Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,378 members, 7,829,989 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 02:32 PM

Getting Ip Address Of A Wlan - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Getting Ip Address Of A Wlan (1383 Views)

How To Track An Ip Address Of A Facebook User / Wireless WLAN Icon On The System Tray Showing Red X / How To Use Your Symbian Fone As A Wireless Router (wlan) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Getting Ip Address Of A Wlan by earthrealm(m): 12:18am On Jan 22, 2008
i noticed a wlan/wifi spot near my crib, it was unsecured, so i was able to log in, but its saying LOCAL, meaning am unable to browse the internet, n i can see pacxkets received sent decreasing while packets sent is increasing, i feel the owners diapled the auto generate ip address, n instead assigned ip addresses manually,
does anyone know, how i can get a correct ip address 4 myself n input it into my wireless adaptor manually?

thanks as i await ur responses
Re: Getting Ip Address Of A Wlan by Ralvy(m): 8:25pm On Jan 22, 2008
It's possible That DHCP is not enabled . . .
Do a little' hacking buoy! Try default Router Addresses like, 192.168.1.1 for Linksys and othrs. .
It's Possible the Router is unsecured . . .

And one more thing, Local showing there dosnt stop u from browsing!
Re: Getting Ip Address Of A Wlan by paribus(m): 8:42am On Jan 23, 2008
Some guys might tell you that a packet capture on your wifi-nic using ethereal or wireshark on your workstation might reveal the possible address range of the connected wifi ap. I don't know about this but i'll tell you i don't encourage sniffing down OPN (other people's network).
Re: Getting Ip Address Of A Wlan by cretin: 2:38pm On Jan 23, 2008
thanks guys, but i need a lil more info, give me the default ip add
dns add
n default gateway that i cud use,
2ndly seems the setup password was changed, it aint the usual linksys default password, does anyone know the default passwords 4 other wifi routers, like 3com,netgear etc,
Re: Getting Ip Address Of A Wlan by cretin: 2:46pm On Jan 23, 2008
@ralvy, i have trhe same prob as pposter,,
but am not sure of the make of the wifi router,,,any ideas on how to get it
Re: Getting Ip Address Of A Wlan by earthrealm(m): 2:49pm On Jan 23, 2008
guys more info pls,
Re: Getting Ip Address Of A Wlan by uspry1(f): 1:48am On Jan 24, 2008
@all poster who have similar problem

I am puzzled asking you question at below:

(1) What happen to your wlan/wifi router manual handbook or quick reference that will help you step by step and also contains what admin password is once you access on 192.168.1.1 browser that is where it prompts pop-up asking you for admin login system. (all manufacturer like Linksys, 3com, netgear, etc. are the same procedure)?

(2) What happen to your wlan/wifi router CD installation that has built-in wizard set up for you automatically without using 192.168.1.1?
Re: Getting Ip Address Of A Wlan by Maleeq(m): 11:19am On Jan 24, 2008
@uspry1

They are trying to retrieve the IP scheme on a network that is NOT theirs or atleast, not under their control.

@earthrealm
Like Ralvy said, try the default settings for most routers. In networks I manage or setup, I never use the default gateway address because every knows that. So, don't count on it working always.

Before I continue, you have to accept that I DID NOT TELL YOU ANYTHING.
-To get the IP scheme on a network you are connected on, you would need to run your network adapter in promiscuous mode . Naturally, NICs check the data on a network to see if the destination address matches its. Since you don't have an IP, all data packets reaching your card would be dropped. Thus, if you have a packet sniffer like ethereal, you wont see any packet.

In the promiscuous mode, just get some packets (using ethereal or any other sniffer) and inspect the IP on them.

To get your card to work in promiscuous mode, check the manufacturer's specification if the card supports this mode. If it does, then:

- In Linux, start a konsole and enter
ifconfig [b]ethx [/b]promisc

ethX is the number of your adapter,
Ex. if you want to do that on ethernet adapter 0 , then type:
ifconfig eth0 promisc

- In Windows.
I don't know a command to switch to this mode. I have been, and still, on the look out for how to do this manually. But I heard (never tried it) an application, 'WireShark' (formerly called, Ethereal) automatically sets the mode on a supported NIC to promiscuous.

With these done, you could use ethereal or wireshack to take a "peek" at the network data packets and get the IP you seek!

Hope this helps? And remember, no be me tell you o!
Re: Getting Ip Address Of A Wlan by earthrealm(m): 1:03am On Jan 25, 2008
ok thanks will try n download the wireshark then, cvos am on windows,
will hit u up if it works
Re: Getting Ip Address Of A Wlan by Glidia: 7:05pm On Feb 10, 2011
If you wanna find the i p information make use of this siteĀ  http://www.ip-details.com/ , it provides information at free cost , i used this site for finding ip information & got nice solution .

(1) (Reply)

2 Dv6 Hp Laptop 4 Sale (new) / Buying Laptop In Jumia.com Online / Dell Laptop

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.