Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,205 members, 7,953,758 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 03:57 AM

Our Kids And Modern Cartoons. - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Our Kids And Modern Cartoons. (7392 Views)

Subliminal Messages Hidden In Disney Cartoons That Our Kids Watch / Funny Pictures Of Kids And Their Dads / Is It Wise To Allow Our Kids To Speak Pidgin English? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Our Kids And Modern Cartoons. by BAMMZ(m): 7:39am On Oct 14, 2012
It is really scary how cartoons are these days. I noticed most cartoons have sexual and violent/demonic contents making them totally unsuitable for kids. Only a few are good for kids like doraa.
So parents,do you know the content of cartoon your kid is watching?
Re: Our Kids And Modern Cartoons. by Mynd44: 7:46am On Oct 14, 2012
Cartoons having intimate content? Please give examples.
Cartoons have always been violent (at least a lot of them) consider Tom and Jerry, Bugs and Daffy, and a lot of others

2 Likes

Re: Our Kids And Modern Cartoons. by relaxbeauty: 3:58pm On Oct 14, 2012
Mynd_44: Cartoons having intimate content? Please give examples.
Cartoons have always been violent (at least a lot of them) consider Tom and Jerry, Bugs and Daffy, and a lot of others

I don't think kids notice anything extraordinary in Tom chasing Jerry around and Jerry hitting Tom with various objects. It just depicts how cats and mice don't get along. The violence that one may see in Batman or Superman cartoons just shows the supremacy of good over evil. Children wouldn't take notice of the violence unless they're told that they have to take notice of it. It also depends on whether or not parents actually caution their kids about the use of violence and also the significance of cartoons in the children's lives. Parents are meant to spend time watching cartoons with their children and monitor what exactly they watch. They shouldn't use them as mere childminders, remember cartoons and everything else we watch on tv convey messages and parents play very important roles in bringing out these messages and making their children relate with them.

1 Like

Re: Our Kids And Modern Cartoons. by Mynd44: 5:24pm On Oct 14, 2012
You would think kids don't notice the violence until your kids start chasing themselves around the house and trying to hit themselves cos tom and jerry did it
Re: Our Kids And Modern Cartoons. by BAMMZ(m): 8:31pm On Oct 14, 2012
Maybe kids wont notice some stuff but you will agree that kids learn too fast these days. And where are parents these days to monitor them?
Re: Our Kids And Modern Cartoons. by kellystech(m): 11:33am On Oct 15, 2012
Pokahuntas, beauty and d beast and shreak all have romance in dem
Re: Our Kids And Modern Cartoons. by Nobody: 11:38am On Oct 15, 2012
kellystech: Pokahuntas, beauty and d beast and shreak all have romance in dem
Romance is not intimacy

1 Like

Re: Our Kids And Modern Cartoons. by OkwaIfugo(m): 11:46am On Oct 15, 2012
they no longer like watching cartoons.
Re: Our Kids And Modern Cartoons. by Bishop4bella(m): 11:50am On Oct 15, 2012
Sorry ur kid may take ur gun and begining to run after u d house due to modern cartoon. Is nt funny.
Re: Our Kids And Modern Cartoons. by safarigirl(f): 11:51am On Oct 15, 2012
When we were young, we watched cartoons with catchy songs and cute, funny characters, Jungle Book,Scooby Doo, Flintstones, Tarzan, Courage the cowardly dog, and most recently, Lion King.

Remember that Jungle Book song, Bare necessities? I beieve it went......

singing and clicking fingers*
Look for the...Bare necessities
the simple bare necessities
don't worry about your problems or your strife
I mean the...bare necessities
that's why a bear can rest at ease
don't worry about the vanities of life***

Now they got three year olds watching

Ben 10
Bakugan
Transfomers
.....basically anything with violence, you can't even get em to watch Tom and Jerry, they couldn't care less about the same Barney and Friends and Sesame street that we all grew up with, quite sad, nothing to sing along to, no catchy songs....it's like a barren childhood

***sighs***I miss the good times

3 Likes

Re: Our Kids And Modern Cartoons. by dhanmccoy: 11:52am On Oct 15, 2012
To be frank there are a lot of cartoons with very violent and gory scenes. And kids love them. I remember how I loved watching Samurai X, Samurai Jack and the like. I didn't turn out violent. Not discounting the fact that they do have effects tho, just saying they are a bit overrated.
Dora the Explorer? Bah, you are not serious.

2 Likes

Re: Our Kids And Modern Cartoons. by WillyWest: 11:53am On Oct 15, 2012
What you call cartoons of nowadays are targeted for matured audiences. You see them being aired on cinemas and co for general viewing. If u don't want negative influence on kids make sure u watch it first before they do. In my opinion and depending on the age bracket of the child. "Barney and Friends" and "Sesame's street" are the best educational kidshow out there for kids below 7.
Re: Our Kids And Modern Cartoons. by WillyWest: 11:55am On Oct 15, 2012
^^^ dunno if they still produce "Sesame's Street" tho.
Re: Our Kids And Modern Cartoons. by Daresh(f): 11:56am On Oct 15, 2012
The only TV stations I let my kids watch is Disney Junior and it is limited to a maximum of 2 hours. He can watch Mickey Mouse, Lazytown, The Hive, Jungle Junction. No violence, no romance. After that it time to color, do puzzles and trace by numbers. Try not to let them watch too much tv.

2 Likes

Re: Our Kids And Modern Cartoons. by dridowu: 11:57am On Oct 15, 2012
I neva marry , so i guess ur question is not for me.
Re: Our Kids And Modern Cartoons. by Ejine(m): 11:59am On Oct 15, 2012
My people, this is a shot from the beloved cartoon, The Little Mermaid. When I was younger, I remember I enjoyed this cartoon a lot.

