The News is still breaking!

Chinese author Mo Yan has been awarded the 2012 Nobel Prize for literature.

The 57-year-old is the 109th recipient of the prestigious prize, given last year to Swedish poet Tomas Transtroemer.

Presented by the Nobel Foundation, the award - only given to living writers - is worth 10 million kronor (£927,000).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-19907762
Re: Mo Yan Wins Nobel Literature Prize by TYtayo1: 1:47pm On Oct 11, 2012
Wow!
Re: Mo Yan Wins Nobel Literature Prize by TYtayo1: 1:48pm On Oct 11, 2012
Please poster what literary genre is he noted for
Re: Mo Yan Wins Nobel Literature Prize by tonyx4x44(m): 1:50pm On Oct 11, 2012
Why not... 1 billion people understand him language
Re: Mo Yan Wins Nobel Literature Prize by Nobody: 1:50pm On Oct 11, 2012
º°˚k.

[size=2pt] back to work, fuel price neva com down [/size]
Re: Mo Yan Wins Nobel Literature Prize by alaoeri: 1:51pm On Oct 11, 2012
Where is Achebe?
Re: Mo Yan Wins Nobel Literature Prize by Afam4eva(m): 1:51pm On Oct 11, 2012
Good for him...Now what's the point of this thread again? I guess i'll see it in subsequent posts...
Re: Mo Yan Wins Nobel Literature Prize by AK481(m): 1:54pm On Oct 11, 2012
how does this concern nigeria and its habitat(terrestrial and aquatic )?
How did this even make the fp sef? No wonder its having 3 comments after 2hours of posting.

Who is moyan and his relationship wit nigeria(we re only concerned wit nigerians and friends of nigerians)
Re: Mo Yan Wins Nobel Literature Prize by sniperwolf(m): 1:56pm On Oct 11, 2012
alaoeri: Where is Achebe?
He is in my house
Re: Mo Yan Wins Nobel Literature Prize by aryzgreat: 1:56pm On Oct 11, 2012

ur fada no dey like nobel price? make ur tout fada write something, even if na KONKI and BINTU! Anuofia!
Re: Mo Yan Wins Nobel Literature Prize by gbanikiti(m): 1:58pm On Oct 11, 2012
So fuccking what if he won Nobel award? How does it affect the problems in Nigeria? Who cares? undecided
Re: Mo Yan Wins Nobel Literature Prize by Alaafialoro(m): 1:59pm On Oct 11, 2012
afam4eva: Good for him...Now what's the point of this thread again? I guess i'll see it in subsequent posts...
The thread is to inform interested people about the Nobel prize award which has started since monday and to let people know that hardwork has reward. I only doubt its relevance to nigerians for it to have made the frontpage.

3 Likes

Re: Mo Yan Wins Nobel Literature Prize by yuzedo: 2:03pm On Oct 11, 2012
Damn! i thought this was my year shaa.... sad
Re: Mo Yan Wins Nobel Literature Prize by SlyIg(f): 2:04pm On Oct 11, 2012
Next winner will come from Nairaland,bet me!
Re: Mo Yan Wins Nobel Literature Prize by Rocktation(f): 2:09pm On Oct 11, 2012
Infact ehnn, this thread is to get all you natives of the English-speaking Nigeria, wounded! We're all where we are now, forming Don juans, while one chinchonchu is besting the entire world in Anglais. grin
Re: Mo Yan Wins Nobel Literature Prize by omenziate(m): 2:12pm On Oct 11, 2012
Beans price still b like say e cost o.
Re: Mo Yan Wins Nobel Literature Prize by Nobody: 2:20pm On Oct 11, 2012
I think that the Nobel Prize for Literature generates enthusiasm in Nigeria because Nigeria's Wole Soyinka had won it in the past. Nigerians are also hoping that Chinua Achebe, another gifted Nigerian writer, would win it some day. The interest and enthusiasm are not replicated in areas of science, medicine , economics, etc where Nigeria appears to be lagging behind. But I don't think that the Nobel Prize is a front page material; unless another Nigerian is selected winner. .
Re: Mo Yan Wins Nobel Literature Prize by Nobody: 2:22pm On Oct 11, 2012
SlyIg: Next winner will come from Nairaland,bet me!

I vote for you. I like one liners
Re: Mo Yan Wins Nobel Literature Prize by jigawatts(m): 2:28pm On Oct 11, 2012

Chilling with Baba AWO grin grin
Re: Mo Yan Wins Nobel Literature Prize by na2day(m): 2:29pm On Oct 11, 2012
@ TY tayo

This file photo taken on Sept. 6, 2011 shows Chinese writer Mo Yan. Chinese writer Mo Yan has won the 2012 Nobel Prize in Literature, the Swedish Academy announced in Stockholm on Thursday. (Xinhua/Li Yan)

The Nobel Prize in Literature 2012 is awarded to Chinese writer Mo Yan "who with hallucinatory realism merges folk tales, history and the contemporary," said Englund at a press conference.

Mo Yan, a pseudonym for Guan Moye, was born in 1955 and grew up in Gaomi in Shandong province in eastern China. His parents were farmers.

As a 12-year-old during the Cultural Revolution he left school to work, first in agriculture, later in a factory. In 1976 he joined the People's Liberation Army and during this time began to study literature and write. His first short story was published in a literary journal in 1981.

