Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,942 members, 7,824,961 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 09:58 PM

British Muslims Protest Against Google To Remove Anti-islam Film Video - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / British Muslims Protest Against Google To Remove Anti-islam Film Video (6453 Views)

The Man Behind Anti-Islam Movie Arrested (pics) / Pakistani Minister Offers Bounty On Anti-Islam Filmmaker's Head / Israeli Group Launches Anti-Islam Campaign on U.S Public Buses (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

British Muslims Protest Against Google To Remove Anti-islam Film Video by DMainMan: 12:27pm On Oct 15, 2012
Muslims protest outside Google offices over anti-Islam YouTube clip

Thousands of Muslims have demonstrated outside Google’s London offices over the anti-Islam video that sparked violence in the Middle East, as they claimed that Christians were too willing to allow religion to be mocked in Britain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DvHmwNffOw&feature=player_embedded

Protestors spent four hours outside the internet giant’s headquarters calling for it to take down from YouTube the clip known as Innocence of Muslims, which is said to insult the Prophet Mohammed as a fool and a womaniser.

The Muslim Action Forum said up to 10,000 people, including 800 imams from mosques across Britain, joined the demo, which closed off one side of a busy road through Victoria on Sunday afternoon, but police put the number at about 3,000.

Organisers said they will hold a “million strong” rally in Hyde Park within weeks unless the film they say is offensive is taken off the internet.

One of those behind the protest contrasted their attitude with that of British Christians, who he claimed were too willing to put up with faith being demeaned.

Khalid Mahmood, a 38-year-old insurance broken from Coventry, said: “This is for all people, from all faiths. We live in an age of mockery. It is essentially out of control.

“The Christian faith is eroded. When we have visited churches, the congregations are mostly over 60 and are not interested in standing up to protest.

“It’s always the Muslims, but unfortunately we’re having to come out. For too long the Christian community have had to accept it.

“We can no longer just stand by, shrug our shoulders and be hurt every day. We are doing this on behalf of everyone. It is the final straw. It is unacceptable.”

nacceptable.”

Masoud Alam added: “Our next protest will be at the offices of Google and YouTube across the world. We are looking to ban this film.

“This is not freedom of expression, there is a limit for that. This insult of the Prophet will not be allowed.”

Sunday’s demonstration was the largest so far in Britain against Innocence of Muslims, a 14-minute trailer for an American film that was put online over the summer, sparking violent protests in Egypt, Yemen, India and Tunisia.

Crowd barriers were set up outside the headquarters of Google, which owns the video-sharing service YouTube, and protestors gathered bearing placards to chant slogans and listen to speeches by more than a dozen imams.

The speakers urged Muslims to honour the name of the Prophet and not to back down in the face of Google's continuing refusal to remove the video, and were met with passionate cries of "God is Great" and "Mohammad is the Prophet of God" in Arabic.

One of the speakers, Sheikh Faiz Al-Aqtab Siddiqui, said: "Terrorism is not just people who kill human bodies, but who kill human feelings as well. The makers of this film have terrorised 1.6 billion people.

"Organisations like Google are key players and have to take responsibility for civility. You can't just say it doesn't matter that it's freedom of speech. It's anarchy."

Sheikh Siddiqui, a lawyer from Nuneaton, said he wanted to form a coalition with the Church of England, Catholics, Jewish groups, Trade Unions and even Conservatives to encourage their ranks to join his "campaign for civility".

"We want everyone in society to recognise these people are wrecking our fragile global society. We want the Church, the Synod, Jewish groups and establishment figures involved," he said.

A spokesman for YouTube said: “We work hard to create a community everyone can enjoy and which also enables people to express different opinions.

“This can be a challenge because what's OK in one country can be offensive elsewhere.

“This video--which is widely available on the Web--is clearly within our guidelines and so will stay on YouTube."

The Metropolitan Police said there were no arrests at the protest.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/google/9607991/Muslims-protest-outside-Google-offices-over-anti-Islam-YouTube-clip.html

Re: British Muslims Protest Against Google To Remove Anti-islam Film Video by Nobody: 12:34pm On Oct 15, 2012
Google has wrestled with china and has wrestled with European courts.

I doubt that they can be shaken by some ten thousand people who fail to understand freedom of speech.

1 Like

Re: British Muslims Protest Against Google To Remove Anti-islam Film Video by DMainMan: 12:49pm On Oct 15, 2012
Logicboy03: Google has wrestled with china and has wrestled with European courts.

I doubt that they can be shaken by some ten thousand people who fail to understand freedom of speech.

