Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,762 members, 7,824,186 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:36 AM

Things That Can Make Or Mar A Brilliant Student. (with Examples) - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Things That Can Make Or Mar A Brilliant Student. (with Examples) (11290 Views)

Saidat Sanni Is LAUTECH Best Student With 4.88 Cgp(pic / See What This GUY Said About UNILAG Student With First Class / Student With Small-Stout While Reading For Exams (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Things That Can Make Or Mar A Brilliant Student. (with Examples) by Donfamous(m): 10:54am On Oct 09, 2014
Do not be obsessed, if my illustrations will be based only on secondary school experiences, because that's the only institutional experience I have for now.
This thread is purposely for those who are brilliant before but feels something is wrong somewhere now, or those who are facing difficulties in place of studies.
So my points will be analysed on double basis.
Teachers/lecturers I purposely had to put this as first, many students find it difficult to understand their lecturers because s/he(lecturers) haven't find a style or pattern to teach, some lecturers are sadist which makes their class dull and uninteresting, while some aren't even qualified for the job.
I remember when we went for gce, when we came back, peeps were just complaining, because only 40-50% of all what we were taught came out, where as some questions were totally strange,
Most teachers have been teaching for so many years but haven't developed an good pattern, had a physices teacher whom I can boast knows the whole physics text book off hand, ranging from the scheme of work to the last page, but alas! We don't enjoy his class, he might forget what he want to say, and he won't want to check the text books, so he might spend 30 min teaching a topic of 10 min, and when exam comes 90 % of the class will fail, physics isn't just a subject u can pick and start copying note, but how notes and lectures aren't complete,
Where as we have a geography teacher who teaches with passion, his style is he that he gives test but doesn't mark it, he comes to class unexpectedly, and gives u test, and you dare not get below average, his reason is that, during d general test we are prone to cheat, so this time around he's going to invigilate, Αnd immediately he is through, he flogs those who fail, and records the score instantly, so we are always prepared for his class no wonder every one of us passed his subject in waec, and his teaching is always accurate and straight to the point, and the ways he coordinates map reading class is d best. lalasticlala please help our brothers nd sisters sitting for jamb and waec

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Things That Can Make Or Mar A Brilliant Student. (with Examples) by Donfamous(m): 10:54am On Oct 09, 2014
2. understanding oneself when the result of 2nd term SS2 came out, I pitied my friend samuel, because his result was below expectations, so he made up his mind to read like a mad dog the following term, when it was the following term he read to the extent that I was intimidated, how person go dey read and solve maths like this I said, he will read for hours but just have a little break, it was time for exam, again, we all wrote it and the result came out, but behold his performance wasn't different from that of last terms own, what's wrong, is it that his brain is now porous or what?
Also there are these twins who a geek, they can read from morning till night, or u AV to start begging them to stop, they found a cool spot in chemistry lab where they read anytime they are less busy, yet the this twin hardly get above 60%, then something must be wrong somewhere.
The answer is, many people doesn't understand themselves, u need to know the best time for you to read, I can't read overnight, neither can I read for 2 hrs without goin for atleast 30 min break, and the best time I read is when I've just woken up, be it in the morning or after a little nap, some peeps will tell you they assimilate best after listening to music, so don't over stress your brain, do what works for you, sometimes most of us read because our friends are reading, at last we get tired easily. Know the best time to read and time to solve arithmetic, like maths should be solved in the morning, mostly. And not in the afternoon when your brain is already hot, play when necessary, talk when its important, and read when ought to, reading 24/7 doesn't guarantee
1st class
3. school environment when I was in Jss2 after break like this when every one is still sweating like goats and at the same time preparing for the next periods, that's when a mosque close to us, will start praying loni ki kan ki kan, and before they tend to stop, a mini garage beside the school will start using their own mic to shout mowe ibafo, moew ibafo ewole ke Jo koo, ewo le ke sit down, that's how they will continue till some teachers will become frustrated, and at the end we gain Little or nothing after most break time.

