Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,973 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:06 AM

America Experience -few Words Of Advise. - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / America Experience -few Words Of Advise. (733 Views)

A Word Of Advise:never Ever Fly Arik Airlines If You Want To Catch Another Plane / In Need Of Advise Concerning Us Embassy “administrative Process” / Everyone Please Add A Piece Of Advise (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

America Experience -few Words Of Advise. by sandraluck12: 1:47am On Oct 16, 2012
The first thought of any person relocating to America, is what am i expected to bring along that is IMPORTANT, so as to avoid excess luggage and un-wanted/un-useful items. Now, let me share this few tips with you:

First, get your transcript from your universities for those who are graduates and send it to the world education center for evaluation purposes and storage, so that they can send it to anywhere you want in the world in a jiffy without the stress of asking people back home to do it for you or traveling back home. For the hand-skilled, have your basic materials/tools with you.
It is advisable to go back to school after a year or two of settling down so as to help in getting a better job than doing survival jobs all the time. Ensure it has got to the world education center before you leave your country because some hiccups can happen and you have to repeat the process. It happened to someone i know, she did it 3 times! It was due to negligence and mis-spelt address.

Secondly,clothes. Yes, America is the land of fashion and quality stuffs right? NO! Remember, it is the same China that supply them! Some shops sell quality, some semi-quality, some poor quality. I have visited the three type of shops and i can only afford the semi-quality and flee from the poor-quality though it was cheap. The quality-shops are pricy! As a hustling Nigerian, i don't have that kind of money.

Don't go about giving away all your clothes, thinking you will go on a shopping spree here. Ok! if you have the money though.*shrugs* Keep all your best jeans and shirts, suits and NATIVES! See the capitalization? Yes, have many native attires as you can, but QUALITY, see another capitalization? So that it can last the test of time, and not fade after some washings.Likewise your outing and casual shoes/slippers. The only clothes to buy IMMEDIATELY on arrival,is the winter attires if you come during fall/autumn/winter season. The reason for this,takes me to the third advise.

Thirdly,MONEY! See, another capitalization here? We all know the influence of money huh? It can make or mar any relationship. So be very PRUDENT! another emphasis. Don't come as as tourist since you know you have come to STAY! Save your money. Whatever amount you bring along, quickly open a bank account and save 3/4 of that amount and check 1/4 into your debit card for spending. Avoid using your credit cards instantly until you get a job because you will have to take from your savings to pay for it, thus defeating the objective of saving in the first place! Yes, it will help in your credit rating,that you will need when to rent an accommodation, but it is not wise at that moment.

You should stay with a host for few weeks to get your bearing, and depending on your relationship, and how fast you are able to get a job, then get an apartment. Your host can assist you if he/she has a good credit rating or appeal to someone who trust them to help you. That is when you will need your savings to buy the basic things in the apartment and feed.Contribute to the house keeping of your host with common sense, buy groceries that are needed and don't be a glutton, though food is affordable, and plentiful, it does not mean you can go on a eating spree. Immigrants are very concerned about every dime they spend!

A guy shared an apartment with other guys hustling like him. He realized he was the one spending more in the home simply because he just arrived from Nigeria. The other guys always complained of no money for the fact that they had been staying in America for many years. He was yet to get a job and his money was dwindling down. Do you know what he did? He sent the money back home to his account and kept a little,and was managing that until he got a survival job. The money came handy when it was time for him to move into his own apartment. If not he would have squandered every dime and be at the mercy of his host, and here in America, everybody bears his father's name!

The MOST important advise of all is that, DO NOT OVER STAY YOUR WELCOME IN YOUR HOST HOME! It will cause strife!
http://americajourney..com/

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Another British College Looses U.K.B.A. Trusted Status. / Any Nigerian Student Studying Medicine In France? / Check This Out! World Best

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.