"In his writing, Mo Yan draws on his youthful experiences and on settings in the province of his birth. This is apparent in his novel Hong gaoliang jiazu (1987, in English Red Sorghum 1993)," said the academy in a statement of Mo's biography.

The book consists of five stories that unfold and interweave in Gaomi in several turbulent decades in the 20th century, with depictions of bandit culture, the Japanese occupation and the harsh conditions endured by poor farm workers, according to the biography. Red Sorghum was successfully filmed in 1987, directed by famous Chinese director Zhang Yimou.

Through a mixture of fantasy and reality, historical and social perspectives, Mo Yan has created a world reminiscent in its complexity of those in the writings of William Faulkner and Gabriel Garcia Marquez, at the same time finding a departure point in old Chinese literature and in oral tradition, the academy commented in the biographical statement.

In addition to his novels, Mo Yan has published many short stories and essays on various topics. Despite his social criticism, he is seen in his homeland as one of the foremost contemporary authors, the statement added.

Dozens of his works have been translated into English, French and Japanese and many other languages.

1 Like

Re: Mo Yan Wins Nobel Literature Prize by na2day(m): 2:32pm On Oct 11, 2012
@ all those wondering why this is news angry
Sometimes, i wonder at the size of your hypocrisy, why don't you all ask the Nobel prize committee why this is news?
S.M.H angry angry angry
Re: Mo Yan Wins Nobel Literature Prize by Nobody: 2:34pm On Oct 11, 2012
Rocktation: Infact ehnn, this thread is to get all you natives of the English-speaking Nigeria, wounded! We're all where we are now, forming Don juans, while one chinchonchu is besting the entire world in Anglais. grin

Are you educated at all? What has literature got to do with language? smh
Re: Mo Yan Wins Nobel Literature Prize by Nobody: 2:35pm On Oct 11, 2012
na2day!:
@ all those wondering why this is news angry
Sometimes, i wonder at the size of your hypocrisy, why don't you all ask the Nobel prize committee why this is news?
S.M.H angry angry angry

lol. It's because Chinua Achebe lost out, he was in the running as well.
Re: Mo Yan Wins Nobel Literature Prize by AK481(m): 2:36pm On Oct 11, 2012
omenziate: Beans price still b like say e cost o.
True talk my broda,1 derica Nah 300 kpa ,afraid catch me wen I hear am o
Re: Mo Yan Wins Nobel Literature Prize by datola: 2:40pm On Oct 11, 2012
It's a joke!

Chinua Achebe's supposed to with this year's Nobel prize for literature for his infamous book on the war, while

Chief Awolowo's expected to win Nobel prize for economics for ending Achebe's war with just two policies. That man was a genious! Also,

Awolowo is supposed to win another Nobel prze for peace for ending the carnage, posthumoustly.

Or did Achebe reject the honour again??

1 Like

Re: Mo Yan Wins Nobel Literature Prize by alaoeri: 2:45pm On Oct 11, 2012
aryzgreat:

ur fada no dey like nobel price? make ur tout fada write something, even if na KONKI and BINTU! Anuofia!
Ode
Re: Mo Yan Wins Nobel Literature Prize by lacasa: 2:49pm On Oct 11, 2012
From the infested pits of the 3rd world to the Highest stands of global achievements in the Developed world.

The Chinese are it right now smiley
Re: Mo Yan Wins Nobel Literature Prize by Nobody: 2:53pm On Oct 11, 2012
datola: It's a joke!

Chinua Achebe's supposed to with this year's Nobel prize for literature for his infamous book on the war, while

Chief Awolowo's expected to win Nobel prize for economics for ending Achebe's war with just two policies. That man was a genious! Also,

Awolowo is supposed to win another Nobel prze for peace for ending the carnage, posthumoustly.

Or did Achebe reject the honour again??

Abeg comot for dia! Ashebe na children's lullaby fictional writer, na him type dey win award?
him civil war memoir self na fictional tale, d old man na for quantity nor b quality, abeg.

1 Like

Re: Mo Yan Wins Nobel Literature Prize by maclatunji: 2:56pm On Oct 11, 2012
Good for him. All Nobel Prizes are of interest to me because they give me the opportunity to learn new things that are quite advanced. The whole list should be posted on front page as well by the time the announcements end on Friday I believe.
Re: Mo Yan Wins Nobel Literature Prize by Rocktation(f): 3:08pm On Oct 11, 2012
kindabigg:

Are you educated at all? What has literature got to do with language? smh

Learn to loosen up more often, that was meant for laughs. And don't be silly to say that literature has no relationship with 'language'.
Re: Mo Yan Wins Nobel Literature Prize by Lamasta(m): 3:13pm On Oct 11, 2012
He's resting in a place called "There was a Country"
Re: Mo Yan Wins Nobel Literature Prize by kutchs: 3:21pm On Oct 11, 2012
jigawatts:

Chilling with Baba AWO grin grin
No Achebe is in the US while Awo is chilling with Saddam, Bin Laden, Mobutu, Ghadafi, Idi Amin and guess who Lucifer.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Turnitin Plagiarism Detector/ Quillbot / Will You Meet Me In Paradise? The Story Of David / The Ones Called Dogs (the Full Story)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.