Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,037 members, 7,818,060 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:28 AM

Postpartum Depression: What You Need To Know - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Postpartum Depression: What You Need To Know (7222 Views)

Help: This Depression Is Killing Me. / I Am Dying Of Depression, Pls Matured Advice Needed / Baldness And Depression (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Postpartum Depression: What You Need To Know by nagoma(m): 7:13pm On Oct 17, 2012
Interesting topic and I am in full agreement that PPD needs more attention at least at ANC visits. Most of the features have been brought out here but perhaps more emphasis is needed on the ever existing potential harm to the neonate. Single parent status is no doubt a factor in PPD , I wonder how much contribution PPD makes to abandonment or destruction of babies by young single mums especially in traditional settings.
Re: Postpartum Depression: What You Need To Know by Nobody: 7:34pm On Oct 17, 2012
nagoma: Interesting topic and I am in full agreement that PPD needs more attention at least at ANC visits. Most of the features have been brought out here but perhaps more emphasis is needed on the ever existing potential harm to the neonate. Single parent status is no doubt a factor in PPD , I wonder how much contribution PPD makes to abandonment or destruction of babies by young single mums especially in traditional settings.
Hmmm, Interesting, many times people ask "how does a woman who carries a baby for 9 months kill or abandon the baby?", possibly this could be a actor, interesting observation.
Re: Postpartum Depression: What You Need To Know by Nobody: 7:35pm On Oct 17, 2012
Elueme: Nice topic I will say and it is deserving of my contribution.
Post partum depression or in other words puerperal depression is one of the subgroups of post partum or puerperal psychosis. Post partum psychosis though very rare but does occur in about 1/1000 deliveries for women who are predisposed or at risk. One of the aetiological factors have been linked to stress of pregnancy and child labour/ child rearing in a patient with reduced threshold for mental disorder. It occurs in different forms ranging from psychotic features of hyperexcitement, hallucinations, grandiose ideas( holding tenaciously to unrealistic believe most of which could be religiously inclined) also known as grandiose delusion, manic state to what we call bipolar affective disorder( the intertwin of both manic( hyperexcitement) and sudden relapse of the woman into a depressive episode) to outright depression.. Puerperal psychosis often start within 2 weeks of delivery while that of a depressive episode takes a longer time for its onset. In the case of a depression, depending on the severity, the woman feels sad, self guilt, extremely suspicious of others, feeling of worthlessness and could even result in suicidal tendency or harm to the baby. As a rule, be it manic,bipolar affective disorder or depression, the babies should be taken from them in the acute phase of these illness.

Without treatment, these psychoses can last many months; but with modern therapy they usually resolve within a few weeks. A small minority follow a relapsing pattern, usually related to the menstrual cycle. Mothers who suffer a puerperal episode are liable to others some of which occur after other children are born, some during pregnancy or after an abortion, and some unrelated to childbearing. Puerperal recurrences occur after at least 20% of subsequent deliveries, or over 50% if depressive episodes are included..
It will not be wise to recommend any therapeutic measures as this maybe counterproductive but it is highly advisable to alert your obstetrician who ll call on a psychiatric doctor if need arises. But one reason why this disorder has been of health concern is the tendency of people to conceal it because of stigma.
I ll state unequivocally that mental diseases ain't what the African society makes it look like.. It same as developing any other medical condition.
Too technical Sir for none medical experts, you are talking to laymen and women, easier language will help

1 Like

Re: Postpartum Depression: What You Need To Know by Elueme: 8:28pm On Oct 17, 2012
debrief08:
Too technical Sir for none medical experts, you are talking to laymen and women, easier language will help
Sorry, I tried to simplify it by putting some explanations in bracket.. You can't totally avoid the medical parlance but if there is any aspect u don't understand kindly draw my attention
Re: Postpartum Depression: What You Need To Know by Nobody: 8:42pm On Oct 17, 2012
Elueme: Sorry, I tried to simplify it by putting some explanations in bracket.. You can't totally avoid the medical parlance but if there is any aspect u don't understand kindly draw my attention
Write as if you are writing to market women. That is the problem we mostly have with Doctors when we try to break down public health issues, when you use technical language you scare the people off make them think their condition is worse than it actually is.
When you speak to fellow colleagues fine but when you speak to the public, simplify it, oyibo Doctors do that quiet easily, na my brothers I no understand pass grin grin grin grin grin ;

1 Like

Re: Postpartum Depression: What You Need To Know by Nobody: 9:06pm On Oct 17, 2012
debrief - thank you for starting this topic - its something that is not talked about amongst Nigerian mothers - and i'm glad most people here have not displayed ignorant views.

