Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,994 members, 7,810,769 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:00 PM

What's The Difference Between A Smart Student And A Brilliant Student - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What's The Difference Between A Smart Student And A Brilliant Student (24973 Views)

Things That Can Make Or Mar A Brilliant Student. / Things That Can Make Or Mar A Brilliant Student. (with Examples) / Uniport 2011/2012 Newly Admitted Student And Aspirants Meet Here:: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

What's The Difference Between A Smart Student And A Brilliant Student by mayorme(m): 6:26pm On Oct 16, 2012
Just for example, take 2 students who wrote an exam and passed. In few years later, one student was able to solve thesame problem effectively and the other was not, to me, i feel the one that was able to solve d problem was the the smart one cos most brilliant students i know, just study to pass and they can't reproduce what they just learnt in year to come. This thread is opened for meaningful suggestions. Thanks

2 Likes

Re: What's The Difference Between A Smart Student And A Brilliant Student by k2039: 6:42pm On Oct 16, 2012
IMHO

The smart ones know how to get the good grades(they work with the necessary materials)

The brilliant ones are the intelligient ones,who actually understand the concept.

In future the brilliants one's can reproduce what they learnt in the future since they understand the basic concept.

10 Likes

Re: What's The Difference Between A Smart Student And A Brilliant Student by Nobody: 8:48pm On Oct 16, 2012
Seconded
Re: What's The Difference Between A Smart Student And A Brilliant Student by mayorme(m): 10:36pm On Oct 16, 2012
to me, i feel a smart student is better than a brilliant student. How do you term a student that crams and pass an examination, brilliant or smart. To me, to be able to cram, u re brilliant but not smart

5 Likes

Re: What's The Difference Between A Smart Student And A Brilliant Student by Herbeeb11: 6:27am On Oct 17, 2012
For me you could have said gifted student nt smart student because smart student can only make all d neccessary material 2 pass exam, even if na wit malpractice{expo} nd brilliant student are the average one's that use their possible best 2 pass there examz and under probability if they can remember in future,so i tink u are clear nøw if any kindly add urz..<am out>

2 Likes

Re: What's The Difference Between A Smart Student And A Brilliant Student by Alaafialoro(m): 8:36am On Oct 17, 2012
k2039: IMHO

The smart ones know how to get the good grades(they work with the necessary materials)

The brilliant ones are the intelligient ones,who actually understand the concept.

In future the brilliants one's can reproduce what they learnt in the future since they understand the basic concept.

^^^seconded! GBAM!!

4 Likes

Re: What's The Difference Between A Smart Student And A Brilliant Student by LoaditeDOTcom: 2:46pm On Oct 17, 2012
DIF IS 2 FAR
Re: What's The Difference Between A Smart Student And A Brilliant Student by LoaditeDOTcom: 2:47pm On Oct 17, 2012
Wizee: Seconded
it is just like whats d dif betw BIG & LARGE
Re: What's The Difference Between A Smart Student And A Brilliant Student by LoaditeDOTcom: 2:48pm On Oct 17, 2012
[b]briliant na to KNW BOOK, smart na to WISE

6 Likes

Re: What's The Difference Between A Smart Student And A Brilliant Student by alfredo4u(m): 2:50pm On Oct 17, 2012
4 u to knw d d/f. Find out d meanin of smart and brillant. Smart guys uses runs to pass y brillant guys study and pass.

3 Likes

Re: What's The Difference Between A Smart Student And A Brilliant Student by Nobody: 2:55pm On Oct 17, 2012
No wonder smart students ends up owning a company or whatever and the brilliant once come working for 'em.

4 Likes

Re: What's The Difference Between A Smart Student And A Brilliant Student by megxo(m): 2:57pm On Oct 17, 2012
k2039: IMHO

HE HAF ANSAD< THREAD CLOSED cool

1 Like

Re: What's The Difference Between A Smart Student And A Brilliant Student by walexydon(m): 3:03pm On Oct 17, 2012
the smart 1s know what is needed to be done to pass their exams without necessarily over-stressing their brains...while the brilliant 1s are the "efikos" and "efiwes"...they read, study and pass!!!
Re: What's The Difference Between A Smart Student And A Brilliant Student by 1025: 3:04pm On Oct 17, 2012
a smart student fit no sabi book ooo but him go pass. to a smart student, the end justifies the means while a briliant student sabi book. a briliant student fit no dey smart as him too dey believe in knowledge.
a smart student can be said to be a result oriented student while the briliant one believes in knowledge.
if you further look at it, smart students are more of the nigerian products who spend 1 month in school and 2 months outside school but they pay their dues to the necessary authorities to pass. they plenty for national assembly(according to tambuwa) NYSC rejected some last week. most smart students end up with first class but they avoid oral interviews like bomb.