1 Like

Re: Things That Can Make Or Mar A Brilliant Student. (with Examples) by Donfamous(m): 10:55am On Oct 09, 2014
4 Tutorial guy see these school Sabi book die, my friend that was just coming from a jets (junior engineering technician scientists) competition told MƐ, ehn ehn I responded, he went further by saying they came first in the competition, and that wasn't the koko, the main thing is that, they almost trippled the school that came seconds score, I was amazed,
So by the time we also organised our school jet competition, this guys came, and I've been told they are hot, ( a boy and a girl) so the competition was going on smoothly, it was exactly what I was Told, that's the way I met them, these guys never missed a question, moreover they were getting all the bonuses meant for others, that they also gave a wide differences between them (d first) and the school that came second, I was astonished by their prowess, then a friend who saw the was I was looking in awe came to MƐ and told MƐ he knows those guys, interested in what he was saying I listened carefully, he said they were his lesson mate, that the guys and the girl started the lesson right from when they were in jss1 and the both are the senior prefects of their school, (head boy and girl respectively), I really envied those guys, so lesson is good, but it can mar ppl also, many go there for dressing competition, to woo a fine babe, especially evening class, but some go there determined to succeed, was wondering how that my friend wasn't as good as those guys because I remember when he started the lesson in jss3, he was damn hot then, but later became cold, but anyway if you can afford it, try it. Most of their teachers are always trying to be creative, they'll give you short cut to solving problems, which are very useful in jamb and obj settings, they'll make sure you are being
Taught well, because that's their means of lively hood.

5. Friends who you are determines the type of people you'll see around you. That's the case of one guru, guy who later became senior prefect, his friends are damn hot!!! When it comes to book, I heard that whenever they are going home they do challenge one another, (there are about 5-6 of them) so when you are being asked a question and u don't get it right, they'll laugh and at times rubbish, so you as a person will want to revenge so you go home and read extra hard,
But my own case isn't like that, its only on test and exam day, you'll see MƐ and some my friends tackling one another with questions and from there you pick one or two points, and you are good to go, show MƐ your friends and I tell you who you are that's the case, a bad boy will move with his peeps, while if you are ready to succeed you'll walk with those who have the same mindset as you.

2 Likes

Re: Things That Can Make Or Mar A Brilliant Student. (with Examples) by Donfamous(m): 10:56am On Oct 09, 2014
6. Choice of textbooks many people are confused about the type of textbooks to use, but if I'll advice, you should know some people who are experienced in your field and area of study, so they should able to advice, and also when preparing for exams especially external ones, you should combine 2-3 textbooks for a subject, in other to compare and contrast, and also for better understanding, for those that want to write jamb next year, lemme give you some textbooks that will be suitable, (for science students only.)
biology no biology text book as been able to displace modern biology, sO that the best text book for biology as far as I'♏ concerned, you can combine it witha any other of ur choice ,
chemistry new school chemistry is also the best I've used so far otherwise known as ababio chemistry, u can also combine with any other text book of ur choice
physics has no specific text books, most of them keep copying and pasting, used p,n okeke (senior second school physics) but dint enjoy it pretty much, used the over hyped principle of physics, its explanation is very good, but you have less problems to solve thinking that all is well till you get to the exam hall, the d best I've used do far is called science physics written by a man called Afolabi j.r, ( he gives at least 20 jamb questions on a particular topic from the original jamb past questions and he'll solve it accordingly, he also gives other past question from, neco waec gce, in some topics you'll AV about 70 questions in form of examples with reasonable answers
maths its still. New general maths, followed by comprehensive maths, (stands to be corrected)
English invisible teacher is highly recommendeable
So get the best textbooks by consulting people who knows better than you

1 Like

Re: Things That Can Make Or Mar A Brilliant Student. (with Examples) by Donfamous(m): 10:57am On Oct 09, 2014
7. Over dependence on calculator 2+2= ? Even though you know it, you must still confirm from using your calculator, the best calculators ranges from casio 991ms to casio 991 -es, to casio 991-es +. These calculator can solve so many problems, like matrix, binary, denary, permutations etc, so we feel no need to understand those topics deep as long as u can punch your 2thousand naira calculator, forgetting that a day is coming where you won't be able to make you of them, by then u'll be totally confused, and you will feel that part of your body is missing lolz. Let's learn to minimise the use of things like this.

using tactics and codes remember then whenn we were asked to know the whole botanical names of grasses and legumes off hand, I was perplexed then but went to meet a class mate of ♏ine who later told MƐ that she knows her own by using it to compose a song, which I later did, I used code to know the trend of ionization energy, atomice radius etc in chemistry, used sentence in biology, to know the passage of air, (no person lacks voice teach better and best always) which mean, nose-pharynx-larynx-voice box- trachea-bronchus-bronchioles- alveoli,
Used the song (there shall be showers of blessing to know the first twenty elemen) hydrogen, helium, lithium, (follow d trend and u'll get it, for example when it gets to d place u'll shout showers of blessing( aluminium) u know its long lolz, so just be creative, and the bible says if anyone on you lacks wisdom let him ask.(d best advice so far) cos Gods wisdom is witout shadow of turning. God bless,