i'm glad I got the help i did in time and look back now and thank God I got thru it
Re: Postpartum Depression: What You Need To Know by Elueme: 9:09pm On Oct 17, 2012
debrief08:
Write as if you are writing to market women. That is the problem we mostly have with Doctors when we try to break down public health issues, when you use technical language you scare the people off make them think their condition is worse than it actually is.
When you speak to fellow colleagues fine but when you speak to the public, simplify it, oyibo Doctors do that quiet easily, na my brothers I no understand pass grin grin grin grin grin ;
grin grin grin, ok o madam.. I will try that later if I can go plain on this subject. I am personally interested becos, this problem is confronting some Nigerian mothers and the way society handles it is frightening. I ll do so but not immediately.
Re: Postpartum Depression: What You Need To Know by nagoma(m): 9:24pm On Oct 17, 2012
Elueme: Sorry, I tried to simplify it by putting some explanations in bracket.. You can't totally avoid the medical parlance but if there is any aspect u don't understand kindly draw my attention

Another interesting observation is the way Nigerian professionals always bring in professional jargon in public dissuasion . Doctors and lawyers are most guilty of this. Personally I am more impressed with the professional who can communicate in simple everyday language. The others I tend to believe are only reciting from text and in case of forums such as NL their contributions may actually be just cut and paste.

1 Like

Re: Postpartum Depression: What You Need To Know by shilling(f): 9:29pm On Oct 17, 2012
So glad this is being talked about.
Re: Postpartum Depression: What You Need To Know by hannydarl(f): 9:58pm On Oct 17, 2012
Had it with my kids. Was so stressed out I secretly wished they don't wake up the next day. I remember feeling sad one day after I had my First and told my neighbour, I now understand why some women put their newborns in microwaves. She was shocked and said oh please anytime you feel like doing so, call me to hold him for you until the feeling passes. It was that bad cos hubby and mom had to leave me behind and return to Nigeria. I was left with my MIL who won't let me "drink water and keep cup".I was doing everything alone I mean, everything. With my daughter my mom died a year before and so once more I was all alone with baby cos as usual hubby had to return and leave me behind, I was depressed and sad. Though I loved my daughter, her constant cries made me want to choke her to death. I was so scared I would hurt her. I felt like slaping her to shut her up she woke up every 2 to 3hrs it was streSsful doing it all on my own. It took like 8 months before I got over it. Before then it was horrible. One miniute I love my newborn the next miniute I wished they were dead. I had OCD too washed my hands with domestos if I touched anything. Cleaned door handles in short everything cleanable I cleaned with domestos.
Now when I look at my kids I am overwhelmed with joy. I got no help. It was just strong will and determination that saw mw through.
Re: Postpartum Depression: What You Need To Know by riah: 10:30pm On Oct 17, 2012
wow! this is a very sensitive topic, especially as i suffered from this ailment, i will call it an ailment because it affects one's psycological balance. I sunk into post natal depression, after i had my second child in the uk while i was studying for my masters degree and at the same time, i had a three year old daughter (my first born)with me too.my husband who is a seafarer, doesnt live with us but only comes when he is on leave, so i had a three year old daughter, a new born baby, a masters degree, the house cleaning, school runs, grocery shopping and a thieving landlord to attend to all by myself, it was just overwhelming and i broke down,i felt worthless, i was crying all the time,i hated my life that period, My doctor noticed when i went in for the six weeks doctors visit and sent the health visitor who was a constant help to me,i also had a friend called florence who was a constant support, i eventually got over it all after about 10months. this is a very dangerous phase to be in and pregnant women, especially first time mothers need to be concientized in readiness for it.
Re: Postpartum Depression: What You Need To Know by Nobody: 12:29am On Oct 18, 2012
riah: wow! this is a very sensitive topic, especially as i suffered from this ailment, i will call it an ailment because it affects one's psycological balance. I sunk into post natal depression, after i had my second child in the uk while i was studying for my masters degree and at the same time, i had a three year old daughter (my first born)with me too.my husband who is a seafarer, doesnt live with us but only comes when he is on leave, so i had a three year old daughter, a new born baby, a masters degree, the house cleaning, school runs, grocery shopping and a thieving landlord to attend to all by myself, it was just overwhelming and i broke down,i felt worthless, i was crying all the time,i hated my life that period, My doctor noticed when i went in for the six weeks doctors visit and sent the health visitor who was a constant help to me,i also had a friend called florence who was a constant support, i eventually got over it all after about 10months. this is a very dangerous phase to be in and pregnant women, especially first time mothers need to be concientized in readiness for it.
hannydarl: Had it with my kids. Was so stressed out I secretly wished they don't wake up the next day. I remember feeling sad one day after I had my First and told my neighbour, I now understand why some women put their newborns in microwaves. She was shocked and said oh please anytime you feel like doing so, call me to hold him for you until the feeling passes. It was that bad cos hubby and mom had to leave me behind and return to Nigeria. I was left with my MIL who won't let me "drink water and keep cup".I was doing everything alone I mean, everything. With my daughter my mom died a year before and so once more I was all alone with baby cos as usual hubby had to return and leave me behind, I was depressed and sad. Though I loved my daughter, her constant cries made me want to choke her to death. I was so scared I would hurt her. I felt like slaping her to shut her up she woke up every 2 to 3hrs it was streSsful doing it all on my own. It took like 8 months before I got over it. Before then it was horrible. One miniute I love my newborn the next miniute I wished they were dead. I had OCD too washed my hands with domestos if I touched anything. Cleaned door handles in short everything cleanable I cleaned with domestos.
Now when I look at my kids I am overwhelmed with joy. I got no help. It was just strong will and determination that saw mw through.
wow, Thank God for good husbands i must say, it is at this same period that some men will see all the issues their wives are dealing with and choose to misbehave. Kai, saying she put on weight, lost interest in s3x, bla bla bla, marriage is for the ready and serious pees.
Re: Postpartum Depression: What You Need To Know by Nobody: 6:15am On Oct 18, 2012
"Blessed is the one who perseveres under trial because, having stood the test, that person will receive the crown of life that the Lord has promised to those who love him." James 1:12 (NIV)