2 Likes

Re: What's The Difference Between A Smart Student And A Brilliant Student by jimjones: 3:06pm On Oct 17, 2012
smart people know how to get the best outta brilliant people. that's all you need to know, poster.

4 Likes

Re: What's The Difference Between A Smart Student And A Brilliant Student by Nobody: 3:06pm On Oct 17, 2012
In Nigeria, most of us are smart students. That's why they call us giant of Africa.

1 Like

Re: What's The Difference Between A Smart Student And A Brilliant Student by takedat(m): 3:07pm On Oct 17, 2012
Brilliant students end up working for the Smart ones,it is only in exceptional cases such as Mark(facebook founder), Bill Gates and few others where you see the combination of brilliance and smart. Most Nigerian successful business owners are the smart ones, a person like Dangote is a smart guy who has a lot of Phd holders working for him
Re: What's The Difference Between A Smart Student And A Brilliant Student by tempex88(m): 3:16pm On Oct 17, 2012
Exams are no thorough test of knowledge and i have discovered 70% of what is learnt in school is either obsolete or can not be applied in a real life situation.
Micheal Faraday had no formal Education
Aliko dangote had no formal education
Bill gates abadoned formal university education
The list is endless
so for me education has nothing to do with smartness and brilliance

5 Likes

Re: What's The Difference Between A Smart Student And A Brilliant Student by lekkie073(m): 3:23pm On Oct 17, 2012
a smart student knows different methods to pass....either read, giraffe or find a means to settle lecturer.
a brilliant student know only a method to passing.....read read and read

1 Like

Re: What's The Difference Between A Smart Student And A Brilliant Student by mayorme(m): 3:36pm On Oct 17, 2012
Thank you guys for your enlightenment, I read all comments and I just wanna ask if its possible to be regarded as both smart and brilliant
Re: What's The Difference Between A Smart Student And A Brilliant Student by Godmann(m): 3:39pm On Oct 17, 2012
Brilliance shows true understanding while smartness shows control, manipulation. brilliance comes from God while smartness can be evil.
Re: What's The Difference Between A Smart Student And A Brilliant Student by lekkie073(m): 3:40pm On Oct 17, 2012
mayorme: Thank you guys for your enlightenment, I read all comments and I just wanna ask if its possible to be regarded as both smart and brilliant
we dat commented on dis topic are brilliant...but u, op.....u r smart. cool
mayorme: Thank you guys for your enlightenment, I read all comments and I just wanna ask if its possible to be regarded as both smart and brilliant
we dat commented on dis topic are brilliant...but u, op.....u r smart.
Re: What's The Difference Between A Smart Student And A Brilliant Student by Nobody: 3:41pm On Oct 17, 2012
tempex88: Exams are no thorough test of knowledge and i have discovered 70% of what is learnt in school is either obsolete or can not be applied in a real life situation.
The list is endless

See where you have totally foooooked up. Which formal education did they abandon? Bill gates left school AFTER he had acquired KNOWLEDGE GOOD enough to enable him work on the project that turned into microsoft. You think he just "KNEW" programming out of his mothers womb? The reason why we are sent to school is to develop our brains. For most, the development ends after secondary school. Any new info is basically rejected. College/University courses are designed just for you to apply knowledge you gained from kindergarten through high school. You really don't "LEARN" new things anymore. You are just made aware of different scenarios happening around you. The reason you know what you know or you are who you are is your FOUNDATION. The reason you are able to solve differential equations in college is because you were given the FOUNDATION (how to add 2+2) in your early years.
Your arguement can only hold water if those guys had no elementary/secondary education.

4 Likes

Re: What's The Difference Between A Smart Student And A Brilliant Student by Nobody: 3:42pm On Oct 17, 2012
mayorme: to me, i feel a smart student is better than a brilliant student. How do you term a student that crams and pass an examination, brilliant or smart. To me, to be able to cram, u re brilliant but not smart

I cram this particular stuff on Bismarck Alliance in Europe when I was on in year 1 and up till date,i can still explain what the concept is all about.I think being brilliant is the key thing here cuz you know more than a smart student who is just using his own ideas.It takes a brilliant student to be a first-class graduate !