Correction, addition, subtraction, are all welcome

2 Likes

Re: Things That Can Make Or Mar A Brilliant Student. (with Examples) by Donfamous(m): 10:57am On Oct 09, 2014
Re: Things That Can Make Or Mar A Brilliant Student. (with Examples) by kristein(m): 11:03am On Oct 09, 2014
true talk.unlike me i was very gud bak in my juniour skul dayz,bt afta,startin from sss skul i nw began to diminish academically all bcs i was influence by friendz in chasin girls,we cal it big boy tinz.bt as @ nw dt am plannin to further more to d higher institution,i tink it wil stop nd i'll pay mor focus nd attention to my studies..

@op-gud wrk there.

1 Like

Re: Things That Can Make Or Mar A Brilliant Student. (with Examples) by kristein(m): 11:04am On Oct 09, 2014
true talk.unlike me i was very gud bak in my juniour skul dayz,bt afta,startin from sss skul i nw began to diminish academically all bcs i was influence by friendz in chasin girls,we cal it "big boy tinz".bt as @ nw dt am plannin to further more to d higher institution,i tink it wil stop nd i'll pay mor focus nd attention to my studies..

@op-gud wrk there.
Re: Things That Can Make Or Mar A Brilliant Student. (with Examples) by mesoade(m): 11:54am On Oct 09, 2014
Very true,personal experience.

Through my JSS1-SS1 i was very good ,but when i started my SS2,i had a gf and my grades started dropping,her being my first love,i'll b thinking all day abt her nd stuffs like dat,i knew my grades were dropping bt i thought i really had nothing to do wit our relationship.
The whole thing was frustrating at first,I dat usually scores 90-70% nw started having scores as low as 40%,those that i'm defeating in class nd had respect 4 me started having little or no respect 4 me.
I thought i'l change thats it just a matter of tym,little did i knw that d greatest deceit is deceiving oneself,to cut d story shorter,i became used to d scores nd wasn't downcasted as i quondamly was.

We broke up,3rd term SS2. . lo and behold! My grades started rising i restored d mathematics geek that i was once was and the respect i once had.

My SS3 Was so fyn as i had had my waec in SS2(surprised?) nd was prep. 4 jamb . . I represented d skul in diff. Competitions,i wrote d NNPC(4th in d state) d olympiads(1st in d state) i wrote d cowbells(was sick,didn't evn bother checkin my position).

So what i'm i driving at?

I don't know for you,but for me and the experience i'd shared above,dating in sec.skul is not healthy atleast not for a geek!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Things That Can Make Or Mar A Brilliant Student. (with Examples) by mesoade(m): 12:05pm On Oct 09, 2014
Donfamous:
6. Choice of textbooks many people are confused about the type of textbooks to use, but if I'll advice, you should know some people who are experienced in your field aΩ̴̩̩̩̥d̶̲̥̅̊ area of study, so they should able to advice, aΩ̴̩̩̩̥d̶̲̥̅̊ also when preparing for exams especially external ones, you should combine 2-3 textbooks for a subject, in other to compare aΩ̴̩̩̩̥d̶̲̥̅̊ contrast, aΩ̴̩̩̩̥d̶̲̥̅̊ also for better understanding, for those that want to write jamb next year, lemme give you some textbooks that will be suitable, (for science students only.)
biology Ŋø̲̣̣̥ø̲̣̣̥ø̲̣̣̥ biology text book as been able to displace modern biology, sO that the best text book for biology as far as I'♏ concerned, you can combine it witha any other of ur choice ,
chemistry new school chemistry is also the best I've used so far otherwise known as ababio chemistry, u can also combine with any other text book of ur choice
physics has Ŋø̲̣̣̥ø̲̣̣̥ø̲̣̣̥ specific text books, most of them keep copying aΩ̴̩̩̩̥d̶̲̥̅̊ pasting, used p,n okeke (senior second school physics) but dint enjoy it pretty much, used the over hyped principle of physics, its explanation is very good, but you have less problems to solve thinking that all is well till you get to the exam hall, the d best I've used do far is called science physics written by a man called Afolabi j.r, ( he gives at least 20 jamb questions on a particular topic from the original jamb past questions aΩ̴̩̩̩̥d̶̲̥̅̊ he'll solve it accordingly, he also gives other past question from, neco waec gce, in some topics you'll AV about 70 questions in form of examples with reasonable answers
maths its still. New general maths, followed by comprehensive maths, (stands to be corrected)
English invisible teacher is highly recommendeable
So get the best textbooks by consulting people who knows better than you
Biology=modern biology,new system biology(especially in endocrine glands).