GUY, u call it freedom of speech when de are abusing the HOLY PROPHET(SAW). But if it were to b d reverse case, de will say it is terrorism. u guys ar HYPOCRITES

4 Likes

Re: British Muslims Protest Against Google To Remove Anti-islam Film Video by aramstoks: 1:00pm On Oct 15, 2012
its been like 2 months now!!Aren''t these people tired of protesting..? This is getting really annoying now!
What do they actually want now? an apology? what difference is that going to make?

3 Likes

Re: British Muslims Protest Against Google To Remove Anti-islam Film Video by Afam4eva(m): 1:03pm On Oct 15, 2012
Muslims are really many in London. To think that crowd are not even up to 10% of Muslims in London.
Re: British Muslims Protest Against Google To Remove Anti-islam Film Video by Nobody: 1:06pm On Oct 15, 2012
DMainMan:

GUY, u call it freedom of speech when de are abusing the HOLY PROPHET(SAW). But if it were to b d reverse case, de will say it is terrorism. u guys ar HYPOCRITES
name any protest against the authorities by christians over any thing said about jesus

1 Like

Re: British Muslims Protest Against Google To Remove Anti-islam Film Video by Nobody: 1:08pm On Oct 15, 2012
aramstoks: its been like 2 months now!!Aren''t these people tired of protesting..? This is getting really annoying now!
What do they actually want now? an apology? what difference is that going to make?
I bow for these muslims o! Na now dem dey protest when the thing don become past tense? Na now their eyes open? Abeg make pesin help me shout ALLAHU AKBAR!
Re: British Muslims Protest Against Google To Remove Anti-islam Film Video by PurestBoy(m): 1:09pm On Oct 15, 2012
Wow...what a peaceful religion!!! Allahu Akbomb

8 Likes

Re: British Muslims Protest Against Google To Remove Anti-islam Film Video by Nobody: 1:11pm On Oct 15, 2012
DMainMan:

It is freedom of speech. If you dont like it, move to Saudi Arabia/Pakistan. Your prophet is protected like a baby there

6 Likes

Re: British Muslims Protest Against Google To Remove Anti-islam Film Video by pappilo(m): 1:12pm On Oct 15, 2012
The funny thing is that these Babylonians say it is freedom of speech to insult prophet Mohammed (I am a christian but respect all religions)but recently sent a young man, Matthew Woods, to prison for 3 months for making jokes about a little girl that was abducted and murdered and sent another man, Barry Thew, whose son died in police custody to 8 months in prison for wearing a t shirt celebrating the murder of 2 police cuntstables in manchester.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-19869710

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-19911943

1 Like

Re: British Muslims Protest Against Google To Remove Anti-islam Film Video by pappy2000: 1:13pm On Oct 15, 2012
Gosh aren't they tired of protesting
Re: British Muslims Protest Against Google To Remove Anti-islam Film Video by Basic(m): 1:14pm On Oct 15, 2012
milehigh06:
name any protest against the authorities by christians over any thing said about jesus
Name an instance in which the "authorities" have said anything against Jesus.
Re: British Muslims Protest Against Google To Remove Anti-islam Film Video by Nobody: 1:15pm On Oct 15, 2012
This is HUGE. If Google bows to this pressure, then it will set a very BAD precedent. I am very interested in seeing how this plays out.
Re: British Muslims Protest Against Google To Remove Anti-islam Film Video by Basic(m): 1:16pm On Oct 15, 2012
PurestBoy: Wow...what a peaceful religion!!! Allahu Akbomb
Brainless humanoid! Must you just spew trash?
Re: British Muslims Protest Against Google To Remove Anti-islam Film Video by Nobody: 1:17pm On Oct 15, 2012
pappilo: The funny thing is that these Babylonians say it is freedom of speech to insult prophet Mohammed (I am a christian but respect all religions)but recently sent a young man, Matthew Woods, to prison for 3 months for making jokes about a little girl that was abducted and murdered and sent another man, Barry Thew, whose son died in police custody to 8 months in prison for wearing a t shirt celebrating the murder of 2 police cuntstables in manchester.

You are a foolish christian.

There remains a distinction between libel/slander and satire.

3 Likes

Re: British Muslims Protest Against Google To Remove Anti-islam Film Video by omenziate(m): 1:18pm On Oct 15, 2012
Dis ones are just disturbing the peace. Disperse dem wit Tear gas jare. Nonentities, shebi una don kill ambassador, wetin remain again?

2 Likes

Re: British Muslims Protest Against Google To Remove Anti-islam Film Video by Basic(m): 1:18pm On Oct 15, 2012
pappilo: The funny thing is that these Babylonians say it is freedom of speech to insult prophet Mohammed (I am a christian but respect all religions)but recently sent a young man, Matthew Woods, to prison for 3 months for making jokes about a little girl that was abducted and murdered and sent another man, Barry Thew, whose son died in police custody to 8 months in prison for wearing a t shirt celebrating the murder of 2 police cuntstables in manchester.