2 Likes

Re: What's The Difference Between A Smart Student And A Brilliant Student by Nobody: 3:42pm On Oct 17, 2012
We should learn to differentiate between a smart student and a dubious student. Passing examination by mal practice is not a smart thing because almost evrybody can do it. These days most student do it and as such many student are dubious students. Most dubious student find it difficult getting a Job on thier own without external help from friends and families and as such most of them can only get average job. Smart students on the other hand are few. they dont rely on malparactice, but they know what to read, where to read and how to read to pass thier exam. Most smart student just go after the grade because they know whenever they need the concept after school, they can always sturdy the book again even five years after school. As a result they understand that passing thier exam is more important when they are in school. The brilliant ones spend much of thier energy reading and knowing what they dont need. Thus both the Smart and brilliant student get the big Jobs in multinationals where skilled and ability are the requirement. And also where who know man are minimal. But however the smart student are still more likely to succeed in difficult economy like nigeria.

7 Likes

Re: What's The Difference Between A Smart Student And A Brilliant Student by 1stknight(m): 3:52pm On Oct 17, 2012
tempex88: Exams are no thorough test of knowledge and i have discovered 70% of what is learnt in school is either obsolete or can not be applied in a real life situation.
The list is endless

And who told you that Aliko Dangote had no formal education, you guys just look for a way to rubbish education, why don 't you talk about Alan Page and Sergey Brin(Google founders), 'cos they have phD in Computer science.

1 Like

Re: What's The Difference Between A Smart Student And A Brilliant Student by Nobody: 3:52pm On Oct 17, 2012
Na people wey no sabi book dey console themselves with this kind baseless comparisons. In any case, "brilliant" and "smart" are essentially synonymous. A comparison of 'smart' students and 'brilliant' students is therefore somewhat tautological.

The only reason people go to school is to learn, and the only way to assess how well they have learnt what they are supposed to learn is through examinations, tests, etc. Now, where a student successfully passes examinations, it is reasonable to conclude that he or she is superior to the student who performed poorly in the same examination, all other things being equal.

80% of the time, genuine academic performance (not 'arranged' certificates oh) is a reliable indicator of intellectual ability - otherwise, there would be no need for examinations/tests/assignments in formal education. Admittedly, there are few examples of individuals who did not perform so well in school for one reason or the other but turned out better performers in professional/practical contexts. These are deviations from the norm, and should not serve as basis for needless comparisons.

There is no point making excuses for one's academic deficiencies; no be everybody must sabi book. One might not be gifted in academics, but might be extremely gifted in other areas through which they can become very successful and rich. Examples such as Mike Tyson, Timaya, 2face, Mr. Ibu, Tompolo (lol), Mario Balotelli, etc. readily come to mind. Don't bother comparing yourself with the likes of Bill Gates, Mark Zuckerberg, etc. who supposedly dropped out of school to start their businesses. These geniuses dropped out not because they could not cope with school, but because they did NOT need school. They were too gifted academically, intellectually and otherwise to waste precious time in school. Those certified olodos that like consoling themselves with Bill Gates' example should find more appropriate examples/role models.

5 Likes

Re: What's The Difference Between A Smart Student And A Brilliant Student by Youngzedd(m): 3:53pm On Oct 17, 2012
1025: a smart student fit no sabi book ooo but him go pass. to a smart student, the end justifies the means while a briliant student sabi book. a briliant student fit no dey smart as him too dey believe in knowledge.
a smart student can be said to be a result oriented student while the briliant one believes in knowledge.
if you further look at it, smart students are more of the nigerian products who spend 1 month in school and 2 months outside school but they pay their dues to the necessary authorities to pass. they plenty for national assembly(according to tambuwa) NYSC rejected some last week. most smart students end up with first class but they avoid oral interviews like bomb.

Case dismiss.
Re: What's The Difference Between A Smart Student And A Brilliant Student by oladayo042: 4:00pm On Oct 17, 2012
A smart student makes the best use of his valuable resources (reading time and effort). Anyway, the smart and the brillant students may meet at the same junction in academic performance.
Re: What's The Difference Between A Smart Student And A Brilliant Student by ritux: 4:05pm On Oct 17, 2012
aaronson: No wonder smart students ends up owning a company or whatever and the brilliant once come working for 'em.

Exactly my thought. In most cases, the smart ones end up being entrepreneur in the future and the will employ the brilliant ones to manage and run their companies
Re: What's The Difference Between A Smart Student And A Brilliant Student by Nobody: 4:05pm On Oct 17, 2012
One Word: Sorting! grin grin grin
Re: What's The Difference Between A Smart Student And A Brilliant Student by kool05(m): 4:06pm On Oct 17, 2012
The smart ones employ the brilliants... mho

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Dr N. Osadebe: UNN Lecturer Victimizing Final Year Student Exposed / United Kingdom Blacklists Nigerian Universities / University Of Ilorin 2016/2017 Admission List Is Out

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.