Chemistry=new school chemistry(for explanations),lamlad's chemistry(for calculations and organic chemistry) . . Most ppl aint good in calculations under chemistry nd hate organic chemistry cos dey only read new school chemistry.

Physics=new school physics,senior secondary school physics(for explanations),lamlad's physics(for raw calculations)
Re: Things That Can Make Or Mar A Brilliant Student. (with Examples) by Donfamous(m): 12:12pm On Oct 09, 2014
mesoade:

Chemistry=new school chemistry(for explanations),lamlad's chemistry(for calculations and organic chemistry) . . Most ppl aint good in calculations under chemistry nd hate organic chemistry cos dey only read new school chemistry.

Physics=new school physics,senior secondary school physics(for explanations),lamlad's physics(for raw calculations)
thnx for d wonderful contribution
Re: Things That Can Make Or Mar A Brilliant Student. (with Examples) by Donfamous(m): 12:14pm On Oct 09, 2014
kristein:
true talk.unlike me i was very gud bak in my juniour skul dayz,bt afta,startin from sss skul i nw began to diminish academically all bcs i was influence by friendz in chasin girls,we cal it "big boy tinz".bt as @ nw dt am plannin to further more to d higher institution,i tink it wil stop nd i'll pay mor focus nd attention to my studies..

@op-gud wrk there.
thnx, focus is all we need, thnx for sharing your experience
Re: Things That Can Make Or Mar A Brilliant Student. (with Examples) by Donfamous(m): 12:16pm On Oct 09, 2014
mesoade:
Very true,personal experience.

Through my JSS1-SS1 i was very good ,but when i started my SS2,i had a gf and my grades started dropping,her being my first love,i'll b thinking all day abt her nd stuffs like dat,i knew my grades were dropping bt i thought i really had nothing to do wit our relationship.
The whole thing was frustrating at first,I dat usually scores 90-70% nw started having scores as low as 40%,those that i'm defeating in class nd had respect 4 me started having little or no respect 4 me.
I thought i'l change thats it just a matter of tym,little did i knw that d greatest deceit is deceiving oneself,to cut d story shorter,i became used to d scores nd wasn't downcasted as i quondamly was.

We broke up,3rd term SS2. . lo and behold! My grades started rising i restored d mathematics geek that i was once was and the respect i once had.

My SS3 Was so fyn as i had had my waec in SS2(surprised?) nd was prep. 4 jamb . . I represented d skul in diff. Competitions,i wrote d NNPC(4th in d state) d olympiads(1st in d state) i wrote d cowbells(was sick,didn't evn bother checkin my position).

So what i'm i driving at?

I don't know for you,but for me and the experience i'd shared above,dating in sec.skul is not healthy atleast not for a geek!
ur relationship could have marred your ur intelligence, thank God you broke up on time, mayve it also affected MƐƐ aΩ̴̩̩̩̥d̶̲̥̅̊ I dint know, well goodluck Bro, so which school are you now?, followed you, kindly follow back
Re: Things That Can Make Or Mar A Brilliant Student. (with Examples) by mesoade(m): 12:21pm On Oct 09, 2014
Donfamous:
ur relationship could have marred your ur intelligence, thank God you broke up on time, mayve it also affected MƐƐ aΩ̴̩̩̩̥d̶̲̥̅̊ I dint know, well goodluck Bro, so which school are you now?
chose medicine in uniben,i had five marks below d cut-off nd was given MCB.
Re: Things That Can Make Or Mar A Brilliant Student. (with Examples) by Nobody: 12:49pm On Oct 09, 2014
Brilliance? Reading, reading and reading some more. Intelligence is inborn.
Re: Things That Can Make Or Mar A Brilliant Student. (with Examples) by Nobody: 12:59pm On Oct 09, 2014
I find it funny when people say their grades went south because of relationships. It actually made mine higher. I loved the attention, and that was my trump card for getting it.
Re: Things That Can Make Or Mar A Brilliant Student. (with Examples) by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 2:18pm On Oct 09, 2014
mesoade:

new school physics by MW Anyakoha, right?
Re: Things That Can Make Or Mar A Brilliant Student. (with Examples) by mesoade(m): 2:38pm On Oct 09, 2014
InyinyaAgbaOku:

new school physics by MW Anyakoha, right?
yea
Re: Things That Can Make Or Mar A Brilliant Student. (with Examples) by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 2:54pm On Oct 09, 2014
mesoade:
yea
MW Anyakoha is the best physics textbook
Re: Things That Can Make Or Mar A Brilliant Student. (with Examples) by Donfamous(m): 3:52pm On Oct 09, 2014
InyinyaAgbaOku:

MW Anyakoha is the best physics textbook
so bad that I never heard about it sha
Re: Things That Can Make Or Mar A Brilliant Student. (with Examples) by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 3:56pm On Oct 09, 2014
Donfamous:
so bad that I never heard about it sha

New School Physics.
MW anyakoha co -wrote the renowned textbook you know, Textbook of physics by PN Okeke
when did you write waec, Lol. if it has been that long, you might not know it anyway
Re: Things That Can Make Or Mar A Brilliant Student. (with Examples) by MisterRight(m): 3:56pm On Oct 09, 2014
Op, I'mm moved, God bless you for this write up

1 Like

Re: Things That Can Make Or Mar A Brilliant Student. (with Examples) by MisterRight(m): 4:03pm On Oct 09, 2014
benromeo39:
I find it funny when people say their grades went south because of relationships. It actually made mine higher. I loved the attention, and that was my trump card for getting it.
same here boss, it doesn't affect MƐ either, it even hurts more when you are lonely, once had a teacher who said his greatest motivation is life is dating a class mate, because she'll definitely ask questions in the exam hall, aΩ̴̩̩̩̥d̶̲̥̅̊ for you to show that you are man enough you've gat to prepare to answer every bit of her question which will eventually make you read harder, so I think its differnt strokes for differnt folks
Re: Things That Can Make Or Mar A Brilliant Student. (with Examples) by jorrn: 4:12pm On Oct 09, 2014
To prepare for jamb make sure you read New system Biology and combine it with Biological science but note, don't bother reading too much of the biological science because it is advance... Just find little things in it that you need to know... Goodluck.
Re: Things That Can Make Or Mar A Brilliant Student. (with Examples) by fr3do(m): 4:16pm On Oct 09, 2014
Grades drop the most at Jss2, Sss2 and 200l
Re: Things That Can Make Or Mar A Brilliant Student. (with Examples) by EejaNla01(m): 4:30pm On Oct 09, 2014
RELATIONSHIP
BAD FRIENDS
READING UNNECESSARY TEXT BOOK
I TOO KNOW
SADISTS LECTURER/TEACHER ETC

All in all ensure you work hard,mingle with good friend,seek for one on one lessons nd pray hard .
Re: Things That Can Make Or Mar A Brilliant Student. (with Examples) by Nobody: 5:15pm On Oct 09, 2014
nice one op smiley
Re: Things That Can Make Or Mar A Brilliant Student. (with Examples) by Nobody: 5:15pm On Oct 09, 2014
it is also good to stay focused in class everyone knows some courses can be boring,u just have to be keep your eye on the lecturer ,your ears wide open and takes notes.Taking notes will help you think and help you understand what is being taught more.
Re: Things That Can Make Or Mar A Brilliant Student. (with Examples) by Nobody: 5:27pm On Oct 09, 2014
God Is The Most important thing that can make or Mar any Student...Brilliant or not...
Re: Things That Can Make Or Mar A Brilliant Student. (with Examples) by Suresh08: 5:27pm On Oct 09, 2014
Re: Things That Can Make Or Mar A Brilliant Student. (with Examples) by kellyJames5(m): 5:44pm On Oct 09, 2014
A very nice piece of write up!
The relationship issue do affect some people,wanted to affect me but I noticed very early and stopped.
But the truth of the matter is that as a brilliant student,girls will not allow you to be,this was what I faced back then,but thank God I noticed early and held my emotions and that helped me throughout my secondary school as I always top the class.
Furthermore,friends you keep matters a lot,as they will DEFINITELY have influence on you,when I was in Secondary school,I made friends with guys both in my class and those above me,you need to see this guys! Geniuses!! And it really helped me.
Moreover,lesson is of utmost important because as we all know,no teacher in any school can cover the scheme of work,and in external exam,the BODY will definitely set their questions whether the teacher taught it or not,so lesson centres compliment the teachers effort.
Finally,be dedicated,focused,determined and hard working,because Bible made it clear that 'a man diligent in his ways(studies)shall stand before kings and not mere men'.
Shalom!

(1) (2) (Reply)

UNIUYO: Federal Government To Inaugurate 1000-bed Hostel (Photos) / OAU Post-UTME: 35.823 Students Only 7.663 Scored 200 & Above / Kaduna Govt Sacks 4,562 Newly-recruited Teachers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.