Just the type of Christian that makes sense. You rock!
Re: British Muslims Protest Against Google To Remove Anti-islam Film Video by Basic(m): 1:20pm On Oct 15, 2012
Logicboy03:

A satire is mockery, and mockery is offensive. Say something else...
Re: British Muslims Protest Against Google To Remove Anti-islam Film Video by pappilo(m): 1:22pm On Oct 15, 2012
Logicboy03:

If loving my fellow human makes me a foolish Christian so be it. I can tell you an illiterate because you throw words like slander, libel and satire about without understanding what they mean so i wont argue with you. it is obvious your hatred of muslims clouds your judgement.
Re: British Muslims Protest Against Google To Remove Anti-islam Film Video by Basic(m): 1:23pm On Oct 15, 2012
milehigh06:
I'm also waiting for the response.
Re: British Muslims Protest Against Google To Remove Anti-islam Film Video by Nobody: 1:23pm On Oct 15, 2012
Basic:
A satire is mockery, and mockery is offensive. Say something else...

Anything can be offensive. Offensive does not equal illegal or wrong. No one has the right not to be offended.

1 Like

Re: British Muslims Protest Against Google To Remove Anti-islam Film Video by Basic(m): 1:24pm On Oct 15, 2012
pappilo:

If loving my fellow human makes me a foolish Christian so be it. I can tell you an illiterate because you throw words like slander, libel and satire about without understanding what they mean so i wont argue with you. it is obvious your hatred of muslims clouds your judgement.
Gbam! Once again, you rock!
Re: British Muslims Protest Against Google To Remove Anti-islam Film Video by Nobody: 1:25pm On Oct 15, 2012
pappilo:

Hatred of muslims? Lol....I live with muslims. Sensible ones.

Sensible muslims aint protesting like the fools out there.

You are an apologist.

You called me an illiterate, that is libelous and doesnt show christian love. cheesy

4 Likes

Re: British Muslims Protest Against Google To Remove Anti-islam Film Video by Psylas(m): 1:26pm On Oct 15, 2012
Na war for Mumuslim people o
Re: British Muslims Protest Against Google To Remove Anti-islam Film Video by JideTheBlogger(m): 1:26pm On Oct 15, 2012
I pity Google.

Time will tell...
Re: British Muslims Protest Against Google To Remove Anti-islam Film Video by odedele: 1:27pm On Oct 15, 2012
now dis is a civilized, decent way of protesting.but unfortunately no b 4 9ja
Re: British Muslims Protest Against Google To Remove Anti-islam Film Video by inpeace: 1:28pm On Oct 15, 2012
these rag heads again
Re: British Muslims Protest Against Google To Remove Anti-islam Film Video by akpanbaba: 1:30pm On Oct 15, 2012
Just a wasteful generation of people.
Re: British Muslims Protest Against Google To Remove Anti-islam Film Video by Psylas(m): 1:31pm On Oct 15, 2012

to christians, prophet muhammad was agent of satan! If u knw hw d bible described satan, u will knw wat islam is.
Re: British Muslims Protest Against Google To Remove Anti-islam Film Video by IleIfe2(m): 1:33pm On Oct 15, 2012
DMainMan:

Abuse? these so called people abusing your prophet don't make these insults up, the insults are there in the quran and hadith
Re: British Muslims Protest Against Google To Remove Anti-islam Film Video by pappilo(m): 1:35pm On Oct 15, 2012
Logicboy03:

Anything can be offensive. Offensive does not equal illegal or wrong. No one has the right not to be offended.

This I agree with you 100% but if the UK authorities tell us it is okay for bad things to be said about the prophet why have they jailed people who said bad things about April Jones and the Cunstables in Manchester. The UK authorities protest the imprisonment of Pussyriot in Russia but they they go on an jail their own citizens for doing exactly what Pussyrioy did.

These muslims have a right to protest and they have exercised that right.

I personally see no sense in insulting prophet Mohammed. These people know it will cause deaths and destruction but they go ahead and publish these works just to cause more division and hatred in a world that is already filled with hatred.

4 Likes

Re: British Muslims Protest Against Google To Remove Anti-islam Film Video by godwinogbo: 1:37pm On Oct 15, 2012
tongue they even hv d guts to say "they want d church&other religious groups involved in their protest" ....wen they re always at d forefront of religious intolerance&disunity. SMH

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

"I’ll Get Back To You", German Chancellor Merkel Responds To Chimamanda / 'Epidemic of Ignorance': Tourist Avoid Africa, All Of It - USA Today / I'm African But Find It Difficult To Love Obama

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.