After I saw it just last month, I couldn't believe my eyes!!!

1 Like

Re: Our Kids And Modern Cartoons. by matrixme(m): 12:04pm On Oct 15, 2012
It's really quite concerning to see the state that present-day cartoons have degenerated into. It seems the devil himself already bought a stake in Cartoon Network in particular, to warrant frequent features of demons and nearly demonic character. You need to actually sit down to observe the violent and very occultic nature of most episodes. I don't want to start superstitious, but I believe we're raising a different set of kids these days. The good ones like Word girl that performs heroic actions while teaching English words, among others are unpopular compared the extreme ones
Re: Our Kids And Modern Cartoons. by Ejine(m): 12:08pm On Oct 15, 2012
This is Mighty Mouse, taking cocaine:

Re: Our Kids And Modern Cartoons. by Nobody: 12:09pm On Oct 15, 2012
Its not limited to cartoons alone,there are video games with violence in its content.
Another cartoon that is guilty of this is Mortal Kombat. They have a long time effect on the kids.
Re: Our Kids And Modern Cartoons. by ajufinz(m): 12:16pm On Oct 15, 2012
I'm so impressed with the objectivity by which you guys have treated this thread.
However, let me add by saying that though children may not careful enough to see the subtle messages in most cartoons, the makers of those cartoons didn't put them there for entertainment.
Having watched the making of some cartoons e.g. Lion King...
I discovered that sex, violence and ungodliness is the suble evil they sell to our young minds. It's basically targeted at reaching their sub conscious to control their consciousness, 'the power pictures'.
Re: Our Kids And Modern Cartoons. by gidiMonsta(m): 12:21pm On Oct 15, 2012

South park, Archie, Boondocks, Family guy, Life and times of Tim et. al. These are some of the cartoons I love but will never let my kids watch them. embarassed
Re: Our Kids And Modern Cartoons. by Goldenheart(m): 12:21pm On Oct 15, 2012
i have heard u all, n we will work more on making our cartoons suitable 4 u n our kids..........just make sure ur kids aint watching ghanian movies
Re: Our Kids And Modern Cartoons. by navygrl: 12:22pm On Oct 15, 2012
Many current cartoons are designed for adults not children. Its the parents responsibility to monitor what their child watches. But sex and violence has always been in cartoons my dear
Re: Our Kids And Modern Cartoons. by Goldenheart(m): 12:23pm On Oct 15, 2012
Ejiné: This is Mighty Mouse, taking cocaine:

that is no cocaine..... Its just bubble gum stuck on its palm n face
Re: Our Kids And Modern Cartoons. by chamberlin1(m): 12:24pm On Oct 15, 2012
Parents need to supervise whatever their children do watch, be it a cartoon, nollywood or hollywood movie. These days, creativity in animation has made cartoonist with explicit minds create sexual animation.unlike dose days cartoon were watched once in a while like cow and chicken, I am weasle, pinky and the brain, wacky races, dexters laboratory, tom and jerry, top cat et al with a lesson to learn, modern cartoon has been modified and in my opinion are not educative. They they fill kids with wrong ideas about life and make dem unnecessarily addicted e.g Naruto, ben ten and other seasonal cartoons.some are also explicit. Imagine your kid comes and tell you "Daddy, I bought a cartoon, the name is Kamasutra" what would u do?
Re: Our Kids And Modern Cartoons. by GoldCircle: 12:24pm On Oct 15, 2012

Though "family guy" isn't targeted at kids..try checking it out> i also think "the Simpsons" isn't suitable for kids. But family guy is way out of it my dear.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_Guy
Re: Our Kids And Modern Cartoons. by omenziate(m): 12:25pm On Oct 15, 2012
Kids of nowadays have precocious minds, my little cousins would prefer to watch Bleach, Naruto and Jumong to barney, tom and jerry. They hate Binta and friends wit passion. I don tire for dese boys
Re: Our Kids And Modern Cartoons. by kodylicky(f): 12:29pm On Oct 15, 2012
my uncle's kids are so addicted to cartoon dat the first thing these boys see wen dey wake up is cartoon.
its amazing that they can not sit and watch dora, tom n jerry etc.
i pity their mum. she gets to hear things like " i dont like dat cartoon, i want to watch my own"
the parents aint helping matters cos they wake them up with cartoon, as they re bathing u must make sure d door is open so they can see the tv.
while eating they watch tv.
on their way to skool or church they watch cartoon in the car.
awesome.
Re: Our Kids And Modern Cartoons. by AkinDavid2: 12:30pm On Oct 15, 2012
I think this issue is a problem of the individual families concerned...it is best regulated cos the dedicated TV channels are ready to destroy the kids unknowingly...!
Re: Our Kids And Modern Cartoons. by Souljaboi1: 12:48pm On Oct 15, 2012
Ejiné: My people, this is a shot from the beloved cartoon, The Little Mermaid. When I was younger, I remember I enjoyed this cartoon a lot.

After I saw it just last month, I couldn't believe my eyes!!!

Please can you state what you saw, cause I'm just seeing a shiny castle made of gold...... embarassed

1 Like

Re: Our Kids And Modern Cartoons. by aieromon(m): 1:01pm On Oct 15, 2012
Thought Dora and Barney made kids dumb!

Feel free to censor the cartoon content for your kids,period. Also remember not to buy all those Ben-10 accessories.
Re: Our Kids And Modern Cartoons. by Ejine(m): 1:08pm On Oct 15, 2012
Soulja-boi:

Please can you state what you saw, cause I'm just seeing a shiny castle made of gold...... embarassed

Here, let me help you with that:

Do you see it now? grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Men and their joystick / Shocking Photo: Cousins Die While Having Sex. / My Experience With A 17yr Old Girl And Her Mother. Where Do We Go From Here?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.