Just thought I would pass this on to you ladies - its not by our strength we get thur this but by a higher power
Re: Postpartum Depression: What You Need To Know by birdman(m): 8:12am On Oct 18, 2012
hannydarl: Had it with my kids. Was so stressed out I secretly wished they don't wake up the next day. I remember feeling sad one day after I had my First and told my neighbour, I now understand why some women put their newborns in microwaves. She was shocked and said oh please anytime you feel like doing so, call me to hold him for you until the feeling passes. It was that bad cos hubby and mom had to leave me behind and return to Nigeria. I was left with my MIL who won't let me "drink water and keep cup".I was doing everything alone I mean, everything. With my daughter my mom died a year before and so once more I was all alone with baby cos as usual hubby had to return and leave me behind, I was depressed and sad. Though I loved my daughter, her constant cries made me want to choke her to death. I was so scared I would hurt her. I felt like slaping her to shut her up she woke up every 2 to 3hrs it was streSsful doing it all on my own. It took like 8 months before I got over it. Before then it was horrible. One miniute I love my newborn the next miniute I wished they were dead. I had OCD too washed my hands with domestos if I touched anything. Cleaned door handles in short everything cleanable I cleaned with domestos.

That was scary to read. No wonder its not an often discussed topic. I wonder if anyone has done a study of men's coping mechanism during this period. I'd wager a good number will have to cheat just to relieve the stress.
Re: Postpartum Depression: What You Need To Know by nagoma(m): 9:17am On Oct 18, 2012
Just like men women undergo prolonged period of Illhealth , I am sure some studies will be available on men's coping mechanism. In my limited experience I find men generally responsive to spouse's sickness though varying in the degree on their involvement in actual care. As far as cheating is concerned , men who will cheat will do so even during their honey moon.
Re: Postpartum Depression: What You Need To Know by Elueme: 10:04am On Oct 18, 2012
nagoma:

Another interesting observation is the way Nigerian professionals always bring in professional jargon in public dissuasion . Doctors and lawyers are most guilty of this. Personally I am more impressed with the professional who can communicate in simple everyday language. The others I tend to believe are only reciting from text and in case of forums such as NL their contributions may actually be just cut and paste.
You r wrong sir. Professionals can't do without their language, because it's just so. Psychosis or depression remain so unless you want me to start explaining wat psychosis is in broken English as per saying it is wen "person start to behave abnormal like say him head no de for ground again". You have to show some understanding and not go insultive by that your copy and paste theory.. I promised to go plain but I have not bn able to hav my gadget charged.. My light had a problem and my gen had fault.. I just got abt 3% bat life.. Got 2 go now. Later
Re: Postpartum Depression: What You Need To Know by Nobody: 11:17am On Oct 18, 2012
Hehehee, student Doctors and Student Lawyers, na so we dey know them. They have to just show lol.
Re: Postpartum Depression: What You Need To Know by Elueme: 11:45am On Oct 18, 2012
@ OP, you ll narrow this topic if we consider only puerperal depression( the word puerperal refers to the period btw child birth to 42 days post birth). Puerperal period is a crucial period for both mother and child in terms of observation and monitoring of normal physiological changes. As said earlier, puerperral depression( same as post partum depression) is one of three subgroups of psychological abnormalities following childbirth. Others are manic and bipolar affective disorder.
They are not too common in our society but commoner in the developed world. But our society doesn't welcome it, which is a general concern with the way any psychiatric disorder is viewed.
The incidence is put at 1/1000 deliveries( based on foreign research ) but am not aware of any local research to buttress the prevalence in Nigeria.. This is not fixed as it could be higher in some areas than others depending on comorbidities I.e other conditions that could predispose someone.
This problem is usually noticed from the 2 nd week postpartum through the puerperium though a depressive episode may occur quite late
In MANIA, these women are unnecessarily overexcited, they feel on top of the world, hold on to grandiose ideas( unrealistic belief), they are delusioned, could start hearing voices( auditory hallucination), or see things that you and I don't see( visual hallucination) etc
BIPOLAR AFFECTIVE DISORDER is a mixture of both manic and depressive features occurring consecutively
In DEPRESSION, the woman is sad, alway feeling guilty, extremely suspicious that others are planning evil against her, low self esteem, felling worthless, and depending on the severity, hallucination may present as well as wanting to harm her baby plus attempt at taking her own life.
Any form is dangerous because if not checked it can resort to a more dangerous form of mental disorder.
They are often more common in first pregnancies.. And there is tendency for recurrence in subsequent pregnancies.
awAreness creation Is necessary during antenatal and the general public should be sensitized.. The major fear is that of stigmatization by in laws and the public and why majority conceal this problem.
It responds to conventional medication.. Combination of antipsychotic / depressant ( depending on which diagnosis) and psychotherapy are required.
Don't try to manage this condition, you should inform your obstetrician who in turn knows if a psychotherapist or a psychiatrist should be informed but that depends on the severity.
Re: Postpartum Depression: What You Need To Know by ayindetemi: 12:22pm On Oct 18, 2012
I was affected by PPD whn I had my son,it all started d 2nd day I was discharged frm hospotal whn I noticed my boy ws jaundiced n w were hospitalized again n boy kept under phototherapy.I cried n cried @ every slight thing n coupled wt non paymt of salary.I cud nt control it or bring myslf 2 stop n jst wonda wht d heck is wrong wt me .I ws abl 2 overcome wt d support of my mother n broda(since husbd is nt ard). NB. 1.ante natal shld b more than jst dancin n singin-major info shld b relay 2 pregnant women 2.mother of d wife shld stay rather than MIL(ur mum undastds u beta n ur behavioural pattern)
Re: Postpartum Depression: What You Need To Know by hannydarl(f): 8:46pm On Oct 18, 2012
Elueme: @ OP, you ll narrow this topic if we consider only puerperal depression( the word puerperal refers to the period btw child birth to 42 days post birth). Puerperal period is a crucial period for both mother and child in terms of observation and monitoring of normal physiological changes. As said earlier, puerperral depression( same as post partum depression) is one of three subgroups of psychological
BIPOLAR AFFECTIVE DISORDER is a mixture of both manic and depressive features occurring consecutively
In DEPRESSION, the woman is sad, alway feeling guilty, extremely suspicious that others are planning evil against her, low self esteem, felling worthless, and depending on the severity, hallucination may present as well as wanting to harm her baby plus attempt at taking her own life.
Any form is dangerous because if not checked it can resort to a more dangerous form of mental disorder.
They are often more common in first pregnancies.. And there is tendency for recurrence in subsequent pregnancies.
awAreness creation Is necessary during antenatal and the general public should be sensitized.. The major fear is that of stigmatization by in laws and the public and why majority conceal this problem.
It responds to conventional medication.. Combination of antipsychotic / depressant ( depending on which diagnosis) and psychotherapy are required.
Don't try to manage this condition, you should inform your obstetrician who in turn knows if a psychotherapist or a psychiatrist should be informed but that depends on the severity.

Exactly. Also thought of killing myself too. I just wanted a way out of the percieved misery I thought having a child put me in. I also felt guilty of bringing them into this crazy and bad world inshort I told my husband then that I needed help I wanted to visit a shrink. He was ready to take me but I was too ashamed to tell anyone I wanted my kids dead so, I did not go. How do I open up and say all those evil thoughts I had? People will say, she married a good man, has healthy kids, is not hungry. Instead of her to thank God she is complaining. I underĀ§tand women who go gaga after child birth. They need help before it gets out of hand.
Re: Postpartum Depression: What You Need To Know by hannydarl(f): 11:49pm On Oct 18, 2012
O
Re: Postpartum Depression: What You Need To Know by Christine01(f): 7:05am On Oct 19, 2012
Hmmm.... I've heard about PPD before, but didn't know it's effects were this serious. And the prevalence rate is alarming.

@ Poster and other contributors, Thanks for the enlightenment.

(1) (2) (Reply)

SEX-STARVED MARRIAGE: Share Your Experience And Get Listened To / How Can One Cope Wit A Lazy Wife? / Natural Weight Or Fat Management Therapy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.